What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Video games...what ya playing? And what are you looking forward to? (10 Viewers)

Wow, I just looked over all the new releases for PC for now till the end of the year, and it is an absolute blowfest. I cannot see myself buying any of it, so I guess it is a good time to have all those RPG's ready and waiting.
Civ V down?

Installing Dragon Age now, still have Fallout 3 sitting here staring at me uninstalled, and ME2 is on the way. :nerd: overload indeed.

I have not played BFBC2 in quite a while.
when is BFBC2 expansion pack coming out?
They do not have any announced expansion packs. They have the joke that is Vietnam, but I cannot see myself buying it at this point. They had booster packs with BF2 which were cool - adding weapons to unlock, new maps and such. Those ran $10 and were a lot of fun. The lack of anything with BFBC2 is disconcerting. It is like they are in Call of Duty mode, also know as Madden mode. Why release a smaller paid update when you can just release an update under the guise of a new full game a year later for full :ph34r: No updates for BFBC2 so they can crank out the Vietnam game and MOH crapfest.Piss off DICE for that one.
:lol: BC2 was flat-out awesome for a while. Hell, I actually logged 20 hours in the demo, and then put another 166 hours into the game itself. But the lack of any meaningful new maps was brutal. You can only play Nelson Bay and Arica Harbor so many times before they get stale. That and the fact that they let the console servers stay super-laggy for several weeks finally sent me packing. I think DICE over-extended themselves, and it showed.

Installing Dragon Age now, still have Fallout 3 sitting here staring at me uninstalled, and ME2 is on the way. :lol: overload indeed.

I have not played BFBC2 in quite a while.
when is BFBC2 expansion pack coming out?
They do not have any announced expansion packs. They have the joke that is Vietnam, but I cannot see myself buying it at this point. They had booster packs with BF2 which were cool - adding weapons to unlock, new maps and such. Those ran $10 and were a lot of fun. The lack of anything with BFBC2 is disconcerting. It is like they are in Call of Duty mode, also know as Madden mode. Why release a smaller paid update when you can just release an update under the guise of a new full game a year later for full :moneybag: No updates for BFBC2 so they can crank out the Vietnam game and MOH crapfest.Piss off DICE for that one.
:moneybag: BC2 was flat-out awesome for a while. Hell, I actually logged 20 hours in the demo, and then put another 166 hours into the game itself. But the lack of any meaningful new maps was brutal. You can only play Nelson Bay and Arica Harbor so many times before they get stale. That and the fact that they let the console servers stay super-laggy for several weeks finally sent me packing. I think DICE over-extended themselves, and it showed.
We have basically the same exact story with BC2. Played the demo for 25 hours and logged another 100+ hours on the released game. I would still be playing it if there would have been two or three map packs now adding 10-12 maps in total. Fun game, bad support.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, I just looked over all the new releases for PC for now till the end of the year, and it is an absolute blowfest. I cannot see myself buying any of it, so I guess it is a good time to have all those RPG's ready and waiting.
Civ V down?
Not a fan. :shrug:
They do not have any announced expansion packs. They have the joke that is Vietnam, but I cannot see myself buying it at this point. They had booster packs with BF2 which were cool - adding weapons to unlock, new maps and such. Those ran $10 and were a lot of fun. The lack of anything with BFBC2 is disconcerting. It is like they are in Call of Duty mode, also know as Madden mode. Why release a smaller paid update when you can just release an update under the guise of a new full game a year later for full :moneybag: No updates for BFBC2 so they can crank out the Vietnam game and MOH crapfest.

Piss off DICE for that one.
:hangover: BC2 was flat-out awesome for a while. Hell, I actually logged 20 hours in the demo, and then put another 166 hours into the game itself. But the lack of any meaningful new maps was brutal. You can only play Nelson Bay and Arica Harbor so many times before they get stale. That and the fact that they let the console servers stay super-laggy for several weeks finally sent me packing. I think DICE over-extended themselves, and it showed.
We have basically the same exact story with BC2. Played the demo for 25 hours and logged another 100+ hours on the released game. I would still be playing it if there would have been two or three map packs now adding 10-12 maps in total. Fun game, bad support.
It is a shame when so many developers go from being all about the PC gamer to throwing out shovelware. Infinity Ward was broken off of EA from the MOH group to start making CoD, with the promise of being for the gamer, not the big companies. Look at you now, Mr. Release a New Version of the Same Damn Game EVERY Twelve Months. :rant: Same for DICE, apparently. It does not take long for the dollar to change everything. I will be sad when/if that happens to Bioware.

It is a shame when so many developers go from being all about the PC gamer to throwing out shovelware. Infinity Ward was broken off of EA from the MOH group to start making CoD, with the promise of being for the gamer, not the big companies. Look at you now, Mr. Release a New Version of the Same Damn Game EVERY Twelve Months. :popcorn: Same for DICE, apparently. It does not take long for the dollar to change everything. I will be sad when/if that happens to Bioware.
Baldur's Gate - November 1998 Baldur's Gate: Tales of the Sword Coast - May 1999 - Expansion PackMDK2 - May 2000 Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn - September 2000 Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal - June 2001 - Expansion PackNeverwinter Nights - June 2002 Neverwinter Nights: Shadows of Undrentide - June 2003 - Expansion PackStar Wars: Knights of the Old Republic - November 2003 Neverwinter Nights: Hordes of the Underdark - December 2003 - Expansion Pack Jade Empire - April 2005 Mass Effect - November 2007 Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood - September 2008 Dragon Age: Origins - November 2009 Mass Effect 2 - January 2010 Dragon Age: Origins -- Awakening - March 2010 - Expansion PackStar Wars: The Old Republic - Spring 2011 Dragon Age 2 - March 2011 Mass Effect 3 - 2011/2012From the looks of this list Bioware has made twelve games and five expansion packs in a fourteen year time span. So, it seems they have always been in the pump out one game in a year or less stage. It just happens that all but two of the titles have been of the I'm all out of bubble gum variety. Which, shows how well run and organized of a company they are since production times for most games are a few year.

It is a shame when so many developers go from being all about the PC gamer to throwing out shovelware. Infinity Ward was broken off of EA from the MOH group to start making CoD, with the promise of being for the gamer, not the big companies. Look at you now, Mr. Release a New Version of the Same Damn Game EVERY Twelve Months. :shrug: Same for DICE, apparently. It does not take long for the dollar to change everything. I will be sad when/if that happens to Bioware.
Baldur's Gate - November 1998 Baldur's Gate: Tales of the Sword Coast - May 1999 - Expansion PackMDK2 - May 2000 Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn - September 2000 Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal - June 2001 - Expansion PackNeverwinter Nights - June 2002 Neverwinter Nights: Shadows of Undrentide - June 2003 - Expansion PackStar Wars: Knights of the Old Republic - November 2003 Neverwinter Nights: Hordes of the Underdark - December 2003 - Expansion Pack Jade Empire - April 2005 Mass Effect - November 2007 Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood - September 2008 Dragon Age: Origins - November 2009 Mass Effect 2 - January 2010 Dragon Age: Origins -- Awakening - March 2010 - Expansion PackStar Wars: The Old Republic - Spring 2011 Dragon Age 2 - March 2011 Mass Effect 3 - 2011/2012From the looks of this list Bioware has made twelve games and five expansion packs in a fourteen year time span. So, it seems they have always been in the pump out one game in a year or less stage. It just happens that all but two of the titles have been of the I'm all out of bubble gum variety. Which, shows how well run and organized of a company they are since production times for most games are a few year.
My point is more directed along the lines of Call of Duty:MW November 2008. CoD:MW2 November 2009. CoD:BO November 2010. You cannot create an entirely new game in a year's time of that magnitude. It is rehashing the same engine. Now the NWN series was simply amazing. I love each of those expansions and they added a lot of gameplay. Nonetheless, to each their own.Kudos to Bioware on not being behind the 2 stinkers of sequels in KOTOR 2 and NWN 2, as well.

My point is more directed along the lines of Call of Duty:MW November 2008. CoD:MW2 November 2009. CoD:BO November 2010. You cannot create an entirely new game in a year's time of that magnitude. It is rehashing the same engine. Now the NWN series was simply amazing. I love each of those expansions and they added a lot of gameplay. Nonetheless, to each their own.

Kudos to Bioware on not being behind the 2 stinkers of sequels in KOTOR 2 and NWN 2, as well.
COD: Modern Warfare (1) was released Nov. 2007. COD: World at War came in '08, MW2 in '09 and Black Ops in '10. Infinity Ward and Treyarch alternated COD releases, meaning Infinity Ward had two years between MW releases. :confused:

Looks like Dragon Age will be here today, not Monday. :hot:
Take the advice posted earlier and play through each of the intro quests but don't progress beyond that. Then, choose which character and storyline you find most compelling.Each intro quest is probably around 1-2 hours of gameplay.
I looked so forward to Dragon Age only to be extremely disappointed. The cut scenes go on for ever and the fighting system leaves a bit to be desired on a console.I should have gone the Demon's Souls route which I have now rectified and hope to start shortly.

IvanKaramazov said:
NewlyRetired said:
I should have gone the Demon's Souls route which I have now rectified and hope to start shortly.
:YouDied:
I agree the "you died" part of Demon's Souls wouldn't fit other games, but the combat itself would.

I will be on later tonight for some Gears, starting the Castlevania co-op, or starting the tomb raider co-op depending whop is online.

Sent you a friends request Nodnarb.

IvanKaramazov said:
NewlyRetired said:
I should have gone the Demon's Souls route which I have now rectified and hope to start shortly.
?
Instead of calling it Demon's Souls, they should have just named it You Died instead. That's the screen you spend the most time with.
I have heard the game is difficult and I reading up ahead of time to see if I can get a feel for some strategies and techniques.Is the game so difficult that you would not recommend it?

IvanKaramazov said:
NewlyRetired said:
?
Instead of calling it Demon's Souls, they should have just named it You Died instead. That's the screen you spend the most time with.
I have heard the game is difficult and I reading up ahead of time to see if I can get a feel for some strategies and techniques.Is the game so difficult that you would not recommend it?
Its an awesome game. It just doesn't play on baby difficulty like most games.

So, since Tuesday I've been playing Mafia 2. It's a good game with a great story. As I mentioned somewhere above to someone who called the game a sandbox game, it's not. It's linear in every sense of the term. There aren't any side missions. You do every job in order of the story. However, you CAN free roam in between doing jobs or before hitting up your next location. As long as you aren't timed, you can take as much time as you like. Rob the clothing store, hold up the gun store (watch out, he's packing, duh!), steal some cars and sell them to the guy at the dock, or the guy at the junk yard, or just get into random fights along the way.

Police aren't a big problem in the game. If you're playing straight through, there's only a few times they'll play a part and they aren't hard to shake down. But if you're wanted dead or alive, they know your face and plate, then you've got a run on your hands. It's nice from the norm, but you can die very easily.

For those not familiar with the Mafia games, or should I say the previous game, you have a speed limit that cops are strict about. They will ticket you for speeding. They will also fine you for hit and run (even if it's sometimes the other guy's fault). If you're being chased by the cops and you do get caught, you have an option to pay the fine/bribe them or resist arrest. Resisting will have them shooting at you, and like I said, it's easy to die. You can die in an accident, and get used to doing missions over because you're sure to die a lot in the firefights.

Like I said, it's a good game. The downside is that I finished the game last night at around 10 hours in. Sure, it would've taken a bit longer if I did more free roaming. Plus, there's still more to do. You can collect Playboy magazines and wanted posters all through the city, if you like collecting things. But I've never really been a big fan of putting in collection items to lengthen a game.

And that's the thing. I may play through the game again, but I'm not sure the game has much more replay value. It's got a great soundtrack, beautiful graphics and a wonderfully written story, but I've seen it now. It's don't expect it to be altered on my next play through, or at least it hasn't yet. And I'm being a lot more vigilante.

Bottom Line: Play it. But I suggest a rental or wait until it drops below $30.

NewlyRetired said:
IvanKaramazov said:
It's not as hard as what most reviews make it sounds like. After you've beaten a particular level, it's sometimes fun to go back and replay it and just see how it really isn't all that tough once you know what you're doing. For example, it took me a few hours to beat the first level after you reach the nexus my first time through. Now, even with a brand new character with ordinary stats and ordinary equipment, I can blow through it in 20 minutes easily. What makes the game hard is the following:1) There's a near-vertical learning curve at the beginning. Melee combat in this game is extremely satisfying, but it's also deep and there's a lot to pay attention to (enemy attack patters, when to block, when to strike, keeping an eye on your stamina bar, etc). Hand-to-hand combat is pretty hard at first until you get used to it, because the game really doesn't ease you into it at all. In most games, you would get a few easy levels at first with weaksauce enemies to teach you how the game works. Demon's Souls basically just throws you right into the thick of it after a bare-bones tutorial.

2) Every enemy you encounter is capable of killing you if you arent' careful. Even the pathetic little dredglings that you encounter going up the steps of Boletaria castle in 1-1. Most games will let you stumble through an encounter or two, but not this one.

3) You have to re-start the level every time you die. Everybody already knows about this facet of the game already, and it while it would be game-breaking in most other contexts, it works great here. It does increase the difficulty level though.

4) The game makes essentially no effort to tell you what various items do. You absolutely need to use a wiki to figure out what weapons are good and how to upgrade them. Here's a good one.

You're doing the right thing by reading up ahead of time. Your first time through, you'll probably want to start as a Royal, because you begin with a good ranged spell (so you don't have to rely on melee combat right away) and a ring that lets you regenerate mana over time, albeit very slowly. Once you beat the first level, you can level up your character however you want, but having that ranged spell from the get-go helps a lot.

Edit: Another piece of advice: Play in soul form. When you beat a boss and get your body back, just commit suicide by jumping off a high point in the nexus. Yes, your HP are reduced, but that's not as big a deal as it sounds like, and you're more stealthy. The really important reason to play in soul form instead of body form is because if you're in body form, other players can invade your game, and they will kill you easil unless you really know what you're doing.

For me personally, Demon's Souls is right up there with Killzone 2 and Motorstorm:PR as one of my favorite games of this generation. I've beaten it eight times with four different characters and I would guess I'll probably play it through once or twice more sometime. It's a really unique and well-designed experience, but its uniqueness means that it won't necessarily appeal to everybody. Usually I recommend giving it a rental first so you aren't out $60 -- or whatever this sells for now -- if you decide you hate it.

My update (not that it really matters)

Playing: Gears of War 2, Limbo (just purchased, not yet started)

Waiting excitedly for: FIFA 11

Backburner: Bioshock 2 (roughly 25% done)

Will probably buy at some point: WET (been saying this for like a year)

Probably done for good: Red Dead Redemption, NCAA Football 11

I'll sell NCAA Football 11 for the PS3 for relatively cheap if anyone's interested. Gently used, played maybe 10-15 games on it? Game froze occasionally, but I think that's a problem with my PS3 and not the game.

4) The game makes essentially no effort to tell you what various items do. You absolutely need to use a wiki to figure out what weapons are good and how to upgrade them. Here's a good one.

You're doing the right thing by reading up ahead of time. Your first time through, you'll probably want to start as a Royal, because you begin with a good ranged spell (so you don't have to rely on melee combat right away) and a ring that lets you regenerate mana over time, albeit very slowly. Once you beat the first level, you can level up your character however you want, but having that ranged spell from the get-go helps a lot.

Edit: Another piece of advice: Play in soul form. When you beat a boss and get your body back, just commit suicide by jumping off a high point in the nexus. Yes, your HP are reduced, but that's not as big a deal as it sounds like, and you're more stealthy. The really important reason to play in soul form instead of body form is because if you're in body form, other players can invade your game, and they will kill you easil unless you really know what you're doing.

For me personally, Demon's Souls is right up there with Killzone 2 and Motorstorm:PR as one of my favorite games of this generation. I've beaten it eight times with four different characters and I would guess I'll probably play it through once or twice more sometime. It's a really unique and well-designed experience, but its uniqueness means that it won't necessarily appeal to everybody. Usually I recommend giving it a rental first so you aren't out $60 -- or whatever this sells for now -- if you decide you hate it.
Thanks for the advice! Couple of comments/questions1) Thanks for the tip on being a royal. I was originally planning to be a knight since it looked the most balanced in the beginning but I can see the need for a ranged spell

2) Can I play in body form if I simply don't log into the PSN or does the game require that you are online at all times? I have not read up on online play at all. Can it be played in co op mode at all or is it all every man for himself?

3) The game is selling new now for $29. I picked it up used for $25 last week.

Thanks for the advice! Couple of comments/questions

1) Thanks for the tip on being a royal. I was originally planning to be a knight since it looked the most balanced in the beginning but I can see the need for a ranged spell

2) Can I play in body form if I simply don't log into the PSN or does the game require that you are online at all times? I have not read up on online play at all. Can it be played in co op mode at all or is it all every man for himself?

You can play offline by staying logged out of PSN. The game will ask you if you want to sign in, you can tell it no, and then you don't have to worry about invasions. But you also miss out on messages and bloodstains, which are kind of cool. I've played offline quit a bit, but all else equal I'd rather be online because I feel more "connected" with how the game is set up, but that's just me. There is an off-beat co-op mode. If you're in body form, you'll sometimes see blue markers on the ground in various spots. These are players who are waiting to be summoned to help you out. So if you're having trouble with a level, you can summon a blue phantom and the two of you can do the level cooperatively. What makes it unusual is that there's no voice chat whatsoever, which fits with the mood of the game but which makes true co-op kind of tough. Having a blue phantom in tow is nice if you happen to get invaded though, since at least it makes the fight 2 vs. 1. Also, anybody who you summon into your game will have beaten whatever level you're in already (that's a requirement for being summoned), so he'll know what he's doing.

I bought Shank. Pretty cool gory hack'n'slash side scroller.

Scot Pilgrim is a an updated version of River City Ransom. Pretty cool game. (didn;t buy it)

Also played some demo for something Storm 2. It was a really awesome fighting game using cel shaded graphics and feels like you're playing a anime cartoon. I don't think it is something I would buy, but I highly recommend playing ti. Really cool looking, especially the combos.

Thanks for the advice! Couple of comments/questions1) Thanks for the tip on being a royal. I was originally planning to be a knight since it looked the most balanced in the beginning but I can see the need for a ranged spell

There's a ring early on (like 1-1 or 1-2) that gives you 50% more HP in soul form. Consult a walkthrough on where it is - it's almost a must-have.

There's a ring early on (like 1-1 or 1-2) that gives you 50% more HP in soul form. Consult a walkthrough on where it is - it's almost a must-have.
I am hoping to play a level and then consult the walk through for that level to see what I missed (assuming I actually get through the level with out needing the walk through). If I see I missed something important in the level, can I go back and get it? (does the replay of levels stay the same or are things randomized?)

Microsoft to raise xbox live price.

Starting November 1st:

1M Gold: $9.99

3M Gold: $24.99

12M Gold: $59.99

Original Prices:

1M Gold: $7.99

3M Gold: $19.99

12M Gold: $49.99

Microsoft to raise xbox live price.Starting November 1st:1M Gold: $9.993M Gold: $24.9912M Gold: $59.99Original Prices:1M Gold: $7.993M Gold: $19.9912M Gold: $49.99
Yep. I hope MS has a good reason to justify this. I have enough trouble justifying the $50/month being a primary PC gamer, secondary console gamer. I usually find good deals one 12-month cards for renewal. Either I'll keep doing that, or I'll let it lapse next year. I just find it odd, considering Sony announced their subscription plus model, which gives paying members perks like free monthly games and such, yet their free service still allows for online play. So Microsoft hits back by hiking the price?Nevermind that many publishers are now putting one-time use codes for online play in their games and if you buy them second hand, you're required to pay extra for online on those also.

Any good Wii games come out recently or will be coming out that can be played on-line?

I really liked playing Mario Kart on-line and pwning noobs.

Microsoft to raise xbox live price.Starting November 1st:1M Gold: $9.993M Gold: $24.9912M Gold: $59.99Original Prices:1M Gold: $7.993M Gold: $19.9912M Gold: $49.99
:loco:
You can usually find a deal on them for around $30 and I don't expect that to change much, maybe a few bucks higher. Honestly, I don't mind paying around $.08 a day for a fantastic service that is convenient and easy to use.

Yep. I hope MS has a good reason to justify this. I have enough trouble justifying the $50/month being a primary PC gamer, secondary console gamer. I usually find good deals one 12-month cards for renewal. Either I'll keep doing that, or I'll let it lapse next year. I just find it odd, considering Sony announced their subscription plus model, which gives paying members perks like free monthly games and such, yet their free service still allows for online play. So Microsoft hits back by hiking the price?Nevermind that many publishers are now putting one-time use codes for online play in their games and if you buy them second hand, you're required to pay extra for online on those also.
If people have to worry about 5 bucks a month then they really shouldnt even be buying video games to begin with.

I am hoping to play a level and then consult the walk through for that level to see what I missed (assuming I actually get through the level with out needing the walk through). If I see I missed something important in the level, can I go back and get it?
Yes. In some cases, it's easier to just get through the level, and then go back later for the stuff you missed. The ring in question is called the Cling Ring, and it's hard to miss. You get it toward the end of the first level.

If people have to worry about 5 bucks a month then they really shouldnt even be buying video games to begin with.
Just curious, but did you know that half of the video game industry is talking about video games making a huge leap in terms of cost in the next year or two. In a year or two, the next Call of Duty may cost anywhere around $120-$150, not including DLC, because they feel that in terms of cost per minute of entertainment, it's still a cheap deal. Imagine how much things will change if the whole business model follows suit. Believe it or not, but the video game industry is actually in a downswing. A price hike like that could cause the next crash, similar to the one we saw in 1983.And no, if I compare PC gaming (which is $0 a month after internet fee), PSN gaming (which is $0 a month after internet fee), Wii gaming (which is $0 a month after internet fee) and XBox Live (which is $5 a month after internet fee), it does make a difference. These days, there is nothing separating XBox Live's service from PSN's service. PSN has done a major upgrade, while all this time the most we've seen XBox Live add is social networking features that nobody uses (Facebook, Twitter), Last.fm, Netflix and ESPN coming soon. All of those services only work with a paid XBox Live Gold account, while they are free on any other service. And you're really lost if you think $5 a month doesn't make a difference to gamers. I believe the last 3 pages of this thread has mostly been devoted to Goozex, which is a service where you can trade games rather than buy them for an extra few bucks. Nope. I don't think those $5 a month are a big deal. :blush:

$5 a month is no big deal, until you consider that Microsoft's primary competitor gives away this feature for free.
Yes and its an absolutely horrible experience compared to MS Gold . You get what you pay for.
How so? PSN doesn't have cross-game chat, but otherwise I've never been able to figure out exactly what's better about XBL.

$5 a month is no big deal, until you consider that Microsoft's primary competitor gives away this feature for free.
Yes and its an absolutely horrible experience compared to MS Gold . You get what you pay for.
How so? PSN doesn't have cross-game chat, but otherwise I've never been able to figure out exactly what's better about XBL.
Have you down loaded anything over PSN? A game demo on XBL takes about 5-10 mins and with the same connection my PSN takes about 2 hours.

Borrowed a copy of Bioshock 2 from a friend finally. That will hold me over until my pre-order of Halo: Reach arrives in a few weeks.

Starting November 1st:

Original Prices:

Yep. I hope MS has a good reason to justify this. I have enough trouble justifying the $50/month being a primary PC gamer, secondary console gamer. I usually find good deals one 12-month cards for renewal. Either I'll keep doing that, or I'll let it lapse next year. I just find it odd, considering Sony announced their subscription plus model, which gives paying members perks like free monthly games and such, yet their free service still allows for online play. So Microsoft hits back by hiking the price?

Nevermind that many publishers are now putting one-time use codes for online play in their games and if you buy them second hand, you're required to pay extra for online on those also.
Just curious, but did you know that half of the video game industry is talking about video games making a huge leap in terms of cost in the next year or two. In a year or two, the next Call of Duty may cost anywhere around $120-$150, not including DLC, because they feel that in terms of cost per minute of entertainment, it's still a cheap deal. Imagine how much things will change if the whole business model follows suit. Believe it or not, but the video game industry is actually in a downswing. A price hike like that could cause the next crash, similar to the one we saw in 1983.

And no, if I compare PC gaming (which is $0 a month after internet fee), PSN gaming (which is $0 a month after internet fee), Wii gaming (which is $0 a month after internet fee) and XBox Live (which is $5 a month after internet fee), it does make a difference. These days, there is nothing separating XBox Live's service from PSN's service. PSN has done a major upgrade, while all this time the most we've seen XBox Live add is social networking features that nobody uses (Facebook, Twitter), Last.fm, Netflix and ESPN coming soon. All of those services only work with a paid XBox Live Gold account, while they are free on any other service.

And you're really lost if you think $5 a month doesn't make a difference to gamers. I believe the last 3 pages of this thread has mostly been devoted to Goozex, which is a service where you can trade games rather than buy them for an extra few bucks. Nope. I don't think those $5 a month are a big deal. :hot:
I admit that I may be taking it too far suggesting that this could trigger the big hike that the industry is talking about. And as was stated before, I'm sure time cards will still be available for purchase for lower than MSRP. That's the route I take now, and have no problem continuing to do that in the future.As far as the part I underlined above, I was referring to an interview from someone at Activision (it may have been Kotick, I don't recall) who stated that they felt that anyone who played the game too long were cheating them out of money. They even went as far as to say that they thought that anyone who played multiplayer beyond the first prestige was robbing them. I'm trying to find a link to the interview. I'll post it if I can find it.

However, the rest of my point still stands. I just wanted to make it clear that I took it a step far to make my point. I sometimes do that when I'm talking about something I'm passionate about. I hope in between now and November, Microsoft will make an announcement to help justify the extra $10. I'd like to see them match PSN's free game downloads and hopefully some better deals of the week. Other than that, I do think that XBox Live's service is good. We'll see what happens.

Starting November 1st:

Original Prices:

Yep. I hope MS has a good reason to justify this. I have enough trouble justifying the $50/month being a primary PC gamer, secondary console gamer. I usually find good deals one 12-month cards for renewal. Either I'll keep doing that, or I'll let it lapse next year. I just find it odd, considering Sony announced their subscription plus model, which gives paying members perks like free monthly games and such, yet their free service still allows for online play. So Microsoft hits back by hiking the price?

Nevermind that many publishers are now putting one-time use codes for online play in their games and if you buy them second hand, you're required to pay extra for online on those also.
Just curious, but did you know that half of the video game industry is talking about video games making a huge leap in terms of cost in the next year or two. In a year or two, the next Call of Duty may cost anywhere around $120-$150, not including DLC, because they feel that in terms of cost per minute of entertainment, it's still a cheap deal. Imagine how much things will change if the whole business model follows suit. Believe it or not, but the video game industry is actually in a downswing. A price hike like that could cause the next crash, similar to the one we saw in 1983.

And no, if I compare PC gaming (which is $0 a month after internet fee), PSN gaming (which is $0 a month after internet fee), Wii gaming (which is $0 a month after internet fee) and XBox Live (which is $5 a month after internet fee), it does make a difference. These days, there is nothing separating XBox Live's service from PSN's service. PSN has done a major upgrade, while all this time the most we've seen XBox Live add is social networking features that nobody uses (Facebook, Twitter), Last.fm, Netflix and ESPN coming soon. All of those services only work with a paid XBox Live Gold account, while they are free on any other service.

And you're really lost if you think $5 a month doesn't make a difference to gamers. I believe the last 3 pages of this thread has mostly been devoted to Goozex, which is a service where you can trade games rather than buy them for an extra few bucks. Nope. I don't think those $5 a month are a big deal. :goodposting:
I admit that I may be taking it too far suggesting that this could trigger the big hike that the industry is talking about. And as was stated before, I'm sure time cards will still be available for purchase for lower than MSRP. That's the route I take now, and have no problem continuing to do that in the future.As far as the part I underlined above, I was referring to an interview from someone at Activision (it may have been Kotick, I don't recall) who stated that they felt that anyone who played the game too long were cheating them out of money. They even went as far as to say that they thought that anyone who played multiplayer beyond the first prestige was robbing them. I'm trying to find a link to the interview. I'll post it if I can find it.

However, the rest of my point still stands. I just wanted to make it clear that I took it a step far to make my point. I sometimes do that when I'm talking about something I'm passionate about. I hope in between now and November, Microsoft will make an announcement to help justify the extra $10. I'd like to see them match PSN's free game downloads and hopefully some better deals of the week. Other than that, I do think that XBox Live's service is good. We'll see what happens.
I own a ps3 and a 360 and there is no way you can compare the online service between the two. Down loading on the PSN is absolutely atrocious. The voice chat during games constantly drops out and the only good thing you can say about it is that its better than it was a couple of years ago. As for PSN being free, this is true. But do not forget that developers will have the option to charge players for playing their game on their on line servers. Hope you do not play too many different games online.

I own a ps3 and a 360 and there is no way you can compare the online service between the two. Down loading on the PSN is absolutely atrocious. The voice chat during games constantly drops out and the only good thing you can say about it is that its better than it was a couple of years ago.
I've never had voice chat drop out of any game I've played. This is probably something unique to whatever game you were playing, because I think on PSN it's up to each developer to maintain their own online service. I can see where that would be aggravating.

As far as the part I underlined above, I was referring to an interview from someone at Activision (it may have been Kotick, I don't recall) who stated that they felt that anyone who played the game too long were cheating them out of money. They even went as far as to say that they thought that anyone who played multiplayer beyond the first prestige was robbing them.
At the risk of making myself highly unpopular, they've got a semi-legitimate point. The amount of value you get for a good multiplayer game is insane compared to a SP-only game. I've always thought it was strange that I paid the same price for Bad Company 2 (or Killzone or Motorstorm) and Batman:AA (or Dead Space or Uncharted or whatever). If push came to shove, I would probably pay $100+ for Killzone 3 -- assuming others buy it too of course, which isn't a sure thing -- and it's a huge steal at $60. By way of contrast, $60 is at the very top end of what I would be willing to pay for any SP game.

As far as the part I underlined above, I was referring to an interview from someone at Activision (it may have been Kotick, I don't recall) who stated that they felt that anyone who played the game too long were cheating them out of money. They even went as far as to say that they thought that anyone who played multiplayer beyond the first prestige was robbing them.
At the risk of making myself highly unpopular, they've got a semi-legitimate point. The amount of value you get for a good multiplayer game is insane compared to a SP-only game. I've always thought it was strange that I paid the same price for Bad Company 2 (or Killzone or Motorstorm) and Batman:AA (or Dead Space or Uncharted or whatever). If push came to shove, I would probably pay $100+ for Killzone 3 -- assuming others buy it too of course, which isn't a sure thing -- and it's a huge steal at $60. By way of contrast, $60 is at the very top end of what I would be willing to pay for any SP game.
And I think thats why you will see a subscription price with the PS3 games much like you do on the PC with MMORPG games. People pay $15 bucks a month to play World of Warcraft for endless hours a day so I can see the console games following a cheaper but similar model.

Have you down loaded anything over PSN? A game demo on XBL takes about 5-10 mins and with the same connection my PSN takes about 2 hours.
:goodposting: No excellent posting.For the record, I own all 3 systems and enjoy all 3, but, XBL is LIGHT years ahead of PSN. It is silly to even compare, IMO.

I own a ps3 and a 360 and there is no way you can compare the online service between the two. Down loading on the PSN is absolutely atrocious. The voice chat during games constantly drops out and the only good thing you can say about it is that its better than it was a couple of years ago.
I've never had voice chat drop out of any game I've played. This is probably something unique to whatever game you were playing, because I think on PSN it's up to each developer to maintain their own online service. I can see where that would be aggravating.
Ditto. I've spent a lot of time online and the only time I remember voice chat dropping was during Resistance 1 back when it was released.

So basically, it comes down to $5 a month for faster downloads? Yeah, that seems worth it to me. :thumbup: I guess there's a sucker born every minute though...

Users who are viewing this thread