What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Video games...what ya playing? And what are you looking forward to? (10 Viewers)

Ok how old are you guys. Am I weird for being 37 and wanting to still game?
35. Not weird. Gaming is not just for nerds anymore. Video games bring in, and make, a whole lot more money than movies or music. Our generation was the first to grow up as gamers. It's a leisure activity like any other.

Metro:

- "UNBEARABLY BORING from its first moments, with an underwritten script, bland characters, and repetitive and overfamilar action."

- "Beneath the technical wonder this is just a dull, aimless Gears Of War clone where the attempts at storytelling are just as boring and lifeless as the action."

Kotaku:

- "Do you like movies? Do you like video games? If you answered "yes" to either of those questions, you should probably skip The Order: 1886."

- "The Order is a third-person shooter somewhat like Gears of War, if Gears of War had been a bad game instead of a good one."

- "The Order: 1886 doesn't feel like the product of someone's grand vision; it feels like the tatters of that vision have been gathered, taped together, and presented as complete. The best I can say of it is that its premise is just novel enough to feel wasted. As I played, I kept wishing for some hint of inspiration, a dash of spirit to warm me against the chilly downpour of mediocrity. I found none."

- "A dreary, joyless lump of a game... The story is a mess, combat is bland and repetitive, the cinematic effects are a distraction, and the whole thing is hopelessly infused with QTEs."

Giant Bomb:

- "There's a word for games like The Order: 1886. RENTAL."

IGN:

- "...the shallow, slow, and generic quick-time event-riddled gameplay make it feel like an experience that would've been better served by a non-interactive movie than a game."

GamesRadar:

- "The Orders archaic, player-detached approaches to interaction and narrative nonetheless make it a dated and instantly forgettable experience."

GameSpot:

- "It is, at best, perfectly playable, and lovely to look at and listen to. But it is also the face of mediocrity and missed opportunities. A bad game can make a case for itself. A boring one is harder to forgive."

EGM:

- "The Order: 1886 is a paper-thin PS4 launch title delivered 15 months behind schedule. Its nowhere near as profound or innovative as it thinks it isthe epitome of ALL STYLE AND NO SUBSTANCE."

- "The issues, large and small, just pile up, and The Order ends up feeling like a game where plenty of manpower went into making sure it looked goodbut no one bothered to check if it might actually be any fun. Outside of its admittedly superlative visuals, The Order doesnt do a single thing well. Not one gameplay element stands out as superbmerely mediocre or substandard."

- "Merely competent, mediocre, or OUTRIGHT BAD in everything else it does."

Digital Trends:

- "More like 'The Bored-er': We literally dozed off playing The Order: 1886"

- "The word play applies very loosely in the case of The Order, bloated as it is with excruciatingly dull cutscenes and mindless push-the-button-to-make-some-cool-thing-happen moments."

- "This game might have slipped by with middling reception as a PlayStation 4 launch title, but coming now, in the midst of giants like Shadow of Mordor and Destiny, it feels desperately out of place."

- "The Order: 1886 is a terrible game. Not because its broken or made without skill. Certainly not because its an average-length, story-driven shooter with minimal replay value. Its just a bad game, forgettable in every conceivable way and safely ignored by all but the most ardent Trophy hunters."
That's very disappointing. Looked neat from the commercial I saw for it. Of course it looked like it was PS4 only, which would be a problem for me anyway,,

42. I'm old enough that I don't bring up gaming in my office, but I don't really care if people think it's weird either.
Same. I don't mention it at work at all, though I know several game (though I think all are a bit younger than I).

Out generations grew up with video games, so I think it's only natural that we would still want to play them. I hope to play them until I go POOF!

Um 43. One year for Christmas my parents got me a racing wheel :bag: I was in my 30s. My kids game. I've been playing since freaking pong. I'm not all in like before but it's more normal than fantasy football imo

Ok I feel all warm and fuzzy now. Thanks guys :ehug:

My wife was addicted to Zelda growing up. I bought her a Wii U last year and she made me take it back because she didn't want to go back down the rabbit hole, lol.

Not at all. I'm 48 and very into gaming. Have a 360, XB1, and PS4. And have gotten back into PC gaming too. You could say it's a hobby.

My wife is 52, and she loves her Nintendo DS and PS Vita. You're never too old. Just really happy I found a girl who's into it. Instead of rolling her eyes at me, she fires up her own game.

So I got shadows of mordor based on the fighting and movement mechanics, but I am just getting housed out there. Getting killed way more than I take out. The swarming orcs get to be too much. Any tips? Didn't see a way to adjust difficulty.

So I got shadows of mordor based on the fighting and movement mechanics, but I am just getting housed out there. Getting killed way more than I take out. The swarming orcs get to be too much. Any tips? Didn't see a way to adjust difficulty.
stealth kills. Once you unlock I forget the name a stealth kill will scare others awayuse arrows

get used to the block button

don't be afraid to runaway and regroup

look for explosive settings with arrows

Last edited by a moderator:
belljr said:
How do you send gifts? I just started my barbarian
When you get the gift just select it in your pack (it is stored in the bag icon) and then press X and it will send it to the person it is intended for.

Double post. Yeah, I learned that the hard way last night. Really fun game though.

I just killed Malthael in Hardcore mode. I'm only playing normal difficulty, but he gave me a bit of a scare at one point. Seems like the last hurdle towards getting a platinum as I rarely see my health dip fighting normal mobs. The rest is now just grinding it out.

I just killed Malthael in Hardcore mode. I'm only playing normal difficulty, but he gave me a bit of a scare at one point. Seems like the last hurdle towards getting a platinum as I rarely see my health dip fighting normal mobs. The rest is now just grinding it out.
Depending on what class you are playing, there are some passive skills you can use in hardcore to protect against a mistake death. I used the Crusader class when playing in hardcore mode and used the passive Indestructable.

I also did my hardcore run on normal, which obviously made things easier. I have watched guys doing harcore in the upper torment levels which is pretty sick. I have a very strong character which I run at Torment 5 but if I blink at the wrong time, I can die in an instant.

I still don't understand the point of diablo 3? You get really good gear and just kill the same stuff over and over again. Sounds boring. At least in diablo 2 after you gear you can do some pvp and collect ears.

I still don't understand the point of diablo 3? You get really good gear and just kill the same stuff over and over again. Sounds boring. At least in diablo 2 after you gear you can do some pvp and collect ears.
What you say is true about the general nature of the game but obviously to each his own.

In all my years of playing video games, imo, Diablo 3 (Reaper of Souls) has arguably the best end game material of any game I have played, and they are still adding to it.

What you say is true about the general nature of the game but obviously to each his own. In all my years of playing video games, imo, Diablo 3 (Reaper of Souls) has arguably the best end game material of any game I have played, and they are still adding to it.
Yah I just hate they took PvP out of the game :(

What is hardcore compared to not?
When you start a new character you can choose hardcore mode. Hardcore simply means when you die, the character is done and you have to start over again with new character.

In regular mode, when you die, you simply resurrect and continue playing.

So if you die you start at level zero again?
In hardcore mode, the character is gone entirely. You have to start from the create character screen. The hardcore mode is meant for much more careful and strategic play. Charging into a room like you would in softcore mode is a bit of a no no.

Also note that your stash for hardcore and softcore modes are separate so you can't collect a bunch of goodies in softcore and then pass to a hardcore character via the stash.

Hardcore is a ton of fun since at any second it could all be over but I would recommend playing a lot of softcore mode first before trying hardcore.

What do yall use the stash for? I'm got a few random items in there across a few levels for when I start a new character, but not sure that is best. Perhaps saving some legendaries is a better idea?

What do yall use the stash for? I'm got a few random items in there across a few levels for when I start a new character, but not sure that is best. Perhaps saving some legendaries is a better idea?
Outside of gems and crafting materials, I only save level 70 legendaries and sets (greens). And most legendaries I recycle now as I have run out of room.

Don't worry about saving gear for a new character. When you start a new character, just find the first crap weapon you can that has a socket in it and then use your best damage gem in it. That alone will carry you for a ton of levels.

In hardcore mode, the character is gone entirely. You have to start from the create character screen.The hardcore mode is meant for much more careful and strategic play. Charging into a room like you would in softcore mode is a bit of a no no.

Also note that your stash for hardcore and softcore modes are separate so you can't collect a bunch of goodies in softcore and then pass to a hardcore character via the stash.

Hardcore is a ton of fun since at any second it could all be over but I would recommend playing a lot of softcore mode first before trying hardcore.
Worth noting that after I killed Malthael last night in hardcore mode, I started some adventure bounties. I passed out drunk, controller in hand and headset on while on a map. Luckily no enemies were in the area or my minions took care of them. Lesson learned is not to play in hardcore after a night of drinking.

In hardcore mode, the character is gone entirely. You have to start from the create character screen.The hardcore mode is meant for much more careful and strategic play. Charging into a room like you would in softcore mode is a bit of a no no.

Worth noting that after I killed Malthael last night in hardcore mode, I started some adventure bounties. I passed out drunk, controller in hand and headset on while on a map. Luckily no enemies were in the area or my minions took care of them. Lesson learned is not to play in hardcore after a night of drinking.
What do you have left to get platinum? The two that took the longest for me were the 100 treasure goblins and the 500 bounties.

My son got a gift to send me a legendary helm. Very nice. One of the attributes is that whatever gem is socketed is the type of gem that will fall. I threw in a marquise gem I had. My question would be does that mean they will be marquise of that type, say diamond, or just diamond? Anyone know? If that same tier, then holy crap, I'll be making it rain over and over again in all the best types.

My son got a gift to send me a legendary helm. Very nice. One of the attributes is that whatever gem is socketed is the type of gem that will fall. I threw in a marquise gem I had. My question would be does that mean they will be marquise of that type, say diamond, or just diamond? Anyone know? If that same tier, then holy crap, I'll be making it rain over and over again in all the best types.
It just drops the type (ruby, emerald, diamond etc).

It would be almost game breaking if it dropped the flawless royal level gems.

It just drops the type (ruby, emerald, diamond etc). It would be almost game breaking if it dropped the flawless royal level gems.
Reading about it, it appears users report that it causes an additional gem to drop of type and quality, but matching the original. So if I had a socketed marquis emerald and a marquis ruby drops an additional marquis emerald drops. The tier is based on the lower level of the drop, not socketed. Still a valuable tool for getting gems while leveling.

Users who are viewing this thread