What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Video games...what ya playing? And what are you looking forward to? (5 Viewers)

My son got a gift to send me a legendary helm. Very nice. One of the attributes is that whatever gem is socketed is the type of gem that will fall. I threw in a marquise gem I had. My question would be does that mean they will be marquise of that type, say diamond, or just diamond? Anyone know? If that same tier, then holy crap, I'll be making it rain over and over again in all the best types.
It just drops the type (ruby, emerald, diamond etc).It would be almost game breaking if it dropped the flawless royal level gems.
Reading about it, it appears users report that it causes an additional gem to drop of type and quality, but matching the original. So if I had a socketed marquis emerald and a marquis ruby drops an additional marquis emerald drops. The tier is based on the lower level of the drop, not socketed. Still a valuable tool for getting gems while leveling.
I've had that helm for a little while now and I've been spitting out marquise rubies left and right. Which is what I have socketed into it. I just realized from this post that I need to really take advantage of that and combine a few marquise a swap the new level gem into my helm so I can start getting more of the next level, and so and so forth....

My son got a gift to send me a legendary helm. Very nice. One of the attributes is that whatever gem is socketed is the type of gem that will fall. I threw in a marquise gem I had. My question would be does that mean they will be marquise of that type, say diamond, or just diamond? Anyone know? If that same tier, then holy crap, I'll be making it rain over and over again in all the best types.
It just drops the type (ruby, emerald, diamond etc).It would be almost game breaking if it dropped the flawless royal level gems.
Reading about it, it appears users report that it causes an additional gem to drop of type and quality, but matching the original. So if I had a socketed marquis emerald and a marquis ruby drops an additional marquis emerald drops. The tier is based on the lower level of the drop, not socketed. Still a valuable tool for getting gems while leveling.
I've had that helm for a little while now and I've been spitting out marquise rubies left and right. Which is what I have socketed into it. I just realized from this post that I need to really take advantage of that and combine a few marquise a swap the new level gem into my helm so I can start getting more of the next level, and so and so forth....
The gems are arguably the most powerful tool in the game. Do everything you can to combine them and improve their affects.

Note that the top tier Flawless Royal (which you want every where) will cost 51 Marquise gems.

And save up your gold. Combining gems is very expensive. If you get the legenday gem call Boon of the Hoarder, you can get a ton of gold using it when farming.

So if you die you start at level zero again?
In hardcore mode, the character is gone entirely. You have to start from the create character screen.The hardcore mode is meant for much more careful and strategic play. Charging into a room like you would in softcore mode is a bit of a no no.

Also note that your stash for hardcore and softcore modes are separate so you can't collect a bunch of goodies in softcore and then pass to a hardcore character via the stash.

Hardcore is a ton of fun since at any second it could all be over but I would recommend playing a lot of softcore mode first before trying hardcore.
Worth noting that after I killed Malthael last night in hardcore mode, I started some adventure bounties. I passed out drunk, controller in hand and headset on while on a map. Luckily no enemies were in the area or my minions took care of them. Lesson learned is not to play in hardcore after a night of drinking.
What do you have left to get platinum? The two that took the longest for me were the 100 treasure goblins and the 500 bounties.
All I have left are 500 bounties (currently at 320), lvl 70 in hardcore and lvling all classes to 70. I only have 2 classes to 70 and 2 others up to about 45. The non-hardcore goes pretty fast since I have a Cains set and 70 paragon levels

So if you die you start at level zero again?
In hardcore mode, the character is gone entirely. You have to start from the create character screen.The hardcore mode is meant for much more careful and strategic play. Charging into a room like you would in softcore mode is a bit of a no no.

Also note that your stash for hardcore and softcore modes are separate so you can't collect a bunch of goodies in softcore and then pass to a hardcore character via the stash.

Hardcore is a ton of fun since at any second it could all be over but I would recommend playing a lot of softcore mode first before trying hardcore.
Worth noting that after I killed Malthael last night in hardcore mode, I started some adventure bounties. I passed out drunk, controller in hand and headset on while on a map. Luckily no enemies were in the area or my minions took care of them. Lesson learned is not to play in hardcore after a night of drinking.
What do you have left to get platinum? The two that took the longest for me were the 100 treasure goblins and the 500 bounties.
All I have left are 500 bounties (currently at 320), lvl 70 in hardcore and lvling all classes to 70. I only have 2 classes to 70 and 2 others up to about 45. The non-hardcore goes pretty fast since I have a Cains set and 70 paragon levels
Levelling the classes is pretty fast. Just use adventure mode and your highest level damage gem and you will fly. You can tackle the bounties at the same time.

The gems are arguably the most powerful tool in the game. Do everything you can to combine them and improve their affects.

Note that the top tier Flawless Royal (which you want every where) will cost 51 Marquise gems.

And save up your gold. Combining gems is very expensive. If you get the legenday gem call Boon of the Hoarder, you can get a ton of gold using it when farming.
I'd only need that many marquise if I leave the marquise in the helm. If I craft an imperial then socket it in the helm then I'll start get double drops of the imperial level. Rinse and repeat until I'm double dropping Flawless Royals in theory.

I don't think it affects the gem level. I think it just adds an extra gem of, say, emerald to whenever you get any gem drop. At the same level of the drop.

I don't think it affects the gem level. I think it just adds an extra gem of, say, emerald to whenever you get any gem drop. At the same level of the drop.
All I know is that I had a marquise ruby in my helm and after about 6-7 hours of gameplay with it I had like 15 marquise rubies and only maybe 1 or 2 of every other kind marquise.

I'd only need that many marquise if I leave the marquise in the helm. If I craft an imperial then socket it in the helm then I'll start get double drops of the imperial level. Rinse and repeat until I'm double dropping Flawless Royals in theory.
It does not work that way. It is not related to the quality of the gem in your helm. If it worked that way it would break the game.

http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Broken_Crown

"The additional bonus gem will be of the same quality level as the original gem that drops (not the one that is socketed)."

All I know is that I had a marquise ruby in my helm and after about 6-7 hours of gameplay with it I had like 15 marquise rubies and only maybe 1 or 2 of every other kind marquise.
Marquese gems drop from any level 61+ bad guy.

The only other late game level gem that drops is an imperial gem in torrent difficulty.

But if you need to test it, to prove to yourself, it is easy enough. You probably have more than enough to craft an imperial or better gem now. Craft one and see if they drop like candy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I went and read a bit about and yeah it does seem to be limited as you described. However that still makes it a very valuable legendary that everyone would want to have. if you are trying to improve your gems this does cut the time in half for building those big ones.

I went and read a bit about and yeah it does seem to be limited as you described. However that still makes it a very valuable legendary that everyone would want to have. if you are trying to improve your gems this does cut the time in half for building those big ones.
It certainly does. If you are farming for gems it is very useful. But there is a tradeoff. The stats on the Broken Crown suck compared to other helms and as such it lowers the difficulty level at which you can play at which also lowers the drop rate of gems and other goodies.

WHERE DID THIS THREAD GO!?!one!1!!

Hi y'all -- sorry for the trouble.

I've been researching how to make our forums faster and more responsive over the last month. The performance of our forums, though never particularly speedy, had become uniformly slow with occasional unpredictable and excruciating delays. So I asked the folks at Invision Power, the forum software's authors, to dig in and make some recommendations on how we can speed the site up.

They recommended a number of infrastructure and settings changes which we've implemented in this upgrade. More performance upgrades will be coming when Invision releases their 4.0 version later this year. But their most significant recommendation -- more important than all the others combined -- was that we needed to archive and reopen the board's largest, most trafficked, and most loved threads.

There are fifteen threads that account for over 845,000 of the board's 13,000,000 posts and they've been viewed nearly 13,000,000 times. These threads have grown so large and they are loaded so often that their performance impact on the board can't be properly normalized. This is one of those fifteen threads.

For now, we've moved these threads to a new forum called Archived Topics to isolate them from the most heavily-trafficked forums -- the FFA and Shark Pool -- and preserved them so that they cannot be replied to, edited, or deleted. The original threads remain searchable, and I've added a link below to the original version of this topic. Over the next couple of weeks, these threads will be converted into archived threads by the Invision Board aoftware and moved back to their original forum. After archiving, they will remain searchable and browsable.

If you are the Original Poster of one of these threads, I encourage you to start a new topic to be version 2.0 of your thread and PM me with the link. I will merge this post into your new topic and leave it pinned for a few weeks.

Peace.
Video games...what ya playing? And what are you looking forward to?:

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?/topic/496856-video-gameswhat-ya-playing-and-what-are-you-looking-forward-to/

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I had a good 200-300 post lead on the original thread. I'll see if I can keep it close this time.

Been playing this season of Diablo 3 (pc), meh - this is what the game should have been on release, its got some ways to go - likely doomed to never get there.

I just wanna say how proud I am of all the FBG gamers to lead this thread into the top 15! You make me proud!

So, MF. Can I call you MF? Anyway, does this mean that we can get our own video game subforum now? Thought I'd ask.

Been playing H1Z1 early access alpha. The sandbox servers are pretty cool, but the Battle Royale servers are fantastic.

Hey Newly Retired, had a Nemesis pop up last night while I was playing in a PUG and it dropped something that I hope is very nice that I sent your way. He dropped a meh legendary ring for me.

Finally finished Far Cry 3. Fantastic FPS. Best I have ever played along with Borderlands.

Fired up Far Cry 4 last night. It rocks. Have that going along with Alien Isolation (on mission 10/16).

So after playing for just a little, I can say that the helm does spawn an additional drop every time a gem drops. Getting double gems is not a liability in any way. I figure once I get enough to construct a few top tier gems of the first type, I will move on the the 2nd, etc.

BTW - I assume that the tiers of gems above marquise open up in rifts like the enchanter? It shows marquise as my top tier now. I am level 64 and have not finished Act 5 yet.

Users who are viewing this thread