What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Video games...what ya playing? And what are you looking forward to? (3 Viewers)

I picked up Dying Light and played 4.5 hours straight last night with my Brother-inlaw in Co-Op.

THIS GAME ROCKS!!!!!!!!

Resources, scavenging and exploring.....that is the key early. Also you get 2X's XP at night...but night time is craziness.

I absolutely love the vibe, music and ambience of this title. Very retro, 1980's vibe going on. Think Escape From New York meets Day Of The Dead (the vastly underrated and best flick in the Dead series IMO).

This game begs to be played online with friends. Up to 4 can play at a time in the campaign.
intrigued
The developers of this game put a lot of love and soul into this one. It really is a fun game.

Highly recommended.

Ok, I'm a little behind on my games and just started Mordor. Just one question...should I be spending the majority of my time in the early going running for my life? Because it seems like if I dont, I get absolutely overwhelmed by Uruks on every fight where a captain is involved.

Ok, I'm a little behind on my games and just started Mordor. Just one question...should I be spending the majority of my time in the early going running for my life? Because it seems like if I dont, I get absolutely overwhelmed by Uruks on every fight where a captain is involved.
Yes regroup.

Keep playing...soon you will be-heading Uruks in glorious fashion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stealth is your friend early on. I ran all the time when I came across a captain I couldn't beat and if I did take one on and started to die I bailed. If he kills you then he levels up, not a good scenario.

Just grabbed Wolfenstein New Order. Got through the first mission which was a trainer more than anything.

Not that impressed so far.

Tomb Raider is doing the #### in Uncharted I hated. Just forcing your character through scenes they have no business living through with very little control on your part. That and dodging sequences. Lara should be a blood stain on many an object by now.

Tomb Raider is doing the #### in Uncharted I hated. Just forcing your character through scenes they have no business living through with very little control on your part. That and dodging sequences. Lara should be a blood stain on many an object by now.
There are some awesome death sequences for her. The one in the river is epic.

The game is exactly like Uncharted except for the humor, light heartedness, and good writing.

The game is exactly like Uncharted except for the humor, light heartedness, and good writing.
Yea. Honestly, I know its petty but if she wasn't so hot, I'd probably stop playing by now. The story is awful and she's like a whiny Rambo despite this being one of her first expeditions.

Wow I thought Tomb Raider was the best game Ive played in years
Im not saying its a bad game. Just the story is stupid and the reasons for this 100lb girl to be mowing down guys with machine guns and hatchets is a bit far fetched. And it does seem a tad on the gruesome side. At least with uncharted I had Drakes sarcasm and the beautiful scenery to distract me from killing hundreds upon hundreds of random guys.

thecatch said:
Insein said:
Link

Insein said:
thecatch said:
Insein said:
Yea. Honestly, I know its petty but if she wasn't so hot, I'd probably stop playing by now. The story is awful and she's like a whiny Rambo despite this being one of her first expeditions.
That's kind of the idea. Did you think Croft started out confident and unflappable?

Spec Ops: The Line

Weak story and the game goes...Gun battle...30 seconds of cutscenes to move the plot along...gun battle...cutscene...gun battle...

But the environment is really cool and overall a pretty fun game. And the aiming mechanics are really good. And the game gets progressively harder as you go.

Chaka said:
Insein said:
The one where she impales her skull on the sharpest log ever?

Chaka said:
Insein said:
The one where she impales her skull on the sharpest log ever?
Pretty sure it was a piece of metal debris but, yes.

Getting crushed by the rock in the early going was also pretty wild.

I think it might have been my favorite game from 2013.

Insein said:
thecatch said:
Insein said:
That's kind of the idea. Did you think Croft started out confident and unflappable?
Her whininess is juxtaposed by her choking a dude out with her bow. They don't really fit together.

Don't get me wrong. I'm playing and having fun. Mostly with the hidden tombs and searching for treasure. The fighting is solid gameplay wise but seems so out of place. The story is just awful.

Insein said:
thecatch said:
Insein said:
I didn't mind that, the story just wasn't compelling generally and they never made you give a crap about any of the characters you were supposed to feel a connection to.

Insein said:
thecatch said:
Insein said:
Her whininess is juxtaposed by her choking a dude out with her bow. They don't really fit together.
Of course it does. Choking a dude out with a bow for the first time in your life doesn't automatically make you a hard mother ######, in fact I imagine after doing that for the first time it can be an overwhelmingly emotional experience. That whole flight-or-flight response is probably the most powerful thing a human can experience.

Mind you I am not calling anything about the game realistic, then again since when do we play games for their sense of realism?

Then there was the helicopter part mid way through where she's suddenly like "I need to get first aid." Now you need first aid? You started the game having a piece of rebar puncture you abdomen and didn't do anything to fix that but falling down a cliff side and now you need first aid?! And then she did t even get it. She just lights an arrow and goes all Rambo. Actually a lot of Rambo references in this game.

Then there was the helicopter part mid way through where she's suddenly like "I need to get first aid." Now you need first aid? You started the game having a piece of rebar puncture you abdomen and didn't do anything to fix that but falling down a cliff side and now you need first aid?! And then she did t even get it. She just lights an arrow and goes all Rambo. Actually a lot of Rambo references in this game.
its a video game dude. Not an oscar nominated film

Of course it does. The idea is that there is this warrior hidden under her initial softness that only a crucible of survival could bring out.

It's a hero's journey that's been told a million times.

Weak story and the game goes...Gun battle...30 seconds of cutscenes to move the plot along...gun battle...cutscene...gun battle...

But the environment is really cool and overall a pretty fun game. And the aiming mechanics are really good. And the game gets progressively harder as you go.
Spec Ops is what Uncharted would be if you removed all the cutscenes, puzzles, and platforming. And if you took the hardest couple of segments from the Uncharted series and incorporated 8-10 encounters like that into your game.

I find these to be odd complaints. It has very solid game play (I like the QTEs particularly), good boss fights and is visually interesting. Story is passable too, nothing groundbreaking but good enough. Not sure what more people want.

Highly recommend.

Todem said:
Frank Drebin said:
Yes regroup.Keep playing...soon you will be-heading Uruks in glorious fashion.
Hawks64 said:
Frank Drebin said:
Stealth is your friend early on. I ran all the time when I came across a captain I couldn't beat and if I did take one on and started to die I bailed. If he kills you then he levels up, not a good scenario.
Thanks guys. I was getting a bit discouraged that I was suddenly the worst video game player in the world. I'll carry on.

I find these to be odd complaints. It has very solid game play (I like the QTEs particularly), good boss fights and is visually interesting. Story is passable too, nothing groundbreaking but good enough. Not sure what more people want.Highly recommend.
Its more nitpicking I guess. Yea its a video game but it feels like its forcing itself to be gritty for gritty's sake. And the QTEs annoy me. I had to watch Lara go from almost raped to getting choked to death 3 times before it registered that I hit triangle at just the right moment.

Todem said:
Frank Drebin said:
Hawks64 said:
Frank Drebin said:
Thanks guys. I was getting a bit discouraged that I was suddenly the worst video game player in the world. I'll carry on.
You're going to feel like that much more of a badass when you're taking down captains like it's no big deal.

Insein said:
thecatch said:
Insein said:
sorry, this doesnt sound like nitpicking

Todem said:
Frank Drebin said:
Hawks64 said:
Frank Drebin said:
You're going to feel like that much more of a badass when you're taking down captains like it's no big deal.
yeah the guy gets too powerful when you get one power in particular

Insein said:
thecatch said:
Insein said:
sorry, this doesnt sound like nitpicking
It got better. Early on was pretty aimless.

Yankee23Fan said:
Just grabbed Wolfenstein New Order. Got through the first mission which was a trainer more than anything.

Not that impressed so far.
I really enjoyed it, really picks up. Supposed to be a prequel out late this year early next year?

No idea about another one. Not as much a gamer as everyone here.

I just saved the nurse in the hospital and met up with her grandparents. The hospital action was solid.

Weak story? It won Best Story of the year the year it released.

I find these to be odd complaints. It has very solid game play (I like the QTEs particularly), good boss fights and is visually interesting. Story is passable too, nothing groundbreaking but good enough. Not sure what more people want.Highly recommend.
Its more nitpicking I guess. Yea its a video game but it feels like its forcing itself to be gritty for gritty's sake. And the QTEs annoy me. I had to watch Lara go from almost raped to getting choked to death 3 times before it registered that I hit triangle at just the right moment.
That's actually what I liked about the QTEs, they hit you quick and they transition almost seamlessly (most games with QTEs have some kind of trigger animation that you can spot (like the Arkham Origins fight vs. Deathstroke). I think it was an example of great programming.

That's actually what I liked about the QTEs, they hit you quick and they transition almost seamlessly (most games with QTEs have some kind of trigger animation that you can spot (like the Arkham Origins fight vs. Deathstroke). I think it was an example of great programming.
I highly disagree when I'm replaying scenes 4 and 5 times just to hit a button at the exact right moment.

I highly disagree when I'm replaying scenes 4 and 5 times just to hit a button at the exact right moment.
4-5 times? Sounds more like operator error to me. :P

4-5 times? Sounds more like operator error to me. :P
No lie dude. First time, OK I missed that triangle. Second time, I swear I hit it but OK. Third time, wtf I definitely hit it. 4th time, now its too early? WTF! 5th finally!

All right, maybe "weak" isn't the right word. It is simply "Apocalypse Now: Dubai" but it's the presentation of the story that kind of bothers me. It seems like important parts of the dialog are delivered mid-battle and are hard to hear. It's like watching a Guy Ritchie movie - I have to turn the subtitles on so I can understand what's being said even though it's all in English.

It would be helpful to slow down a bit and more clearly identify who is 33rd and who is CIA (and which CIA guy you're dealing with at the time). Names get lost in all the mayhem that is going on in the game.

All right, maybe "weak" isn't the right word. It is simply "Apocalypse Now: Dubai" but it's the presentation of the story that kind of bothers me. It seems like important parts of the dialog are delivered mid-battle and are hard to hear. It's like watching a Guy Ritchie movie - I have to turn the subtitles on so I can understand what's being said even though it's all in English.

It would be helpful to slow down a bit and more clearly identify who is 33rd and who is CIA (and which CIA guy you're dealing with at the time). Names get lost in all the mayhem that is going on in the game.
Interesting you say that because this is a tag line that I most commonly see associated with this game.

Spec Ops: The Line is a provocative, cinematic third-person military shooter that challenges players’ own morality by putting them in the middle of unspeakable depravity where brutal life-or-death choices take them on a journey into the heart of darkness.
I wonder if the Apocalypse Now thing is intentional.

I wonder if the Apocalypse Now thing is intentional.
I'm certain it is. They substitute desert for jungle. The "good guy" is forced into making increasingly "bad guy" decisions. They have a radio man as lackey instead of a photojournalist. And the bad guy is even a Colonel K (Kurtz/Konrad).

Just finished. In general I don't like these types of games. But this wasn't bad. Decent story and the puzzles weren't ridiculous. Kind of short compared to what I usually play. I'll be getting back to Dragon Age Origins now.

Just finished. In general I don't like these types of games. But this wasn't bad. Decent story and the puzzles weren't ridiculous. Kind of short compared to what I usually play. I'll be getting back to Dragon Age Origins now.
Still playing. I got sidetracked looking for loot.

How much further after grim throws himself and that random henchmen off the scaffolding in shantytown I'd there?

How much further after grim throws himself and that random henchmen off the scaffolding in shantytown I'd there?

A little over half way done I think.

A little over half way done I think.

Well once I learned to stop worrying and start loving the bomb so to speak, I'm enjoying the ridiculous crazy action.

I'm with Slax in that I basically liked the story in Spec Ops. When somebody mentions "ludonarrative dissonance" in a game review I usually want to smack them, but this game did a really good job of picking up this idea and running with it. I particularly liked the little touches, like how the loading screens progressively got more cynical and bitter as you progressed through the game. Overall, it was a nice counterpoint to the standard story you get in every other shooter.

Users who are viewing this thread