Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
fasteddie_21

Video games...what ya playing? And what are you looking forward to?

6 hours ago, Ash said:

Playing Hearts of Stone, strategemizing about how to beat the big toad.  Done a couple of the side quests too.  It's been good to get back into it.

Oh you ain't seen nothing yet

19 minutes ago, STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:

Has anyone played the Hearts of Iron series or any other WW2 strategy game you would recommend?

looks like a cool game. also looks pretty complex.

I have always loved Company of Heroes. The multiplayer is just so much fun. But its RTS...

58 minutes ago, STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:

Has anyone played the Hearts of Iron series or any other WW2 strategy game you would recommend?

As I understand it HoI is for truly hard core strategy gamers.

1 hour ago, STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:

Absolutely LOVED Hearts of Iron 1 and 2. 3 was terribly unwieldy and complicated even for someone like me who spent a lot of time in the previous games- I gave up on it. I am very interested to see what they did with 4 but I am gun shy on buying it and wanting to hear feedback from others.

I would recommend HoI 1 and 2 as an involved game that takes Axis and Allies to a more involved level. If you want strategy game and want WWII- go get HoI 2 and you will enjoy yourself.

On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 7:52 PM, PlasmaDogPlasma said:

Downloading HoI IV now

So? How is it?

47 minutes ago, Chadstroma said:

Absolutely LOVED Hearts of Iron 1 and 2. 3 was terribly unwieldy and complicated even for someone like me who spent a lot of time in the previous games- I gave up on it. I am very interested to see what they did with 4 but I am gun shy on buying it and wanting to hear feedback from others.

I would recommend HoI 1 and 2 as an involved game that takes Axis and Allies to a more involved level. If you want strategy game and want WWII- go get HoI 2 and you will enjoy yourself.

How do these compare to rts like starcraft?

7 minutes ago, need2know said:

How do these compare to rts like starcraft?

Not at all really.

There is no active real time management of units like StarCraft. It is much more about strategic planning and outlining offensive/defensive tactics. Think a higher level of Risk or Axis and Allies board games.

1 hour ago, Chadstroma said:

So? How is it?

I like it, but like a lot of PC games these days it seems like it was rushed to the market. Along with some other bugs and nuisances, the AI is pretty bad.

So I would say that I think it is going to be great after patches/DLC/mods. I have put a decent number of hours into it, but am probably going to set it aside until at least the first major patch.

The wife was looking for a good couch coop game last night.  Ended up with Divinity: Original Sin and the addons for it.  Played for a couple hours.  Lots of fun so far!

3 hours ago, JerseyToughGuys said:

looks like a cool game. also looks pretty complex.

I have always loved Company of Heroes. The multiplayer is just so much fun. But its RTS...

Did you play CoH2?

I finally have taken the plunge with GTA V on the PS4. 

Game arrives tomorrow. I loved Vice City (my all time fav to this point) but the online component of this is why I am doing it. I have a bunch of PSN friends who have been begging me to join their crew and I have watched videos of their heists and just pure carnage. I was rolling in laughter.

Got to get in on the fun.

#thuglife

18 minutes ago, PlasmaDogPlasma said:

I like it, but like a lot of PC games these days it seems like it was rushed to the market. Along with some other bugs and nuisances, the AI is pretty bad.

So I would say that I think it is going to be great after patches/DLC/mods. I have put a decent number of hours into it, but am probably going to set it aside until at least the first major patch.

Did you play the previous ones? How does it improve or not improve on those?

3 minutes ago, PlasmaDogPlasma said:

Did you play CoH2?

Only the single player and only the western front portion. It's on my list. I wanted to get comfortable with the changes before I jumped into multiplayer.

Just now, Chadstroma said:

Did you play the previous ones? How does it improve or not improve on those?

Did not. From everything I've read the game is definitely more accessible than III though.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PlasmaDogPlasma said:

Did not. From everything I've read the game is definitely more accessible than III though.

Thanks for the feedback! Appreciated.

No reason for me to go run out and get it now anyways since I am starting a new job and for a while will be overwhelmed in a learning curve and getting up and running in sales. But the feedback that there seems to be some things to iron out (pun no intended by wish it was) makes me more inclined to hold off.

So as usual I am behind in what I am playing. But I am rolling through Witcher 3 right now. Had it for a while but was playing other games. Really enjoying it a lot. Haven't gotten far enough to get into any of the expansions but I have both. The progression and the way you can build on it is really interesting and although my deck sucks I am enjoying gwent which is a great mini-game.

9 minutes ago, NCCommish said:

So as usual I am behind in what I am playing. But I am rolling through Witcher 3 right now. Had it for a while but was playing other games. Really enjoying it a lot. Haven't gotten far enough to get into any of the expansions but I have both. The progression and the way you can build on it is really interesting and although my deck sucks I am enjoying gwent which is a great mini-game.

Gwent is great.  I have all the decks and have done everything you can do with it.  Did you know they are coming out with a mobile gwent  standalone game?  

Just now, need2know said:

Gwent is great.  I have all the decks and have done everything you can do with it.  Did you know they are coming out with a mobile gwent  standalone game?  

I saw that. Looked fun. I really want to do better on my decks but it's hard to beat some of these people with that starting northern deck to win the good cards. But I am building. I really want the monster deck that just looks cool but I only have the leader card.

love the Witcher, but on the second play through I am maddened by the load times on the Xbone. I am playing on a higher difficulty, so I die more. it sucks.

16 minutes ago, JerseyToughGuys said:

love the Witcher, but on the second play through I am maddened by the load times on the Xbone. I am playing on a higher difficulty, so I die more. it sucks.

Load times are a bit much at times.

20 hours ago, Borden said:

Why didn't you say anything? Your opinion is just as, if not more, valuable than mine. I'm a fairly easy guy to get along with and pretty open to changing my opinion. Plus, it's always good to have both sides of the story. 

To your point, I haven't played in 3 weeks because I've been out of town and it's nice to know that I can jump back in (hopefully when I get home later today) without being way behind everyone else. Has there been any updates or anything in the last little bit?

Just picked it up a few days ago and haven't been reading this thread much. Different strokes and all that. I do think the community will last, they are starting a competitive mode soon.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, NCCommish said:

I saw that. Looked fun. I really want to do better on my decks but it's hard to beat some of these people with that starting northern deck to win the good cards. But I am building. I really want the monster deck that just looks cool but I only have the leader card.

The nilfgaardion (sp)  is the best.  Later the skellige deck becomes the strongest

3 minutes ago, need2know said:

The nilfgaardion (sp)  is the best.  Later the skellige deck becomes the strongest

Yeah I am starting to get a decent Nilfgard set. Still mostly play Northern Realms sets for now though.

2 hours ago, The Tick said:

Steam Summer sale is on, but steam is so overloaded currently I can't even log in.

Same.  I'll try again tonight, I guess.   The sales have gotten stale since they stopped doing the daily and flash sales, though.  The only games I think I'll pick up is whatever Lego games I don't already have for my daughter since she's really gotten into playing them with me.

4 hours ago, Todem said:

I finally have taken the plunge with GTA V on the PS4. 

Game arrives tomorrow. I loved Vice City (my all time fav to this point) but the online component of this is why I am doing it. I have a bunch of PSN friends who have been begging me to join their crew and I have watched videos of their heists and just pure carnage. I was rolling in laughter.

Got to get in on the fun.

#thuglife

Did the same on XBox. Messed around for a bit with my friend online before I went on vacation. Seems like a lot to get in to can't wait.

• Like 1

On 6/22/2016 at 5:42 PM, Borden said:

Has there been any updates or anything in the last little bit?

Meant to answer this earlier. McCree's Fan the Hammer and Widowmaker's scoped shot were both nerfed on PC. Not sure if it's made it to consoles yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PlasmaDogPlasma said:

Meant to answer this earlier. McCree's Fan the Hammer and Widowmaker's scoped shot were both nerfed on PC. Not sure if it's made it to consoles yet.

I don't think I had to do an update yet. PC is a different beast though. I don't have any experience with mouse and keyboard but from what I understand aiming is way more precise. So, those two are pretty deadly. I've seen are few games where someone who is skilled with one of those just take over a game. Widow is picking people of before they can even get close and McCree mows down a my whole team. 

Another couple other differences that I've noticed are Health Pack locations are hot spots. There will always be battles around those. Also, crews are scraping the recommended team make up. Usually it's 3+ of Symmetra or Torbjorn. 

Finally finished XCom 2 for the first time on either my third or fourth play-through.  Just a fantastic TBS RPGish game.  Picked up where Enemy Unknown/Enemy Within left off and made it even more fun and interesting.

I forgot who recommended the originals to me (Insein?  Chaka?) but thanks for bringing me into this series.  Perfect gameplay (yes, it is hard - thank you), above average plot, and great graphics (on the PC).  Even when your 91% shots miss, that frustration is far eclipsed by the satisfaction of winning.

There are some awesome mods out there that change the UI and not the gameplay so that was outstanding as well.

Highly recommend.  Will play again as an achievement ho'or.

9.4/10 - BECAUSE I NEEDED THAT 91% SHOT!  A MAN DIED ON THAT BATTLEFIELD.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, need2know said:

Used pretty much Northern Realms the whole time,  Skellige is too weak for spies for me and ones they have that are exclusive were mainly too high values.

1 hour ago, madshot31 said:

I love that both XCOMs are backwards compatible now. Can't wait for the next.

I played on the PC but I might do a twitch run on XBox since it was free this month.

4 hours ago, Master of Past and Present said:

Used pretty much Northern Realms the whole time,  Skellige is too weak for spies for me and ones they have that are exclusive were mainly too high values.

Do you have all the hero cards?

4 hours ago, Insein said:

I played on the PC but I might do a twitch run on XBox since it was free this month.

So when Xbox Gold Live (or whatever it's called) has a free game like X-Com this month and you download it, do you get to keep it forever or will you be required to pay after the free download period is up?

1 minute ago, Chaka said:

So when Xbox Gold Live (or whatever it's called) has a free game like X-Com this month and you download it, do you get to keep it forever or will you be required to pay after the free download period is up?

Forever. That's why I download all of them even if I don't install them. It's in your catalog then. Same with PS+

• Like 1

Just now, Insein said:

Forever. That's why I download all of them even if I don't install them. It's in your catalog then. Same with PS+

Very cool.  How do you know if an Xbox 360 game is compatible with the Xbox One?  The X-Com download page says "Download to Xbox 360".

1 minute ago, Chaka said:

Very cool.  How do you know if an Xbox 360 game is compatible with the Xbox One?  The X-Com download page says "Download to Xbox 360".

So far they've been making all the Gold games backwards compatible. So it can be installed and run on XB1.   But there is a list out there that has all the games so far that have BC.

10 minutes ago, Insein said:

So far they've been making all the Gold games backwards compatible. So it can be installed and run on XB1.   But there is a list out there that has all the games so far that have BC.

Found one.

20 hours ago, NCCommish said:

Load times are a bit much at times.

Man...having gotten to Witcher 3 shortly after Phantom Pain, the W3 load times feel downright pleasant.

As far as Gwent goes, I'm most confident in playing Northern Realms. I go with Monsters when I want a more fast-paced match. Skellige is neat with the third-round extra units, definitely.

19 minutes ago, Abrantes said:

Man...having gotten to Witcher 3 shortly after Phantom Pain, the W3 load times feel downright pleasant.

As far as Gwent goes, I'm most confident in playing Northern Realms. I go with Monsters when I want a more fast-paced match. Skellige is neat with the third-round extra units, definitely.

Yeah I heard Phantom was pretty bad that way. I think part of my thing is I have to learn to edit my deck better too often I end with a ton of weather effects or all really low cards. Still feeling my way.

22 hours ago, JerseyToughGuys said:

On play through one, honestly getting tired of playing it. Gathering allies for Kaer Mohren, how much is left?

4 minutes ago, bigmarc27 said:

On play through one, honestly getting tired of playing it. Gathering allies for Kaer Mohren, how much is left?

Lots left. I would say to put it down for a bit. They likely won't be making another game for a while so there's no need to grind through it. 

I loved Witcher but I'm holding off on playing the DLC. It's a nice "Oh yeah! I still have that." 

3 hours ago, Borden said:

Lots left. I would say to put it down for a bit. They likely won't be making another game for a while so there's no need to grind through it. 

I loved Witcher but I'm holding off on playing the DLC. It's a nice "Oh yeah! I still have that." 

I'm kind of the opposite when one of these big games grab me then I am in for the whole thing. I expect to have well over 200 hours in. Heck I am in the 40-50 range and haven't even sniffed Novigrad yet,

1 minute ago, NCCommish said:

I'm kind of the opposite when one of these big games grab me then I am in for the whole thing. I expect to have well over 200 hours in. Heck I am in the 40-50 range and haven't even sniffed Novigrad yet,

This is actually the mistake I made. I did like everything in Velen, then did everything in Novigrad. Then I got to Skellige with tons of hours and just burned through it as quickly as possible because I'm tired of the playing.  I definitely should have kept better pace early on with the main story. 

I realized at the end of Novigrad instead of watching the cutscenes, I was just reading the subtitles and fast forwarding. 

9 hours ago, need2know said:

Do you have all the hero cards?

For Skellige I have something like 15 of 17 for the Gwent quest.  I've down all the side quests so figured the last two might be guys in the main story or something.  Not sure where else they would be as down all the ? marks and such already.

For the other factions I should have all the hero cards.