What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Video games...what ya playing? And what are you looking forward to? (6 Viewers)

My BIL talked up God of War so I picked it up. Having fun with it, took a little while to get the combat down... I like figuring out the strategy of using the boy.  Fun game. 

currently trying to pass the three bells puzzle... I’ll likely be here for a while.  

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HAVsdauKKe4
The video should be enough, although it took me several tries to do it fast enough, since if you miss once you’re likely out of time. Practice from a certain spot until you know exactly how high to aim on each

I was planning on waiting for God of War to come down in price but when I got home from taking my kid to Karate on Saturday, the wife was playing it.  I've only sat down long enough to get through part of the tutorial (basically, killed the deer) but so far it's got that great God of War feel.  Super excited.

I'm not starting anything new until the Dark Souls remaster drops, so I'm holding off on God of War.  It looks great though.  I wasn't a fan of the previous games in the franchise, but I like the direction they seem to have taken with this one.

(Instead, I'm currently doing my millionth run of Resident Evil 4.  Just finished the water room last night).

Last edited by a moderator:
Does Far Cry 5 differ much from the previous games?  4 was essentially the same game as 3.  Explore, find and climb the towers to uncover more land to explore, kill animals to make a wallet, etc.   I'm kind of over that open world formula.

Does Far Cry 5 differ much from the previous games?  4 was essentially the same game as 3.  Explore, find and climb the towers to uncover more land to explore, kill animals to make a wallet, etc.   I'm kind of over that open world formula.
It's definitely different. No more towers to climb. Crafting is essentially limited to making bombs/etc. The way you explore the world and find quests is far more organic. The companions are a blast (especially the cougar and bear).

The only part I didn't like is at a certain point in each of the three areas (which you can travel to and from freely), the game will "capture" you and force you to play a stupid cut scene type thing. 

It's definitely different. No more towers to climb. Crafting is essentially limited to making bombs/etc. The way you explore the world and find quests is far more organic. The companions are a blast (especially the cougar and bear).

The only part I didn't like is at a certain point in each of the three areas (which you can travel to and from freely), the game will "capture" you and force you to play a stupid cut scene type thing. 
Did this happen every time you hit that area or only the first time?

Madden only 12 dollars and I still can't bring myself to buy it.  Maybe later on in the week though.
I’ve always been curious if EA gets excited for drafts with lots of top skill position guys. I’m sure a lot of people buy Madden every year but if the Giants take Saquon and the Jets grab a QB, I bet NY sales of the next name jump a ton. 

Did this happen every time you hit that area or only the first time?
It happens when you hit certain resistance point thresholds in an area. Every time you do something against the enemy, it earns resistance points. Hit certain levels, and the game basically forces you into a cut scene, and a forced level you have to play through. In one area, it's a timer based house you have to get through, and you have to do it more than once when you hit the next point level... super annoying.

For the life of me, I don't understand why Ubisoft games (or just games in general) do this. I'm loving the game, and all of a sudden, I'm transported to some stupid area and have to do some totally different type of gameplay. Like in Assassin's Creed origins... I do not want to do the ship battles - stop forcing me to do them. And the one where you fight a bunch of ships is pretty hard. Really frustrating.   

It happens when you hit certain resistance point thresholds in an area. Every time you do something against the enemy, it earns resistance points. Hit certain levels, and the game basically forces you into a cut scene, and a forced level you have to play through. In one area, it's a timer based house you have to get through, and you have to do it more than once when you hit the next point level... super annoying.

For the life of me, I don't understand why Ubisoft games (or just games in general) do this. I'm loving the game, and all of a sudden, I'm transported to some stupid area and have to do some totally different type of gameplay. Like in Assassin's Creed origins... I do not want to do the ship battles - stop forcing me to do them. And the one where you fight a bunch of ships is pretty hard. Really frustrating.   
For AC:O (since I haven’t played FarCry) It annoys me too after the first time. I think doing something once (maybe set on a low difficulty) can be a nice change of pace but after that those types of missions should be option side missions only.

• Smile
Reactions: jwb
I was planning on waiting for God of War to come down in price but when I got home from taking my kid to Karate on Saturday, the wife was playing it.  I've only sat down long enough to get through part of the tutorial (basically, killed the deer) but so far it's got that great God of War feel.  Super excited.
So your wife bought the game unbeknownst to you, and started it playing it on her own? Congrats, you’ve chosen well. 

Borden said:
For AC:O (since I haven’t played FarCry) It annoys me too after the first time. I think doing something once (maybe set on a low difficulty) can be a nice change of pace but after that those types of missions should be option side missions only.
Agreed. Or another alternative that I've seen done in the past (I forget which games did this) is if you fail two or three times, the game would just let you skip it.  

Playing Mafia 3 which I picked up for cheap back before Christmas but never got around to it.  It's a good mindless loop of driving punching stealth murder and shotgun blasts.  The story is pretty good.  Graphics are a little strange kind of washed out and hard to see sometimes.  Good mindless fun for cheap if you like that formula. 

Wow, Fallout 4 is...big.
Made an executive decision to delete FO4 from my desktop because, apparently I cannot be trusted to be a functional member of society while I have easy access to it.

Redownloading isn't much of a barrier to re-entry but I pray to the Hypno-Toad that it's enough.

You'll be back
I know, I'm just hoping I can get some work done first.

It's really the settlement building aspect that is killing me.  I just seem to really enjoy building them up and upgrading them.  I focus on non-story missions and just collect as much junk as I can to allow me to keep improving my settlements.  I am barely progressing any of the story lines and am still in triple-digits for hours invested.  I gotta walk away for awhile.

Maik Jeaunz said:
So your wife bought the game unbeknownst to you, and started it playing it on her own...
...on the second playstation/tv setup that she insisted we get so we don't have to take turns.

Playing Mafia 3 which I picked up for cheap back before Christmas but never got around to it.  It's a good mindless loop of driving punching stealth murder and shotgun blasts.  The story is pretty good.  Graphics are a little strange kind of washed out and hard to see sometimes.  Good mindless fun for cheap if you like that formula. 
Played it through when it came out. About to fire it back up again and play through it again. It does get a little repetitive with basically doing the same thing twice for some of the gang bosses. I love the soundtrack though.

Made an executive decision to delete FO4 from my desktop because, apparently I cannot be trusted to be a functional member of society while I have easy access to it.

Redownloading isn't much of a barrier to re-entry but I pray to the Hypno-Toad that it's enough.
COMPLETELY OVERRATED!  Re-download and adventure back into the wasteland.

God of War dropped last Friday and today it’s already sending out patch 1.16.

That’s 5 patches in a week.

Far Cry 5. Wow, not taking long for buyer's remorse to set in. I didn't realize how bad I must suck at these kind of games. After five or six deaths and not being able to get through the intro, I already turned it off out of frustration.

Far Cry 5. Wow, not taking long for buyer's remorse to set in. I didn't realize how bad I must suck at these kind of games. After five or six deaths and not being able to get through the intro, I already turned it off out of frustration.
A few tips:

1) Stealth is not that good (at first). They know where you are instantly. I use stealth to take out an alarm or two, and that's about it.

2) Companions help - get the perks where you get to have two. If you get the arrow lady and the cougar, stealth becomes a lot easier.

3) Blowing stuff up is effective. It's Far Cry - have fun with crazy stuff. And if you go in guns blazing, get the bear companion. 

A few tips:

1) Stealth is not that good (at first). They know where you are instantly. I use stealth to take out an alarm or two, and that's about it.

2) Companions help - get the perks where you get to have two. If you get the arrow lady and the cougar, stealth becomes a lot easier.

3) Blowing stuff up is effective. It's Far Cry - have fun with crazy stuff. And if you go in guns blazing, get the bear companion. 
I have to get past the intro/tutorial first.

jwb said:
A few tips:

Thanks. Went back and blew thru the tutorial. Now I'm going around clearing up the island. Got a companion. I have found that, at least for what I assume is the tutorial area, stealth has been pretty good. I took out both shrines using stealth, and maybe half the first base or whatever. I haven't got to choose a perk yet. Wish I had another weapon slot. Had no clue whether to take that stealthy bow or hang on to the AR. Would love to have both.

Thanks. Went back and blew thru the tutorial. Now I'm going around clearing up the island. Got a companion. I have found that, at least for what I assume is the tutorial area, stealth has been pretty good. I took out both shrines using stealth, and maybe half the first base or whatever. I haven't got to choose a perk yet. Wish I had another weapon slot. Had no clue whether to take that stealthy bow or hang on to the AR. Would love to have both.
yea, get another weapon slot too - have 2 is a big plus. 

How long does it take to earn a perk?? Expected to have one by now.
oh - it's much different in this game. You earn perks by doing certain things (kill ten people with gun x, etc). Look in your menu - the challenges - that's how you earn perk points.

Final of the Madden bowl was on and it was incredible.  Replay is on twitch and on DisneyXD on Thursday @ 8pm.  The playoffs themselves were awesome as well.  Overall it is a great show.

God of war was on our doorstep on the 20th, I was out of town, so my son got a couple hours in. I got a couple hours in last weekend, beat the stranger and didn’t go much farther. I’m excited by the changes and looking forward to this game

God of war was on our doorstep on the 20th, I was out of town, so my son got a couple hours in. I got a couple hours in last weekend, beat the stranger and didn’t go much farther. I’m excited by the changes and looking forward to this game

Finished Final Fantasy IX over the weekend at right around 100 hours.  It was an interesting game, but not sure if I loved it.  The first part of the game it felt like too much side quest and that I was making no story progress, the second part of the game is an almost 100% linear story where experience, money, and leveling are pretty limited.  You can "break" back to the main world to either level up or earn money to restock items, but it kinda takes you out of the game.

It did feel like the technology finally caught up to the epic final fantasy stories, they've always been pretty dramatic, and it looked/felt kinda funny in cartoon format.  I think both the in game and cut scenes looked really nice.

Didn't 100% this one, and I don't see me going back to finish the mini-games and advanced hunts.

mozzy84 said:
fornite with an update to the map.   Still playing this game like one of the million 12yo kids hooked on it lol
Played with some friends a bit last night.  New area is fun and having it next to towers is a good idea.  Spread some of the pack out.

Finished Far Cry 5 last night. What a disappointment to the endings. I won't spoil it but you do all that #### and still get ####ed up the ### real good on the ending. Very unsatisfying. Loved the game play but dam that ending was bad. 

Finished Final Fantasy IX over the weekend at right around 100 hours.  It was an interesting game, but not sure if I loved it.  The first part of the game it felt like too much side quest and that I was making no story progress, the second part of the game is an almost 100% linear story where experience, money, and leveling are pretty limited.  You can "break" back to the main world to either level up or earn money to restock items, but it kinda takes you out of the game.

It did feel like the technology finally caught up to the epic final fantasy stories, they've always been pretty dramatic, and it looked/felt kinda funny in cartoon format.  I think both the in game and cut scenes looked really nice.

Didn't 100% this one, and I don't see me going back to finish the mini-games and advanced hunts.
This might be one of my favorite FF because they went away from the last few games that were set in a more advanced world, and really put the “fantasy” back in Final Fantasy. And Vivi was one of the best FF characters ever; such a great backstory. 

Started Arkham Knight, fun game so far. Too much with talking to the wrist TV so far though and the Batmobile controls are incredibly squishy. Really don't like driving it outside of battle mode.

And how much money must the Riddler have to be building all these underground race tracks and lairs? Seriously why is he still bothering with crime when he already seems to have more money than God?

Started Arkham Knight, fun game so far. Too much with talking to the wrist TV so far though and the Batmobile controls are incredibly squishy. Really don't like driving it outside of battle mode.

And how much money must the Riddler have to be building all these underground race tracks and lairs? Seriously why is he still bothering with crime when he already seems to have more money than God?
You get used to the Batmobile as you play.  It was super awkward at first for me too.  I highly recommend doing all Riddler challenges before completing story if you want the best ending.  I know they eventually get tedious, but it's worth it.

You get used to the Batmobile as you play.  It was super awkward at first for me too.  I highly recommend doing all Riddler challenges before completing story if you want the best ending.  I know they eventually get tedious, but it's worth it.
I always finish the Riddler challenges in an Arkham game. Stuff like that speaks to my neuroses.

My wife bought Skyrim for her Switch, and is loving it. I was giving her pointers/etc, and now find myself immersed in my own new modded up game on the Xbox. 

This game... it never ends.

This might be one of my favorite FF because they went away from the last few games that were set in a more advanced world, and really put the “fantasy” back in Final Fantasy. And Vivi was one of the best FF characters ever; such a great backstory. 
Wow, I'm an idiot, not sure how I messed my roman numerals up so badly that was supposed to be XV :bag: ...

I actually did finish up the re-master IX on PS4 about a month ago.  Nothing too special about the remake, but I love playing old FF games just for something to do occasionally.  So it's nice not to have to pull out the original backwards compatible PS3 and play my old FF PS2 discs.

i got the playstation pass (or whatever it is called) and you can get 2 free games a month. Playing Beyond: two souls. surprisngly a very engaging game. well written story and def something different

Anybody try Kingdom Come: Deliverance yet? I haven't decided whether or not to pull the trigger yet. Great concept, but apparently initial release is very buggy.

i got the playstation pass (or whatever it is called) and you can get 2 free games a month. Playing Beyond: two souls. surprisngly a very engaging game. well written story and def something different
I started this with the Mrs on the weekend. Did you pick Original or Remixed (chronological)? 

I’m not sure how far we are but the gameplay is starting to get pretty stale. And there’s a few chapters that are flat out boring. In general the story is interesting.

What are you thinking about it as you get farther?

Users who are viewing this thread