What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Video games...what ya playing? And what are you looking forward to? (7 Viewers)

I'm starting to get sucked into Destiny 2. Man, there is a LOT of endgame stuff, most of which I have no clue about (and the game doesn't do a great job of explaining a lot of it).

msommer said:
I can get the whole shebang (1, 2, all dlcs plus prequel) it seems for 40 bucks on steam. Worth it?
Yes, very fun games. You will miss out a little as these games were perfectly designed for 4 player co-op, but playing solo is still pretty awesome.

Yes, very fun games. You will miss out a little as these games were perfectly designed for 4 player co-op, but playing solo is still pretty awesome.
While fun playing with others, I much preferred single player.  If you take the time to enjoy the surroundings - dialogue, scenery, references to pop culture - it really takes it up a notch.  You tend to miss that when you are speed rushing through with friends.  Both experiences can be equally enjoyable, I guess.

I know without a doubt I would hate myself for buying the new COD game...  but I really want to. I think I’ve done this almost every year where inevitably I succumb to my urges and splurge on this purchase, only to leave myself ashamed and dirty. 
I'm going to stay strong this year.  It's a bit easier with the lineup of new releases coming out but I think I'm done with COD for good at this point.

Lol nerdcraft. I had a couple years, started just before wrath of the Lich king and running 25 man nax every weekend by the time I was done. Or 3 manning the first boss in 10 man ulduaar.  Then I quit cold turkey, met a girl, got married. I’m not sure I’ll ever have the time/excuse good enough to justify nerding around for hours again, at least not regular enough to raid and whatnot. 

Night elf Combat rogue that was mainly spec’d/geared for pvp

Night elf death night tank was awesome, also had a pvp spec that I’d use for dps. In the heat of battle if a tank died I could shadowmeld, swap gear, and pick up the boss, man I’m starting to miss it talking about it....

dranaei healer/range dps- I could heal in the nexus while doing more damage than the random dps pickups we’d get- they’d freak out going “wait we don’t have a healer!” 

Thise were my maxed guys, death night was my favorite. Ruined many a horde days in wintergrasp....
I played for about 6 months around that same time, after Burning Crusade but before Lich King expansions. Had to force myself to quit cold turkey because I would literally come home from work play into the night, go to bed, go to work, rinse and repeat.

I'm hoping WoW is still around in some way a few decades from now when I am finally ready to retire and will have tons of free time on my hands.

I'm starting to get sucked into Destiny 2. Man, there is a LOT of endgame stuff, most of which I have no clue about (and the game doesn't do a great job of explaining a lot of it).
I really want to give this a try, how is the PVP?

Is the combat a ton of hopping around and dolphin diving?

Last edited by a moderator:
While fun playing with others, I much preferred single player.  If you take the time to enjoy the surroundings - dialogue, scenery, references to pop culture - it really takes it up a notch.  You tend to miss that when you are speed rushing through with friends.  Both experiences can be equally enjoyable, I guess.
I did not enjoy BL playing solo. It’s basically FPS Diablo and the promise of random loot drops has never done much for me. Never tried 2, so maybe that developed the solo experience better. 

I did not enjoy BL playing solo. It’s basically FPS Diablo and the promise of random loot drops has never done much for me. Never tried 2, so maybe that developed the solo experience better. 
BL2 definitely improved on almost every aspect of the game.  Never made it very far into the Pre-Sequel, but thinking I might just hit it hard this weekend.

I know without a doubt I would hate myself for buying the new COD game...  but I really want to. I think I’ve done this almost every year where inevitably I succumb to my urges and splurge on this purchase, only to leave myself ashamed and dirty. 
and the game collecting dust....i'm not falling for it this time....lol

I really want to give this a try, how is the PVP?

Is the combat a ton of hopping around and dolphin diving?
Unless I'm missing an option somewhere to get matched with people at your own level, PvP isn't worth it if you haven't already invested a lot of time in the game IMO. The few times I've played I have to shoot guys about 20 times with my best guns to kill them and they one shot kill me every time. 

The equipment you grind for in PvE is the same equipment/guns you have in PvP, so guys who have played a ton have a MASSIVE advantage over people who just started.

Snorkelson said:
Lol nerdcraft. I had a couple years, started just before wrath of the Lich king and running 25 man nax every weekend by the time I was done. Or 3 manning the first boss in 10 man ulduaar.  Then I quit cold turkey, met a girl, got married. I’m not sure I’ll ever have the time/excuse good enough to justify nerding around for hours again, at least not regular enough to raid and whatnot. 

Night elf Combat rogue that was mainly spec’d/geared for pvp

Night elf death night tank was awesome, also had a pvp spec that I’d use for dps. In the heat of battle if a tank died I could shadowmeld, swap gear, and pick up the boss, man I’m starting to miss it talking about it....

dranaei healer/range dps- I could heal in the nexus while doing more damage than the random dps pickups we’d get- they’d freak out going “wait we don’t have a healer!” 

Thise were my maxed guys, death night was my favorite. Ruined many a horde days in wintergrasp....
I was a WOW nerd for years. Played on Draenor from the very beginning, through every expansion until the most recent. I finally cancelled right before the last expansion dropped. I hadn't played for months and no longer felt the urge. Just got to the point where it was more boring than fun.

I never really raided much other than the raid finder stuff but had 4 maxed (for that level of play) toons. Mostly played a Fury Warrior and Shadowpriest. Also had a Draenei enhancement shaman and a Monk (named Zivadavid ?).

I think I might buy my sons PS4 when he upgrades. Probably done with PC games and some of the PS games guys in here have talked about sound fun. Time for a change. That "No Man's Sky" game talked about a ways back sounds like it'd be fun.

My son is a diehard FIFA and Fortnite player. He also plays games like Farcry, The Witcher, Bloodborne, etc. when he needs a break from FIFA.

My wife and I also played WOW.  I played from beta until we beat the Lich King expansion.  I was a heavy raider and had multiple server firsts on multiple servers (started on Kel'Thuzad and eventually moved to a non-pvp server) and maxed level characters of every class that was available on the Horde side (never got a Paladin leveled up).  That was a great time in my gaming life that was really just an extension from my EQ times.

Once my wife got pregnant I decided I wouldn't have time to raid anymore (I was right!!!) and I've never been the guy that's OK not being the best so I decided to hang it up (although my wife played through Cataclysm for the last 4 months of her pregnancy since she was home all day).  I miss it a lot and hope that someday I'll be playing whatever is out (WOW 3.0 or whatever) when my son is old enough to nerd out properly.  For now it's consoles only and just games that I can pick up and put down whenever I have a free 30 minutes.

My wife and I also played WOW.  I played from beta until we beat the Lich King expansion.  I was a heavy raider and had multiple server firsts on multiple servers (started on Kel'Thuzad and eventually moved to a non-pvp server) and maxed level characters of every class that was available on the Horde side (never got a Paladin leveled up).  That was a great time in my gaming life that was really just an extension from my EQ times.

Once my wife got pregnant I decided I wouldn't have time to raid anymore (I was right!!!) and I've never been the guy that's OK not being the best so I decided to hang it up (although my wife played through Cataclysm for the last 4 months of her pregnancy since she was home all day).  I miss it a lot and hope that someday I'll be playing whatever is out (WOW 3.0 or whatever) when my son is old enough to nerd out properly.  For now it's consoles only and just games that I can pick up and put down whenever I have a free 30 minutes.
I played EQ for years too, before WOW. Loved it, my first gaming experience.

Still remember the guild calls when a boss popped. Nothing was instanced then so every guild on the server would scramble to get enough people together and race all the other guilds for the kill. People would actually "train" mobs into other guilds racing for the boss kill. Was funny.

Then all the constant trains, spent more time running for the dungeon entrance than actually playing sometimes. Funny how much MMORPG's have changed.

Man this game is addicting. They certainly do a great job of giving you tons of stuff to collect, do, upgrade, etc and do it at a rate that keeps you going without getting frustrated.

Hey, I just need one more Challenge to get this Engram and defeat X more enemies to complete this bounty, and collect this many more resources, etc. Next thing you know it's midnight and you have to get up in 4.5 hours for work.

I used to raid with a group that included parents. When discussing boss strategies in a dungeon, you’d often hear their babies crying in the background. Kinda sad. 

Still remember the guild calls when a boss popped. Nothing was instanced then so every guild on the server would scramble to get enough people together and race all the other guilds for the kill. People would actually "train" mobs into other guilds racing for the boss kill. Was funny.

Then all the constant trains, spent more time running for the dungeon entrance than actually playing sometimes. Funny how much MMORPG's have changed.
2AM phone tree got me my cleric clicky!

LEEEEEEROOOOY JENKINS!!!

Unless I'm missing an option somewhere to get matched with people at your own level, PvP isn't worth it if you haven't already invested a lot of time in the game IMO. The few times I've played I have to shoot guys about 20 times with my best guns to kill them and they one shot kill me every time. 

The equipment you grind for in PvE is the same equipment/guns you have in PvP, so guys who have played a ton have a MASSIVE advantage over people who just started.
I gave up on Destiny a few months back (pre-Forsaken), but unless they changed something, level differences do not matter in PvP unless you are playing Iron Banner - and even then level only matters a little.  I don't think Forsaken has skill-based matching at the moment, although there is considerable debate on it from both sides.  As my son (who's a lot better than me) would say when watching me play PvP, "Get Good".  ?

I have heard the new Forsaken expansion is awesome though, so it wouldn't surprise me if I get sucked back in soon.

Going to be living about 3,000 miles away from my family until the summer so I'll likely have a little more video game time. It's either going to be Destiny 2 or Black Ops 4. Not sure which. Definitely want something with PVP but not a battle royale type.

Going to be living about 3,000 miles away from my family until the summer so I'll likely have a little more video game time. It's either going to be Destiny 2 or Black Ops 4. Not sure which. Definitely want something with PVP but not a battle royale type.
I recommend Destiny 2.  Tons to do as a solo player, in both PvE and PvP.  Plus assuming you've got a headset, you can join up with others to do some of the harder content too (nightfalls, raids, etc.).

Count me as one in the camp of not even bothering to buy BO4.  I don't like the battle royale either, and the rest just gets old too quick.

PlayaHata said:
I gave up on Destiny a few months back (pre-Forsaken), but unless they changed something, level differences do not matter in PvP unless you are playing Iron Banner - and even then level only matters a little.  I don't think Forsaken has skill-based matching at the moment, although there is considerable debate on it from both sides.  As my son (who's a lot better than me) would say when watching me play PvP, "Get Good".  ?

I have heard the new Forsaken expansion is awesome though, so it wouldn't surprise me if I get sucked back in soon.
Level may not matter, but gear and weapons clearly do. So if someone else has a bunch of sweet Legendary and Exotic stuff with high armor levels, they're clearly at an advantage over someone with much lower levels of guns and equipment.

Level may not matter, but gear and weapons clearly do. So if someone else has a bunch of sweet Legendary and Exotic stuff with high armor levels, they're clearly at an advantage over someone with much lower levels of guns and equipment.
For PvE yes, but for most PvP the answer is no.  Destiny has always stripped out level advantages for weapons and armor in PvP to prevent exactly the issue you're talking about, with the exception of Iron Banner, Trials, and Gambit.  Obviously if they've played more and gotten more loot, chances are they've got slightly better weapons and/or better perks on those weapons, but if you are firing the same gun as someone else with the same perks, the level of said weapon is irrelevant in terms of how much damage it will do.  Same goes for armor.

https://gamerant.com/destiny-2-forsaken-pvp-level-advantages-gambit/

I recommend Destiny 2.  Tons to do as a solo player, in both PvE and PvP.  Plus assuming you've got a headset, you can join up with others to do some of the harder content too (nightfalls, raids, etc.).

Count me as one in the camp of not even bothering to buy BO4.  I don't like the battle royale either, and the rest just gets old too quick.
I own Destiny 2 and BO4. Just never had the time to play Destiny 2 and haven't started BO4. I spent a lot of time on the first Destiny and BO3. I'm sure I'll put some time into both and then pick one.

PlayaHata said:

I quit D2 around Curse of Osiris and picked it back up with the Forsaken release. It is very much improved. The new raid is fun and there is a TON to do.

Played Black Ops 4 Blackout (battle royale for those who don't know) for the first time last night (Primetime convinced me to join him).  I never could get into fortnite or pubg but wow was I surprised about how much fun I had.  We played quads as a party of 3/4 and won 2 out of I think 6 matches.   

Definitely worth a try if you like the COD shooting mechanics but don't like the twitch dominant experience of their regular multiplayer.

Pulled out Red Dead Redemption to play this week until 2 drops.

Damn but I hope they have a better controller scheme, or at least a customizable one.  Developers who make the thumbstick press cause you to crouch should all DIAF.   Nothing like getting frantic moving during combat and suddenly you are crouching and helpless.

Same with the horse.  Having it not just go the direction you press relative to the camera sucks ### anytime you have the camera rotated to keep something in sight.

I’m really addicted to PUBG. I watched people play it for awhile on twitch because I didn’t have anything to run it. I played Fortnite solely because I wanted a fun battle royals experience. They’ve got it in a playable state on XB1 now and I just love it. It’s kind of a mess sometimes, but it’s everything I want for gameplay. It’s slow and methodical and if you play smart, you can position yourself to win. 

I got solo win #6 this morning - 3 on Erangel, 2 Miramar, 1 Sanhok. 

Lol, was at an event tonight talking to a new aquaintance. Told me he had two kids, 19 year old daughter just started college and a son that’s a freshman in high school. “He play any sports in school?” I ask... he responds... “is Fortnite a sport?”

So I received an email to get 30% of Fifa 19 by using Loyalty.  I supposed to log in via Fifa 16 as I understand it.   But I don't see any way to purchase it through the game.

Anyone able to take advantage of this...

So I received an email to get 30% of Fifa 19 by using Loyalty.  I supposed to log in via Fifa 16 as I understand it.   But I don't see any way to purchase it through the game.

Anyone able to take advantage of this...
I got one as well but held firm. Vowed to be done with FIFA this year after a multiyear addiction. 

I’m trying to learn Fortnite.  The shooting mechanics are fun but I feel like a deer in headlights when I need to build something in real time.  It’s like being a noob again.  I do like some of the custom skins you can buy and little quirks of the game.  I always try to thank the bus driver.  

I really don’t get the fascination with Battle Royale.  In fact I hate absolutely everything about it.  Just seems like COD s&d on a larger scale.  It’s hard to get good at the game when you have to spend a dickyear quitting the lobby, queuing up for the next game, falling, digging up weapons, rinse repeat etc.  

Pulled out Red Dead Redemption to play this week until 2 drops.

Damn but I hope they have a better controller scheme, or at least a customizable one.  Developers who make the thumbstick press cause you to crouch should all DIAF.   Nothing like getting frantic moving during combat and suddenly you are crouching and helpless.

Same with the horse.  Having it not just go the direction you press relative to the camera sucks ### anytime you have the camera rotated to keep something in sight.
I'm doing the same thing. Enjoying the game, but yeah it really does show its age in the clunky controls. Sometimes my guy feels like a drunk whale stumbling and bumbling around.

As for 2, I can't imagine that they wouldn't allow for customization. In modern gaming there really is no excuse for not giving players the option to remap the controller.

Personally I recommend avoiding similar games and specifically the previous versions of a game that is about to be released. 

FWIW - Id rather the experience be as fresh as possible but I’m ADDd the F out and tend to get bored quickly. 

I got one as well but held firm. Vowed to be done with FIFA this year after a multiyear addiction. 
My son-18-is nuts for FIFA. He goes on and on talking about everything, plays in on line tournaments, and gets frequently reprimanded (and actually lost game for a weekend last year) for yelling and #####ing at it. I think he knows who every soccer player in the world is because of FIFA (though he watches a lot of soccer on TV too).

I'm doing the same thing. Enjoying the game, but yeah it really does show its age in the clunky controls. Sometimes my guy feels like a drunk whale stumbling and bumbling around.

As for 2, I can't imagine that they wouldn't allow for customization. In modern gaming there really is no excuse for not giving players the option to remap the controller.
When it when backwards compatible like 2 months back I tried starting it up. That game takes FOREVER to get rolling. The missions with Bonnie McFarlane at her ranch bored the #### out of me and I stopped playing. 

I really am enjoying COD. Best version since BO1. Plays great. Best collection of maps since...BO1. But good god they need to figure their networking out. 75-80% of my matches end in disconnects/host migrations. It's near unplayable simply based on game stability right now.

I haven't bought any new games in a long time for whatever reason. Started a fresh play of Horizon: Zero Dawn this weekend. Been awhile so am enjoying it. But chasing all the side quests again, I can see me not making it to far before it seems like MOTS again.

I really am enjoying COD. Best version since BO1. Plays great. Best collection of maps since...BO1. But good god they need to figure their networking out. 75-80% of my matches end in disconnects/host migrations. It's near unplayable simply based on game stability right now.
I am on PS4 and have never had any of that.  At the end of a few games it has given me the lobby is no longer available.  It is definitely the best COD in a long time.

I am on PS4 and have never had any of that.  At the end of a few games it has given me the lobby is no longer available.  It is definitely the best COD in a long time.
Invited you a couple of times last weekend.  Enjoying the map remakes, but wish they would have done some of the larger maps instead of the same old they remade for BO3.

The biggest hiccup I have run into (besides the spawns really needing reworked..but that is in every new COD) is that if you are in a party, coming out of a match will sometimes throw you back to the main menu and completely break the party up.  Happens about 1 in 10 matches it seems.

Invited you a couple of times last weekend.  Enjoying the map remakes, but wish they would have done some of the larger maps instead of the same old they remade for BO3.

The biggest hiccup I have run into (besides the spawns really needing reworked..but that is in every new COD) is that if you are in a party, coming out of a match will sometimes throw you back to the main menu and completely break the party up.  Happens about 1 in 10 matches it seems.
I saw one of them, but I had to run.  Hawk, Shadow, and I were running some Blackout yesterday.  It was pretty fun.  Hawk got some gold sniper weapon that he was super happy about.  I tried to pick him up on the ATV, but I smashed him.  I ran his lifeless body over a few more times for good measure.  He needs to look both ways before crossing!

I saw one of them, but I had to run.  Hawk, Shadow, and I were running some Blackout yesterday.  It was pretty fun.  Hawk got some gold sniper weapon that he was super happy about.  I tried to pick him up on the ATV, but I smashed him.  I ran his lifeless body over a few more times for good measure.  He needs to look both ways before crossing!
Not really a Blackout fan, keep getting bored waiting around so move too much and invariably die shortly thereafter.  :)

Haven't tried any of the vehicles, just seem they would be magnets for everyone to shoot at but might try that just to have some fun.

When it when backwards compatible like 2 months back I tried starting it up. That game takes FOREVER to get rolling. The missions with Bonnie McFarlane at her ranch bored the #### out of me and I stopped playing. 
I can totally understand that. The beginning is a bit of a slog. I quit around that same point but eventually returned.

I’m trying to learn Fortnite.  The shooting mechanics are fun but I feel like a deer in headlights when I need to build something in real time.  It’s like being a noob again.  I do like some of the custom skins you can buy and little quirks of the game.  I always try to thank the bus driver.  

I really don’t get the fascination with Battle Royale.  In fact I hate absolutely everything about it.  Just seems like COD s&d on a larger scale.  It’s hard to get good at the game when you have to spend a dickyear quitting the lobby, queuing up for the next game, falling, digging up weapons, rinse repeat etc.  
Yes to everything.

Is it cross platform by chance?  One thing I like a lot about Fortnite is I can play with my old xbox buds.  

Is it cross platform by chance?  One thing I like a lot about Fortnite is I can play with my old xbox buds.  
As far as I know, this version isn't cross compatible.

But the more I'm talking to friends and old game buddies, we all seem to agree this is the best in probably 7/8 years. I'd recommend anyone in here who has (understandably) given up on the COD franchise to seriously give this one consideration.

Users who are viewing this thread