Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
fasteddie_21

Video games...what ya playing? And what are you looking forward to?

20 hours ago, DallasDMac said:

Just finished an NG+ runthrough of Dark Souls III. While I did much better with enemies that gave me issues first time through, I am disappointed in that the one fight I never ever managed to win was the Nameless King. For whatever reason, he just had my number. I don't think I ever got him below 50%, not once.

You gotta get him off the dragon without getting too deep into your estus.  The actual fight once he’s off is not too bad. 

Did yiu you do the DLC?  It’s tough, but I thought it was great. 

3 hours ago, -arcK- said:

Thank you for confirming my suspicions on this game. I was considering getting it whenever it goes on a deep discount, but at this point the games I already have will probably get me to Sept when borderlands 3 comes out. And like you said other good games will start rolling out by then. Days gone looks like a probable skip for me.

I think some parts are repetitive for sure, but I enjoyed it. Even though I’m done with the story I’m still playing to take out all the hordes. 

3 hours ago, bigmarc27 said:

You gotta get him off the dragon without getting too deep into your estus.  The actual fight once he’s off is not too bad. 

Did yiu you do the DLC?  It’s tough, but I thought it was great. 

I do ok getting him off the dragon. I just can't seem to beat him once I get there. He's to quick and every time I try to heal, I get splattered in to oblivion.

3 hours ago, -arcK- said:

Thank you for confirming my suspicions on this game. I was considering getting it whenever it goes on a deep discount, but at this point the games I already have will probably get me to Sept when borderlands 3 comes out. And like you said other good games will start rolling out by then. Days gone looks like a probable skip for me.

Ditto for/from me. I may still try it once the deep discount happens. But I'm not sure. I have to admit, the reviews soured me on it quite a bit.

1 hour ago, 3 hour lunch said:

I think some parts are repetitive for sure, but I enjoyed it. Even though I’m done with the story I’m still playing to take out all the hordes. 

56 minutes ago, DallasDMac said:

Ditto for/from me. I may still try it once the deep discount happens. But I'm not sure. I have to admit, the reviews soured me on it quite a bit.

Yeah the game certainly doesn't look bad at all, but as I'm sure you guys can relate, I have to pick and choose how to devote my gaming time. After the recent Anthem debacle I'm trying to go for games I know with some degree of certainty will be worth my time. I still may try it once I hit a lull, but that doesn't seem to be coming soon.

Finally finished Horizon Zero Dawn.  Have to give it credit for having a novel and interesting (if convoluted) spin on its genre. The protagonist is a great character. The Frozen Wilds expansion had some quests that approached Witcher 3 quality. On the downside, the combat sucked as bad or worse than the typical Far Cry games of the genre, once the novelty of fighting dinosaurs wore off (crafting and inventory management were also needlessly tedious). Also, I didn’t figure out how to turn off the PS4 controller sound that goes off every time you use the Focus until almost the end of the game, which was supremely irritating. 

One more PS4 game to go in my run through the  console’s main exclusives (Spider-Man). 

7 minutes ago, thecatch said:

Finally finished Horizon Zero Dawn.  Have to give it credit for having a novel and interesting (if convoluted) spin on its genre. The protagonist is a great character. The Frozen Wilds expansion had some quests that approached Witcher 3 quality. On the downside, the combat sucked as bad or worse than the typical Far Cry games of the genre, once the novelty of fighting dinosaurs wore off (crafting and inventory management were also needlessly tedious). Also, I didn’t figure out how to turn off the PS4 controller sound that goes off every time you use the Focus until almost the end of the game, which was supremely irritating. 

One more PS4 game to go in my run through the  console’s main exclusives (Spider-Man). 

Wow....funny how people can have wildly different opinions. I thought HZD's combat was its strong suit, though I really enjoyed the origin story as well. Probably my favorite combat of any game next to God of War. Far Cry's combat is definitely meh...fun for a little while but gets old.

HZD's is nothing like it in my opinion. Every robot had strengths and weaknesses, and it takes planning and skill to exploit that information. Stealth was awesome. Setting tripwire and slinging bombs was awesome. Arrow combat....superb. Only thing that was just ok about the combat was the melee fighting and taking on humans.  

Edited by pepwaves
  • Like 5

9 hours ago, pepwaves said:

Wow....funny how people can have wildly different opinions. I thought HZD's combat was its strong suit, though I really enjoyed the origin story as well. Probably my favorite combat of any game next to God of War. Far Cry's combat is definitely meh...fun for a little while but gets old.

HZD's is nothing like it in my opinion. Every robot had strengths and weaknesses, and it takes planning and skill to exploit that information. Stealth was awesome. Setting tripwire and slinging bombs was awesome. Arrow combat....superb. Only thing that was just ok about the combat was the melee fighting and taking on humans.  

Agreed. Far cry is just spraying bullets for the most part, unless you like sneaky-stabs. Not much variation. On HZD, you'll get your teeth kicked in, especially on higher difficulties, if you don't approach each enemy type knowing exactly how to use everything in your arsenal.

On 6/25/2019 at 10:46 PM, pepwaves said:

Fair enough. I didn’t see the need or have the patience to play around much with the trap mechanics, and by the end of Frozen Wilds in particular you are just hacking and shooting giant bullet (arrow?) sponge robots repeatedly. I’d rate this among the better games I’ve played this gen, but the combat just didn’t do it for me. 

Edited by thecatch

12 hours ago, thecatch said:

the glaring glances I was getting from my GF on the other side of the couch about an hour into the game made me figure out how to turn that off REAL quickly for my own health and safety...

• Like 1

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night is GOTY for me so far.  If you ever played the classic Castlevania: SOTN, this is essentially it's sequel.  The guy from Konami who made that game quit and made this game through a kickstarter.  It's a great followup to the best Metroidvania ever made.  

Last day to do the $1 Xbox Ultimate game pass upgrade.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Insein said:

Thanks for this.  Subscription only ran through the end of the year for me

• Like 1

On 6/27/2019 at 2:54 PM, Scoresman said:

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night is GOTY for me so far.  If you ever played the classic Castlevania: SOTN, this is essentially it's sequel.  The guy from Konami who made that game quit and made this game through a kickstarter.  It's a great followup to the best Metroidvania ever made.  

Looks good but I’m not paying $40 for it. 

On 6/19/2019 at 5:00 PM, LAUNCH said:

https://www.pcgamesn.com/ea-loot-boxes

EA: They’re not loot boxes, they’re “surprise mechanics,” and they’re “quite ethical”

EA’s implementation of loot boxes has come under plenty of fire, even relative to the general outcry against the mechanic. The pushback against Battlefront 2 loot boxes was so intense that EA reworked the entire system, and the wild popularity of FIFA Ultimate Team means that it has gotten scrutiny even from watchdog groups and governmental organisations.

Kerry Hopkins, EA’s VP of legal and government affairs, insists that the company’s randomised purchases aren’t loot boxes, but rather “surprise mechanics.” In an oral evidence session with the UK Parliament’s Digital, Culture, Media, and Sport Committee, Hopkins compares the mechanics to surprise toys, which have been around “for years, whether it’s Kinder Eggs, or Hatchimals, or LOL Surprise.”

EA needs stop this crap and so do others. It's just greed at this point. It's also ruining the experience for gamers who don't give a dam about ultimate Teams or "loot" crates Just give me a game with good graphics and mechanics and a good storyline/Campaign/Franchise mode fix online issues and give me some tasks I could do in order to win something. You price out most fans and a former NBA2k Ultimate Team or whatever it is player exposed the whole UT system a year ago. It's a scam. The only people who continually get good cards are those who pay a ton of money or the the games pick to GIVE FREE COPIES OF GAME TOO to do promotional work for them. People see all the "COOL stuff: they can get and think they can get them. The system is rigged so you get maybe a great card/player only so many months or so. You If you don't want to pay money you better be a great gamer and grind for hours. Honestly hope if gaming industry doesn't put a stop to this some governments do. It's fraudulent IMHO 

Anyone got any game suggestions? I'm solely playing FIFA/NBA2k/TheShow and dabbing in and out of The Division. Anything on the cheap shooter wise or anything I should get? I think Yakuza the newest or remake of one of the older games came out and I was playing those from the start and started with the newest one awhile back the Prequel to the whole thing. 

The scam really is people shelling out hundreds of dollars/euros on digital cards that are tied only to that version of the game. No transfers. You have to buy the cards again on the new version. And suckers do. It's crazy.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Insein said:

The scam really is people shelling out hundreds of dollars/euros on digital cards that are tied only to that version of the game. No transfers. You have to buy the cards again on the new version. And suckers do. It's crazy.

Yeah way too many suckers for it too. 

7 hours ago, STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:

Looks good but I’m not paying $40 for it. 

If you’re into the nostalgia machine that SOTN was, it’s so worth it. I’m almost at 40 hours put into the game. 

1 minute ago, Scoresman said:

If you’re into the nostalgia machine that SOTN was, it’s so worth it. I’m almost at 40 hours put into the game. 

If it's as good as SOTN Ill pick it up on sale. I haven't liked any of the Castlevania games since SOTN. Its shocking they didn't keep releasing similar games. 

3 minutes ago, STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:

If it's as good as SOTN Ill pick it up on sale. I haven't liked any of the Castlevania games since SOTN. Its shocking they didn't keep releasing similar games. 

I feel it’s better actually. Way deeper with crafting and shards. The RPG elements really shine and it still has the exploration and secret rooms/bosses/endings that SOTN had. You can tell it’s made by the same lead developer. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Scoresman said:

I feel it’s better actually. Way deeper with crafting and shards. The RPG elements really shine and it still has the exploration and secret rooms/bosses/endings that SOTN had. You can tell it’s made by the same lead developer. 

Sounds great. After looking at some review which led me to Hollow Knight. That game looks amazing too. 

Edited by STEADYMOBBIN 22

On 6/24/2019 at 4:48 PM, 3 hour lunch said:

It's an oddly-designed game.  I reached the 4th and 5th camps just recently, so I'm officially into "late game" but not "post game" content.  Now that I'm at the point where my weapons are better, my bike is better, my skills are better, etc., this is actually a very enjoyable game to play and not the chore that it was for the first 10-15 hours or so.  The story also picks up and becomes way more interesting when you reach the 3rd camp.  

I'm looking forward to taking out the hoards.  Again, this is an strange design element.  The ability to fight hundreds of zombies simultaneously was show off as a major feature of the game during development, but it's basically firewalled into the post-game stage due to the difficulty involved.

3 hours ago, IvanKaramazov said:

It's an oddly-designed game.  I reached the 4th and 5th camps just recently, so I'm officially into "late game" but not "post game" content.  Now that I'm at the point where my weapons are better, my bike is better, my skills are better, etc., this is actually a very enjoyable game to play and not the chore that it was for the first 10-15 hours or so.  The story also picks up and becomes way more interesting when you reach the 3rd camp.  

I'm looking forward to taking out the hoards.  Again, this is an strange design element.  The ability to fight hundreds of zombies simultaneously was show off as a major feature of the game during development, but it's basically firewalled into the post-game stage due to the difficulty involved.

Yeah it’s true. One chased after me mid-game and I ran to a water tower so I didn’t have to fight. They incorporate a couple into the main story line late, but you’re better off avoiding most until very late.

Just finished an epic play through of Assassin's Creed 2 all the way through AC: Syndicate.  Bunch of the re-releases went on sale earlier this year and I just started on 2 and kept going.  Interesting to see how the series progresses and the highs and lows of the series.  AC:2, BF, and Syndicate are still the best games.  Syndicate may actually have been my favorite of the bunch.  Unity was the worst which was really unfortunate since Paris looked pretty nice and the French revolution could have been a pretty cool background for a story.

• Thanks 1

On 7/5/2019 at 8:10 PM, STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:

Sounds great. After looking at some review which led me to Hollow Knight. That game looks amazing too. 

Bought Hollow Knight a couple of months back. Finally started it, got about 45 mins in and killed boss #1. It’s a class metroidvania type game.  There are already ledges I’ve seen that I can’t get to, tight controls with lots of jumping and slashing. So far so good. 

56 minutes ago, bigmarc27 said:

Bought Hollow Knight a couple of months back. Finally started it, got about 45 mins in and killed boss #1. It’s a class metroidvania type game.  There are already ledges I’ve seen that I can’t get to, tight controls with lots of jumping and slashing. So far so good. 

I keep reading that it’s one of the best, if not the best metroidvania game ever. 

On 7/4/2019 at 11:59 PM, Insein said:

This deal is still active, by the way. Just did it.

2 hours ago, McBokonon said:

Nice. Guess when they said last day, they were just trying to make everyone rush to get it.

I know this isn't some new whiz-bang cool new game but it is FREE and an excellent game imo......

https://slickdeals.net/f/13210636-torchlight-pc-digital-download-free?page=3#commentsBox

.... I've always been a big fan of the original and coincidentally started playing it again about a month ago. When it first came out several years ago I loved the fact that the hardware requirements were so low it would run on almost anything. It even ran decent on an old "Netbook" I used to own back in the days before chromebooks existed. Anyway, if you've never given it a try I highly suggest it. Torchlight III(Frontiers) is supposed to be released in 2019 so I am looking forward to it. Lots of people think Torchlight II was much better than Torchlight I but for some reason it actually felt more repetitive to me. Maybe just because it was longer.

The only drawback is that it's not on steam. You have to create an Epic account.

On 6/27/2019 at 2:54 PM, Scoresman said:

This game is incredible.  I've been waiting nearly 5 years and wasn't sure if it'd be worth it, but it's definitely worth it.

On 7/5/2019 at 6:40 PM, STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:

They did.  They're just on Nintendo DS.

7 hours ago, McBokonon said:

As did I.

Edited by Tony Jabroni

Need advice for Prime Day.

Currently have XboX 360 and looking to upgrade to XboX One with these parameters:

- no 4K TV (yet)

- don’t play online (solo campaigns or sports only)

- buying BL3 on release in Sept

do I need the X or S version?

6 hours ago, Quint said:

Currently have XboX 360 and looking to upgrade to XboX One with these parameters:

- no 4K TV (yet)

S.  The framerate advantage of the X is almost a good enough reason to spring for it, but since you've waited this long, save up, make sure you get the Game Pass and maybe an external drive instead (and you don't have to have one branded by Microsoft).  Also EA Access is worth buying for the sports games alone.  With that and Game Pass, you'll be good on games for awhile.   

Though, if that "yet" on the 4K means you're considering one soon, go ahead and go with the X so you can take advantage.  Until then, your games will still look better and smoother using the X on the 1080p TV.

Edited by SlaX
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Quint said:

- no 4K TV (yet)

I’ll echo what Slax said, prob just need the S. My only caveat is if you’re on the verge of getting a 4K tv and you’re a graphics snob, maybe go X. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/13/2019 at 9:40 PM, SlaX said:

They did.  They're just on Nintendo DS.

Really? I’ll have to check em out. Pretty sure we still have a 3DS laying around someplace 

8 hours ago, STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:

Really? I’ll have to check em out. Pretty sure we still have a 3DS laying around someplace 

Circle of the Moon, Harmony of Dissonance, Aria of Sorrow, Dawn of Sorrow, and Portrait of Ruin.  Aria of Sorrow is considered the best of those.  I forgot, but the first 3 or so of those were on GBA, not DS.  I'm not one to shy away from emulation if that's the only way I can play them.  But I'm also not really allowed to suggest it either.

• Like 1

After completing my Assassin's Creed run, I still had 2 days left on the 4th of July weekend, and I FINALLY started up my first play though of Fallout 4.  I've been sitting on that forever, just waiting on a good amount of time to really be able to jump in.  Game is nuts, I could have a ridiculous amount of hours in it my the time it's done.  This week I've been mired in settlements a bit, so I haven't even gone questing/exploring.  I have not been getting enough sleep these last two weeks, work has hurt a couple days.

Love the game, just sucks dealing with the usual Bethesda RPG bugs.

• Like 2

Fired up my WoW subscription for the first time in 10 years. The game has changed a ton, i going to solo all of the instances ahead of WoW Classic. I explored BRD last night and mostly remembered how it went.  think I jumped the gun a month early though.

7 hours ago, Bucky86 said:

Does anyone play the FIFA games? The World Cup kinda got me into soccer and was wondering if FIFA 20 would be worth getting in September? I'm kinda over Madden, so I won't be buying that this year.

I used to play a ton, it is a very fun game...  there's a very active community...  but I'm fed up w/ everything EA makes.  

• Like 2

Anyone play The Golf Club 2019?  It's available for cheap on PS4, XBone, and PC.

There are online societies where you compete (not live) cross platform.  

I've been enjoying the game, but I've seen very unrealistic low scores.  I've been playing a month or so and my handicap is at +13.  

ComicCon had a meeting with a myriad industry insiders. And most agreed that game sales (which drive a ton of content in non-game areas) is growing with the PC and its coming at expense of both console and phones. Which is a reversal of 10 years ago.

Edited by BigSteelThrill
  • Like 1

On 7/16/2019 at 4:11 PM, Poke_4_Life said:

Anyone play The Golf Club 2019?  It's available for cheap on PS4, XBone, and PC.

I've been enjoying the game, but I've seen very unrealistic low scores.  I've been playing a month or so and my handicap is at +13.  

I played the first Golf Club game and really enjoyed it. I found the course editor to be very difficult to use, which is unfortunate because I was really looking forward to that portion. As far as the golf itself, it became pretty easy but I still enjoyed it. I prefer the old 3 click golf games like Links LS back in the day, but this game is as close as they’ve come in a bit to making realistic golf. 

On 7/16/2019 at 4:11 PM, Poke_4_Life said:

I've owned every one.  IT was a Xbox Gold free game ...  Haven't dove in this version though.

Search for Magnolia course - its Augusta

I'm playing Kingdom Come Deliverance. I had it on my radar a year ago, but never got to it. They recently released an edition with all DLC for $39, so I got it.

This is a great game for people who like deep RPG's. It's somewhat similar to Skyrim in look and feel and how you level (you level up by doing things instead of awarded experience points). The game is also waaaaay more "realistic", with much better (and much harder) combat, a much deeper stat/perk system, and a pretty good main quest/story (and a ton of sidequests). There's no magic in the game, either.

It's almost like a middle ages life sim as well as an RPG. Everything you do seems hard. You will need to eat and sleep, your food will spoil (and spoiled food could give you food poisoning which may eventually even kill you), you won't get anywhere trying to talk to people with mud and blood all over your clothes, fast travel is not instantaneous (you watch your marker travel on the map, and you could get interrupted), etc. Even "waiting" takes a real life minute as you watch the clock wind down. The game forces you to play patiently and take time in doing things. This is very clearly NOT a game for people who have an hour to game every few days.

The combat feels a little clunky at first, but it's actually quite intricate. It's also hard - you will never, ever be that godly assassin you were in Skyrim. Wipe out an entire fort by yourself? Zero chance of that happening. Taking on two guys is looking to get killed. Forget taking on four guys or whatnot. Which is probably the way it should be - a few angry peasants with clubs would be trouble for even a knight (and you're not a knight in this game). 

Saving is pretty limited too - you can only save when you sleep, when you exit the game, or when you drink an expensive/rare potion (the game also autosaves at key points in quests). So there's really no "let me save then try this". 

The above doesn't sound fun does it? But it is if you're the patient type of gamer who wants a very deep, very realistic RPG. It's also really cool if you like the middle ages - there's a ton of info about life back then - I spent an hour last night just reading the codex entries. I've really become enamored with it, and can see playing this for a long time. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, belljr said:

I've owned every one.  IT was a Xbox Gold free game ...  Haven't dove in this version though.

Search for Magnolia course - its Augusta

I've got the PS4 version for $20.  Been playing with the tgctour.com online society.  I'm in CC-E, about 10 levels below the best golfers.  :bag:

My handicap is around +13 now.  :excited:

• Like 1