Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
fasteddie_21

Video games...what ya playing? And what are you looking forward to?

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, TheIronSheik said:

I've heard the game referenced but I can honestly tell you I have no idea what the game is or what it's about.  And again, this is an indictment on me. 

Not it isn't, and I'm sorry if you feel I implied any such negative in my post. All I was trying to do was explain why he seemed shocked. I totally get it as I skim over posts in this thread all the time (looking at you, sports game discussions). I was just sayin'...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I finished my Black Knight Halberd run of Dark Souls. ( @TheIronSheik Dark Souls is a video game originally released in 2011, widely considered the best game of the PS360 generation).  I've done strength builds in every other Souls game, but never this one for whatever reason.  This time I used no sorcery, miracles, or pyromancy at all, and I only used my bow for occasionally drawing aggro and killing one particular enemy near a bonfire in Duke's Archives who I didn't need to kill but it was a matter of general principle.  A few comments:

1) The BKH is a murder-stick.  By the time you get it, you'll probably have enough twinkling titanite to get it to +2 right off the bat, and you can max it out prior to O&S.  What makes this run challenging though is that you have to pour a ton of levels into Strength just to wield it effectively, so your HP and Stamina will be weak and you won't be able to wear heavy armor.  Even at 40 Endurance, I still couldn't wear the black leather set and fast roll.  But this weapon just cuts through most enemies and destroys lots of bosses.  I could just stand there in front of Seath and mash R1 and that's all it took.

2) Gwyn is so much easier with a melee build.  I remember struggling with this boss with casters because he almost never gives you an opening to uncork a spell.  This time I nearly beat him on my first try, but I got greedy and tried to get in an extra hit when he was down to a sliver of health.  You know how that sort of strategy works out in Dark Souls.  After respawning back at the Lord Vessel, I made my way back and beat him with no problems at all.

3) This game is so much easier than Dark Souls 3 and Bloodborne.   There is nothing even resembling Dancer or Nameless King or Defiled Watchdog or Martyr Logarius in this one.  If you approach NG with a sense of patience and build your character rationally, you will be fine even if you have no actual skill.  NG+ is a different story thanks to Four Kings of course.

4) The world-building in this game is still amazing after nearly 10 years.  No other game has topped this one or even come close.

5) Having said that, let's remember that technically the world-building is amazing for 95% of the game.  The other 5%, as we all know, is the segment from Quelaag to Bed-of-Bull####.  I heard you liked the Taurus Demon!  Well, there's 27 of them just standing there waiting for you to tediously pick them off one by one.  I heard you liked the Capra Demon!  Well, there's a bunch of them standing there in a tiny little area for you to skip over since there's a bonfire that you can reach by just rolling off the main path.  I heard you liked the Asylum Demon!  You already fought a re-skinned version of this guy if you went back to the asylum, but what the heck let's give him to you a third time.  And now let's give you a boss that you fight in a lava field on a patch of earth the size of a postage stamp.  And another lava area that features hostile dinosaur legs and makes your eyes bleed with the color palate.  And the worst boss in the entire franchise, that should have been removed from the remaster out of embarrassment.  I can't get over how terrible this segment is every time I play it, and the rest of the game is so phenomenal.  It's like the developers lost a bet, and the interns got to design this part.  

6) This game still holds up extremely well.  The build variety is great, the levels are well-done (see #5 above), the atmosphere is incredible, etc.  I'm not ashamed to say that the Demon's Souls remaster is my most anticipated title coming up.  

Edited by IvanKaramazov
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, DallasDMac said:

Not it isn't, and I'm sorry if you feel I implied any such negative in my post. All I was trying to do was explain why he seemed shocked. I totally get it as I skim over posts in this thread all the time (looking at you, sports game discussions). I was just sayin'...

No worries, GB.  I was just saying I didn't know that game.  But there are a lot of big name games I know OF but don't know anything about.  My younger brother always rolls his eyes when he tells me a game is like Assassin's Creed and I'm like :shrug:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/25/2019 at 10:34 PM, DallasDMac said:

Opened packages today. Metro: Exodus, Borderlands 3 and Days Gone.

Absolutely loved Days Gone, haven't played the others

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, IvanKaramazov said:

So I finished my Black Knight Halberd run of Dark Souls. ( @TheIronSheik Dark Souls is a video game originally released in 2011, widely considered the best game of the PS360 generation).  I've done strength builds in every other Souls game, but never this one for whatever reason.  This time I used no sorcery, miracles, or pyromancy at all, and I only used my bow for occasionally drawing aggro and killing one particular enemy near a bonfire in Duke's Archives who I didn't need to kill but it was a matter of general principle.  A few comments:

1) The BKH is a murder-stick.  By the time you get it, you'll probably have enough twinkling titanite to get it to +2 right off the bat, and you can max it out prior to O&S.  What makes this run challenging though is that you have to pour a ton of levels into Strength just to wield it effectively, so your HP and Stamina will be weak and you won't be able to wear heavy armor.  Even at 40 Endurance, I still couldn't wear the black leather set and fast roll.  But this weapon just cuts through most enemies and destroys lots of bosses.  I could just stand there in front of Seath and mash R1 and that's all it took.

2) Gwyn is so much easier with a melee build.  I remember struggling with this boss with casters because he almost never gives you an opening to uncork a spell.  This time I nearly beat him on my first try, but I got greedy and tried to get in an extra hit when he was down to a sliver of health.  You know how that sort of strategy works out in Dark Souls.  After respawning back at the Lord Vessel, I made my way back and beat him with no problems at all.

3) This game is so much easier than Dark Souls 3 and Bloodborne.   There is nothing even resembling Dancer or Nameless King or Defiled Watchdog or Martyr Logarius in this one.  If you approach NG with a sense of patience and build your character rationally, you will be fine even if you have no actual skill.  NG+ is a different story thanks to Four Kings of course.

4) The world-building in this game is still amazing after nearly 10 years.  No other game has topped this one or even come close.

5) Having said that, let's remember that technically the world-building is amazing for 95% of the game.  The other 5%, as we all know, is the segment from Quelaag to Bed-of-Bull####.  I heard you liked the Taurus Demon!  Well, there's 27 of them just standing there waiting for you to tediously pick them off one by one.  I heard you liked the Capra Demon!  Well, there's a bunch of them standing there in a tiny little area for you to skip over since there's a bonfire that you can reach by just rolling off the main path.  I heard you liked the Asylum Demon!  You already fought a re-skinned version of this guy if you went back to the asylum, but what the heck let's give him to you a third time.  And now let's give you a boss that you fight in a lava field on a patch of earth the size of a postage stamp.  And another lava area that features hostile dinosaur legs and makes your eyes bleed with the color palate.  And the worst boss in the entire franchise, that should have been removed from the remaster out of embarrassment.  I can't get over how terrible this segment is every time I play it, and the rest of the game is so phenomenal.  It's like the developers lost a bet, and the interns got to design this part.  

6) This game still holds up extremely well.  The build variety is great, the levels are well-done (see #5 above), the atmosphere is incredible, etc.  I'm not ashamed to say that the Demon's Souls remaster is my most anticipated title coming up.  

I still like parts of the game, but after beating it 4x or so now, I also really hate parts of it. I don’t enjoy the Archives, I really don’t enjoy the Catacombs, and I hate the Tomb of Giants.  I love the game because it was my first Souls game, but it’s like 4th on my replay list if I were to play through again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, gocuse3 said:

Anybody have an old copy of ncaa football 14 for 360 they would be willing to get rid of. I’m looking for a copy. Paging @LAUNCH my old friend @boubucarow @Bobcat10 the old league was good times. 

Who was the chucker?  Had to be Launch.  lol

I know my 360 is in a box in my currently-getting-finished basement.  All my storage stuff is basically stacked in one corner.  Probably can't get to it for a bit.  But I may have the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bigmarc27 said:

I still like parts of the game, but after beating it 4x or so now, I also really hate parts of it. I don’t enjoy the Archives, I really don’t enjoy the Catacombs, and I hate the Tomb of Giants.  I love the game because it was my first Souls game, but it’s like 4th on my replay list if I were to play through again. 

I like the Archives, but I agree with you that there is a noticeable step-down in level design after you get the Lord Vessel.  I think some of it has to do with the fact that the ensuing levels have to be "dead ends" and can't interconnect in interesting ways, but several also employ some pretty annoying mechanics (e.g. the darkness in Tomb of the Giants, the whole ghost thing in New Londo).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Bobcat10 said:

Who was the chucker?  Had to be Launch.  lol

I know my 360 is in a box in my currently-getting-finished basement.  All my storage stuff is basically stacked in one corner.  Probably can't get to it for a bit.  But I may have the game.

Whenever is cool. Launch was and probably still is in a love affair with Tim Tebow 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Playing fallen order on ps4

Going through on grand master and got to ilum to get new lightsaber.  Game breaking bug.  Right after kal falls through the ice I get stuck.  Cant swim anywhere.  Forced to restart.  This sucks.  I dont really want to play it through again.  I put in a bug report but jeez.  I cant recall not being able to finish a game because of a bug before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, need2know said:

Playing fallen order on ps4

Going through on grand master and got to ilum to get new lightsaber.  Game breaking bug.  Right after kal falls through the ice I get stuck.  Cant swim anywhere.  Forced to restart.  This sucks.  I dont really want to play it through again.  I put in a bug report but jeez.  I cant recall not being able to finish a game because of a bug before.

Happened to me with GTA San Andreas. I was in the Las Vegas city and failed a mission. The mission never showed again. No other missions ever showed again. I had saved over it so couldn't go back. I was at least 30-35 hours in at that point. I never went back to this day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/23/2019 at 7:18 PM, jwb said:

Yea, this game is a lot of fun once you get the hang of using the powers/etc. 

When you beat it, you can play again as the other character, and keep all of your powers right from the start. Very fun.

I assume this is the New Game + option as opposed to just a new game? I figured with New Game +, I'd be stuck with the same character.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, DallasDMac said:

I assume this is the New Game + option as opposed to just a new game? I figured with New Game +, I'd be stuck with the same character.

Nope, you can choose again. But you keep the powers/points, and iirc, have access to both trees. It's awesomely overpowered fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, jwb said:

Nope, you can choose again. But you keep the powers/points, and iirc, have access to both trees. It's awesomely overpowered fun.

Decided to mess with a 2nd regular run through with the female protagonist. May not finish it but want to see the skill tree. My initial thought is, Corvo is more fun. But Domino seems kinda cool to play with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone else here play NBA2K online?  I'm having a hard time figuring out if my experience is normal, or if I need to look into upgrading my router.  The game plays totally different online vs offline.  There is a touch of lag which makes shooting impossible for me (the timing is different as the shooting bar doesn't match perfectly, so you have to release the shot sooner than the bar tells you).  My player moves are slightly delayed, so playing D on the perimiter is nearly impossible.  Then, one out of every 10 games, I'll have a monster game blocking everything and every shot goes in.

Not sure is this is the typical experience for the average gamer, or if I could have router issues.  I have the faster Comcast broadband available, but I have their stock router.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would like a virtual pinball machine featuring:

- The Addams Family

- The X-Files

- Terminator 2

- Funhouse

And, I'm probably missing a couple but when can I expect this to happen?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I realize this is more of a software thread than hardware BUT this would probably get me gaming much more than I do today in that you could play your entire Steam library mobile or at home on it......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uf4PNSfTNpY

.... I hope there is enough interest in this device that they actually release the product. It would probably be expensive given it's "Alienware" but given the fact I wouldn't have to go out and purchase a library of games for the device and already own hundreds of games on Steam it would probably be cheaper in the long run.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just finished Until Dawn and had a good time.  For those that have played it (and then replayed it), was it worth playing again to run through the different paths you could have taken?

I'm definitely going to play it again because when my bad gaming skills caused a player to die, I felt like I had let them down personally.

And for gosh sakes, how much "more still" do I have to be?  I was dang near doing the mannequin challenge and wasn't deemed "still"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/28/2019 at 7:42 AM, need2know said:

Playing fallen order on ps4

Going through on grand master and got to ilum to get new lightsaber.  Game breaking bug.  Right after kal falls through the ice I get stuck.  Cant swim anywhere.  Forced to restart.  This sucks.  I dont really want to play it through again.  I put in a bug report but jeez.  I cant recall not being able to finish a game because of a bug before.

My game has had horrible graphic bugs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been playing bloodborne for the first time.  Its great

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Goat Simulator is one of the free PS Plus games this month. It’s so dumb yet lots of fun. My 10 year old is especially loving it.

Was looking at upcoming 2020 releases and one site had Beyond Good & Evil 2 listed with no date. I got pretty excited as the first one is one of my favorite games. But after looking into it, it seems like it may be potentially dead in the water. And after seeing the “demo” videos I’m not sure I’d even want to play it anyway. Other than a few of the original characters being recognizable, the game doesn’t seem to resemble the first one in any way. The graphics style is totally different, the “feel” of the game seems totally different, the original characters don’t seem like the same characters, and the entire concept of the game seems totally foreign. The whole thing just seemed like a completely different game that stole the names and resemblances of a few character, jammed them in and slapped Beyond Good & Evil 2 on it and that was that. So disappointed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, need2know said:

Been playing bloodborne for the first time.  Its great

Sitting on my shelf, next on the docket.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Statorama said:

Just finished Until Dawn and had a good time.  For those that have played it (and then replayed it), was it worth playing again to run through the different paths you could have taken?

I'm definitely going to play it again because when my bad gaming skills caused a player to die, I felt like I had let them down personally.

And for gosh sakes, how much "more still" do I have to be?  I was dang near doing the mannequin challenge and wasn't deemed "still"

I played it a second time after somewhere between six month and a year. That way I could enjoy the story again. I probably played the exact same way the second time. I love stealth kills no matter the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bigmarc27 said:

Loved the game, went through it about a year ago. I gave it it’s own thread so if you want you can follow along with your progress. 
https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/773748-bloodborne-ps4/?tab=comments#comment-21636787

Cool.  I have been doing most of it without any guides or help.  Pretty far I think.   Nightmare of mensis middle right now.  Only a few chalice dungeons.  Gonna play through again on ng+

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, need2know said:

Cool.  I have been doing most of it without any guides or help.  Pretty far I think.   Nightmare of mensis middle right now.  Only a few chalice dungeons.  Gonna play through again on ng+

Pretty decent bit in. Did you get the DLC?  I’d say it’s very worth having and I’d do it before you get a whole lot further.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Playing Assassins Creed Odyssey now- probably only a year behind everyone else. Like 40 hours into it and only level 22 and I see missions recommending level 50 😲

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, bigmarc27 said:

Pretty decent bit in. Did you get the DLC?  I’d say it’s very worth having and I’d do it before you get a whole lot further.  

I got the complete edition from the ps store.  I guess that's in it?  How do I access the DLC parts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After very many tries I finally completed a legendary Ironman run on xcom 2: war of the chosen.

I half expected the government to knock down my door this morning and wisk me off to area 51 to prepare for a real alien invasion.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 3 hour lunch said:

Playing Assassins Creed Odyssey now- probably only a year behind everyone else. Like 40 hours into it and only level 22 and I see missions recommending level 50 😲

Don't sweat those missions. I remember seeing those thinking I would never get to them. Now after 200+ hours I finally hit level 99.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been playing Fallen Order finally. I'm not in love with it. Story seems awesome. Parkour parts are standard for an Uncharted, Tomb Raider type game. The combat is very dark soulsy where I have to parry exactly when I need to. Can't hold my guard up and can't be too late. It's pretty repetitive. Dungeons I like exploring but needing more skills to go to more places gets old. 

I'm playing it and I want to see more of the story but the game itself is just ok. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Insein said:

Been playing Fallen Order finally. I'm not in love with it. Story seems awesome. Parkour parts are standard for an Uncharted, Tomb Raider type game. The combat is very dark soulsy where I have to parry exactly when I need to. Can't hold my guard up and can't be too late. It's pretty repetitive. Dungeons I like exploring but needing more skills to go to more places gets old. 

I'm playing it and I want to see more of the story but the game itself is just ok. 

One thing I didnt like was that getting stuff in chests was boring.  All cosmetic stuff.  Could have done something more there.  

Same thing with all the lightsaber customization.   Ok I can change the way it looks.  But they should have added different stats and effects to the pieces.  Wasted opportunity. 

Overall i liked it but it's very rough around the edges.  Not to mention all the bugs and it seems unfinished. 

Edited by need2know
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, -arcK- said:

Don't sweat those missions. I remember seeing those thinking I would never get to them. Now after 200+ hours I finally hit level 99.

Not really worried about them since I’ll just let them sit there for now but didn’t realize the game would take quite so long. I’m more of a 1-2 game per year player. Awesome game even if I’ve died 100 times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, 3 hour lunch said:

Not really worried about them since I’ll just let them sit there for now but didn’t realize the game would take quite so long. I’m more of a 1-2 game per year player. Awesome game even if I’ve died 100 times.

Are you playing on hard?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, -arcK- said:

Are you playing on hard?

Nope, normal. Most of the dying has been from charging into fortresses of 20 guys; just can’t seem to get very far stealthily. I’ve gotten better though 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, 3 hour lunch said:

Nope, normal. Most of the dying has been from charging into fortresses of 20 guys; just can’t seem to get very far stealthily. I’ve gotten better though 

Oh I see. Yeah this game will punish you if you get overwhelmed by enemies. I specifically built for assassin damage, crit chance and crit damage, and used mostly assassin skills. Bad things will occasionally happen but sometimes I can mow down entire forts of 30+ guys without being spotted. I had a lot of practice with the previous game Origins so that helped a lot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Buddy Ball 2K3 said:

Currently playing "Darkest Dungeon"....😡🤬😠

Huge fan of this game.  I hope the sequel finds a way to be less of a grind in the late game while still maintaining the sense of progression and party-building.  On the other hand, I never really got bored with running dungeons for gold with disposable characters fresh off the stage coach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, IvanKaramazov said:

Huge fan of this game.  I hope the sequel finds a way to be less of a grind in the late game while still maintaining the sense of progression and party-building.  On the other hand, I never really got bored with running dungeons for gold with disposable characters fresh off the stage coach.

I have never felt more frustrated with a game in my life and in the same breath I can't get enough of it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally purchased a Seagate 2TB external HDD for my PS4 Pro.

WTF was I waiting for? Quality of life improvement big time. Now all my games are on the HDD with so much room to spare. 3TB total with my PS4 HDD. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, need2know said:

I got the complete edition from the ps store.  I guess that's in it?  How do I access the DLC parts?

Yeah it’s in there. Finding it would be luck without a guide. I think you let the invisible monster grab you outside the church. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Built a PC recently.  Haven't had a working desktop for years and enjoying some gaming there.  Keyboard/mouse is a lot more difficult than I remember so I'm probably in line for an xbox style controller.  Any recs?  

Enjoying Bloodstained: RotN.  Great metroidvania game.  Buddy wants me into PUBG and im not there yet.  Controls, mang.

Was intrigued recently by Darkest Dungeon.  Good to see it get love here and will probably pick it up.  Very disappointed that Sony is holding on dearly to Bloodborne.  Anyone try it on PS Now?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, munga30 said:

Built a PC recently.  Haven't had a working desktop for years and enjoying some gaming there.  Keyboard/mouse is a lot more difficult than I remember so I'm probably in line for an xbox style controller.  Any recs?  

 

Wow, this is the first time I've heard of someone liking a controller better than the mouse/keyboard when it comes to gaming.  The reason I prefer games on the pc is because of the precision of a mouse and the many things you can do with the keyboard, like mapping certain things..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Copeman said:

Wow, this is the first time I've heard of someone liking a controller better than the mouse/keyboard when it comes to gaming.  The reason I prefer games on the pc is because of the precision of a mouse and the many things you can do with the keyboard, like mapping certain things..

Ya I'm aware keyboard is generally better.  Just feeling my age (49) and reaching for what's comfortable.  I should prolly take on the challenge for the brain!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, munga30 said:

Ya I'm aware keyboard is generally better.  Just feeling my age (49) and reaching for what's comfortable.  I should prolly take on the challenge for the brain!

I hear ya.  I'm 47, grew up gaming with controllers, until I started pc gaming early 2000's.  I like them both, but prefer the pc by a wide margin, for any type of game.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, need2know said:

Been playing bloodborne for the first time.  Its great

It really is. It might be my favorite playthrough experience ever. It's basically a flawless masterpiece. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yo I'm going real old school to catch up on newer school. Currently playing Infamous 2 (PS3) :lmao:. I beat the first one like 4 years ago and I did like it, but it's hard to commit to last gen games for a few weeks to play a game when you're in the current gen era. But I want to beat that before I play Second Son on PS4.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Todem said:

Finally purchased a Seagate 2TB external HDD for my PS4 Pro.

WTF was I waiting for? Quality of life improvement big time. Now all my games are on the HDD with so much room to spare. 3TB total with my PS4 HDD. 

Is it an SSD? Because if you upgrade to an SSD, you’ll be even more blown away at how fast everything loads. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   1 member