What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Video games...what ya playing? And what are you looking forward to? (3 Viewers)

I am a civilization nerd, and have a little problem with emperor and can beat immortal some of the time. I have beaten most all of the recent civ's/expansions on the next to hardest difficult.

I can say with confidence that your early game build order sucks and you are not expanding fast enough.
I don't doubt that.  I just feel I don't know how to play this game anymore.  When I first started playing 20 years ago, I was decent.  Then after about 5 years, I found some mods that allowed you to do all sorts of things.  One being, become insanely powerful.  I started to have more fun just obliterating the CPU with the mods.  Then I haven't played in 13 years.  I feel like playing with those mods messed my game up. :lol:

I don't doubt that.  I just feel I don't know how to play this game anymore.  When I first started playing 20 years ago, I was decent.  Then after about 5 years, I found some mods that allowed you to do all sorts of things.  One being, become insanely powerful.  I started to have more fun just obliterating the CPU with the mods.  Then I haven't played in 13 years.  I feel like playing with those mods messed my game up. :lol:
I edited my previous post.

One more thing to add is you almost certainly are not creating/utilizing builders correctly. If there is a city that has a population of 5 you need to have 5-6 tiles improved. Not so many that you are wasting improved tiles, but with very few exceptions every tile that every city has should be improved.

Unpopular opinion...?

Bought a Switch for the family at Christmas. Bought Breath of the Wild for myself and the wife to play because the kids are too young for it. I'm really not enjoying it though. It is essentially the same type of game as Red Dead Redemption 2 which I played through last year. Except it's significantly dumbed down. Stupid cartoon characters who only grunt or squeek when talking to you, forcing you to read speech text instead of professional voice overs. That #### was ok in the 90s but I expect more from my games now. 
I get the comparison, in a way, but think it's off and you actually have the dumbed-downness flipped.  

RDR is a story driven game.  Zelda is NOT. 

In RDR you can shoot or stab enemies, that's about it.    In BOTW combat is incredibly open for you to be creative.  

Both are open world, but RDR is pretty linear in comparison.  People have beat Zelda in 30something minutes by going straight to the castle.  

i was cleaning out the basement and found an old box full of vintage games/systems. i have nes snes n64 & sega

some of these n64 games are selling for 50 bucks?!
Broke the NES out and have been going through some of the games I still have.  Dragon Warrior, Mega Man 2, Ducktales, RBI Baseball... so much fun.

Also have an old Sega and Intellivision.

Was visiting a friend in Minn last month and he took me here.  They gave me some tips on cleaning up old games.  My NES seems to be working better now.  Going to try and clean up my old Intellivision console and games.

https://machineshedmn.com/local-rochester-arcade/

RDR is a story driven game.  

In RDR you can shoot or stab enemies, that's about it.   
Not a huge gamer, and I am biased about RDR2 as the best game I've ever played (just a little better than Skyrim, IMO, as I've built a real connection with the main protagonist in RDR2 in a much more prominent way than with Skyrim's protagonist).

So to the first sentence I quoted above, absolutely a story-driven game. And it's exactly why this game has so much depth, why I feel so powerfully connected to the characters -- they are way more real in their interactions and arcs, way more complexity and nuance. That sentence reads as if a story-driven game is a bug, when it's absolutely the best feature of this game.

Totally disagree about the second. This game is so chock-full of stranger and side quests, challenges, chance encounters, passive minigames (though I wish they had Liar's Dice instead of or in addition to dominoes), and so many extraordinary things to happen upon -- deliberate points of interest and simply game-mechanic driven events (like a wolf deliberating whether to fight a bear or howling in mourning over the loss of a packmate, dynamic weather changes, each NPC having a full "life" during a 24-hour cycle, and so much more) -- that you can literally just free roam and not play the story at all and have an incredibly enriching and fun experience on that basis alone.

So yeah, I'm biased, maybe a little obsessed. 

But it's literally the best game I've ever played.

Not a huge gamer, and I am biased about RDR2 as the best game I've ever played (just a little better than Skyrim, IMO, as I've built a real connection with the main protagonist in RDR2 in a much more prominent way than with Skyrim's protagonist).

So to the first sentence I quoted above, absolutely a story-driven game. And it's exactly why this game has so much depth, why I feel so powerfully connected to the characters -- they are way more real in their interactions and arcs, way more complexity and nuance. That sentence reads as if a story-driven game is a bug, when it's absolutely the best feature of this game.

Totally disagree about the second. This game is so chock-full of stranger and side quests, challenges, chance encounters, passive minigames (though I wish they had Liar's Dice instead of or in addition to dominoes), and so many extraordinary things to happen upon -- deliberate points of interest and simply game-mechanic driven events (like a wolf deliberating whether to fight a bear or howling in mourning over the loss of a packmate, dynamic weather changes, each NPC having a full "life" during a 24-hour cycle, and so much more) -- that you can literally just free roam and not play the story at all and have an incredibly enriching and fun experience on that basis alone.

So yeah, I'm biased, maybe a little obsessed. 

But it's literally the best game I've ever played.
You can take most of what you say in the bolded paragraph and apply it to Zelda and it would be accurate.  Side quests, challenges, chance encounters, minigames, free roam ignoring the story.  All of that.  And like previously mentioned, combat is so open ended.  I can go in blazing with my weapon, take them out from a distance with arrows, use bombs, use magnesis or stasis to drop or fling boulders at them, set them on fire.  I can go on and on .   

RDR is an amazing game, and there is tons to discover and the attention to detail is crazy.  It just doesn't really do anything new.  Weapon wheel/dead eye, ride here/shoot that.  The controls and looting/skinning animations are clunky.  IDK if you played RDO at all, but that's where you notice that the most IMO, in a more competitive environment.  I can see loving one and not liking the other, but to call BotW "dumbed down" is a shallow take, IMO.  There's game play vids where they show the guy's hands in the corner because people are just like, "HTF did he do that???".  That's a level of depth in actual game-mechanics/physics engine that doesn't really exist much in RDR.

MLB The Show 20 drops tonight at midnight!!!  It is already downloaded to my PS4.  

Kinda sad I have the ability to WFH, would be nice to get some quarantine game time.  (Not really, but kinda...)

How much would be lost if you didn't play the first one?
I think you could go straight into two since it’s a prequel. The only thing you’d miss is that the protagonist in the first game is part of your gang in two, so you would experience his story instead of his backstory. 

Also for the record, I think RDR2 is overrated. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I liked it, I just didn’t love it. I think I’m just burnt out on open world games. The novelty of going anywhere and doing anything wore off on my awhile back. 
It's the only kind of game I like. The linear "repeat this 800 times until you mash the buttons in the exact order required" games are not for me

Poke_4_Life said:
MLB The Show 20 drops tonight at midnight!!!  It is already downloaded to my PS4.  

Kinda sad I have the ability to WFH, would be nice to get some quarantine game time.  (Not really, but kinda...)
That is a fantastic baseball game!!!   Imma buy 19 though, cause Im cheap

It's the only kind of game I like. The linear "repeat this 800 times until you mash the buttons in the exact order required" games are not for me
I’d like them better if I could go from mission A to B to C without 15 minutes of travel between each. 

Scoresman said:
You can take most of what you say in the bolded paragraph and apply it to Zelda and it would be accurate.  Side quests, challenges, chance encounters, minigames, free roam ignoring the story.  All of that.  And like previously mentioned, combat is so open ended.  I can go in blazing with my weapon, take them out from a distance with arrows, use bombs, use magnesis or stasis to drop or fling boulders at them, set them on fire.  I can go on and on .   
There is a reason why people think Zelda BotW is one of if not the best games ever made. I've never played it myself but it's on my list, especially having just gotten our sons a Switch. This kind of open world game looks right up my alley.

cockroach said:
RDR is an amazing game, and there is tons to discover and the attention to detail is crazy.  It just doesn't really do anything new.  Weapon wheel/dead eye, ride here/shoot that.  The controls and looting/skinning animations are clunky.  IDK if you played RDO at all, but that's where you notice that the most IMO, in a more competitive environment.  I can see loving one and not liking the other, but to call BotW "dumbed down" is a shallow take, IMO.  There's game play vids where they show the guy's hands in the corner because people are just like, "HTF did he do that???".  That's a level of depth in actual game-mechanics/physics engine that doesn't really exist much in RDR.
To be fair, the bolded part is nothing I ever said. Not sure if this was a generic statement you were trying to make, but my comments were solely about RDR2.

I've avoided RDO as I'm not a huge fan of multiplayer, and given the probs I've heard persisting in RDO -- lags, bugs, griefing, camps disappearing, etc. -- I am not sure it entices me at all despite loving the game so much. The reality/persistence of these issues is likely variable, but the whole notion of playing with others never interested me in any game. And if your point is that any clunky gameplay is worse in online, not sure that's an endorsement to try it.

As to clunky gameplay, there is some truth -- skinning could be faster, there are some quirks in terms of what weapons are autoloaded, the same button to interact can also be the same button to open fire -- but these instances, IMO, are limited and overall I think the gameplay and controls are really fluid and easily adapted to. I ride down the streets of St. Denis and know the right speed and control of my horse to avoid plowing through people. I don't mind the skinning animation as it adds a degree of reality -- skinning a bear takes longer than a beaver which takes longer than depositing a bird carcass in your satchel. It makes sense.

In terms of not adding anything new? Well, they are adding things like photo mode which is absolutely fantastic, and the sheer beauty and immersion of the game, and more non-linear progression (many more chance encounters, secrets, etc.) makes it head and shoulders better than RDR1 to me.

If you are referring to the fact that the controls are largely like RDR1, I am not sure they should be wildly different. What is the argument for totally changing game mechanics between different versions of the game? Did Rockstar do this in the GT franchise between games? Asking honestly as I don't know. All I know is what's there works for me, and doesn't detract from the sheer beauty and immersion of the game for me.

As to the argument I think you are making (let me know otherwise) that in BotW, there are some things a handful of gamers can do because of wicked hand-eye or skill level that most can't perform to get the same achievements, and as such the depth of the mechanics are better, I guess I'd say that what good is that if only a handful of peopel can do it? I'd much rather have a game that is challenging enough for everyone regardless of skill level, but accessible to everyone even if they aren't pro gamers or have that kind of "speed run" skill that I clearly don't have. That would actually be frustrating to me if my own skill limitations actually limits game play. 

DallasDMac said:
How much would be lost if you didn't play the first one?
To add to @bigmarc27's comments, you can absolutely play without having played RDR1 (or Red Dead Revolver, for that matter) first. RDR2 is set up as a prequel to RDR1, so in terms of linear temporal play you are not missing anything story-wise. RDR2 is an absolute standalone.

There are arguments that playing RDR1 first gives you better depth of knowledge and appreciation for some of the characters and their arcs as they are in both games, but there is just a valid argument that playing RDR2 first helps set up a better appreciation of these characters' backstory when playing RDR1.

I highly suggest you play both, but the order is totally up to you and does not matter.

As to the argument I think you are making (let me know otherwise) that in BotW, there are some things a handful of gamers can do because of wicked hand-eye or skill level that most can't perform to get the same achievements, and as such the depth of the mechanics are better, I guess I'd say that what good is that if only a handful of peopel can do it? I'd much rather have a game that is challenging enough for everyone regardless of skill level, but accessible to everyone even if they aren't pro gamers or have that kind of "speed run" skill that I clearly don't have. That would actually be frustrating to me if my own skill limitations actually limits game play. 
Ah, I didn't notice you weren't the OP that brought up the two games.  They're the one that said BOTW is dumbed down.  

To the part quoted, no, that's not how it is.   It's more like Rocket League in that anyone can play and have fun and achieve the objectives.  But there is a skill to the controls that lends itself to another level of mastery.  

I'd prob address some of your RDR points but I'm on mobile

Enjoying Ori and the Will of the Wisps.  The first game was outstanding.  This one has been just as great so far.  Even better that I didn't have to pay any extra for it, with it being on Xbox Game Pass.  But I would have gladly paid for it and probably will eventually.

Last edited by a moderator:
Enjoying Ori and the Will of the Wisps.  The first game was outstanding.  This one has been just as great so far.  Even better that I didn't have to pay any extra for it, with it being on Xbox Game Pass.  But I would have gladly paid for it and probably will eventually.
Loved he first game, but I’ll wait on this one. I just have so much of a backlog that unless there’s a multiplayer component, I see no need to play a game new. I’ll wait for the $5 ultra deluxe special edition sale in 2022. 

Put my first hour in to Days Gone today. The number of menu options is like wow, that's a lot of menus. Lots of cut scenes too. I'm sure those will slow as the game progresses. Doing lots of stealth killing. Poor eyesight may be my downfall. I miss a lot of tutorial stuff.

Put my first hour in to Days Gone today. The number of menu options is like wow, that's a lot of menus. Lots of cut scenes too. I'm sure those will slow as the game progresses. Doing lots of stealth killing. Poor eyesight may be my downfall. I miss a lot of tutorial stuff.
Good game

This game starts slow and takes a while to get going.  It's a much better game than it gets credit for.

Day's Gone question. I have saved several times using the pause menu early on. When I come  back later and reload, I am back to the beginning of the chapter, having lost all progress. An example:

Th early chapter where Deacon has to go get his bike back. Get there, chase the dude to the camp, turn in my bounties, save the game. Come back later and load that save. I am now back at the tower dropping off the other dude and have to do it all over again. 

Why is it letting me save if the save isn't, you know, saving anything? I don't get the purpose of the save function if it sends me back to the start of a chapter.

Day's Gone question. I have saved several times using the pause menu early on. When I come  back later and reload, I am back to the beginning of the chapter, having lost all progress. An example:

Th early chapter where Deacon has to go get his bike back. Get there, chase the dude to the camp, turn in my bounties, save the game. Come back later and load that save. I am now back at the tower dropping off the other dude and have to do it all over again. 

Why is it letting me save if the save isn't, you know, saving anything? I don't get the purpose of the save function if it sends me back to the start of a chapter.
If you are not on a mission the save works as expected IIRC. Once you are on a mission, though...

Dunno why they chose to do it that way but it's probably way easier to handle that way (for them)

First time Ive ever considered canceling my xbox live. I just don't play anymore and there isn't anything on the horizon Im interested in. I'd rather spend my game money on other toys. 

I'm not even sure I know who I am anymore. 

@Capella I highly recommend MLB The Show 20.  (Saw in the COVID-19 thread you were thinking of getting it, posted here because it will get buried in about 5 mins.)

I'm not even a big baseball fan, but MLBTS is always the best sports game and this year is no exception.  

I got a 'deluxe edition' and have been playing since Friday, but I believe the regular edition drops today.  There's tons to do in the game from Diamond Dynasty (like Ultimate Team) to Road to the Show, to Franchise mode, it's all great.  This year also introduced custom online franchise mode.  

Enjoy the quarantine.   

@Capella I highly recommend MLB The Show 20.  (Saw in the COVID-19 thread you were thinking of getting it, posted here because it will get buried in about 5 mins.)

I'm not even a big baseball fan, but MLBTS is always the best sports game and this year is no exception.  

I got a 'deluxe edition' and have been playing since Friday, but I believe the regular edition drops today.  There's tons to do in the game from Diamond Dynasty (like Ultimate Team) to Road to the Show, to Franchise mode, it's all great.  This year also introduced custom online franchise mode.  

Enjoy the quarantine.   
Great! Gonna download it today and play with the Rays. I bought nba 2k the other day and it just doesn’t work for me. Too clunky.  Thanks! 

Almost done with the main campaign in Spider-Man (PS4).. I have the three DLCs to go.  Lots of mindless beat-em-up fun to pass the time.  Definitely recommend if thats your thing.

Enjoy the quarantine.   
Considering this one.    I haven't had a baseball game in years.     Is there enough to do in non H2H modes?   

Considering this one.    I haven't had a baseball game in years.     Is there enough to do in non H2H modes?   
By 'non H2H' do you mean offline?  If that's the case then yes, definitely.  I barely play online, I just don't enjoy it.  CPU games are more fun to me.  75% of Diamond Dynasty can be played offline and the big programs can all be completed offline.  Road to the Show and Franchise are both offline as well, the online Franchise mode is new this year and did not change the classic franchise mode.  You can also relocate teams in franchise this year and change names/logos/etc.  

By 'non H2H' do you mean offline?  If that's the case then yes, definitely.  I barely play online, I just don't enjoy it.  CPU games are more fun to me.  75% of Diamond Dynasty can be played offline and the big programs can all be completed offline.  Road to the Show and Franchise are both offline as well, the online Franchise mode is new this year and did not change the classic franchise mode.  You can also relocate teams in franchise this year and change names/logos/etc.  
Is it better than last year?  I wasn't planning on getting it this year because it didn't look much different than last year.  I changed some rosters around so my Twins roster would look closer to this years roster, but with the possibility of not having baseball for who knows how long or any other sports for that matter and the possibility of being confined to my house  for an extended time has me itching to pick it up and play with "current rosters"

Is it better than last year?  I wasn't planning on getting it this year because it didn't look much different than last year.  I changed some rosters around so my Twins roster would look closer to this years roster, but with the possibility of not having baseball for who knows how long or any other sports for that matter and the possibility of being confined to my house  for an extended time has me itching to pick it up and play with "current rosters"
Not a ton of changes, but there's a few hitting tweaks the biggest of which is 'perfect' contact.  Those hits sound great and can either be grounders, line drives, or fly balls.  They also made some improvements to Road to the Show, the new system of perks last year wasn't optimal and it is supposed to be better this year.  Franchise changes largely include being able to move cities, change logos/names, and other non-gameplay updates.

I always try to buy the game just to support SDS, because as I said before I think MLBTS is by far the best sports video game.   

Just in case you have 15 minutes to kill, there is a demo out for Resident Evil 3.  It's very short, but the game looks fantastic.  This is going right to my day one list for some high-quality quarantine time.

Users who are viewing this thread