What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Video games...what ya playing? And what are you looking forward to? (10 Viewers)

I thought the controls were fine back in 2007-2008, but I suspect they haven’t aged real well. It was Bioware’s first attempt at trying to merge shooters and traditional RPGs. They found a much better balance in ME2/3. 
That's what I heard.  This was probably 2016 when I got it, so they felt really off.

I'm a big Star Wars fan, and trying to work my way through Jedi Fallen Order, and it turns out I just don't find it that entertaining. jump to this cliff, climb these vines, slide down some ice and then mistime your jump so you fly off into the abyss...ugh. even the combat (as a Jedi!) isn't that fun. if it wasn't SW, I probably would have dropped it already. am I doing it wrong?

AC Vahalla looks amazing. There have been rumors of a Viking game from AC ever since Black Flag. Finally brought back the homestead part where all missions start and end at your home "base". The Ship is mostly fast travel too Customize everything from your crew to yourself and your tats and Weapons. Best part of Weapons is you can keep the same ones from the start if you feel sentimental about a certain weapon. You can now Dual Shields as well. Very cool
Looking forward to this. Really enjoyed AC Odyssey. Saw they are making it smaller do to Odyssey being to bloated. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ign.com/articles/assassins-creed-valhalla-shorter-smaller-odyssey%3famp=1

I actually loved the combat in Mass Effect -- it was a cool blend of real-time and turn-based gameplay that really connected with me.  I'd pick this up for sure.
I loved it at the time too. A lot.

But I found I didn't enjoy it here in 2020 (I just tried playing ME2 back in Feb or so). By modern standards, the controls and mechanics are pretty clunky. If they improved those a little, I'd be in.

Looking forward to this. Really enjoyed AC Odyssey. Saw they are making it smaller do to Odyssey being to bloated. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ign.com/articles/assassins-creed-valhalla-shorter-smaller-odyssey%3famp=1
That's good to hear. I stopped Odyssesy because it was so bloated and became time consuming if you didn't have the fast tracks already. Heard they reworked the weapons systems and fighting and upgraded the AC ranking system in terms of leveling up. Very excited about the customizations (apparently you can chose your own tats as well), and happy to see the home base back. Today they went into more detail how you will need to make allies of other kings and Famous Vikings and their tribes as well. I'm not one to do this but depending on price I might if this game is a package for the PS5 go and get both when it comes out. This game has the potential to be one of the top AC games ever just based on what I've read and seen so far. 

I thought the controls were fine back in 2007-2008, but I suspect they haven’t aged real well. It was Bioware’s first attempt at trying to merge shooters and traditional RPGs. They found a much better balance in ME2/3. 
There's a trade-off, though.  ME2 removed a lot of the RPG elements that made the first Mass Effect worth playing (other than story, of course).  And then you have the Mako... which is hit/miss.  I hated the Mako, so I didn't mind it being gone after the first.  Mass Effect 1 was the better RPG.  Mass Effect 2/3 were the better shooters. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a big Star Wars fan, and trying to work my way through Jedi Fallen Order, and it turns out I just don't find it that entertaining. jump to this cliff, climb these vines, slide down some ice and then mistime your jump so you fly off into the abyss...ugh. even the combat (as a Jedi!) isn't that fun. if it wasn't SW, I probably would have dropped it already. am I doing it wrong?
This is disappointing. I almost picked this up because I keep hearing how the combat is similar to Dark Souls (albeit easier). 

There's a trade-off, though.  ME2 removed a lot of the RPG elements that made the first Mass Effect worth playing (other than story, of course).  And then you have the Mako... which is hit/miss.  I hated the Mako, so I didn't mind it being gone after the first.  Mass Effect 1 was the better RPG.  Mass Effect 2/3 were the better shooters. 
I only played the second one so the heavier RPG elements is one of the biggest reasons I’ve always wanted to go back and try ME1. The mako is why I haven’t. 

I only played the second one so the heavier RPG elements is one of the biggest reasons I’ve always wanted to go back and try ME1. The mako is why I haven’t. 
I didn't love the planet exploration either, but I felt you could avoid an excessive amount of it if it's not your thing.  Most of the extensive Mako use is either in side quests or optional exploration, probably only a couple missions where Mako is 100% required.  I think most people really got annoyed when they were trying to search every planet to find the extras that gave you some cash and XP, and trying to maneuver it through the complex landscapes.  If you just wanted to cruise to main objectives you need, it wasn't too bad.

I didn't love the planet exploration either, but I felt you could avoid an excessive amount of it if it's not your thing.  Most of the extensive Mako use is either in side quests or optional exploration, probably only a couple missions where Mako is 100% required.  I think most people really got annoyed when they were trying to search every planet to find the extras that gave you some cash and XP, and trying to maneuver it through the complex landscapes.  If you just wanted to cruise to main objectives you need, it wasn't too bad.
Thanks. I was under the impression it was an every planet required thing. 

I sorta lied in my last post. I forgot I played ME1 but gave up on the first mako mission. 

They released a very short clip of next-gen Madden and it's indistinguishable from any of the last three Madden titles :lol:

Not a surprise at all but they're just sticking with this broken architecture they've been building on top of for a decade. 

Again, no one should be surprised by this.

But it's made WORSE by the fact that Microsoft is now pushing this "all our games can be played on next gen AND this gen interchangeably!" crap. That's going to severely limit a lot of the 3rd party AAA games that come to both consoles as those games by definition won't be able to fully take advantage of the new technology and powerful computing abilities outside of more generic improvements to the next-gen versions like load times etc. From the foundation up (with more complex things like enemy/oppenent AI etc.) those games will have to run on old tech first, and then be upscaled on the newer consoles essentially. They won't be building two separate versions of these multi-platform or Microsoft exclusive games, so the new ones at some level will always be held back.

I get that the new XBOX is stealing the spotlight right now but given that this is the Microsoft plan moving forward, how are PlayStation exclusives NOT gonna pull far ahead by the end of this next generation? 8 years from now XBOX and multi-platform games are still gonna be hamstrung by 15 year old tech from this current gen that's ending, having to run on both (and on whatever incrementally improved consoles they release in 3-4 years). That seems...ill advised.

They released a very short clip of next-gen Madden and it's indistinguishable from any of the last three Madden titles :lol:

Not a surprise at all but they're just sticking with this broken architecture they've been building on top of for a decade. 

Again, no one should be surprised by this.

But it's made WORSE by the fact that Microsoft is now pushing this "all our games can be played on next gen AND this gen interchangeably!" crap. That's going to severely limit a lot of the 3rd party AAA games that come to both consoles as those games by definition won't be able to fully take advantage of the new technology and powerful computing abilities outside of more generic improvements to the next-gen versions like load times etc. From the foundation up (with more complex things like enemy/oppenent AI etc.) those games will have to run on old tech first, and then be upscaled on the newer consoles essentially. They won't be building two separate versions of these multi-platform or Microsoft exclusive games, so the new ones at some level will always be held back.

I get that the new XBOX is stealing the spotlight right now but given that this is the Microsoft plan moving forward, how are PlayStation exclusives NOT gonna pull far ahead by the end of this next generation? 8 years from now XBOX and multi-platform games are still gonna be hamstrung by 15 year old tech from this current gen that's ending, having to run on both (and on whatever incrementally improved consoles they release in 3-4 years). That seems...ill advised.
I just told the wife yesterday that I’m going to cancel my Xbox live subscription that’s like 15 years old. 

Ive been a lifelong gamer. I’ve probably played more games on more systems and computers than anyone here and likely more than 98% of gamers in the world. Thousands of games at this point. 

Ive said this before but due to the technology outpacing the development, coupled with the insane costs to develop  games- it’s too difficult to make games with any more depth than what we’ve what we’ve already experienced. 

Unless there is some type of major innovation I will be skipping the next gen systems for the first time in my life. The games will all be exactly the same albeit having better graphics and more moving parts on the screen but the core of the games will be just as shallow as ever. 

I bought The Last of Us remastered for my ps4 to replay it. I have it for PS3 but $15 for better graphics and the DLC (which I haven’t played) seemed worth it. I want to go through it again before the sequel comes out. 

WARNING: I searched for the Last of Us when buying this and I somehow ran across an article with a spoiler on my search feed for the sequel. It’s not a huge one, but they’re apparently everywhere right now. Basically don’t search that game at all under any circumstance. 

Dipping my toes back in after a 10 plus year hiatus without a system with time during COVID-19. Bought an Xbox One X and COD:MW, NBA 2K20, and the EA Access for Madden 20 and FIFA19. I am really, really bad and it’s not coming back fast :bag: , to the point of being frustrating. I’m just gonna read and drill until I get my feet back under me, EA games I feel are good at this with the stills trainers. Anyone go back after a really long break and totally stink for awhile? Hope it’s just rust.

Seeing reports of a Mass Effect Trilogy HD remaster coming before April 2021.  Not sure how much it would improve the later games, but I'd probably still buy this right away...
If they could change all the combat systems to Andromeda, that could bring the games up to modern standards. I'm worried they're going to mess with the story though. I'm hoping it's just a remaster and not a remake. 

If they could change all the combat systems to Andromeda, that could bring the games up to modern standards. I'm worried they're going to mess with the story though. I'm hoping it's just a remaster and not a remake. 
You wouldn’t want them to change the last few hours of story?  I’m down to replay if they update the games, and I’d take some story changes on the back end as well. I’m still not full sure I understand it to this day, it’s been awhile though. 

You wouldn’t want them to change the last few hours of story?  I’m down to replay if they update the games, and I’d take some story changes on the back end as well. I’m still not full sure I understand it to this day, it’s been awhile though. 
No I'd be good if they had the extended cut ending. Maybe use the remaster time to expand upon it a little more instead of a slideshow.

No I agree. The combat feels like Dark Souls lite. Especially since saving progress means all the enemies in an area respawn. I'm not a fan of the hack and slash endless fighting. The story seems really cool though so I want to finish it but the gameplay is just ok to me. I know a lot of people love it. I'm used to the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight series where it's a combo of guns and lightsaber combat. Not having a ranged attack really sucks sometimes. 

I loved it at the time too. A lot.

But I found I didn't enjoy it here in 2020 (I just tried playing ME2 back in Feb or so). By modern standards, the controls and mechanics are pretty clunky. If they improved those a little, I'd be in.
The main problem with ME2 combat is the health system. You have no health packs. You have to take cover to heal and on the higher difficulties, that means a long, boring fight hiding most of the time. 

I also realize I may be underselling it.  I keep remembering more main missions when you had to use it for more extensive times...
You have to use the Mako on the main missions but the path is usually straight forward and you can drive right past enemies if you want to. 

On Therum to get Liara. On Feros on the sky highway. On Noveria, driving up to Peak 15. On Virmire, approaching the clone lab. On Ilos, escaping to the mini mass relay. All in total about 15-20 minutes of driving if you just blow past all the enemies. 

For each of the planet exploration, you can look up the maps online to see exactly where each item is to help avoid driving around blindly looking for things. Still, that's where most of the annoyance comes in. The terrain is not very forgiving on some of the planets.

@STEADYMOBBIN 22

bigmarc27 said:
I bought The Last of Us remastered for my ps4 to replay it. I have it for PS3 but $15 for better graphics and the DLC (which I haven’t played) seemed worth it. I want to go through it again before the sequel comes out. 

WARNING: I searched for the Last of Us when buying this and I somehow ran across an article with a spoiler on my search feed for the sequel. It’s not a huge one, but they’re apparently everywhere right now. Basically don’t search that game at all under any circumstance. 

Or do and save yourself $60. What they did was a joke. 

I mean not knowing what happens, I guess I don’t understand this...

Did you enjoy the first game?  I don’t really understand what could be so ridiculous about it.
I won't say the leaks but I've read what they make you do. You get no choice in the matter on what happens. 

The Xbox is just a customized PC. Currently my launch day Xbox One runs Forza Horizon 4 great, but it's stunning on an Xbox One X as that machine is magnitudes quicker than mine, and leverages better textures for the game among other things. The XSeriesX will be more of the same, at least for now. At some point, new games simply will not play on my OG Xbox One, simple as that. They'll have to have a minimum requirement listed for games within the ecosystem. And at some point, attrition will take care of the really old hardware like mine so it's not a big deal. There won't be anything holding back first party games on the Xbox.

The Xbox is just a customized PC. Currently my launch day Xbox One runs Forza Horizon 4 great, but it's stunning on an Xbox One X as that machine is magnitudes quicker than mine, and leverages better textures for the game among other things. The XSeriesX will be more of the same, at least for now. At some point, new games simply will not play on my OG Xbox One, simple as that. They'll have to have a minimum requirement listed for games within the ecosystem. And at some point, attrition will take care of the really old hardware like mine so it's not a big deal. There won't be anything holding back first party games on the Xbox.
Eventually I think they’ll just make the systems that have areas that can be upgraded, like a PC for beginners. An easy to access graphics card where you can get to it without even taking the casing off, just like a flip door.  Then the Xbox approved new card comes out, you open and insert. 

I mean not knowing what happens, I guess I don’t understand this...

Did you enjoy the first game?  I don’t really understand what could be so ridiculous about it.
The first game was awesome.

They should have left this as a one-and-done, since the story has a clear, well-written ending and there was no need for a sequel.  Or if they wanted to do a Part II, do a whole new story with a new group of characters.  The actual sequel sounds like bad fan-fiction that somebody pulled from Reddit.

Mlb the show 20 is the best baseball game I've ever played and I've played them all. They fixed every little thing I didn't like about the game and I can actually hit FINALLY!
When you are in Road to the Show how do you accurately throw a ball? I am SS and when I get a ball I hit first base button. A target comes up at first base and I have yet to throw a ball that the first baseman catches for an out. I have an error every time. Not sure what is more annoying, the fact I can not make a defensive play or that I am still on the team regardless.

Is there any way to delete previous attempts to Road to the Show?

Why does the tutorial not have and explain this target I get when attempting to make a play? 

When you are in Road to the Show how do you accurately throw a ball? I am SS and when I get a ball I hit first base button. A target comes up at first base and I have yet to throw a ball that the first baseman catches for an out. I have an error every time. Not sure what is more annoying, the fact I can not make a defensive play or that I am still on the team regardless.

Is there any way to delete previous attempts to Road to the Show?

Why does the tutorial not have and explain this target I get when attempting to make a play? 
Are you moving the right stick into the target area before completing the throw?  Look in settings there may be a setting for turning off defensive plays in RTTS.

In looking at upcoming games, nothing is really catching my eye, and one I was looking forward to (Wasteland 3) is postponed (as I suspect many upcoming games will be).

So I dove back into Elder Scrolls Online. This time, fully embracing the long-term mindset needed for a big MMO. I even bought the sub for a year, as I'm starting to get into crafting, and the sub is kind of a must for that in terms of inventory space (the crafting bag you get with it is the biggest quality of life upgrade in the game). The sub also unlocks all DLC, plus all of the previous years "chapter" releases (Morrowind and Somerset now, with Elsewhere coming as soon as the new one drops next month). So if you like the game and plan to spend time there, it's worth it. 

I'm having an absolute blast. I play solo 90% of the time (one reason I like this game - it's super solo-play friendly). But even solo-playing, this game is so big, so much stuff to do, so many places to explore, and so many ways to build your character(s). I can see I'll be with this one all spring/summer.

Good video on what the game is like in 2020

Are you moving the right stick into the target area before completing the throw?  Look in settings there may be a setting for turning off defensive plays in RTTS.
Yes but I can not tell if I need to do more than be in the target area? I get the cursor in the area and ball is thrown when time runs out. I have never successfully completed this throw. Since I can not find a tutorial I have to keep playing and hope the scenario comes up which is not often enough for me to get it. I can't tell if I have to hit something to release the ball or if waiting for timer to run out is the right thing? In the mini mode section where you can choose how to do fielding I have picked the one where you hit the button for base you want to throw to and release when in green but this does not happen in Road to the Show?

Kind of frustrating. I picked short stop as I thought that would be more fun but I am thinking of switching to outfield.

Yes but I can not tell if I need to do more than be in the target area? I get the cursor in the area and ball is thrown when time runs out. I have never successfully completed this throw. Since I can not find a tutorial I have to keep playing and hope the scenario comes up which is not often enough for me to get it. I can't tell if I have to hit something to release the ball or if waiting for timer to run out is the right thing? In the mini mode section where you can choose how to do fielding I have picked the one where you hit the button for base you want to throw to and release when in green but this does not happen in Road to the Show?

Kind of frustrating. I picked short stop as I thought that would be more fun but I am thinking of switching to outfield.
Look at this video at about 2:15.  That's how you do the throw.  I can't seem to find throwing tutorials.  

Either that or like someone else said, change the settings.  You should be able to change the setting so you just hold down the first base button.  There's also an option where you hold down the button and it gives a gauge that moves similar to pitching.

Look at this video at about 2:15.  That's how you do the throw.  I can't seem to find throwing tutorials.  

Either that or like someone else said, change the settings.  You should be able to change the setting so you just hold down the first base button.  There's also an option where you hold down the button and it gives a gauge that moves similar to pitching.
That video does not look like mine. I get that target but its more of a dart board look? I did try to change to the throwing with a gauge as you mention but it did not change it? I am thinking Road to the Show has its own thing going on and can't be changed?

* Probably an old guy complaint but what is the deal with selling games and giving no instructions? This is one of the reasons I stopped playing games in the past. I would get really annoyed when I could not figure something out but there was no instructions. Now that is just standard.

I am running into this with Spiderman. Even worse is when I go to you tube and there is some kid showing you how to do things and he even says no one will tell you this but if you........... WTF? just give me the directions, game play should not be a mystery.

Dipping my toes back in after a 10 plus year hiatus without a system with time during COVID-19. Bought an Xbox One X and COD:MW, NBA 2K20, and the EA Access for Madden 20 and FIFA19. I am really, really bad and it’s not coming back fast :bag: , to the point of being frustrating. I’m just gonna read and drill until I get my feet back under me, EA games I feel are good at this with the stills trainers. Anyone go back after a really long break and totally stink for awhile? Hope it’s just rust.
Your reflexes are shot.  Hang em up gramps. 

This is disappointing. I almost picked this up because I keep hearing how the combat is similar to Dark Souls (albeit easier). 
well, let me say that it looks amazing. they really captured the Star Wars vibe, and the environments are beautiful. and blocking blaster bolts with your lightsaber, and sending them back at the shooter is wildly satisfying.

but for me, there are 2 things that don't really hit. first, I guess maybe I'm not a huge fan of jump puzzles. it's a lot of jumping from one ledge to another, swinging on a vine, scaling a wall, etc. I can deal with some of that, but that is literally all that this is, other than the combat. so second, the combat is pretty frustrating. I hear a lot of people compare it to Dark Souls, so if you like that, then maybe you would like this. I've never played DS, but if this is what it's like, I'll pass. the whole experience is about blocking and parrying, and if you don't get it right, a swamp rat or insect can take half of your health in one bite. or maybe a goat knocks you off a cliff. and if you're fighting multiple enemies, the camera is pretty wonky. it's cool to have the lightsaber, but it's just not very satisfying to me.

I may keep playing it to finish out the story, and I know some people really like it, but I think once I finish it I won't ever be tempted to play it again.

I miss college sports games.  I'm hoping that when the NCAA agreed to pay the players for the use of their name and image that would mean we can get NCAA video games back.  I think it will be implemented in 2021, so they probably won't have any new college games until after that.  That's a long wait, but as long as we get our football and basketball back it's worth it.

Sadly, the NCAA basketball game never sold enough to be worth it. (Even thought college hoops 2k8 is one of the best sports games ever) I can't imagine it makes it back.

Maybe football, but I'd be surprised

In looking at upcoming games, nothing is really catching my eye, and one I was looking forward to (Wasteland 3) is postponed (as I suspect many upcoming games will be).

So I dove back into Elder Scrolls Online. This time, fully embracing the long-term mindset needed for a big MMO. I even bought the sub for a year, as I'm starting to get into crafting, and the sub is kind of a must for that in terms of inventory space (the crafting bag you get with it is the biggest quality of life upgrade in the game). The sub also unlocks all DLC, plus all of the previous years "chapter" releases (Morrowind and Somerset now, with Elsewhere coming as soon as the new one drops next month). So if you like the game and plan to spend time there, it's worth it. 

I'm having an absolute blast. I play solo 90% of the time (one reason I like this game - it's super solo-play friendly). But even solo-playing, this game is so big, so much stuff to do, so many places to explore, and so many ways to build your character(s). I can see I'll be with this one all spring/summer.

Good video on what the game is like in 2020
I may have to get back into this. I dabbled a bit (like just a few hours) in ESO on my Xbox maybe 9 months ago. It's good to hear it's solo friendly, as I'm definitely a solo player (hate Destiny and won't even bother trying Fallout 76). 

I went into settings after I was in RTTS and was able to change it. I can now just hit a button and my guy will throw to corresponding base. 

Game is much more fun now. I am not sure I understand how to start a relationship. Does it just happen or do I need to do something? Right now I am just playing games and following the prompts.

Users who are viewing this thread