What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Video games...what ya playing? And what are you looking forward to? (8 Viewers)

Was Last of Us 2 great story-wise? I expect the visuals would be top-notch but I have heard the actual story rubbed a lot of long time fans the wrong way.
I for 1 really loved the story. I know they so call diehards hated it, but from a person looking at all perspectives it was incredible to me. Well worth the purchase.

I'm about 20 hours or so into Ghost of Tsushima, and I can definitely give this one an enthusiastic thumbs-up.  This is a title that I was never especially looking forward to, for two reasons.  First, I've never really connected with feudal Japan as a video game setting.  Nothing against it, but it's just culturally alien enough for me that I find it kind of a mild turnoff.  Second, I am burned out on the Ubisoft model of open world game development.  This is Sucker Punch, not Ubisoft, but they follow the same model -- travel around the map erasing the "fog of war," liberate bases from the enemy, collect materials to upgrade your stuff, gain XP to unlock new abilities, side quests, collectables, hamster wheel, etc.  If there were other major releases right now, I probably would have passed on this one, but I picked it up because there's really not much to play at the moment.

While the similarities to Assassins Creed and Far Cry are pretty obvious, Ghost is a far better game than either of those.  Melee combat and stealth are both very well done and integrated nicely into the gameplay.  The various plot lines are good so far, and the graphics looks next-gen.  This game also has some really nice quality of life touches, like a minimized HUD and lightning-fast load times.  Coming from GTA5, which in the Year of Our Lord 2020 still takes like 45 minutes to load, it's awesome to play a game where you barely even have a chance to read the little tips on the loading screen before play resumes.  

I still would have preferred inFamous 4 instead, but Ghost is a good one too.
Whats the gist of the story to this game? I'm hesitant to try it. 

I tried GTA5 online and just can't. I thought the heist missions and all would be you know actual missions. Not some shoot em up deathmatch type thing with a team that seems to take forever to complete. Maybe I'm doing it all wrong but it was incredible boring after an hour and yes the load times to that game are ungodly awful. For such a good campaign mode the game lacks in other areas. 

somewhat off topic...

Grew up playing Atari 2600 and then NES/SNES/Genesis then on to PS2 which was my last system. Want to get a PS4 (Pro?) and thought there would be good deals with the PS5 coming out. So far though I haven't seen much.

Shouldn't we be seeing the PS4 drop quite a bit in price pretty soon? Best place to shop/buy a new PS4?

Thanks.

EA Madden just released their Yard Mode trailer. It looks interesting and it's not realistic so I see it similar o NFL Blitz/Street modes. I like the idea and you can play in different venues and create your own avatar. If it's similar to FIFA's VOLTA mode it's a good start on a new interesting mode. 

somewhat off topic...

Grew up playing Atari 2600 and then NES/SNES/Genesis then on to PS2 which was my last system. Want to get a PS4 (Pro?) and thought there would be good deals with the PS5 coming out. So far though I haven't seen much.

Shouldn't we be seeing the PS4 drop quite a bit in price pretty soon? Best place to shop/buy a new PS4?

Thanks.
Won't see any price drops till the first few months the PS5 is out. Best Buy and Gamestop will have the best deals convince wise. However given how good of a system PS4 is you may not see big price drops. I was thinking about getting an xbox360 older version when the newest one came out and the prices didn't drop for months after the latest came out. 

Whats the gist of the story to this game? I'm hesitant to try it. 
You're a samurai on the island of Tsushima.  The island has been invaded by the Mongols.  (Apparently, this actually happened).  You have to recruit allies to help you repel the Mongols.  Your character is conflicted because he's a samurai so he's supposed to be all "Come fight me, you #####es" but he's frequently forced to rely on cowardly stealth approaches instead.

Obviously this is a simplification and there are some pretty good stories associated with the main character's relationships with other folks, but you get the idea.

You're a samurai on the island of Tsushima.  The island has been invaded by the Mongols.  (Apparently, this actually happened).  You have to recruit allies to help you repel the Mongols.  Your character is conflicted because he's a samurai so he's supposed to be all "Come fight me, you #####es" but he's frequently forced to rely on cowardly stealth approaches instead.

Obviously this is a simplification and there are some pretty good stories associated with the main character's relationships with other folks, but you get the idea.
So hes an uncool version of Kiyru from the Yakuzza series? 

What are the odds of putting 4 FBGs together with enough gaming time in the next week or two to run some Left 4 Dead campaigns?  

@Copeman?

Last edited by a moderator:
So I managed to make $568 after taxes for my week as manager pay. That was with 2.5hrs of OT where I made time and a half on top of regular manager pay. I have direct deposit so I might just transfer that into my Savings. And then put some of my extra money from taxes and relief fund into that. I'm curious if we get another Supplement pay before NOV which isn't looking as likely. I might depending the amount and when I get it throw half of that into the system and then maybe suck it up and go with a 4K TV possible. 

Not something I'd buy (I can't even competently fly a jet in a Battlefield game) but man does Microsoft flight simulator look impressive. Just a pretty amazing technical achievement.

I'm about 20 hours or so into Ghost of Tsushima, and I can definitely give this one an enthusiastic thumbs-up.  This is a title that I was never especially looking forward to, for two reasons.  First, I've never really connected with feudal Japan as a video game setting.  Nothing against it, but it's just culturally alien enough for me that I find it kind of a mild turnoff.  Second, I am burned out on the Ubisoft model of open world game development.  This is Sucker Punch, not Ubisoft, but they follow the same model -- travel around the map erasing the "fog of war," liberate bases from the enemy, collect materials to upgrade your stuff, gain XP to unlock new abilities, side quests, collectables, hamster wheel, etc.  If there were other major releases right now, I probably would have passed on this one, but I picked it up because there's really not much to play at the moment.

While the similarities to Assassins Creed and Far Cry are pretty obvious, Ghost is a far better game than either of those.  Melee combat and stealth are both very well done and integrated nicely into the gameplay.  The various plot lines are good so far, and the graphics looks next-gen.  This game also has some really nice quality of life touches, like a minimized HUD and lightning-fast load times.  Coming from GTA5, which in the Year of Our Lord 2020 still takes like 45 minutes to load, it's awesome to play a game where you barely even have a chance to read the little tips on the loading screen before play resumes.  

I feel the same way. I'm in my 40s and have been playing video games for 30-some years, but these days I tend to stick to only major releases. I'd barely heard of this game before its release. I'd just finished Last of Us 2 and figured Ghost would kill some time before the NFL started (fingers crossed). I'm loving Ghost as much as TLOU2. Completely different feel, of course, but hugely entertaining. A lot of times, I'm a button-masher when it comes to melee, but Ghost does this really well (especially when you upgrade so that the block button automatically fends off incoming arrows). The side missions are a bit overwhelming, but it seems that most of them actually improve your stats instead of just collecting useless stuff. I love games where you could play for days just doing side missions and still have fun. Like Ivan said, the load times are ridiculously fast, and the game constantly autosaves, so if you die or want to reload, it puts almost right back where you left off, very little backtracking. I'm really surprised how much I'm enjoying this one.

Just started playing Warzone this week.  Never bought it before, but a good buddy of mine who is a CPU gamer started playing, and it is one game we can actually play together.

We played some duos one night and it was a load of fun.  We made one top ten finish, but we both just started, so we are well behind the curve.

I have been playing MP to get my guns up.  The game play is about the same as it has always been, but I like the new level up mechanics for the guns.  A multitude of different attachments and large number of levels to go up, vs just 15 levels with the prestige option.

Having fun so far, but not interested in teaming up in Warzone yet, as a noob I didn't like being the dead weight of just our two team party.  If you're desperate for a fourth and don't expect much, I'm NittanyDodger.
Started Days Gone a week or so back and really been playing that mostly. Just added @TLEF316. Is NittanyDodger your PSN or Activision ID? I tried adding you under PSN but said sending failed. 

Was excited by it at first but I've fizzled a little, banging my head against a couple of spots.  Will probably pick it back up soon.  
If you're stuck on any particular part I could maybe point you in the right direction without spoiling anything.  It is basically a lot of the same thing over and over - wake up, follow some clues, explore something new, figure something out, die, repeat - and if the game had been a lot longer I think I would've fizzled out on it too.  Given the size of the universe and the fact that I pretty much uncovered something new on just about every run through I never really got tired of it though, and ultimately it all fit together nicely I thought. 

somewhat off topic...

Thanks.
I think you will be able to get a great deal on a PS4 Pro 1 TB when black friday rolls around as well as cyber Monday on Amazon/target/Walmart etc. Just sit tight. With the PS5 being the console to get for Christmas.....they will start blowing out those PS4 Pros as an alternative.

I think you will be able to get a great deal on a PS4 Pro 1 TB when black friday rolls around as well as cyber Monday on Amazon/target/Walmart etc. Just sit tight. With the PS5 being the console to get for Christmas.....they will start blowing out those PS4 Pros as an alternative.
Yeah. I got a ps4 pro with a game for $200 last black Friday. Picked this https://www.ps4storage.com/seagate-firecuda-sshd-review/ up for $50 at the same time. Now it wont be a ps5  but it's a nice gaming machine. 

So I havent seen much chatter in here about the new systems. Ive tried looking on youtube but it's no better than in 2006 or whenever that was....

Xbox are saying the series X is the most powerful thing in the galaxy.

Sony fanboys seem helbent on saying how the xbox doesnt look good and is crap. 

I can't seem to get an unbiased review. I'll be sitting out the first few months at least. Likely pick up a xbox x and give it to my daughter for christmas. 

I’m going with a PS5 primarily because my ps4 has been an effing tank. It has been used for DVDs, games, streaming, etc for hours a day since they came out. It’s like a refrigerator from the 50s. I think I went through 3 or 4 Xbox 360s while that generation was out. 

So I havent seen much chatter in here about the new systems. Ive tried looking on youtube but it's no better than in 2006 or whenever that was....

I can't seem to get an unbiased review. I'll be sitting out the first few months at least. Likely pick up a xbox x and give it to my daughter for christmas. 
Seems like the companies are trying to do totally different things. I think spec-wise the PS5 is more powerful, faster, etc. Microsoft is prioritizing selling Game Pass subscriptions over everything else. Sony wants to sell the most consoles and will probably have the best exclusives. Just kinda depends on what you want. 

Moe. said:
Seems like the companies are trying to do totally different things. I think spec-wise the PS5 is more powerful, faster, etc. Microsoft is prioritizing selling Game Pass subscriptions over everything else. Sony wants to sell the most consoles and will probably have the best exclusives. Just kinda depends on what you want. 
The PS5 supposedly has a faster hard drive, but otherwise the Xbox has more processing power on paper. Otherwise I think you’re right. Xbox is also going to announce a budget, scaled down version (Series S, I think). 

Don't know how I missed this great game from a couple years ago

Prey

Wow its good
Sci-Fi horror seems to be a niche genre these days. I really enjoyed Prey as well.

Dead Space Series, Alien Isolation, Prey......love these types of games.

Sci-Fi horror seems to be a nice genre these days. I really enjoyed Prey as well.

Dead Space Series, Alien Isolation, Prey......love these types of games.
Yeah loved some dead space.   Not so much alien isolation it would be a distant third for me just counting the ones you listed

Buy yeah survival horror in space works really well

Finished TLOU2 last night.  

I cried a lot during that game.   There were moments where I emotionally so hated what was going on, or what I thought was going to happen that I threw my controller down and said, "no no no no... I'm not going to do that".   

Fastastic, soul crushing, story telling.  

If this game doesn't help you appreciate your life and the people around you more, nothing will. 

Great time in history for this to be released.   Masterpiece.  

The only stealth kills I've done are the ones you HAVE to do as part of the story.  I'm going full samurai on this one!

Loving the game so far (I'm in act 2).  I normally get very bored with these mapf$#@ games but I'm really enjoying this one.  In addition to being a very fun combat system, the game is stunningly gorgeous.  Ghost is easily my GOTY.

Edited to add:
My wife always seems to walk in right when I'm getting into a hotspring.  She was like WTF the first few times but eventually started playing the game herself and realized what it was.

Liked the show and reading the books, was pleasantly surprised to see The Witcher 3 on Xbox Game Pass so I downloaded it (never played any of the prior games.) Enjoying it quite a bit but OMG, the loading screens though... just constant few lines of dialogue, respond, wait for a load screen, repeat. Does that ever get better?

I saw it available on Steam for cheap, I assume the load times are a lot better on PC?

It's not.

Got all the trophies in Ghost of tsushima.

First time I ever did that or even come close.  I did not complete 100% in game but completed all the  🏆 tasks.   Still was a slog

Finished TLOU2 last night.  

I cried a lot during that game.   There were moments where I emotionally so hated what was going on, or what I thought was going to happen that I threw my controller down and said, "no no no no... I'm not going to do that".   

Fastastic, soul crushing, story telling.  

If this game doesn't help you appreciate your life and the people around you more, nothing will. 

Great time in history for this to be released.   Masterpiece.  
Trying to avoid spoilers, but, during the last fight, I died because I refused to do what the game was asking me to do. (Hopefully that's specific enough for those to played the game to understand.) I've never had that happen in 40 years of playing video games. I knew exactly what needed to be done, and my brain was basically like, "No, this is wrong," and stopped me from doing it, and my character died. Of course, I wanted to finish the game (and what I thought was going to happen didn't actually occur), so I completed the task the second time, but there was an attachment to the characters that I haven't had in another game. It was pretty remarkable. 

Trying to avoid spoilers, but, during the last fight, I died because I refused to do what the game was asking me to do. (Hopefully that's specific enough for those to played the game to understand.) I've never had that happen in 40 years of playing video games. I knew exactly what needed to be done, and my brain was basically like, "No, this is wrong," and stopped me from doing it, and my character died. Of course, I wanted to finish the game (and what I thought was going to happen didn't actually occur), so I completed the task the second time, but there was an attachment to the characters that I haven't had in another game. It was pretty remarkable. 

Yup!  That's the part I was talking about.  Gut wrenching.  

I enjoyed the first one but really thought the ending lacked a punch and was disappointed that Joel didn't die.  Well, the way they used that event to tell more aspects of the story and humanize the "enemy" and give us a that emotional ride is just brilliant. 

From everything I've read, spec-wise they're fairly similar, except Xbox has a little better graphics capability, and PS has superior hard drive performance. Industry observers think the hard drive difference will be a game changer, while there is concern that it will be difficult for devs to take full advantage of Xbox specs because of Microsoft's vision of making new games work across their whole ecosystem. Like you say-  it's difficult to get an unbiased viewpoint, which is why I've been listening to chatter from the devs with actual hands-on experience on both of the new devkits. They haven't been extremely forthcoming but you can still get a sense where their excitement is.

I will likely get both at some point, but I'll go with PS5 first. Everything I've read about that hard drive speed sways me.

From everything I've read, spec-wise they're fairly similar, except Xbox has a little better graphics capability, and PS has superior hard drive performance. Industry observers think the hard drive difference will be a game changer, while there is concern that it will be difficult for devs to take full advantage of Xbox specs because of Microsoft's vision of making new games work across their whole ecosystem. Like you say-  it's difficult to get an unbiased viewpoint, which is why I've been listening to chatter from the devs with actual hands-on experience on both of the new devkits. They haven't been extremely forthcoming but you can still get a sense where their excitement is.

I will likely get both at some point, but I'll go with PS5 first. Everything I've read about that hard drive speed sways me.
Interesting. Does that hard drive speed translate to faster load times?  Little to no load times would indeed be a game changer. I don't even play some games solely because I fall asleep if their too long and often go back to back like if you accidentally go through the wrong door in Skyrim or FO.  

Any idea if Sony is going to have a better interface and online experience? This is where XBOX usually demolishes Sony.

Interesting. Does that hard drive speed translate to faster load times?  Little to no load times would indeed be a game changer. I don't even play some games solely because I fall asleep if their too long and often go back to back like if you accidentally go through the wrong door in Skyrim or FO.  

Any idea if Sony is going to have a better interface and online experience? This is where XBOX usually demolishes Sony.
They’ll both have SSDs and load times should be exponentially faster on both. Sony is touting a faster version of their SSD, but it’s a bit unclear to what extent thats true and if it is, whether it will make a noticeable difference. But yeah, better load times are why I’ll be preordering one of these even though it doesn’t look like either will launch with any killer exclusives. 

They’ll both have SSDs and load times should be exponentially faster on both. Sony is touting a faster version of their SSD, but it’s a bit unclear to what extent thats true and if it is, whether it will make a noticeable difference. But yeah, better load times are why I’ll be preordering one of these even though it doesn’t look like either will launch with any killer exclusives. 
Oh, you’re kidding me. :lmao:

Users who are viewing this thread