What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Video games...what ya playing? And what are you looking forward to? (6 Viewers)

Are the AC games still all linked story wise to the point where you can’t really jump in now and understand the story without playing the originals? I seem to remember this was the case with early games in the series. 
Since they've went to the more RPG based style, they're mostly their own games. They're connected, but only sparse story elements in the overall formation of the assassins. They're very loosely connected. I think you'd be fine picking up any of Origins, Odyssey, or Valhalla on its own.

Last edited by a moderator:
Scoresman said:
Are the AC games still all linked story wise to the point where you can’t really jump in now and understand the story without playing the originals? I seem to remember this was the case with early games in the series. 
Like I said, Odyssey is my first AC game. I don't really feel as if I am missing anything. The story seems pretty well fleshed out via cut scenes.

GroveDiesel said:
Yeah, it’s not too difficult. It helped mine a touch, but ultimately my PS4 is old and I’m fairly certain the thermal paste dried out on mine (something that apparently is known to happen). If I don’t keep a fan on it, it will start to overheat, my audio/chat will start to stutter and eventually the gameplay will start stuttering a bunch and make it unplayable. So now I have a box fan blowing on my PS4 when I’m playing it to help it limp along until I get a PS5. 

I really can’t complain though. I got mine about 6 months after the PS4 came out. It’s had a pretty good run.
I got some sort of base with a fan for mine which I turn on if I'm using the system for a very long time. Also it has slots I can put some of the games I still physically have on 

Finished Divinity: Original Sin last night. Good game. Gameplay held up really well for it being 6 or so years old. Only complaint s would be maybe the game went too far with the no handholding. There were a few times I had to go to the internet to figure out what to do next. Also the crafting system wasn't explained too well for me. But overall really enjoyed it. I'll need to try the second one soon.

Before that, however, I jumped right into Outer Worlds. Just an hour or so in so no opinions yet.
One of my top 5 (and I've been playing since the Commodore days).  Outer Worlds is very entertaining as well.

CR69 said:
That can be fixed as well if you're planning on keeping it.

Ours will go in our daughter's room but just cleaning it was enough to quiet it down. I'm on the fence about buying an SSD for it or just putting that money towards a ps5 for her sometime next year. 
I built a few of my own PCs back in the day and I think I’m beyond my days of wanting to tear things down to that level and mess around with replacing thermal paste. Will just blast a fan at it for a few more months.

Scoresman said:

ShamrockPride said:
Since they've went to the more RPG based style, they're mostly their own games. They're connected, but only sparse story elements in the overall formation of the assassins. They're very loosely connected. I think you'd be fine picking up any of Origins, Odyssey, or Valhalla on its own.

Like I said, Odyssey is my first AC game. I don't really feel as if I am missing anything. The story seems pretty well fleshed out via cut scenes.
Just wanted to add to this. Odyssey is one of my most favorite all time games and was my first AC game as well. I found the limited amount of tie ins to past AC games mostly a nuisance had no bearing on the game.

GroveDiesel said:
Yeah, it’s not too difficult. It helped mine a touch, but ultimately my PS4 is old and I’m fairly certain the thermal paste dried out on mine (something that apparently is known to happen). If I don’t keep a fan on it, it will start to overheat, my audio/chat will start to stutter and eventually the gameplay will start stuttering a bunch and make it unplayable. So now I have a box fan blowing on my PS4 when I’m playing it to help it limp along until I get a PS5. 

I really can’t complain though. I got mine about 6 months after the PS4 came out. It’s had a pretty good run.
Mine gets hot after cleaning if I play MLBTS in 4k.  If I play in just HD it does fine. 

For some reason other games in 4k don't have as much of an issue.  

I have a small USB powered fan pulling air away from mine in my entertainment center.  Works well enough for most games.

One of my top 5 (and I've been playing since the Commodore days).  Outer Worlds is very entertaining as well.
Yeah, so far I consider Outer Worlds a fun time, but nothing spectacular.  Game seems well made, not buggy at all that I can find so far, and entertaining, but nothing earth shattering yet, just a fun RPG in a quirky world.  I'm not really getting that invested into any of the characters or anything, just enjoying my time with it.

Do you guys know if there will be a good baseball game for the next generation of X-Box?  One of the reasons I went with PS4 over X-Box One is that X-Box didn't have a baseball game due to the fact that Sony developed MLB The Show and didn't make it for X-Box.  

Old dad looking for advice.  My son has had his Xbox 1 for about 4 years or so. Will the new console be available for Christmas and is it a good idea to upgrade?  

Old dad looking for advice.  My son has had his Xbox 1 for about 4 years or so. Will the new console be available for Christmas and is it a good idea to upgrade?  

Probably.

Most of us discussing are talking about buying it for ourselves. I will buy the next gen console when there is a game i want to play. However your son does not have that luxury.

Even though there are not many good games out now, there will be good games over the next year and it would be a solid gift.

thecatch said:
I’ve spent a lot of time refreshing websites the last day+ and still no luck.  :kicksrock:
I had no presale tickets. On a whim, I went to Gamestop 10 minutes before they opened yesterday. I was maybe 12th in line. I was thinking this isn't going to happen.

Made it to the register. Ask for an X, and the lady said, "Sorry, we are only doing presale tickets." I replied, "Miss, I have been out here all night." Which was absolute BS. The ticket jockey showed after we got there 5 minutes later and vouched for me. 😁

We got the last one. I kicked my girl in the shoe at the checkout, and said "This is gonna happen." "Don't say anything. I got it". It worked. 😁 As soon as I got receipt, "Run. Fire up the car."

Best of luck. It is quite a phenomenal system so far.

Completely missed out on an X.  Microsoft's website was a complete disaster yesterday and Walmart sold out in less than 3 seconds. Bummer.  Not paying ebay prices, so maybe after Christmas some will show up.  Kinda bummed to get locked out, though.

The Tick said:
Yeah, so far I consider Outer Worlds a fun time, but nothing spectacular.  Game seems well made, not buggy at all that I can find so far, and entertaining, but nothing earth shattering yet, just a fun RPG in a quirky world.  I'm not really getting that invested into any of the characters or anything, just enjoying my time with it.
I got bored with this one about mid game.  Got grindy and I just don't have the patience I used to.  Picked up Outer Wilds earlier this week and it turns out I'm really good at crashing into a variety of planets at absurd speeds.

Yeah, they're all stand alone adventures.  

Since the first game, a "real person is present time" connects to this thing they call an animus that is like a VR machine but it allows them to connect to a person in the past.  99% of the games are played as the warrior from the past.  

For...some weak ties to the original AC games, they pop you out once in a while and have you do small things as the real person in present times.  But it's probably less than an hour total across hundreds of hours in the case of Odyssey.  They're looking for something and are using the Animus as a means to do it.  And that part of the AC story is probably linked together enough that you'd pick up on it if you played them in order.  But I played Odyssey and went back to Origins and it didn't affect me.  I think that part of the game is needless and annoying.  IT just isn't really assassins' creed without it I guess.  

But Origins is an Egyptian adventure, Oddyssey is a Greek adventure, and Valhalla is a Viking adventure.  You'll have a blast without having played the others.  

No luck on next-gen consoles.  :(. 

Went ahead and got Valhalla.  Barely touched it so far.  

I actually have gotten really into God of War (PS4), which I've had for 2 years but had trouble really getting going on.  I was playing it waiting for Valhalla and kind of fell in love the past few days.  

Walmart supposedly offering PS5 in batches throughout the day:

ET: Noon, 3 p.m., 6 p.m., 9 p.m.

CT: 11 a.m., 2 p.m., 5 p.m., 8 p.m.

MT: 10 a.m., 1 p.m. 4 p.m., 7 p.m.

PT: 9 a.m., noon, 3 p.m., 6 p.m.

No luck on next-gen consoles.  :(. 

Went ahead and got Valhalla.  Barely touched it so far.  

I actually have gotten really into God of War (PS4), which I've had for 2 years but had trouble really getting going on.  I was playing it waiting for Valhalla and kind of fell in love the past few days.  
One of the best games of all time.   Cant wait for the next one

I fired up Valhalla last night. Didn't play a ton, but the combat seems a little more fun and "tactical" than the older version (I haven't played many of these - none of the newest aside from Black Flag). Block, dodge, fast attack x 3, power attack, etc. Also, climbing mountains just feels so much cooler than climbing buildings imo. :shrug:  Archery is fun so far. Kind of felt like an old Skyrim archer for a bit. Map seems smallish, but I am coming from a replay of the Witcher and Red Dead sooo :shrug:

We shall see if it holds my attention like Black Flag. The other ones never did. 

Pretty sure the scalpers have this automated.  The XBOXX was out of stock in 3 seconds, tops.

I tried "camping" all of the online sales spots late last night without success, but I finally got an order in for a PS5 bundle via Costco about a half hour ago. Last I checked they still claimed to have stock (requires a membership).

I made it all the way to checkout this second time but came up just short -- out of stock while the checkout was processing.  For some reason Walmart insists on me confirming my address and 3-digit credit card code before it lets me check out, which wastes precious time.  Seems like this should be faster.

I made it all the way to checkout this second time but came up just short -- out of stock while the checkout was processing.  For some reason Walmart insists on me confirming my address and 3-digit credit card code before it lets me check out, which wastes precious time.  Seems like this should be faster.
The Playstation Direct queue is live again, might be worth jumping in. They ran it last night as well but most people ended up getting let in after they were already out of stock (so don't get your hopes up, but maybe?).

Nevermind, they already updated the message to indicate they're out of stock today, says to check back tomorrow.

I fired up Valhalla last night. Didn't play a ton, but the combat seems a little more fun and "tactical" than the older version (I haven't played many of these - none of the newest aside from Black Flag). Block, dodge, fast attack x 3, power attack, etc. Also, climbing mountains just feels so much cooler than climbing buildings imo. :shrug:  Archery is fun so far. Kind of felt like an old Skyrim archer for a bit. Map seems smallish, but I am coming from a replay of the Witcher and Red Dead sooo :shrug:

We shall see if it holds my attention like Black Flag. The other ones never did. 
Really on the small map???  I heard the map was supposed to be bigger than Greece, and I thought that was pretty huge.

Been playing NBA 2K21 on my new Xbox Series X. Just wow. Completely amazed. It feels like Zion Williamson is in my living room. 

Of course I'm biased to anything that looks this good.  I'm old and my first basketball video game was this

Guessing no one is playing the new Call of Duty?  I believe the board has moved past it...

I've realized I'm too old to learn new games, so all I play is NBA2k and COD.  :kicksrock:

I just dont sense any hype at all about COD: Cold War. Graphics look meh, its only releasing with 8 maps (that's freaking sad, considering how small COD maps are) and the videos I've seen make the gun play/movement look way clunkier than Modern Warfare.

I'm sure there are plenty of people that will buy it because its the latest thing (and because some of the content might be good for warzone) but I certainly wont be one of them.

Unless they basically set it up so non-buyers will be in a disadvantage for warzone, (either you need it to access a new map or some overpowered gun that they put in)  I gotta think its going to do pretty poorly.

The Tick said:
Really on the small map???  I heard the map was supposed to be bigger than Greece, and I thought that was pretty huge.
As compared to Witcher and Red Dead? yes, small. I didn't play Greece so I have no idea if its bigger or smaller. 

The Tick said:
It's not small. Not even close. There are multiple maps, check it out here. I am playing on the new series X and I love it. I have played the AC games since 2. HATED Origins and Odyssey, combat sort of sucked. Loathed any attempt at assassination, if I get to you and you don't see me you shouldn't be able to shake off a blade to the head. In Valhalla you can turn off the leveled assassination BS which is awesome.

So far almost done in Norway and am a huge fan. As far as the game for me it's a wild mesh of AC/Witcher/Elder Scrolls/Far Cry Primal, it's so much damn fun. Climbing is amazing now. No leap of faith to get off a high peak kind of sucks. The game is gorgeous.

It's not small. Not even close. There are multiple maps, check it out here. I am playing on the new series X and I love it. I have played the AC games since 2. HATED Origins and Odyssey, combat sort of sucked. Loathed any attempt at assassination, if I get to you and you don't see me you shouldn't be able to shake off a blade to the head. In Valhalla you can turn off the leveled assassination BS which is awesome.

So far almost done in Norway and am a huge fan. As far as the game for me it's a wild mesh of AC/Witcher/Elder Scrolls/Far Cry Primal, it's so much damn fun. Climbing is amazing now. No leap of faith to get off a high peak kind of sucks. The game is gorgeous.
Ok, that's more in line with what I heard on the maps.  I'm kinda with you on the AC series, I've played every one, and actually didn't enjoy the last two as much (not quite hated) even though i'm a big RPG guy.  Probably won't play this till I grab a PS5 next year, but really looking forward to it.

Ok, that's more in line with what I heard on the maps.  I'm kinda with you on the AC series, I've played every one, and actually didn't enjoy the last two as much (not quite hated) even though i'm a big RPG guy.  Probably won't play this till I grab a PS5 next year, but really looking forward to it.
Oh the new abilities web is a really cool and different way to do it. I am almost a completionist, I don't everything but try and do all side quests and unlock all the fun stuff. I've put 8 hours into Norway so far and still have my final quest to do today/this weekend. I can see easily sinking 100 hours into it.

No issues with Cold War for me.  Downloaded early, and have been up and playing.

Definitely feels different.  Still trying to decide if it is a good different or bad different.

I might end up liking it just based on one comments I heard over chat; "these are the weakest sniper rifles of any COD game ever!"  If snipers don't dominate, that will be a good game in my book.

Users who are viewing this thread