Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
chet

Anybody Not Believe in Global Warming Anymore? Make Your Case In Here.

9 minutes ago, Amused to Death said:

Its almost like TS Sandy doesn't matter.....   :kicksrock:

Pretty sure there have been three Cat 4s in the past 3 years.  Harvey, Irma and Michael.  I'll leave Florence (this year) out, but the flood devastation is historical. 

But yeah.  Nothing to see here. :rolleyes:

7 minutes ago, JIslander said:

Pretty sure there have been three Cat 4s in the past 3 years.  Harvey, Irma and Michael.  I'll leave Florence (this year) out, but the flood devastation is historical. 

But yeah.  Nothing to see here. :rolleyes:

Also, Maria (cat 4) 2017.

9 minutes ago, The Commish said:

[GOP]

Maybe the sea level is rising because there's a bunch of rocks being thrown in the ocean!!

[/GOP]

Can't make this #### up :lol: 

That's not a realish statement is it?

5 minutes ago, JIslander said:

That's not a realish statement is it?

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018/05/republican-lawmaker-rocks-tumbling-ocean-causing-sea-level-rise

"Every time you have that soil or rock or whatever it is that is deposited into the seas, that forces the sea levels to rise, because now you have less space in those oceans, because the bottom is moving up," Brooks said.

2 minutes ago, The Commish said:

"Every time you have that soil or rock or whatever it is that is deposited into the seas, that forces the sea levels to rise, because now you have less space in those oceans, because the bottom is moving up," Brooks said.

Holy cow!  This man's a (stable) genius!!  We can solve the crisis of rising sea levels by dredging the oceans!  And we can put all that extra sediment in the deep parts.

Problem.  Solved.

20 minutes ago, The Commish said:

[GOP]

Maybe the sea level is rising because there's a bunch of rocks being thrown in the ocean!!

[/GOP]

Maybe beach tourism is up. Every time someone steps in the ocean, the water level rises.

2 minutes ago, Underachievers said:

A bit nippy in the mornings already here in Wisconsin.   Wish that warming would hurry the hell up.

Moe Brooks agrees with this :lmao: 

8 hours ago, Dedfin said:

:lmao:

Someone here really wanted Mo Brooks to be Senator, who was that? :lmao:

It really is embarrassing isn't it?  These people actually make these comments in public...on the official record!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, The Commish said:

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018/05/republican-lawmaker-rocks-tumbling-ocean-causing-sea-level-rise

He likely says it because it sounds plausible to his voters

37 minutes ago, msommer said:

He likely says it because it sounds plausible to his voters

I think I am officially done assuming it's a ruse they are putting on for their voters.  I really do think these people are pretty dumb and actually believe the things they are saying.

2 minutes ago, The Commish said:

I think I am officially done assuming it's a ruse they are putting on for their voters.  I really do think these people are pretty dumb and actually believe the things they are saying.

You could think of it as similar to the Nigerian Prince scam. If you want to interact with people of limited cognitive ability....

1 minute ago, msommer said:

You could think of it as similar to the Nigerian Prince scam. If you want to interact with people of limited cognitive ability....

That would require me giving the "scammer" WAY more credit than they show they deserve in the smarts department.

5 minutes ago, The Commish said:

That would require me giving the "scammer" WAY more credit than they show they deserve in the smarts department.

Wouldn't it be a reasonable approach for a scammer to take to campaigning? Assuming there are a lot of potential marks (which it seems there is)

Edited by msommer

3 minutes ago, msommer said:

IWouldn't it be a reasonable approach for a scammer to take to campaigning? Assuming there are a lot of potential marks (which it seems there is)

anonymity is usually the best weapon in those sorts of scams you brought up, so no, I don't think it would be all that smart.

4 minutes ago, The Commish said:

anonymity is usually the best weapon in those sorts of scams you brought up, so no, I don't think it would be all that smart.

We differ in opinion, it seems. So be it.

On 8/21/2018 at 12:16 PM, The Future Champs said:

And yes, co2 isn’t fully responsible for global warming.   Methane is a significant component, and might become far more important.

Stop using plastic bags from the grocery store then.

On 8/21/2018 at 1:53 PM, Juxtatarot said:

Do you think it's possible for alternative energy sources (solar for example) to be cheaper than fossil fuels in the coming decades?  

I just came back from holiday in the Orkney Islands - they generate all their electricity through wind turbines, and even export electricity to Scotland. It isn't as cheap as the electricity I get which has a huge hydro component, but that might be a difference in taxation or regulation for all I know. The problem though is there are few places as windy as the Orkney Islands.

On 10/12/2018 at 7:31 AM, Henry Ford said:

He's not citing Wikipedia, he says his visualization is "in the vein of" a particular visualization used by Wikipedia and then cites seven peer-reviewed sources as the actual sources for his visualization.  

But it still uses a poor class interval.

On 8/27/2018 at 11:40 AM, pinkham13 said:

I find it very ironic that we are talking about cataclysmic climate change and burning fossil fuels. How do people think dinosaurs went extinct? It was very likely due to a dramatic change in climate brought on by an asteroid or meteor impact on our planet. We should be more concerned with shielding our planet from cosmic debris than regulating carbon. Sheesh!

Actually, there is increasing evidence that the asteroid impact resulted in an antipodal series of eruptions of flood basalts which spewed enough sulfur dioxide into the atmosphere to bring about mass extinctions.

On 8/31/2018 at 6:58 AM, Sinn Fein said:

I tries a couple of cities and basically got a pretty flat line, then the future ramped up exponentially. In business we used to call this the hockey stick: i.e., our business has sucked for years, but look how different it will be in the future. Then every year, you move the hockey stick forward.

On 10/16/2018 at 2:02 PM, The Commish said:

[GOP]

[/GOP]

You could credit the actual source. I suspect most Republicans laugh at this as hard as you do.

4 minutes ago, bueno said:

I tries a couple of cities and basically got a pretty flat line, then the future ramped up exponentially. In business we used to call this the hockey stick: i.e., our business has sucked for years, but look how different it will be in the future. Then every year, you move the hockey stick forward.

Interesting.

Miami is the closest major city to where I was born - 81 days 90 degrees or higher when I was born, now its 133 days

Tidewater, VA - where I grew up mostly - 13 to 25

Atlanta, where I lived for 10 years - its 28 and now 51

Lexington, where I live now, its 15 to 33

maybe I am the only person to live in places affected by global warming...  :oldunsure:

8 minutes ago, bueno said:

You could credit the actual source. I suspect most Republicans laugh at this as hard as you do.

Rep. Mo Brooks (R-AL) questioned Duffy on the factors that contribute to sea-level rise, pointing out that land subsidence plays a role, as well as human activity.

Brooks then said that erosion plays a significant role in sea-level rise, which is not an idea embraced by mainstream climate researchers. He said the California coastline and the White Cliffs of Dover tumble into the sea every year, and that contributes to sea-level rise. He also said that silt washing into the ocean from the world's major rivers, including the Mississippi, the Amazon and the Nile, is contributing to sea-level rise.

Edited by Sinn Fein

23 minutes ago, bueno said:

I did and I doubt it.  If they did, they wouldn't vote for him.  Something that stupid should be an automatic disqualifier.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bueno said:

Odd, I tried my hometown and my birth year and by 2017 I got twice the number as my birth year. 

10 hours ago, joffer said:

Pffff. Science. :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Sinn Fein said:

Rep. Mo Brooks (R-AL) questioned Duffy on the factors that contribute to sea-level rise, pointing out that land subsidence plays a role, as well as human activity.

Brooks then said that erosion plays a significant role in sea-level rise, which is not an idea embraced by mainstream climate researchers. He said the California coastline and the White Cliffs of Dover tumble into the sea every year, and that contributes to sea-level rise. He also said that silt washing into the ocean from the world's major rivers, including the Mississippi, the Amazon and the Nile, is contributing to sea-level rise.

Does this clown have any idea how big the ocean is? And the line "not an idea embraced by mainstream climate researchers" is a bit understated and I hope was included for comedy reasons. 

14 hours ago, Sinn Fein said:

maybe I am the only person to live in places affected by global warming...  :oldunsure:

methane is a major contributor....

Climate change deniers are basically saying, "There's no such thing as explosions" while multiple nuclear bombs tick down in our cities. If you're going to choose a hill to, "stick it to the libs on" this should really not be it.

11 hours ago, Rove! said:

USA 🇺🇸 

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/oct/17/epa-cheers-decline-us-greenhouse-gas-emissions-und/

2.7% reduction for US while rest of world emissions rises

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-emissions-carbon/u-s-greenhouse-emissions-fell-in-2017-as-coal-plants-shut-idUSKCN1MR2J4

Emissions fell because coal plants closed. Guess who had and has a major policy plan of re-opening and expanding the use of coal. So we made some strides because we've continued on the course set by Obama. And Trump's administration hasn't managed to screw it up yet.

• Like 1

The Washington Times is certainly my go-to for source for climate news.

1 minute ago, joffer said:

The Washington Times is certainly my go-to for source for climate news.

The stats are backed up by the article in Reuters. It's just that the reason for the improvement is completely counter to what the Republican party wants to do.