chet

Anybody Not Believe in Global Warming Anymore? Make Your Case In Here.

1,742 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

59 minutes ago, bueno said:

joffer, that is a terrible reference. He is citing wiki and is only going back 20000 years, it is just awful - poor science at best.

You were jumping up and down yesterday about a 7,000 year cycle.

Edited by Matthias

2 hours ago, bueno said:

There is a subtle difference between will be and have to be. Will it be? I think the answer is yes. Does it have to be? The answer could be no.

The reason I think it will be, is that we have 250 years or less of fossil fuels remaining (you can dispute the number if you want, but changing the number doesn't invalidate the argument).. As we run out of the easy to get stuff, energy will become more expensive because it will cost more to obtain. And here lies a source of cheap energy... yes, it will be exploited. As energy production decreases and we have rolling brown-outs or black-outs, people are going to care less about the planet and more about the contents of their refrigerators. It will be exploited.

Do you think it's possible for alternative energy sources (solar for example) to be cheaper than fossil fuels in the coming decades?  

9 minutes ago, Juxtatarot said:

Do you think it's possible for alternative energy sources (solar for example) to be cheaper than fossil fuels in the coming decades?  

Solar energy?

The sun is the #1 cause of global warming. Hitching the horse to that wagon is certain to doom the planet.

36 minutes ago, Juxtatarot said:

43 minutes ago, Matthias said:

You were jumping up and down yesterday about a 7,000 year cycle.

Not exactly - I said we were in a cyclic warming period that began 7900 years ago. The climate has been unstable since the Miocene. but Brown chose only to show the part from the apex of the last glacial period until today - very dishonest IMO.

38 minutes ago, Juxtatarot said:

I think the time will eventually come, but I've been disappointed by the promise of cheap solar energy for too long to have much hope.

1 person likes this

12 hours ago, bueno said:

Of course I do, but if that were the case, why are we worried at all? It is the rate that it radiates heat into space that is in question.

Yes, exactly, and that brings us to the “greenhouse” part of the discussion.

On 8/19/2018 at 8:13 PM, bueno said:

So you don't believe it has been warming in a cyclic fashion for the past 7900 years? That is fairly well-established.

Do you believe we can stop global warming (i.e. control the climate)? I don't think you do. Slow it down? I doubt that as well. but maybe.

You believe we shouldn't have contingency plans for coastal flooding?

You don't believe in doing our best to keep pollutants that help to remove oxygen from ocean water out of the environment?

wow

I find it very ironic that we are talking about cataclysmic climate change and burning fossil fuels. How do people think dinosaurs went extinct? It was very likely due to a dramatic change in climate brought on by an asteroid or meteor impact on our planet. We should be more concerned with shielding our planet from cosmic debris than regulating carbon. Sheesh!

1 person likes this

It's a mistake to say, "This event this week is a result of large factors" but it's worth noting that Florence will be the worst storm to hit the Carolinas in 30 years. And before it slowed down was projected to perhaps be the worst ever. And once you have a litany of, "once a century" events or, "worst ever" events pretty much every year, the cumulative situation can't be ignored.

1 minute ago, Matthias said:

It's a mistake to say, "This event this week is a result of large factors" but it's worth noting that Florence will be the worst storm to hit the Carolinas in 30 years. And before it slowed down was projected to perhaps be the worst ever. And once you have a litany of, "once a century" events or, "worst ever" events pretty much every year, the cumulative situation can't be ignored.

You would think, but just watch them ignore it.

1 person likes this

On 8/21/2018 at 4:53 PM, Juxtatarot said:

It’s inevitable 

On 8/21/2018 at 2:46 PM, bueno said:

joffer, that is a terrible reference. He is citing wiki and is only going back 20000 years, it is just awful - poor science at best.

He's not citing Wikipedia, he says his visualization is "in the vein of" a particular visualization used by Wikipedia and then cites seven peer-reviewed sources as the actual sources for his visualization.  

Trump: Climate change scientists have 'political agenda'

What did Mr Trump say about climate change?

During Sunday's interview, Mr Trump cast doubt on making any changes, saying the scientists "have a very big political agenda".

"I don't think it's a hoax, I think there's probably a difference," he told journalist Lesley Stahl.

"But I don't know that it's manmade. I will say this. I don't want to give trillions and trillions of dollars. I don't want to lose millions and millions of jobs. I don't want to be put at a disadvantage."

Mr Trump added that temperatures "could very well go back" - although he did not say how.

What a maroon