Tom Servo

*** OFFICIAL *** Cleveland Indians thread - Mr. Hand teaches Spicoli AND helps in the bully.

1,853 posts in this topic

Looks like we improved the bullpen. Hate to lose Meija, but if we're going to win this year we had to do something. Glad we have them for a couple more seasons. 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://amp.si.com/mlb/2018/07/19/brad-hand-trade-cleveland-indians-san-diego-padres-francisco-mejia&ved=0ahUKEwixw-3hyavcAhWX0YMKHTfoDJ4QiJQBCCcwAA&usg=AOvVaw3Cic_FVChjJWbAKUvX5BB-&ampcf=1

Buster Olney 
@Buster_ESPN

In talking with other teams, hearing lots of raves about the Indians' end of their trade for Brad Hand and Adam Cimber. Controllable bullpen pieces for 2018, 2019 as Cleveland plays out its window of opportunity. Very well positioned for this year and next

and '20 and '21.  What is Buster thinking?  Or maybe I'm wrong.

'21 is the team option year for Hand.  

Cimber is controllable until like '23 at least.

We knew for sure one, or BOTH, of Miller/Allen were going to be gone after this season.  This is a big trade for now and the future.

I'm still all for dealing Bieber for OF plus another RP.....just seems like I'm in the minority on Beiber.  Why are people SOOOOOO attracted to keeping him.  He might not start a postseason game ever for us.  I get it, there is something there, but it's also a nice trade piece at a position of depth for us and we have more young arms on the way.

1 person likes this

16 minutes ago, Bobcat10 said:

I'm still all for dealing Bieber for OF plus another RP.....just seems like I'm in the minority on Beiber.  Why are people SOOOOOO attracted to keeping him.

Very similar with Merritt last year.  Had a great outing or two, but not yet spectacular.  With that said, I'd be more willing to go with Bieber over Merritt.

37 minutes ago, Bobcat10 said:

I'm still all for dealing Bieber for OF plus another RP.....just seems like I'm in the minority on Beiber.  Why are people SOOOOOO attracted to keeping him.  He might not start a postseason game ever for us.  I get it, there is something there, but it's also a nice trade piece at a position of depth for us and we have more young arms on the way.

I'm still buying on Beiber. I like his poise and I really liked how he worked through the Yankees over the weekend. As such, I'm not inclined to trade him.

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, Tom Servo said:

I'm still buying on Beiber. I like his poise and I really liked how he worked through the Yankees over the weekend. As such, I'm not inclined to trade him.

I'm not against him or anything.  I like what I see.  I guess with Tomlin fading and Merritt's uncertainty and McKenzie's youth and Salazar's health and Plutko's inexperience....he's closer to a spot than we think, but if he's our best chip right now to get something really good then we gotta just do it.  Him or McKenzie...you have to be able to part with one no?  (I'm straight guessing Plutko cannot bring in anything worthwhile or I'd ship him off instantly).

1 person likes this

Just in from Jordan Bastian -

Greg Allen has been optioned to Columbus. Adam Plutko will be optioned there tomorrow. Those two plus the Mejia trade leave three openings on the active roster; two obviously filled by Hand and Climber. He speculates the third could be filled by Melky Cabrera. :yucky:

12 minutes ago, PlasmaDogPlasma said:

So, is Allen still going to close or will be Mr. Hand?

I think Allen for the time being letting Hand get acclimated.  When all 3 are healthy, I could see situational utilizing the lefties whenever he wants (or Allen in the 8th if it's heavy RH bats, then going to a lefty for 9th).  Unpredictable right now for sure, but we know Tito is loyal.

23 minutes ago, PlasmaDogPlasma said:

So, is Allen still going to close or will be Mr. Hand?

It's not THAT Mr. Hand, sport.

9.5 games up in the central, I think they win it by 16 games, kind of boring if your an Indians fan, but a good thing

4 hours ago, Gopher State said:

9.5 games up in the central, I think they win it by 16 games, kind of boring if your an Indians fan, but a good thing

Obviously that's as much about the division being bad as the Tribe being good.

It does kinda feel like a recent Cavs season though where we fans are just looking ahead to the playoffs and trying to figure out if we can compete with the powerhouses.