Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Chase Stuart

ESPN 30 for 30

Thurl Bailey is a mellow cat. Seems like a really good dude.

I thought for sure he had a son who was in true blood a few years ago. But the kid wasn't his son

That was fantastic. As a 5 yr old at the time I had no clue and as a college ball fan my awareness starts in the late 80s.

That was just incredible.

The NC State one is the best yet, absolutely brilliant TV.

I remember them beating UVa in the quarters but couldn't begin to guess who they played in the semis. They beat Jordan's Heels, Sampson twice, a 28-2 UNLV team and a Houston team that may have been the most talented in NCAA history. Combine that with miracle comeback wins vs Pepperdine, UNC and the shot and that has to be one of the greatest stories ever told.

Finally saw the Jimmy V one. Could have been a good documentary shown at the movie theater. Well paced and good editing. Not knowing the inner workings of the run also was eye opening.

The 80's in college basketball must have been awesome to watch.

Finally saw the Jimmy V one. Could have been a good documentary shown at the movie theater. Well paced and good editing. Not knowing the inner workings of the run also was eye opening.

The truest statement was when Vitale said the college players today aren't nearly as good as the players in the 80s.

They were. Having players stay all four years and really develop their game in college was a joy to watch. Now, I rarely watch college bball unless it's the NCAA Tourney.

"Elway to Marino" ... the story of the 1983 NFL Draft. Tomorrow at 8 on ESPN.

Preview

Miami sure was happy about the rumors of Marino being a druggie. Of course, they probably started them. :)

"Elway to Marino" ... the story of the 1983 NFL Draft. Tomorrow at 8 on ESPN.

Preview

Miami sure was happy about the rumors of Marino being a druggie. Of course, they probably started them. :)

:nudge:

They were. Having players stay all four years and really develop their game in college was a joy to watch. Now, I rarely watch college bball unless it's the NCAA Tourney.

Really was awesome, I'd say going back through the 70's for me. UNC alum but an ACC fan, and there's no denying that Valvano team is still inspirational.

NFL Network's "A Football Life" blows this series out of the water.

Do others agree?

Do others agree?

Depends on the content.

The 30/30 on the 83 NC State team with Jimmy V is the best/most moving doc Ive ever seen. I'm almost tearing up just typing this.

Edited by STEADYMOBBIN 22

Do others agree?

No, because the "Football Life" series only serves as an official PR arm of the NFL. Take the Belichek episode...absolutely no mention of spygate in any form or context. How do you tell the story of Bill Belichek's football life without somehow including that? Even if its a "no comment" out of him.

I must say that looking back even the thought that the Niners would trade Joe Montana to the Colts for Elway in 1983 seems hard to swallow.

Do others agree?

No

Really good job w/ the Elway to Marino episode.

Agreed. Love recalling how the Lions took James Jones with the pick right before Buffalo took Jim Kelly

Very good notes on the Elway to Marino episode kept by their attorney. Loved how Bradshaw called out Elway.

Watched Elway to Marino. Excellent episode and one of the best in terms of cinematography and directing.

I was 11 years old when this draft went down so I really didn't know much about it. Just vaguely remember Elway wanting to play baseball. And I had no clue Jim Kelly hated the Bills at first. I feel like I learned quite a bit of NFL history.

Edited by 17seconds

I really enjoyed the Elway to Marino episode last night. I remember the whole Elway thing playing out, but I was too young at the time to recognize how much of a punk Elway acted like in the press conferences. Wow.

Watched it last night and really enjoyed it. Interesting tangent about the Steelers passing on Marino because they wanted defense, despite the fact that Rooney LOVED Marino. Bradshaw's elbow was ruined and there was nobody to replace him. The DT they drafted looked like a legit player, but drunk drove himself into a wheelchair his rookie year.

Cowboys were willing to part with Danny White. Wish they had. But Jim Jeffcoat was one hell of a player for Dallas.

My Oilers could've had Dickerson at pick 2, never knew that. Mathews turned out ok though. The Eagles drafted the lowest ypc record holder at 8. Doh!

The chiefs drafting Blackledge where they did and Patriots drafting Eason also pretty bad decisions.

Can't believe 49ers considering trading Montana.

I CANNOT believe how much Baltimore wanted for Elway. Just to move down the draft a few slots...they wanted a bunch of first rounders, some second rounders...and who knows what else. Insane. And to cause animosity because a team didn't want to give the fifth pick, 22nd pick, and more for that pick...ridiculous. Even looking back on how great Elway turned out...it doesn't seem reasonable.

And then to not take the Dallas deal...they tried to screw that deal up...Denver was smart to draft the player they wanted and just bide time.

Can't believe 49ers considering trading Montana.I CANNOT believe how much Baltimore wanted for Elway. Just to move down the draft a few slots...they wanted a bunch of first rounders, some second rounders...and who knows what else. Insane. And to cause animosity because a team didn't want to give the fifth pick, 22nd pick, and more for that pick...ridiculous. Even looking back on how great Elway turned out...it doesn't seem reasonable.And then to not take the Dallas deal...they tried to screw that deal up...Denver was smart to draft the player they wanted and just bide time.

What'd they want 3 1sts and 2 2nds? Redskins gave 3 1sts and a 2nd to get Griffin and he was nowhere near the prospect that Elway was.

Obviously, the leverage issue was huge, so I agree that they still should've taken the best offer on draft day, but the asking price wasn't too far off base.

Do others agree?

No

They've definitely stepped it up bigtime with these last two, the Valvano one and this Elway-Marino one. Both were outstanding

Can't believe 49ers considering trading Montana.I CANNOT believe how much Baltimore wanted for Elway. Just to move down the draft a few slots...they wanted a bunch of first rounders, some second rounders...and who knows what else. Insane. And to cause animosity because a team didn't want to give the fifth pick, 22nd pick, and more for that pick...ridiculous. Even looking back on how great Elway turned out...it doesn't seem reasonable.And then to not take the Dallas deal...they tried to screw that deal up...Denver was smart to draft the player they wanted and just bide time.

What'd they want 3 1sts and 2 2nds? Redskins gave 3 1sts and a 2nd to get Griffin and he was nowhere near the prospect that Elway was.

Obviously, the leverage issue was huge, so I agree that they still should've taken the best offer on draft day, but the asking price wasn't too far off base.

I guess it's the going rate...I just can't see doing it. But...then again, before this last year's draft...I said as a Dolphin fan that I'd trade all my picks last year for Luck.

Seems like Elway/Marino's agent spent all his time working on Elway's deals/demands...and not much on Marino's.

Watched it last night and really enjoyed it. Interesting tangent about the Steelers passing on Marino because they wanted defense, despite the fact that Rooney LOVED Marino. Bradshaw's elbow was ruined and there was nobody to replace him. The DT they drafted looked like a legit player, but drunk drove himself into a wheelchair his rookie year.

Cowboys were willing to part with Danny White. Wish they had. But Jim Jeffcoat was one hell of a player for Dallas.

I hadn't realized how deep that draft was overall. It seemed like almost the teams who didn't take a QB got a guy who made like four Pro Bowls. Six HOFers in one draft class is extraordinary, and the guys right behind them were hits, too. Chris Hinton was a top-tier OL for over a decade and could play anywhere on the line. Like you said for the Cowboys, Jim Jeffcoat was a great player for them for a very long time. The Vikings could have used the QB upgrade to Marino, but their pick wasn't a bust: Joey Browner went to six Pro Bowls and was an all-around BMF. Tim Lewis was fantastic until the neck injury.

The last two picks of that first round were Dan Marino and Darrell Green; if those guys went 1.01 and 1.02, the teams drafting them would have felt like they had nailed those picks.

Chiefs fans weren't too happy to relive the part where the Chiefs brass hit the road to work out Dan Marino and Todd Blackledge right before the draft, and somehow talked themselves into Blackledge. I know it's easy to rail on this through hindsight, but I'm old enough to remember Blackledge the college player, and there was very little memorable about him. He was awesome at handing the ball off to Curt Warner and he played for a great team within a great program.

Seems like Elway/Marino's agent spent all his time working on Elway's deals/demands...and not much on Marino's.

I wonder what Demoff could have done to stop the bleeding on Marino's draft stock. That's probably something that could have been aaddressed more without having to ringmaster the Elway circus at the same time. Maybe it was the different era. I kinda-sorta remembered the drug rumors about Marino, but I didn't know he voluntarily took and passed a bunch of drug tests at Pitt to combat the rumors. I also suppose in this era, Marino would have turned pro after his monster junior season, and not had his regressed senior season on his record.

Marino the college kid didn't seem to carry himself as a very serious guy, but I doubt that's a negative in today's game. I thought the old footage of Marino with the whitefro and joking around about participating in the LA Express cheerleader selection process came off as far more charismatic than he does on TV today.

I also wonder how much the USFL was a factor. Maybe teams passed on Marino because they didn't want to get in a bidding war with USFL teams over him.

Cameo appearance by Chest Rockwell in the Jets gallery at the '83 draft.

Everything about that draft setting was :moneybag: 28 banquet tables crammed so closely, the teams could have just yelled their picks up to Rozelle from their chairs. I've been to fantasy football drafts with swankier accomodations. IMO the re-creation of that conference room for the doc was a nice touch, especially the scoreboard rolling over to the next pick(s) as the story progressed.

And yes, Chest Rockwell and the rest of the balcony gang were amazing. No smartphones, computers, bound book/magazine draft guides; just the hardest of the hardcore fans who didn't have anywhere important to be on a Tuesday morning, armed with stacks of paper stapled together to follow along on draft day.

• Like 1

Cameo appearance by Chest Rockwell in the Jets gallery at the '83 draft.

Who?

I hadn't realized how deep that draft was overall. It seemed like almost the teams who didn't take a QB got a guy who made like four Pro Bowls. Six HOFers in one draft class is extraordinary, and the guys right behind them were hits, too. Chris Hinton was a top-tier OL for over a decade and could play anywhere on the line. Like you said for the Cowboys, Jim Jeffcoat was a great player for them for a very long time. The Vikings could have used the QB upgrade to Marino, but their pick wasn't a bust: Joey Browner went to six Pro Bowls and was an all-around BMF. Tim Lewis was fantastic until the neck injury.

The last two picks of that first round were Dan Marino and Darrell Green; if those guys went 1.01 and 1.02, the teams drafting them would have felt like they had nailed those picks.

Chiefs fans weren't too happy to relive the part where the Chiefs brass hit the road to work out Dan Marino and Todd Blackledge right before the draft, and somehow talked themselves into Blackledge. I know it's easy to rail on this through hindsight, but I'm old enough to remember Blackledge the college player, and there was very little memorable about him. He was awesome at handing the ball off to Curt Warner and he played for a great team within a great program.

And what about the total whiff by the Jets? And thirty years later, they take Geno Smith with their second round pick? WTF? The similarity in the fans' reactions is pretty funny.

For me, the most moving 30 For 30 was "Once Brothers", the story of the two Yugoslavian National Teammates who got caught up in the civil war there. It was just heartbreaking.

Ken O'brien was a total whiff???

Hindsight is 20/20 in regards to Marino.

Ken O'brien was a total whiff???Hindsight is 20/20 in regards to Marino.

Except that it's not hindsight. Marino would have gone much earlier if not for the silly rumor thing.

Except that it's not hindsight. Marino would have gone much earlier if not for the silly rumor thing.

IMO it wasn't just a rumor.

I wonder if the coach of Baltimore (Frank Kush) was offered an interview. He took blame from several different people. I would like to hear his side.

Ron Meyer just killed Tony Eason. Very blunt. "He was just another guy".

For me, the most moving 30 For 30 was "Once Brothers", the story of the two Yugoslavian National Teammates who got caught up in the civil war there. It was just heartbreaking.

Agreed. Best one.

I wonder if the coach of Baltimore (Frank Kush) was offered an interview. He took blame from several different people. I would like to hear his side. Ron Meyer just killed Tony Eason. Very blunt. "He was just another guy".

Yeah, Meyer was pretty funny.Though, I don't recall what he said about the decision making process (assume he said he didn't have any input), but still, I just don't buy a coach allowing that to happen if they really feel that way.Even the Colts' meddling owner let Kush have some input. If you're so perfectly clear in your evaluations of Eason vs. Marino, I don't see how Meyer lets that happen.I'm guess Meyer is at least partially full of it.

I wonder what Demoff could have done to stop the bleeding on Marino's draft stock. That's probably something that could have been aaddressed more without having to ringmaster the Elway circus at the same time. Maybe it was the different era. I kinda-sorta remembered the drug rumors about Marino, but I didn't know he voluntarily took and passed a bunch of drug tests at Pitt to combat the rumors. I also suppose in this era, Marino would have turned pro after his monster junior season, and not had his regressed senior season on his record.

Marino the college kid didn't seem to carry himself as a very serious guy, but I doubt that's a negative in today's game. I thought the old footage of Marino with the whitefro and joking around about participating in the LA Express cheerleader selection process came off as far more charismatic than he does on TV today.

I also wonder how much the USFL was a factor. Maybe teams passed on Marino because they didn't want to get in a bidding war with USFL teams over him.

Matt Barkley

:hifive:

Edited by Bishop

:goodposting:

I don't know how you can possibly call a QB taken late in the first round that played over 8 seasons for the team that drafted him, had a career QB rating of over 80, and played in 2 pro bowls while on that team, a total whiff.

:goodposting:

I don't know how you can possibly call a QB taken late in the first round that played over 8 seasons for the team that drafted him, had a career QB rating of over 80, and played in 2 pro bowls while on that team, a total whiff.

Had a better QBR as a Jet than Joe Namath did

I wonder if the coach of Baltimore (Frank Kush) was offered an interview. He took blame from several different people. I would like to hear his side. Ron Meyer just killed Tony Eason. Very blunt. "He was just another guy".

Yeah, Meyer was pretty funny.Though, I don't recall what he said about the decision making process (assume he said he didn't have any input), but still, I just don't buy a coach allowing that to happen if they really feel that way.Even the Colts' meddling owner let Kush have some input. If you're so perfectly clear in your evaluations of Eason vs. Marino, I don't see how Meyer lets that happen.I'm guess Meyer is at least partially full of it.

He seemed really pissed off about the entire process, even stating all he was really allowed to do was be present. They didn't even let him read the scouting reports.

The Colts were as dysfunctional as they come and what pisses this Cowboys fan off the most, is Elway should have been a Cowboy!

He seemed really pissed off about the entire process, even stating all he was really allowed to do was be present. They didn't even let him read the scouting reports. The Colts were as dysfunctional as they come and what pisses this Cowboys fan off the most, is Elway should have been a Cowboy!
Ron Meyer was a rookie coach at the time, IIRC. He had just come from SMU (he pulled a Pete Carrol with that program) and had never been a head coach at the NFL level (he worked for Tom Landry in Dallas), so it's not too hard to imagine the upper management controlling the draft. Eason was a good QB at Illinois, but Meyer's big problem was that he was too small; that his body would never hold up at the NFL level and when he was talking about it, they flashed a picture of Eason crumbled to the turf at Illinois. Eason had talent and helped take New England to a Super Bowl (in a time share with Steve Grogan) but he was 0-6 passing in that game and the Bears vaunted defense teed off on him. Hell it was Eason who helped New England beat Miami to get to the Super Bowl (3 TD passes IN Miami), so how's that for a post script?Meyer is an interesting cat. He appeared prominently in the 30/30 "Pony Excess" which I thought was brilliant. Meyer also sounds exactly like FBG Fave jplvr. I mean, identical. The Cowboys with Elway is an interesting thought for sure, but again, Jim Jeffcoat was a hell of a player and he was very key to Dallas' success in the early 90s on defense. As a fan, there's not a QB I love more in life than Troy Aikman, so I'm content with the way things shaped out. Aikman wasn't a stat monster and he could be boring at times, but damn it, he made all the right throws and was a terrific team leader. Won a lot of games. Edited by General Malaise

:hifive:

Thanks for the reminder, i need to finish this one. Watched 2/3 of it and was really enthralled with the history/back story. Vlade is one hell of a guy, IMO. I mean, I don't know him at all and he may have a different persona off camera, but he's very likable and it was poignant to listen to him discuss the falling out he had with Petrovich. Watching him visit his parents in his native home land was pretty awesome.

:goodposting:I don't know how you can possibly call a QB taken late in the first round that played over 8 seasons for the team that drafted him, had a career QB rating of over 80, and played in 2 pro bowls while on that team, a total whiff.
I would call JaMarcus Russell and Ryan Leaf 'total whiffs'....definitely not O'brien. They said on the show I think that he actually had a winning career record vs. Marino. Also as many Super Bowl wins. Total Whiffs aren't ever winning AFC player of the year either as he did in '85.