What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

ESPN 30 for 30 (1 Viewer)

For me, the most moving 30 For 30 was "Once Brothers", the story of the two Yugoslavian National Teammates who got caught up in the civil war there. It was just heartbreaking.
Agreed. Best one.
Chris Herren's story, imo
I'll take the Todd Marinovich story over all of them with Marquis Dupree next.
The OJ Simpson one was an inventive take on a story that you normally think was entirely played out.

The one about Rotisserie Baseball was the worst
Boy was it ever, that thing was terrible. The USFL one wasn't very good either My favorite so is The Birth of Big Air, mainly because Matt Hoffman is from my hometown. The Two Escobars was pretty excellent as well.

Lol at Marquis Dupree. I like the way that sounds,.

Moe. said:
Eephus said:
General Malaise said:
For me, the most moving 30 For 30 was "Once Brothers", the story of the two Yugoslavian National Teammates who got caught up in the civil war there. It was just heartbreaking.
Agreed. Best one.
The OJ Simpson one was an inventive take on a story that you normally think was entirely played out.

Boy was it ever, that thing was terrible. The USFL one wasn't very good either My favorite so is The Birth of Big Air, mainly because Matt Hoffman is from my hometown. The Two Escobars was pretty excellent as well.

Lol at Marquis Dupree. I like the way that sounds,.
:bag:

Glad I missed the Rotisserie one. Why doesn't ESPN have these On Demand for DirecTV users? :confused:

General Malaise said:
Agreed. Best one.
Marinovich was great. definitely unexpected for me. expected to really dislike the guy. came out just the opposite.

General Malaise said:
Agreed. Best one.
Marinovich was great. definitely unexpected for me. expected to really dislike the guy. came out just the opposite.
The ending was fantastic. Was not expecting that one...at all. They did a great job hiding it, IMO. Likewise, I had all this pre-conceived notions and expected not to like him; quite the opposite. I really hope he keeps the good life rolling along.

Eephus said:
General Malaise said:
Agreed. Best one.

Yeah I'm with you on this one. The Two Escobars was amazing.

The Roto Baseball made we want to throttle all of them. Boomers at their most insufferable.

Liked Elway to Marino and they did a really good job with something that very easily could have been very dry in terms of a film. I love to hate on the Jets but calling O'Brien a whiff is completely unfair - his biggest crime is not being Marino and the notorious draft commentary from the Jets fan :)

Even most of the non-Hall of Famers in this first round were solid. I mean Dave Rimington was solid for the Bengals and even has the trophy for outstanding college center named after him.

-QG

Also amazing to see the change in value of positions as a Guard being drafted #4 is almost impossible to fathom today :eek:

-QG

The Gator said:
Agreed. Best one.
Thirded
Herren was my favorite as well. Right behind would be Once Brothers and Survive and Advance (Jimmy V). 9.79 and June 17, 1994 were excellent too.

I missed and really want to see Marinovich Project and Two Escobars. Actually looking at the list of 30 for 30s, there are quite a few I have missed.

Finally saw this last night. I hated Elway when I was a young kid but never really remembered why. Then I liked him as an adult at the end of his career. Watching this, I now remember why I didn't like him as a tike. My God he came off like a smug entitled ##### about the whole Colts situation. A kid acting like that would get crucified in the press and social media today. Geno Smith looks like a nice kid compared to how Elway was in 83.

Finally saw this last night. I hated Elway when I was a young kid but never really remembered why. Then I liked him as an adult at the end of his career. Watching this, I now remember why I didn't like him as a tike. My God he came off like a smug entitled ##### about the whole Colts situation. A kid acting like that would get crucified in the press and social media today. Geno Smith looks like a nice kid compared to how Elway was in 83.
When Eli resisted being drafted by San Diego, it brought down the wrath of plenty on this board anyway.

saw Herren speak live today at a local'ish high school

pretty ####ing incredible. gmfb that guy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really love the Two Escobars. Not only the best 30 for 30 IMO opinion, one of the better docs of any sort I've ever seen. Amazing glimpse into a slice of life and wonderful interplay of those two stories coming together

just discovered the series with the great elway to marino episode few weeks ago...

thanx to the thread, started with some of the favorites, and they are mostly on netflix streaming, and youtube has a lot, too...

two escobars and survive and advance (nc state) were EASILY among best sports docs i've ever seen (and probably don't need the sports qualifier, just period, as others have noted upthread)... great subjects, great story telling and great production values (they were interviewing former columbian heads of state for 2 Es!!)...

the marcus dupree one (the best/greatest that never was) was also excellent, i don't recall being aware of him at the time, but he did have a short career... he looked like a pro playing against preps, like a combo of jim brown and eric dickerson...

the len bias (without bias) one was maybe my least favorite, maybe a few minutes were interesting in reminding me of how good he was, but didn't add a lot to what i already knew...

just started ali and holmes, most because i like co-director albert mayles, who with his brother, were among best american music documentarians i know of (did gimme shelter and first beatles visit)...

have most of them in netflix queue, looking forward to some of the others...

just discovered the series with the great elway to marino episode few weeks ago...

thanx to the thread, started with some of the favorites, and they are mostly on netflix streaming, and youtube has a lot, too...

two escobars and survive and advance (nc state) were EASILY among best sports docs i've ever seen (and probably don't need the sports qualifier, just period, as others have noted upthread)... great subjects, great story telling and great production values (they were interviewing former columbian heads of state for 2 Es!!)...

the marcus dupree one (the best/greatest that never was) was also excellent, i don't recall being aware of him at the time, but he did have a short career... he looked like a pro playing against preps, like a combo of jim brown and eric dickerson...

the len bias (without bias) one was maybe my least favorite, maybe a few minutes were interesting in reminding me of how good he was, but didn't add a lot to what i already knew...

just started ali and holmes, most because i like co-director albert mayles, who with his brother, were among best american music documentarians i know of (did gimme shelter and first beatles visit)...

have most of them in netflix queue, looking forward to some of the others...
Big fan of the series and I agree with most of your takes except the first one - I just didnt' find the Elway/Marino draft story that compelling. That, and Elway came off like a total DB during the whole scenario...

Finally got to see most of Pony Expre$$ last night, which was pretty amusing from a bunch of angles. First, it's amazing to someone from a non-football state to see those boosters lining up to throw money at kids. For what, to talk smack at the country club? Incredible.

Second, I thought "hey, we're almost at a point now where all that stuff would be ok to do." Bobby Collins, who replaced Ron Meyer at SMU, seemed almost blissfully unaware that his recruits were being purchased by the boosters; he just coached whoever showed up. Is that how it will be when players are free to earn income outside of the university? (Oh, yeah, it's coming) Or will the boosters try to take over the whole program? I think the battles for control of the product are gonna be epic.

:towelwave: Can't wait

'30 for 30' documentary on Bad Boys slated for 2014CHICAGO — Detroit Pistons fans will have to wait a little while forESPN’s Bad Boys retrospective.

But it will happen.

ESPN spokeswoman Jennifer J. Cingari told the Free Press this morning that a “30 for 30” documentary on the Bad Boys will air sometime in 2014 and will be produced and directed by NBA Entertainment.

Pistons fans have been clamoring for a documentary on that era since ESPN started airing the “30 for 30” documentaries in October 2009.

The Pistons have been approached by producers, but the project is still in the planning stages.

Contact Vince Ellis: 313-222-6479 or vellis@freepress.com. Follow him on Twitter @vincent_ellis56.

There was a story on awful announcing that they also planning a 30 for 30 documentary about Cleveland sports and their suffering fans. Given the crap they have dealt with since 1980 that should be pretty interesting.

Just watched the Jimmy the Greek episode.

Hearing Irv Cross's voice gave me a major childhood flashback... WOW! haven't heard that guy in a while

BTW: Completely unnecessary to have the fake voiceover and actor for the greek. WTF?

This John Spano one is incredible. Basically this is an FBG buying a hockey team, awesome. Guy had a couple hundred grand and he bought the Islanders for $165 million. :lmao:

I was living in Italy at the time, I missed all this. This is so awesome, basically some slightly above average shlub bought the Islanders and he nearly got away with it. Gary Bettman is so ####### stupid, if this doesn't prove it nothing ever will.

Man, all he had to do was get others to invest and give them a piece of the franchise. He couldn't find 8 Chet's at $2milllion a pop? Had I gotten that I far I would have closed the deal, but no way I could have pulled all those faxes off. Those machines hate my guts.

So the guy had to pay 17 million, sends a check for $1700 AND STILL GETS AWAY WITH IT. :tebow:

I am amazed that Gary bettman wanted this story to come out given how embarrassing this makes everyone look. I mean nobody looks good on it except the Spanos for getting away with this amazing ponzi scheme

So the guy had to pay 17 million, sends a check for $1700 AND STILL GETS AWAY WITH IT. :tebow:

I am amazed that Gary bettman wanted this story to come out given how embarrassing this makes everyone look. I mean nobody looks good on it except the Spanos for getting away with this amazing ponzi scheme
Yeah - why couldn't he have gone back to Boston and get someone to loan him another $40M. Then you do everything you can to get more up front money out of the cable deal and start to work the stadium.

This is really hard to believe. But watch some of those shows on CNBC or whatever (American Greed or something) and find out that these kinds of scams (not to this level) happen more than you think.

This is really hard to believe. But watch some of those shows on CNBC or whatever (American Greed or something) and find out that these kinds of scams (not to this level) happen more than you think.
I watch that show quite a bit, but never seen anything at this level. This is a North American Professional Sports franchise!!! :lmao:

Really this could only happen under that boob Bettman. They may be jerkoff pricks, but this would never happen under Stern or Goodell's watch.

Why was fleet bank was so persistent to give that loan away?
The thing is, had he #### the $17 million first payment, it might have been a good loan. I mean it sounds like the guy might have blown it on cocaine and whores, but he might have actually paid them back.

Users who are viewing this thread