What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

ESPN 30 for 30 (1 Viewer)

Never hit 1000 yards in a season. Still one of the best runners ever. How I wish he hadn't got hurt.

MEH. It is basically airtime for ESPN talking heads wrapped around a Nike commercial

So much potential, but missed the mark for me

Last edited by a moderator:
Never hit 1000 yards in a season. Still one of the best runners ever. How I wish he hadn't got hurt.
Don't think his baseball career was that impressive either. I'll be dammed if he wasn't bigger than life though. Was so pumped when he came to play for the white sox after his injury.

MEH. It is basically airtime for ESPN talking heads wrapped around a Nike commercialSo much potential, but missed the mark for me
Agree, particularly about the first hour or so, but I felt it picked up later.
The highlights for me were when Bo was talking about getting recruited, when he was talking about his hatred of Tampa Bay for misleading him and his bit at the end. So pretty much when Bo was telling his side of the story. That was maybe 10 minutes of the episode, max.and :lmao: at the "updates" at the end
Bo Jackson was 28 years old when he sustained his hip injury. He is still the only player ever selected for both the MLB All-Star Game and the NFL Pro Bowl. He is not in the Hall of Fame for either sport.
Those lovely tidbits had absolutely nothing to do with the rest of the story arc they had just told. If they wanted that to be the dramatic ending of their tale, they could have set it up so much better.

I enjoyed it, overall. Tough to relive his injury. One of the saddest days ever. And I would say that even if he hadn't been playing for the Raiders at the time. We were robbed of many more years of athletic brilliance.

I enjoyed the show. Basically saw what great athletic attributes combined with marketing did for Bo. I was a kid when Bo was a pro and though he was great on the field, the marketing off was why he got uber exposure. Not taking anything away from him by my comment. Genius campaign by Nike but Bo was still a physical marvel. Im shocked that he didnt lift weight very much.

And yes, the 1st expensive shoes my mom ever bought me where the Bo trainers.. had the poster above my bed with the pads/bat across his shoulders and the card. Still have the baseball card. Original Poster I saw is going for around $130 on ebay as of last year if you can find it.

I still feel Bo was a better athlete than Deion.

A couple notes about Bo after watching a good chunk of this...

-Bo Jackson loves himself. He let everyone's opinion of him really inflate his ego.

-I was too young for the Jackson craze but looking at his stats in baseball, meh.

-Football wise, he seemed like he could have been great in the NFL, but he was never elite.

-The Bozworth play was not that big of a deal. Bo had a head of steam and hits Bozworth at the two. Bozworth tackled him at the goaline, it's not that he was blown up and never got him.

-The stuff that they are pimping out (HR in an all-star game, jumping over a pile against Auburn, etc.) just wasn't that impressive. I suppose it gets more impressive when you consider it was happening is multiple sports.

To me, so far, Bo Jackson seems very too full of himself to really like him. I am sure I am in the minority with this, but again, I am only judging based on an hour and a half worth of video.

Please save any absurd/misguided criticisms you may have of Bo if you never saw him play.Thx.
Look at the post, I did see him play, in what they showed, which highlighted the best of what he did.Compare that to the Barry Sanders NFL documentary and I can see a huge difference, obviously. Take off the homer glasses and realize that as the years go by he is going to inch closer and closer to Paul Bunyon status.

A couple notes about Bo after watching a good chunk of this...-Bo Jackson loves himself. He let everyone's opinion of him really inflate his ego. -I was too young for the Jackson craze but looking at his stats in baseball, meh.-Football wise, he seemed like he could have been great in the NFL, but he was never elite.-The Bozworth play was not that big of a deal. Bo had a head of steam and hits Bozworth at the two. Bozworth tackled him at the goaline, it's not that he was blown up and never got him.-The stuff that they are pimping out (HR in an all-star game, jumping over a pile against Auburn, etc.) just wasn't that impressive. I suppose it gets more impressive when you consider it was happening is multiple sports.To me, so far, Bo Jackson seems very too full of himself to really like him. I am sure I am in the minority with this, but again, I am only judging based on an hour and a half worth of video.
:fishing:

Please save any absurd/misguided criticisms you may have of Bo if you never saw him play.Thx.
Look at the post, I did see him play, in what they showed, which highlighted the best of what he did.Compare that to the Barry Sanders NFL documentary and I can see a huge difference, obviously. Take off the homer glasses and realize that as the years go by he is going to inch closer and closer to Paul Bunyon status.
Paul Bunyan is actually a great comparison He was so good he was mythicalHe was bigger than life They even made the point in the movie that his stats don't reflect his impact and prowess

Look at the post, I did see him play, in what they showed, which highlighted the best of what he did.Compare that to the Barry Sanders NFL documentary and I can see a huge difference, obviously. Take off the homer glasses and realize that as the years go by he is going to inch closer and closer to Paul Bunyan status.
Paul Bunyan is actually a great comparison He was so good he was mythicalHe was bigger than life They even made the point in the movie that his stats don't reflect his impact and prowess
Yeah I guess if you didn't grow up in that era (I did but I just didn't watch sports) that maybe you can't understand how good he could have been. I would argue with sports, how great you are is all about the numbers, and he just wasn't great.Sports to me are numbers. I don't care about how far your HRs are, I care about your strikeouts. I don't care about how fast your 40 times are, I care about your YPC (which Bo's were good). I love sports because of the ever changing numbers not the raw talent you possess.

If you don't watch those highlights and get an understanding of what a phenomenal athlete he was, you might as well be blind.

Look at the post, I did see him play, in what they showed, which highlighted the best of what he did.Compare that to the Barry Sanders NFL documentary and I can see a huge difference, obviously. Take off the homer glasses and realize that as the years go by he is going to inch closer and closer to Paul Bunyan status.
Yeah I guess if you didn't grow up in that era (I did but I just didn't watch sports) that maybe you can't understand how good he could have been. I would argue with sports, how great you are is all about the numbers, and he just wasn't great.Sports to me are numbers. I don't care about how far your HRs are, I care about your strikeouts. I don't care about how fast your 40 times are, I care about your YPC (which Bo's were good). I love sports because of the ever changing numbers not the raw talent you possess.
This is odd.

You are announcing to the world that your opinions are irrelevant going forward. You know that, right?

Yeah, you should probably just check out of this thread. If numbers told the whole story, sports wouldn't have the impact they do. To argue otherwise... it won't end well

Yeah I guess if you didn't grow up in that era (I did but I just didn't watch sports) that maybe you can't understand how good he could have been. I would argue with sports, how great you are is all about the numbers, and he just great.Sports to me are numbers. I don't care about how far your HRs are, I care about your strikeouts. I don't care about how fast your 40 times are, I care about your YPC (which Bo's were good). I love sports because of the ever changing numbers not the raw talent you possess.
You are announcing to the world that your opinions are irrelevant going forward. You know that, right?
Heaven forbid that I have a different opinion. I repeat, "He wasn't that great." It's not that I said he was awful, or mediocre, just that he wasn't great. The only thing you can go by in sports is numbers, they don't lie. His numbers were not great. Then again you are type that says Jeter is the greatest because he has the "it" factor.

Yeah I guess if you didn't grow up in that era (I did but I just didn't watch sports) that maybe you can't understand how good he could have been. I would argue with sports, how great you are is all about the numbers, and he just great.Sports to me are numbers. I don't care about how far your HRs are, I care about your strikeouts. I don't care about how fast your 40 times are, I care about your YPC (which Bo's were good). I love sports because of the ever changing numbers not the raw talent you possess.
Heaven forbid that I have a different opinion. I repeat, "He wasn't that great." It's not that I said he was awful, or mediocre, just that he wasn't great. The only thing you can go by in sports is numbers, they don't lie. His numbers were not great. Then again you are type that says Jeter is the greatest because he has the "it" factor.
The problem isn't that the opinion is different. The problem lies in the fact that its an awful one.

I agree...I think you guys are romanticising him because he was injured so early. He was just Adrian Peterson plus a ton of hype.

The thing is, he was that great. Perhaps one of the greatest ever as far as peak performance. The only knock against him is longevity and that was due to a horrible injury. To this day he ranks as one of the toolsiest baseball players ever by many scouts. Off the charts good

Yeah, you should probably just check out of this thread. If numbers told the whole story, sports wouldn't have the impact they do. To argue otherwise... it won't end well
For who, me? I will live with people not agreeing with me. It's happened before and it will happen again. I am sure I am in the minority (like I said in the first post) when it comes to this opinion. There are many reasons people watch sports. You have yours and I have mine. I do love the human element of sports as well. I also love the various feel good stories they bring but when I am going to judge a player and how great he was, I will not factor in his backstory and what could have been, into how great I think he actually was. Again, I know I am in the minority when it comes to this and I am ok with this. You guys can all continue to remissness about the greatest player to never hit 1,000 yards rushing nor have an OPS over .866.

The thing is, he was that great. Perhaps one of the greatest ever as far as peak performance. The only knock against him is longevity and that was due to a horrible injury. To this day he ranks as one of the toolsiest baseball players ever by many scouts. Off the charts good
His walk to strikeout ratio was awful and his OPS was .784 career. Tools is something older scouts say when numbers don't back up what they are seeing.

His walk to strikeout ratio was awful and his OPS was .784 career. Tools is something older scouts say when numbers don't back up what they are seeing.
This simply isn't true. I would gather you have no idea what 'tools' refers to in baseball.

'Eviloutsider said:
A couple notes about Bo after watching a good chunk of this...-Bo Jackson loves himself. He let everyone's opinion of him really inflate his ego. -I was too young for the Jackson craze but looking at his stats in baseball, meh.-Football wise, he seemed like he could have been great in the NFL, but he was never elite.-The Bozworth play was not that big of a deal. Bo had a head of steam and hits Bozworth at the two. Bozworth tackled him at the goaline, it's not that he was blown up and never got him.-The stuff that they are pimping out (HR in an all-star game, jumping over a pile against Auburn, etc.) just wasn't that impressive. I suppose it gets more impressive when you consider it was happening is multiple sports.To me, so far, Bo Jackson seems very too full of himself to really like him. I am sure I am in the minority with this, but again, I am only judging based on an hour and a half worth of video.
:rant:He was nothing short of amazing with a football in his prime.

'Eviloutsider said:
'Guster said:
'Eviloutsider said:
'Raider Nation said:
'Eviloutsider said:
'Guster said:
'Eviloutsider said:
'Raider Nation said:
you didn't get that idea from Moneyball or anything

I guess I can't expect the younger guys (under 30) to understand the promise of Bo Jackson. You can't get it just by looking at numbers or documentaries.

'Eviloutsider said:
-Football wise, he seemed like he could have been great in the NFL, but he was never elite.
He was basically a part-time running back. His skills were not only elite, they were super elite. He had some astonishing games, like the one against Seattle in '87. He never played long enough to establish awesome career stats.You want overrated? How about Marcus Allen, who was essentially ahead of Jackson on the depth chart. Nice longevity, but pedestrian stats.

Users who are viewing this thread