What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

ESPN 30 for 30 (1 Viewer)

Earl Campbell's "Still Standing" on NBCS is worth your time for sure. Earl Campbell was just an amazing force...the footage of him at UT and then into the pros is just mesmerizing. Great story about his post-football career too.

Will look for Bo 30/30 now.

I found it pretty interesting even if they didn't dig too deep. Such a compelling story.

You had to watch him to appreciate him in the NFL probably. Was finally starting to emerge from the Marcus Allen shadow when he got hurt.

Could have been an all time great in football, but his baseball ability makes him one of the best athletes of all time. To argue otherwise just seems silly.

Last edited by a moderator:
They showed the goalline run over Bosworth......but I seem to recall a different play.......where he ran up the sideline and smashed head-on into a guy, then kept on going. Was that Jackson-Bosworth or was I misremembering a moment from my youth??

Bo took one the distance down the left sideline against Seattle, but he was untouched. Play started right before he reversed his field and looked like he wa shot out of a cannon just running away from everyone.

Edit: that was the play where he just kept running and went out the tunnel.

'Warrior said:
I agree...I think you guys are romanticising him because he was injured so early. He was just Adrian Peterson plus a ton of hype.
Romanticising? The guy returned to the bigs with an artificial hip and went yard in his first at bat. That is preposterous.

I'd like to know more about Bo ending up with the Raiders.

If Bo was going to play football why not let everyone know and get more money by going much earlier in the draft? Was the whole thing orchestrated between Bo and the Raiders prior to the draft? What type of money did Bo get out of the gate from the Raiders?

Also if Bo was going to play baseball full-time why not make that more well known? Maybe get drafted higher then the 4th. Where was Steinbrenner in all of this at that point?

The whole thing is odd for an athlete who already had a Heisman trophy on his resume. Either Bo orchestrated it and went exactly where he wanted to or the front-office's across the NFL and MLB were asleep at the wheel.

Bo Jackson was the greatest athlete I ever saw play sports. Saber geeks that never saw him trying to dismiss him make me laugh. In terms of baseball, he had perhaps the strongest arm of all time and covered a ton of ground in the outfield. In terms of football, the guy never went to training camp and used to jump right into the games with barely a practice. He was a huge RB with speed and strength.

In terms of pure athlete, I think perhaps only Dave Winfield comes close (drafted by 4 teams in 3 sports).

One advantage to having a pack rat for a mother is that I'm pretty sure my Bo Cross Trainers are still in the basement of my parents' house :thumbup:

One of the most memorable football games I ever went to was Auburn/Georgia with Bo and Herschel. I had a t-shirt from that game with an Auburn #34 player facing a Georgia #34 player all suited up with the title "Go For It".

His fullback at Auburn was Tommie Agee, who later went on to play for the Cowboys and be the fullback for Emmitt Smith prior to Darryl Johnston. Tommie was from the area I was and we knew his family. Tommie and Bo were roommates at Auburn. He was always a good guy and he was pretty much asked to make sure Bo didn't get in any trouble. He had some great stories.

I also saw him in later on in spring training in 1989 at Baseball City. The guy was a rock star. George Brett and Bo come out of the locker room at the same time and people swarm Bo while Brett just walks mostly with few people even noticing him.

4.21 was hand-timed, but I've seen numerous pros claim he was legit mid-4.2. I know he raced Herschel in the 60 in college and hung with him, and Hershel held the world record. And both guys were 230 pounds!

Not sure if they showed....but I always loved the story of Howie Long and how they Raiders defensive players reacted when Bo hit practice for the first time....the future HOFer said it was jaw-dropping.

Favorite quote....Tracy Rocker was asked how good Barry Sanders was....and he said 'quickest moves I've ever seen'....a reporter then asks 'better than Bo in practice?'.....Rocker responds 'Yep....better than.....shoot.....Bo don't practice!'

The quintessential summary of Hu Culverhouses idiocy.

bo was one of the best i have ever seen and i have been at this a long time i mean when they talk about how a guy looks like a man amungst boys that is how i would describe it there were times when it was noticeable how much better he was than anyone else on the field and it is very sad that you never got to see that play out he way it should have in fact it was exactly like the beatles like they said on the 30 30 show what a loss

I found it pretty interesting even if they didn't dig too deep. Such a compelling story.You had to watch him to appreciate him in the NFL probably. Was finally starting to emerge from the Marcus Allen shadow when he got hurt. Could have been an all time great in football, but his baseball ability makes him one of the best athletes of all time. To argue otherwise just seems silly.
They touched on his tools for baseball. He was an 80 runner, 80 power and plus arm if not 80. He appears to be a good defender and he was starting to get the hit tool before he got hurt as his k/bb dropped that year. Those core tools are once and a generation.

'Eviloutsider said:
'Guster said:
'Eviloutsider said:
'Raider Nation said:
'Eviloutsider said:
'Guster said:
'Eviloutsider said:
'Raider Nation said:
Please save any absurd/misguided criticisms you may have of Bo if you never saw him play.Thx.
Look at the post, I did see him play, in what they showed, which highlighted the best of what he did.Compare that to the Barry Sanders NFL documentary and I can see a huge difference, obviously. Take off the homer glasses and realize that as the years go by he is going to inch closer and closer to Paul Bunyan status.
Paul Bunyan is actually a great comparison He was so good he was mythicalHe was bigger than life They even made the point in the movie that his stats don't reflect his impact and prowess
Yeah I guess if you didn't grow up in that era (I did but I just didn't watch sports) that maybe you can't understand how good he could have been. I would argue with sports, how great you are is all about the numbers, and he just great.Sports to me are numbers. I don't care about how far your HRs are, I care about your strikeouts. I don't care about how fast your 40 times are, I care about your YPC (which Bo's were good). I love sports because of the ever changing numbers not the raw talent you possess.
You are announcing to the world that your opinions are irrelevant going forward. You know that, right?
Heaven forbid that I have a different opinion. I repeat, "He wasn't that great." It's not that I said he was awful, or mediocre, just that he wasn't great. The only thing you can go by in sports is numbers, they don't lie. His numbers were not great. Then again you are type that says Jeter is the greatest because he has the "it" factor.
The thing is, he was that great. Perhaps one of the greatest ever as far as peak performance. The only knock against him is longevity and that was due to a horrible injury. To this day he ranks as one of the toolsiest baseball players ever by many scouts. Off the charts good
His walk to strikeout ratio was awful and his OPS was .784 career. Tools is something older scouts say when numbers don't back up what they are seeing.
you didn't get that idea from Moneyball or anything
Not from Moneyball but from Bill James.

I thought it was pretty good. Totally ESPN, but it was cool remembering some of that stuff. He was insane. And whoever's in here defending the BOS gets a hearty lol from me.

Seemed like we'd start seeing more and more guys like that at the time, but no not really. I can't think of any athlete that's impressed me as much as Bo Jackson, save maybe Jordan with all the damn winning.

:kicksrock: The Bo story brought a tear to my eye. Easily my favorite athlete growing up. Oh, what could have been but it was beautiful while it lasted. And good for him for telling Tampa Bay to go f themselves. I didn't know the backstory of the flight that ruined his baseball eligibility senior year.

I'd like to know more about Bo ending up with the Raiders.If Bo was going to play football why not let everyone know and get more money by going much earlier in the draft? Was the whole thing orchestrated between Bo and the Raiders prior to the draft? What type of money did Bo get out of the gate from the Raiders?Also if Bo was going to play baseball full-time why not make that more well known? Maybe get drafted higher then the 4th. Where was Steinbrenner in all of this at that point?The whole thing is odd for an athlete who already had a Heisman trophy on his resume. Either Bo orchestrated it and went exactly where he wanted to or the front-office's across the NFL and MLB were asleep at the wheel.
Most MLB teams thought he was bluffing when he said he wouldn't play for Tampa, so nobody wanted to risk a top pick for him. The Yankees had drafted him in the 2nd round in 1982 but they lost their rights to him.Bo could have pulled an Eli Manning but that's just not the kind of person he was. (Plus, I think he was so mad at Tampa that he did not want them to benefit from trading him.)When the Raiders drafted him in 1987, Al Davis promised him that he could play baseball full time and then report to the Raiders after baseball season. Davis also offered a much bigger contract than Tampa did.Any team in the NFL could have done what Al Davis did, but none of them thought it was possible to simultaneously play in the NFL and MLB. So yeah, they were all asleep at the wheel.

I'd love to watch this one, but the MNF game against the Seahawks still makes me sick. I didn't go to school the next day either. Later on, I had been doing therapy with a former Tae Kwon Do instructor turned pro-trainer (he was a jehri curled, Phoenix version of Billy Blanks) who'd had both hips replaced and Bo came in to start his therapy. Felt weird to be next to Bo and doing more squat thrusts than him. Of course he was still on crutches and I could only do about 5...

As all the interviewees were goign through all the Bo Jackson "legends"...I kept thinking about the old SNL skit about Bill Brasky!!!

He really needs to clean up his basement.
My thought was "with all that money, why isn't his basement finished?"
A couple notes about Bo after watching a good chunk of this...-The Bozworth play was not that big of a deal. Bo had a head of steam and hits Bozworth at the two. Bozworth tackled him at the goaline, it's not that he was blown up and never got him.
You had to be there for the hype leading up to the game. They mentioned in during the show, but it was understated. I don't remember the details, but the whole week leading up to it, everyone was anticipating what would happen in a one on one showdown. The highlight itself in a vacuum doesn't look like much, a big rb meeting a linebacker and falling forward. There was so much more to the play though, and essentially destroyed the image the "Boz" was building for himself and turned him into a joke. That's a big play for what was supposed to be the next great linebacker.
Um, any talk in the show about Tecmo Bowl?
They did, even had Techmo Bowl "highlights" of his play and mentioned how he only had one play, because it would have been unfair to give him more than one. :lol:

A couple notes about Bo after watching a good chunk of this...-The Bozworth play was not that big of a deal. Bo had a head of steam and hits Bozworth at the two. Bozworth tackled him at the goaline, it's not that he was blown up and never got him.
You had to be there for the hype leading up to the game. They mentioned in during the show, but it was understated. I don't remember the details, but the whole week leading up to it, everyone was anticipating what would happen in a one on one showdown. The highlight itself in a vacuum doesn't look like much, a big rb meeting a linebacker and falling forward. There was so much more to the play though, and essentially destroyed the image the "Boz" was building for himself and turned him into a joke. That's a big play for what was supposed to be the next great linebacker.
:lmao:

:lmao:
:shrug:

It's just weird that the "What If" stuff is so maginified for Bo.

If we give him every liberty, by pro-rating his stats and comparing him to his peers only for the portions of the seasons he played. He's a top 5 back for THAT era, but not in any way the consensus choice. He's behind Dickerson and Thomas by any metric. And that's Indianapolis Dickerson, not L.A. Dickerson. And again, that's giving Bo every benefit of the doubt without penalalizing him for missing a third of every season. He didn't score many touchdowns (although he almost always had the longest run in a given NFL season). He wasn't a receiver out of the backfield. Nobody thinks James Brooks should be in the HoF, but he was every bit as productive as Bo was over that time.

He may have been a five-tool baseball prospect, but he was only a slightly above average MLB player. A corner outfielder with power and a strong arm but who was also prone to errors and couldn't get on base. He was hardly a one of a kind power/speed guy at the time considering Eric Davis, Bonds, and Canseco were playing at the same time.

I enjoyed watching Bo play. But I never felt like I was watching HoF running back or a HoF baseball player. I felt like I was watching a great athlete who wasn't instinctive enough to be a legendary football player and simply wasn't good enough to be a particularly memorable baseball player.

I'd love to watch this one, but the MNF game against the Seahawks still makes me sick. I didn't go to school the next day either. Later on, I had been doing therapy with a former Tae Kwon Do instructor turned pro-trainer (he was a jehri curled, Phoenix version of Billy Blanks) who'd had both hips replaced and Bo came in to start his therapy. Felt weird to be next to Bo and doing more squat thrusts than him. Of course he was still on crutches and I could only do about 5...
You didn't go to school because of how a football game turned out?

I saw Bo play baseball about a dozen times. Truly unbelievable. I saw him hit the line drive off of Nolan Ryan's face. I saw him take a lead off third, pitcher goes for the pickoff and Bo takes off for home. He beat the throw and went in standing up. One of those, "Wait....what the hell was THAT?" kind of plays.

One of my favorite stories is how Charles Barkley showed up at AUburn and decided to walk on playing football. He met with the coach and said, "I'm the best running back in the state of Alabama." Went to one practice and quit. I think he says in his biography, "It took me one practice to realize I was actually the second best running back in Alabama."

They showed the goalline run over Bosworth......but I seem to recall a different play.......where he ran up the sideline and smashed head-on into a guy, then kept on going. Was that Jackson-Bosworth or was I misremembering a moment from my youth??
You're talking about this play against Denver, but I too thought the trucking of Boz was worse than that goal line play. Must've been some other RB running over Boz. :) I remember the

play like it was yesterday. Threw a seed from 300+ feet on a frozen rope to home. Sick. Bob Boone the catcher said he was walking off the field for the loss when he turned and looked and seen the ball coming and he had to get back to home plate to make the play. :lol:

Who knows how good of a football player or baseball player Bo would have been of he just concentrated on one sport, but I do know he was an athletic freak that did things I've never seen anyone else do. Things that took your breath away.

Call me when Adrian Peterson throws a guy out at home from the warning track.
My wife is a little too young to remember watching him, so I described him as if Adrian Peterson and the less polished version of Bryce Harper were the same guy.
That's a pretty fair (and not hyperbolic) comparison. I realize that people too young to remember Bo think some of us are embellishing things. But we aren't. The only athlete more impressive than Bo Jackson was Tecmo Bo Jackson, who is still the most dominant video game sports character of all time.

Call me when Adrian Peterson throws a guy out at home from the warning track.
My wife is a little too young to remember watching him, so I described him as if Adrian Peterson and the less polished version of Bryce Harper were the same guy.
That's a pretty fair (and not hyperbolic) comparison. I realize that people too young to remember Bo think some of us are embellishing things. But we aren't. The only athlete more impressive than Bo Jackson was Tecmo Bo Jackson, who is still the most dominant video game sports character of all time.
The Bryce Harper of spring and early summer had ridiculous power and a ridiculous arm, but a huge hole in his swing a la Bo. Harper played enough ball throughout his life that he was able to adjust at the big league level very quickly, Bo never did that. But in terms of the scouting potential, it was the same or even better. During the episode Jason Parks of Baseball Prospectus was answering twitter questions about Bo as a prospect and every proposed comp came up short.

He didn't score many touchdowns (although he almost always had the longest run in a given NFL season). He wasn't a receiver out of the backfield.
I did find it odd that they showed two different TD receptions and maybe another non-TD reception as part of his highlights. I thought to myself, "Huh, didn't remember him being a good receiver." Yeah, apparently, those were his only two TD receptions and he finished his career averaging 1.1 receptions per game.I don't say that to take anything away from him; I just found it odd that they showed receiving highlights.

I enjoyed the 30 for 30 special on Bo Jackson, but they didn't show two incredible highlights that I remembered. Both were from his time with the Royals. The first was a play when he was on second base and the man at bat hit a long fly to center field. Bo takes off, makes it all the way or most of the way to third base (I think he is actually touching the bag), realizes the ball will be caught, dashes back to second, tags and then hauls ### back to third. The second was when Bo was at bat. He raises his right hand towards the umpire, asking for time, but the ump doesn't grant his request. The pitcher throws and Bo puts his right hand back on the bat and hits a homer. I could not find a video of either in a quick youtube search.

But this raises the question of the accuracy of memory, some of which has been discussed above. Perhaps my memory of those events is faulty. For instance, I recalled the Bo-Bosworth goalline play as Jackson completely running over Boz who was in perfect position to make the tackle. In the movie the play was shown and it was not as dramatic as I had recalled. Bosworth was not in position, but slightly off to the side. Bo hit him and knocked Bosworth back a ways and got in the end zone, but it was not the utter domination that was in my (faulty) memory. I was very happy at the time (and still am) because I loved Jackson and hated Bosworth, so it's possible that my recollection was affected by my predisposition towards each of the participants. Maybe some of the other recollections in the movie are similarly skewed?

I enjoyed the show. Basically saw what great athletic attributes combined with marketing did for Bo. I was a kid when Bo was a pro and though he was great on the field, the marketing off was why he got uber exposure. Not taking anything away from him by my comment. Genius campaign by Nike but Bo was still a physical marvel. Im shocked that he didnt lift weight very much.And yes, the 1st expensive shoes my mom ever bought me where the Bo trainers.. had the poster above my bed with the pads/bat across his shoulders and the card. Still have the baseball card. Original Poster I saw is going for around $130 on ebay as of last year if you can find it.I still feel Bo was a better athlete than Deion.
I was a huge Bo Jackson fan and told Santa I wanted Bo Jackson sneaks or Air Jordan's for Christmas. Being 8 or 9 years old couldn't wait to for christmas because Santa was pretty good to me previous years. So I go to open up my new sneaks to find out that Santa brought me something better thatn Bo Trainers or Air Jordan's. What could it be?How bout Jordache sneakers. My dad must of saw the sadness in my face and tried to sell me on the idea tha Michael Jordan owned Jordache sneakers. I bought the story and the next day a few kids were picking on me because I retold that same story. When I got home I did what any 9 year old kid would do by hiding the sneakers. My Mom and Dad looked everywhere for them and new that I did something with them but I never gave it up. The story ended with my dad coughing up the money and buying me the Bo Trainers. I was the cool kid at school the next day as I was the only 3rd grader that had them.Fast fwd to the following summer.....My Dad found those very same Jordace sneakers from K-Mart in the Barbecue Grill under charcoal.

It's just weird that the "What If" stuff is so maginified for Bo. If we give him every liberty, by pro-rating his stats and comparing him to his peers only for the portions of the seasons he played. He's a top 5 back for THAT era, but not in any way the consensus choice. He's behind Dickerson and Thomas by any metric. And that's Indianapolis Dickerson, not L.A. Dickerson. And again, that's giving Bo every benefit of the doubt without penalalizing him for missing a third of every season. He didn't score many touchdowns (although he almost always had the longest run in a given NFL season). He wasn't a receiver out of the backfield. Nobody thinks James Brooks should be in the HoF, but he was every bit as productive as Bo was over that time.
:fishing:Jackson averaged more yards per game than Thomas while starting half as many games and having 250 fewer carries.

It's just weird that the "What If" stuff is so maginified for Bo. If we give him every liberty, by pro-rating his stats and comparing him to his peers only for the portions of the seasons he played. He's a top 5 back for THAT era, but not in any way the consensus choice. He's behind Dickerson and Thomas by any metric. And that's Indianapolis Dickerson, not L.A. Dickerson. And again, that's giving Bo every benefit of the doubt without penalalizing him for missing a third of every season. He didn't score many touchdowns (although he almost always had the longest run in a given NFL season). He wasn't a receiver out of the backfield. Nobody thinks James Brooks should be in the HoF, but he was every bit as productive as Bo was over that time.
:fishing:Jackson averaged more yards per game than Thomas while starting half as many games and having 250 fewer carries.
Plus neither Dickerson nor Thomas had Marcus Allen on their team

What years are you comparing? Are you including receiving stats?Starting half as many games can actually make it easier to have a higher yards per game.

Users who are viewing this thread