What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

David Hawthorne (1 Viewer)

DeadhorseGM

Footballguy
Listening to the IDP rountable earlier today, Norton said that is Tatupu's injury was significant we should "jump on" David Hawthorne based on what he's done in the past including his week 3, 15 tackle performance. Well, Tatupu may or may not be out for the season at this point but my question is this:

Is Hawthorne a better bet to produce for the rest of the season (if Tatupu is gone) than say a Kieth Brooking or a Chad Greenway?

Did that several weeks ago in 2 leagues. Curious to see what he goes for in leagues.

In one he went for $10 on 9-30.

How does this relate to Greenway or Brooking? Are they available? :lmao:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm curious as to who the better play between Curry and Hawthorne may be? Is Hawthorne an every down guy now?

I think that's the question with hill coming back.

in week one, tatupu and hill stayed in while curry came out.

in week 3, hawthorne and curry stayed in, but the only other LB to play was herring.

If Hawthorne is playing in the middle as he did before and he was wearing the headset and calling all of the defensive plays he will not be coming out on 3rd down. Obviously like everyone else this is just mho.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did that several weeks ago in 2 leagues. Curious to see what he goes for in leagues.In one he went for $10 on 9-30.How does this relate to Greenway or Brooking? Are they available? :lmao:
Well, Brooking is available in my league but I guess I was just looking at guys who might be LB 3/4 worthy for the remainder of the season. In Hawthorne's case, possibly even LB2 upside if he indeed is playing 3 downs.

If Hawthorne is playing in the middle as he did before and he was wearing the headset and calling all of the defensive plays he will not be coming out on 3rd down. Obviously like everyone else this is just mho.
to me its pretty easy to see Hill will be wearing the headset and would be joined by Curry in Nickel packages. Hill's health/rust being Hawthorne's only shot at being a 3down LB'er. Hill does have a extra week from the bye to work things out. Hawthorne likely will be competeing for tackles with less snaps and more talent around him than before when he exploded.like someone mentioned Hill and Curry were the Nickel LB'ers when season started. simply they are the teams best cover and blitzing LB'ers.

to me its pretty easy to see Hill will be wearing the headset and would be joined by Curry in Nickel packages. Hill's health/rust being Hawthorne's only shot at being a 3down LB'er. Hill does have a extra week from the bye to work things out. Hawthorne likely will be competeing for tackles with less snaps and more talent around him than before when he exploded.like someone mentioned Hill and Curry were the Nickel LB'ers when season started. simply they are the teams best cover and blitzing LB'ers.
At the start of the season I think Lofa and Hill were the nickel backers. Lofa never comes off the field when healthy.

I think your going to want Hill over Hawthorne unless the Game is a blowout
I saw a note that Hill was practising and expected to play but only on 1st and second down.I would think that would kill his value if true.
Mora said it will beI really don't want to sit Hawthorne, but it will be a tough decision for me on who to bench this week.
it sounds as if both Hill and Trufant will be eased back in this week.

I saw a note that Hill was practising and expected to play but only on 1st and second down.I would think that would kill his value if true.
Mora said it will beI really don't want to sit Hawthorne, but it will be a tough decision for me on who to bench this week.
it sounds as if both Hill and Trufant will be eased back in this week.
thanks for the link... maybe for a game or 2 they get eased in, but I can't see a 46 mil LB coming off the field on 1st and 2nd dwns all yr.

I don't agree with that after watching him play the last game. Hill will take a few tackles but the MLB is more valuable there.
what?? when he played the majority of the game when Tatupu got hurt versus the cards he was unnoticeable. The Cards offense rolled up the hawks D and Hawthorne was a 3down MLB'er and he finished with 4solo's, and that was without a talent as such as Hill playing outside. u must be thinking of his start early in the year. in the game he exploded versus the bears there were 37touches by RB/TE's and no Hill and a not to confident Aaron Curry. since then Hill has returned(may be limited tho) and a confident play-making Aaron Curry has emerged.

I don't agree with that after watching him play the last game. Hill will take a few tackles but the MLB is more valuable there.
what?? when he played the majority of the game when Tatupu got hurt versus the cards he was unnoticeable. The Cards offense rolled up the hawks D and Hawthorne was a 3down MLB'er and he finished with 4solo's, and that was without a talent as such as Hill playing outside. u must be thinking of his start early in the year. in the game he exploded versus the bears there were 37touches by RB/TE's and no Hill and a not to confident Aaron Curry. since then Hill has returned(may be limited tho) and a confident play-making Aaron Curry has emerged.
There was 2:13 left in the first half when Hawthorne went in. The Cards then ran 7 pass plays with 4 completions, 1 incompletion and 2 sacks when halftime came. 4 solos playing 56% of downs isn't bad, but Lofa did have 7-1 with his 44%.

You're guessing here as am I. I hate it when people make absolute statements when they are just educated guesses. You don't know what will happen. This is like people betting on stocks based on past chart lines. The past does not predict the future.I want to see what he will do with a whole week of practice knowing this will his best chance at getting a lot of money if he succeeds.

So, is Hawthorne the man again?

Can we expect big things from him in the next couple weeks?

In 2 starts he is averaging over 25+ points per game in my league.

I do not think Lofa's job is in danger long term, but they may look to trade him to a team that needs a MLB or they can keep him on the bench as a high quality back up provided he keeps up this kind of production.

In 2 starts he is averaging over 25+ points per game in my league. I do not think Lofa's job is in danger long term, but they may look to trade him to a team that needs a MLB or they can keep him on the bench as a high quality back up provided he keeps up this kind of production.
:missing: There was speculation to that effect but coming back from an injury complicates matters somewhat. It is a torn muscle not a knee so who knows.

1 Forced Fumble5 Tackles3 Assists 2.0 Sacked a QB 1 Passes Defensed
I know that's a great stat line, but he played a couple games where he saw around 45 snaps and only managed around 4 tackles ---- now if you subtract out the 2 sacks this week, he's looking at 3-3.if it was a guy I was expecting to get sacks, like harrison, I wouldn't look at it that way, but sacks probably won't come around every week, and tackles should be his bread and butter.this week is an underwhelming detroit team IN sea ---- should I set the bar low?

Kool-Aid Larry said:
I know that's a great stat line, but he played a couple games where he saw around 45 snaps and only managed around 4 tackles ---- now if you subtract out the 2 sacks this week, he's looking at 3-3.if it was a guy I was expecting to get sacks, like harrison, I wouldn't look at it that way, but sacks probably won't come around every week, and tackles should be his bread and butter.this week is an underwhelming detroit team IN sea ---- should I set the bar low?
I think if you're going to take away his sacks you should still at least acknowledge them as tackles, which would still give him 5-3.

Kool-Aid Larry said:
I think if you're going to take away his sacks you should still at least acknowledge them as tackles, which would still give him 5-3.
A sack also counts as a tackle, so he would only have had 3 solos if he had no sacks.

Kool-Aid Larry said:
A sack also counts as a tackle, so he would only have had 3 solos if he had no sacks.
I was counting the 2 sacks as included in his 5 tackles.anyway, I love getting big plays from my mlb, but if I don't think I can expect them often, I'd hope for a few more tackles is what i'm saying.for example, if lofton was just getting 5 tackles every week, I don't think he'd be much of a hot property.guess we'll see on sunday --- I'm keeping my fingers crossed that detroit manages more than 50 snaps.

I'm not exactly sure how to phrase this, but I don't think we can just throw out those two tackles because they were sacks. Because most leagues give more points for sacks than just tackles alone, his fantasy numbers look better because of those sacks. But if we're going to give him a fair assessment of his numbers minus the sacks, I think you still have to give him credit for them as tackles. For example, if he made a tackle on those plays a little beyond the line of scrimmage as opposed to behind it.It's hard to explain, but like Kool-Aid said if he was just getting 5 tackles he still wouldn't be as sought after. It's almost double the 3 tackles, but still puts things into perspective.

How can you say "but what if" about sacks? That is like saying if you take away all those "lucky" long touchdown runs by Chris Johnson, he is average.

True the big play is not reliable, but at one point in the 3rd qtr, Dallas only had about 15 runs, he is the MLB, not likely he is making a lot of tackles on passes, no MLB does.

I think you're working backwards.

unless you're trying to convince me hawthorne finishes the year with 16 sacks.

my suggestion is that rather than confuse yourselves by trying to translate a post into some other post, you should just read the original post --- that would probably be easier.

Either way, Hawthorne should be a top 10 scoring LB (easily) for the rest of the year.

I picked him up and started him last week over Beason. He was projected by yahoo to score 3 points, he scored 20.

cacksman said:
Either way, Hawthorne should be a top 10 scoring LB (easily) for the rest of the year.I picked him up and started him last week over Beason. He was projected by yahoo to score 3 points, he scored 20.
I hope you're right but that means benching one of their highly paid LB'ers on passing downs. If he is a 2 down player it will be hard to be top 10. Hill is probably the best pass defender. Would they bench him or Curry?

The Man With No Name said:
cacksman said:
Either way, Hawthorne should be a top 10 scoring LB (easily) for the rest of the year.I picked him up and started him last week over Beason. He was projected by yahoo to score 3 points, he scored 20.
You have high hopes for him, but I wouldn't count on him being top 20.
I'd be nervous about him only playing two downs when Hill is back to normal. That is a situation to monitor.

I understand your concerns regarding that statline,but I don't believe Dallas affords a lot of opportunity for big tackle games from the MLB. I know Lofton only had 3tackles and 2 assists against them. Regarding some of the other games. IIRC he came in late after lofa got hurt in both the 49ers (4 tackles,2 assists)and cardinals (4 tackles) games. His only other start was the monster game against CHI. 15 tackles 1 assist 1 int 1 pass def. I don't expect a guy to come in off the bench and put up #'s as if he is the starter. There is something to be said for getting reps all week with the 1st team and gettin into the flow of the game from the beginning.

The Man With No Name said:
cacksman said:
He is the one who wears the headset and calls the plays, would he really only be a 2 down LB? (serious question)I for one, think Tatupu is a little overrated. It's hard to see his contribution as he usually does a great job at getting people in their correct positions (something that is hard to tell on the tv), but Hawthorne is definitely the bigger playmaker.

He is the one who wears the headset and calls the plays, would he really only be a 2 down LB? (serious question)I for one, think Tatupu is a little overrated. It's hard to see his contribution as he usually does a great job at getting people in their correct positions (something that is hard to tell on the tv), but Hawthorne is definitely the bigger playmaker.
:popcorn:

Users who are viewing this thread