What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

****Offical 2009 World Series Thread**** (1 Viewer)

Well, you've sort of jumped the gun. Yankees haven't won the AL yet.

My GF is a Yankees fan, and wants to go out to Halloween parties as the World Series.

And as I type this, it's the 4th of July again in my neighborhood.

Well, you've sort of jumped the gun. Yankees haven't won the AL yet.My GF is a Yankees fan, and wants to go out to Halloween parties as the World Series. And as I type this, it's the 4th of July again in my neighborhood.
I don't mind a jinx on the Yanks and I'm not sure there is any Angels fans here to offend.

If this is indeed the matchup, Indians fans will have the pleasure of watching two of their former Cy Young winners pitch against each other in Game 1 of the World Series. Oof.

RedRaiders said:
It's going to be pretty awesome having the entire country outside of NY/Northern NJ pulling for a Philadelphia team.
This SJ guy already roots for the good guys :thumbdown:

wadegarrett said:
GroveDiesel said:
If this is indeed the matchup, Indians fans will have the pleasure of watching two of their former Cy Young winners pitch against each other in Game 1 of the World Series. Oof.
This Indians fan won't.
This Indians fan will.

crewmember said:
stevegamer said:
Well, you've sort of jumped the gun. Yankees haven't won the AL yet.My GF is a Yankees fan, and wants to go out to Halloween parties as the World Series. And as I type this, it's the 4th of July again in my neighborhood.
I don't mind a jinx on the Yanks and I'm not sure there is any Angels fans here to offend.
:reported:

What will the o/u be for arrests on Sunday Nov 1st? 1 PM Giants at Eagles; 8 PM Yanks at Phils..

Tailgating all day for both... NY fans + Eagle fans..

That parking lot will have more tools than a Home Depot warehouse..

What will the o/u be for arrests on Sunday Nov 1st? 1 PM Giants at Eagles; 8 PM Yanks at Phils..Tailgating all day for both... NY fans + Eagle fans.. That parking lot will have more tools than a Home Depot warehouse..
ooof, that could be ugly.

RedRaiders said:
It's going to be pretty awesome having the entire country outside of NY/Northern NJ pulling for a Philadelphia team.
This SJ guy already roots for the good guys :pokey:
When are you SJ guys gonna just secede from the rest of the state? You give us normal guys up north a bad name with your Philly accents and awful pizza... :goodposting:

This SJ guy already roots for the good guys :)
When are you SJ guys gonna just secede from the rest of the state? You give us normal guys up north a bad name with your Philly accents and awful pizza... :goodposting:
North Jersey is just a bunch of New York wannabees anyway... still haven't convinced NY to move forward with the annexation? :popcorn:

Both teams are almost identical. Both have a phenomenal lineup, play in good HR hitting ballparks, have dominant lefty aces, have good starters. Yanks had the advantage in the bullpen before the playoffs but Phils bullpen is currently better right now. Ill say Yanks in 7

Hey Philly fans......

Can we just take a moment to laugh at the Mets... Too bad they didn't stick around a little this year so the Phillys could steal their lunch money again at the last moment...

I don't want those fans on my bandwagon.

May the best team win :lmao:

Hey Philly fans......Can we just take a moment to laugh at the Mets... Too bad they didn't stick around a little this year so the Phillys could steal their lunch money again at the last moment...I don't want those fans on my bandwagon.May the best team win :banned:
Pedro vs the Yankees is gonna be especially painful for them to watch

Hey Philly fans......Can we just take a moment to laugh at the Mets... Too bad they didn't stick around a little this year so the Phillys could steal their lunch money again at the last moment...I don't want those fans on my bandwagon.May the best team win :banned:
Pedro vs the Yankees is gonna be especially painful for them to watch
I think most of em are jumping on the Yankees bandwagon in droves....I also think the Yanks light up Pedro... So, they should be happy.

Both teams are almost identical. Both have a phenomenal lineup, play in good HR hitting ballparks, have dominant lefty aces, have good starters. Yanks had the advantage in the bullpen before the playoffs but Phils bullpen is currently better right now. Ill say Yanks in 7
:unsure: Phils have the edge at every position except 3B and C (although Chooch is a post-season legend).

:confused: Phils have the edge at every position except 3B and C (although Chooch is a post-season legend).
Part of it is, some of the places the Phils have an edge (2B, RF) is by a small amount whereas the Yankee edge at C and 3B is extremely large. Also, Derek Jeter and Mark Teixeira are better than Rollins and Howard. Not by a lot, but they are better.Lastly, I think the Yankees have a small starting pitching edge and a rather large advantage in the bullpen.

Fact is, they both have playoff-tested pitchers with big-game resumes, power-hitting lineups who also can take a walk and hit for average, and veteran leadership that has been there before. I think that might be what Joba meant.

Posada > Ruiz

Teixeira > Howard

Cano < Utley

Jeter > Rollins

ARod >>> Feliz

Damon = Ibanez

Melky < Victorino

Swisher < Werth

Matsui > Francisco/Stairs

Sabathia > Lee

Burnett = Pedro

Pettitte = Hamels

Hughes/Joba/Robertson/Coke = Madson/Park/Happ/Durbin

Mariano >>> Lidge

So the Yankees have a big edge at 2 spots, and a normal edge at 5 spots. The Phils have no big edge, and a normal edge at 3 spots. They are equal at 4 spots. If you disagree with this, why?

:goodposting: Phils have the edge at every position except 3B and C (although Chooch is a post-season legend).
the Phils have an edge (2B, RF) by a small amount Mark Teixeira better than Howard
:goodposting:

This just might be more nerve racking that the 2000 Series. There aren't a ton of Mets fans where I live but the Phillies fans outnumber everyone else. Stress is already commencing. As it is, Wednesday Night I won't be home but instead will be in a Phillies house - and I'm sure there will be talk. Ugh.

Overall, two solid solid teams with little to target as a trump weakness. Yankees have to hold serve at home. A loss in the first 2 games might just start a snowball that doesn't stop as AJ hasn't exactly been reliable nor proven he can shut down a team like this in the playoffs. If CC can come out and pitch a scoreless 7 1/3 then I trust the bullpen to lock down game 1. Beyond that, game on. Though, if the bottom of the lineup can produce and the top stays hot - mixed with Tex getting going - this is going to be fun.

What's the record for most homeruns hit by both WS teams in the series? Because this series - given the parks - just might obliterate that record.

Posada > RuizTeixeira > HowardCano < UtleyJeter > RollinsARod >>> FelizDamon = IbanezMelky < VictorinoSwisher < WerthMatsui > Francisco/StairsSabathia > LeeBurnett = PedroPettitte = HamelsHughes/Joba/Robertson/Coke = Madson/Park/Happ/DurbinMariano >>> Lidge
And don't forget...$208MM >>> $111MMM

New York Yankees Salaries - 2009

Team Payroll (US$)

1. NY Yankees 208,097,414

2. NY Mets 145,367,987

3. Chicago Cubs 134,058,500

4. Boston 122,435,399

5. Detroit 119,160,145

6. LA Angels 118,964,000

7. Seattle 112,053,666

8. Philadelphia 111,209,046

9. Houston 102,996,414

10. Chicago Sox 100,598,500

11. LA Dodgers 100,008,592

12. Atlanta 94,313,666

13. St. Louis 87,703,409

14. San Francisco 82,616,450

15. Kansas City 81,384,553

16. Milwaukee 80,182,502

17. Cincinnati 73,558,500

18. Arizona 73,516,666

19. Texas 73,439,238

20. Toronto 72,563,200

21. Colorado 72,428,000

22. Tampa Bay 68,230,934

23. Minnesota 67,634,766

24. Cleveland 66,757,366

25. Washington 62,001,000

26. Baltimore 61,885,566

27. Oakland 56,089,250

28. San Diego 37,800,800

29. Florida 35,774,000

30. Pittsburgh 25,197,000

Note:Team salaries do not represent full team payroll. Amount listed includes current salary for all players currently on the roster.

Posada > Ruiz

I can sign for that, but it's very close.

Teixeira > Howard

This is a push - especially in the parks they are going to be playing in.

Cano < Utley

I'll get heat on this, but I see this one closer then most, although you do have to give the edge to Utley.

Jeter > Rollins

Agreed, although, again, Rollins is no slouch and this closer then many Yankee fans will admit.

ARod >>> Feliz

At leats on an order of three magnitude - possibly 5.

Damon = Ibanez

Yankee stadium helps Damon, but Ibanez - if he comes back to that uber form he had earlier - is the better player here - especially when you factor in defense because all Ibanez has to do to be better is breathe.

Melky < Victorino

I would bump that up slightly to a 2 magnitude.

Swisher < Werth

I'm not very familiar with Werth so I'll agree - and how can you not? Nick hasn't been lights out here lately but if he comes back to April form?????

Matsui > Francisco/Stairs

I'm not in love with Hideki anymore and just hope for some solid line drives, taking every else as a plus. I wouldn't say this is a lock gap - probably closer then you think.

Sabathia > Lee

You hope. But Lee has been a stud and the best pickup this year. These two former Indians could very well put on a clinic for 8 1/3 and make all the hitters look like the Mets.

Burnett = Pedro

The simple fact that this is not a joke means that Pedro actually gets the edge until AJ can give a strong performace - I'm talking 7 shutout innings of dominant stuff. Until he shows that, the edge is Pedro's.

Pettitte = Hamels

My blinders are on here but of all the pitchers in the last 15 years that have worn the uniform, I trust Pettite the most no matter the situation. For that, I am confident in this one that Pettite will outperform, but stepping back equal is probably the good call here.

Hughes/Joba/Robertson/Coke = Madson/Park/Happ/Durbin

Hey, you forget Aceves! :coffee: I will grant that the pen wasn't lights out in the ALCS, but they did win in 6 and didn't implode and I think the better stuff here is clearly in the pinstripes. I would give the dvantage - a small one - to the Yanks.

Mariano >>> Lidge

Agreed. Frankly, I would make that a magnitude of 5 as well.

I don't think you are far off in any one area, but the total outlook is much closer then the tally you make. This is a great head to head matchup of two teams that position for position, intangible for intangible, matchup about as well as any two World Series teams have in a long while. And given the big left handed bats on the Phillies, I don't know if home field is THAT huge - don't get me wrong, it's big, but the Phillies match the parks well and won't suffer on the road.

This should be a 7 game series. It has all the makings of one. I'm thinking in the first 6 games we see 2 blowouts and 4 1 run games getting us to game 7 in the Bronx. It wouldn't shock me to see the home team keep serve until that game 7 either. I will, of course, pick the Yankees in 7 - but unlike 2001 or 2003 where I was just shocked that they lost, if the Phillies pull this out I won't be floored.

This is going to be fun and painful all at the same time.

:coffee: Phils have the edge at every position except 3B and C (although Chooch is a post-season legend).
The Yanks lead as a team in BA, OBP, SLG, less K's, more walks, more runs hits and homeruns. Even with all that.... I feel the teams are very evenly matched.

Team Payroll (US$)

2. NY Mets 145,367,987

4. Boston 122,435,399

5. Detroit 119,160,145

6. LA Angels 118,964,000

7. Seattle 112,053,666

9. Houston 102,996,414

12. Atlanta 94,313,666

13. St. Louis 87,703,409

16. Milwaukee 80,182,502

18. Arizona 73,516,666

19. Texas 73,439,238

20. Toronto 72,563,200

21. Colorado 72,428,000

22. Tampa Bay 68,230,934

23. Minnesota 67,634,766

24. Cleveland 66,757,366

26. Baltimore 61,885,566

27. Oakland 56,089,250

28. San Diego 37,800,800

29. Florida 35,774,000

Note:Team salaries do not represent full team payroll. Amount listed includes current salary for all players currently on the roster.
I know there is one, but I'm not understanding the point here?

Posada > RuizTeixeira > HowardCano < UtleyJeter > RollinsARod >>> FelizDamon = IbanezMelky < VictorinoSwisher < WerthMatsui > Francisco/StairsSabathia > LeeBurnett = PedroPettitte = HamelsHughes/Joba/Robertson/Coke = Madson/Park/Happ/DurbinMariano >>> Lidge
And don't forget...$208MM >>> $111MMM
Did the payroll difference between the Phils and Colorado de-legitimize the NLDS win this year? How about the 98M the Phils spent last year versus 43M for Tampa Bay?

Posada > RuizI can sign for that, but it's very close.Teixeira > HowardThis is a push - especially in the parks they are going to be playing in.Cano < UtleyI'll get heat on this, but I see this one closer then most, although you do have to give the edge to Utley.Jeter > RollinsAgreed, although, again, Rollins is no slouch and this closer then many Yankee fans will admit.ARod >>> FelizAt leats on an order of three magnitude - possibly 5.Damon = IbanezYankee stadium helps Damon, but Ibanez - if he comes back to that uber form he had earlier - is the better player here - especially when you factor in defense because all Ibanez has to do to be better is breathe.Melky < VictorinoI would bump that up slightly to a 2 magnitude.Swisher < WerthI'm not very familiar with Werth so I'll agree - and how can you not? Nick hasn't been lights out here lately but if he comes back to April form?????Matsui > Francisco/StairsI'm not in love with Hideki anymore and just hope for some solid line drives, taking every else as a plus. I wouldn't say this is a lock gap - probably closer then you think.Sabathia > LeeYou hope. But Lee has been a stud and the best pickup this year. These two former Indians could very well put on a clinic for 8 1/3 and make all the hitters look like the Mets.Burnett = PedroThe simple fact that this is not a joke means that Pedro actually gets the edge until AJ can give a strong performace - I'm talking 7 shutout innings of dominant stuff. Until he shows that, the edge is Pedro's.Pettitte = HamelsMy blinders are on here but of all the pitchers in the last 15 years that have worn the uniform, I trust Pettite the most no matter the situation. For that, I am confident in this one that Pettite will outperform, but stepping back equal is probably the good call here.Hughes/Joba/Robertson/Coke = Madson/Park/Happ/DurbinHey, you forget Aceves! :wub: I will grant that the pen wasn't lights out in the ALCS, but they did win in 6 and didn't implode and I think the better stuff here is clearly in the pinstripes. I would give the dvantage - a small one - to the Yanks.Mariano >>> LidgeAgreed. Frankly, I would make that a magnitude of 5 as well.I don't think you are far off in any one area, but the total outlook is much closer then the tally you make. This is a great head to head matchup of two teams that position for position, intangible for intangible, matchup about as well as any two World Series teams have in a long while. And given the big left handed bats on the Phillies, I don't know if home field is THAT huge - don't get me wrong, it's big, but the Phillies match the parks well and won't suffer on the road.This should be a 7 game series. It has all the makings of one. I'm thinking in the first 6 games we see 2 blowouts and 4 1 run games getting us to game 7 in the Bronx. It wouldn't shock me to see the home team keep serve until that game 7 either. I will, of course, pick the Yankees in 7 - but unlike 2001 or 2003 where I was just shocked that they lost, if the Phillies pull this out I won't be floored.This is going to be fun and painful all at the same time.
Couple things. I don't think you can give Ibanez the edge for his defense but then call Tex and Howard a push. Howard hits more HR, but Teixeira trumps him in every other area.SIDE NOTE: Whole Camels, Tex had a higher BA, higher OPS, and is NOT pushing 800 K's over the last 4 years. Does 59 errors over the past four years (versus 14 for Tex) mean nothing? As we saw in the ALCS, one or two defensive miscues can cost you an entire game, and in turn, the series. Let's even say that HR/RBI/BA are the only metrics we have for measuring players...do you really think it's laughable to call Teixeira better than Howard?Yankee, I agree that Jeter's edge over Rollins is very small, small enough to call it a push (actually a Rollins advantage) in most seasons. But based on the season each guy just had, ya gotta take Jeter here.Agreed on Victorino over Melky by a greater margin than I listed. I was only working in terms of "better" or "much better". If it was in scales, I'd have Victorino somewhere between those two over Melky.I wouldn't be shocked to see Lee outpitch Sabathia, but based on track record CC is a better pitcher on the whole. But for one or two games, obviously no slam dunk.I also think it's going to be a long series, and I wasn't trying to imply that the Yanks have some huge advantage. I was just pointing out the disagreement I had with the previous assessment that the ONLY areas the Yanks were better in was C/3B. I thought that was a very incorrect statement, so I was just lining em up how I saw.

Posada > RuizI can sign for that, but it's very close.Teixeira > HowardThis is a push - especially in the parks they are going to be playing in.Cano < UtleyI'll get heat on this, but I see this one closer then most, although you do have to give the edge to Utley.Jeter > RollinsAgreed, although, again, Rollins is no slouch and this closer then many Yankee fans will admit.ARod >>> FelizAt leats on an order of three magnitude - possibly 5.Damon = IbanezYankee stadium helps Damon, but Ibanez - if he comes back to that uber form he had earlier - is the better player here - especially when you factor in defense because all Ibanez has to do to be better is breathe.Melky < VictorinoI would bump that up slightly to a 2 magnitude.Swisher < WerthI'm not very familiar with Werth so I'll agree - and how can you not? Nick hasn't been lights out here lately but if he comes back to April form?????Matsui > Francisco/StairsI'm not in love with Hideki anymore and just hope for some solid line drives, taking every else as a plus. I wouldn't say this is a lock gap - probably closer then you think.Sabathia > LeeYou hope. But Lee has been a stud and the best pickup this year. These two former Indians could very well put on a clinic for 8 1/3 and make all the hitters look like the Mets.Burnett = PedroThe simple fact that this is not a joke means that Pedro actually gets the edge until AJ can give a strong performace - I'm talking 7 shutout innings of dominant stuff. Until he shows that, the edge is Pedro's.Pettitte = HamelsMy blinders are on here but of all the pitchers in the last 15 years that have worn the uniform, I trust Pettite the most no matter the situation. For that, I am confident in this one that Pettite will outperform, but stepping back equal is probably the good call here.Hughes/Joba/Robertson/Coke = Madson/Park/Happ/DurbinHey, you forget Aceves! :wub: I will grant that the pen wasn't lights out in the ALCS, but they did win in 6 and didn't implode and I think the better stuff here is clearly in the pinstripes. I would give the dvantage - a small one - to the Yanks.Mariano >>> LidgeAgreed. Frankly, I would make that a magnitude of 5 as well.I don't think you are far off in any one area, but the total outlook is much closer then the tally you make. This is a great head to head matchup of two teams that position for position, intangible for intangible, matchup about as well as any two World Series teams have in a long while. And given the big left handed bats on the Phillies, I don't know if home field is THAT huge - don't get me wrong, it's big, but the Phillies match the parks well and won't suffer on the road.This should be a 7 game series. It has all the makings of one. I'm thinking in the first 6 games we see 2 blowouts and 4 1 run games getting us to game 7 in the Bronx. It wouldn't shock me to see the home team keep serve until that game 7 either. I will, of course, pick the Yankees in 7 - but unlike 2001 or 2003 where I was just shocked that they lost, if the Phillies pull this out I won't be floored.This is going to be fun and painful all at the same time.
Bigger bumps to Werth . He is head and shoulders above Swisher.I think Cabrera is closer to Victorino than Swish is to Werth. Bigger bump to Matsui over Francisco/Stairs. The Phils bench sucks. Bigger bump to the Yanks bullpen. Madsen has struggled in the postseason.

Team Payroll (US$)

2. NY Mets 145,367,987

4. Boston 122,435,399

5. Detroit 119,160,145

6. LA Angels 118,964,000

7. Seattle 112,053,666

9. Houston 102,996,414

12. Atlanta 94,313,666

13. St. Louis 87,703,409

16. Milwaukee 80,182,502

18. Arizona 73,516,666

19. Texas 73,439,238

20. Toronto 72,563,200

21. Colorado 72,428,000

22. Tampa Bay 68,230,934

23. Minnesota 67,634,766

24. Cleveland 66,757,366

26. Baltimore 61,885,566

27. Oakland 56,089,250

28. San Diego 37,800,800

29. Florida 35,774,000

:unsure: I KNOW I KNOW I KNOW!It's this thing we like to call a "built-in excuse". We've seen it for a long time now, this one is just a bit more ridiculous since the Phils are the defending champs...team has a lesser payroll than the Yanks (as all teams do), so they cry and whine about the payroll ahead of time even though THEY are the defending champs and THEY should act like the favorites. But they try to play the 'us-against-the-world' underdog card. So if they DO somehow manage to topple the big, bad Yankees, they are the greatest team known to man. And if they lose, well what can you do---they had a higher payroll and so that obviously means better players.

I don't know if that makes the 2008 championship even more OMG MOST GREATEST WIN EVER or if it somehow means it was a mathematical impossibility, rendering it invalid. More research is needed.

Posada > RuizI can sign for that, but it's very close.Teixeira > HowardThis is a push - especially in the parks they are going to be playing in.Cano < UtleyI'll get heat on this, but I see this one closer then most, although you do have to give the edge to Utley.Jeter > RollinsAgreed, although, again, Rollins is no slouch and this closer then many Yankee fans will admit.ARod >>> FelizAt leats on an order of three magnitude - possibly 5.Damon = IbanezYankee stadium helps Damon, but Ibanez - if he comes back to that uber form he had earlier - is the better player here - especially when you factor in defense because all Ibanez has to do to be better is breathe.Melky < VictorinoI would bump that up slightly to a 2 magnitude.Swisher < WerthI'm not very familiar with Werth so I'll agree - and how can you not? Nick hasn't been lights out here lately but if he comes back to April form?????Matsui > Francisco/StairsI'm not in love with Hideki anymore and just hope for some solid line drives, taking every else as a plus. I wouldn't say this is a lock gap - probably closer then you think.Sabathia > LeeYou hope. But Lee has been a stud and the best pickup this year. These two former Indians could very well put on a clinic for 8 1/3 and make all the hitters look like the Mets.Burnett = PedroThe simple fact that this is not a joke means that Pedro actually gets the edge until AJ can give a strong performace - I'm talking 7 shutout innings of dominant stuff. Until he shows that, the edge is Pedro's.Pettitte = HamelsMy blinders are on here but of all the pitchers in the last 15 years that have worn the uniform, I trust Pettite the most no matter the situation. For that, I am confident in this one that Pettite will outperform, but stepping back equal is probably the good call here.Hughes/Joba/Robertson/Coke = Madson/Park/Happ/DurbinHey, you forget Aceves! :unsure: I will grant that the pen wasn't lights out in the ALCS, but they did win in 6 and didn't implode and I think the better stuff here is clearly in the pinstripes. I would give the dvantage - a small one - to the Yanks.Mariano >>> LidgeAgreed. Frankly, I would make that a magnitude of 5 as well.I don't think you are far off in any one area, but the total outlook is much closer then the tally you make. This is a great head to head matchup of two teams that position for position, intangible for intangible, matchup about as well as any two World Series teams have in a long while. And given the big left handed bats on the Phillies, I don't know if home field is THAT huge - don't get me wrong, it's big, but the Phillies match the parks well and won't suffer on the road.This should be a 7 game series. It has all the makings of one. I'm thinking in the first 6 games we see 2 blowouts and 4 1 run games getting us to game 7 in the Bronx. It wouldn't shock me to see the home team keep serve until that game 7 either. I will, of course, pick the Yankees in 7 - but unlike 2001 or 2003 where I was just shocked that they lost, if the Phillies pull this out I won't be floored.This is going to be fun and painful all at the same time.
Couple things. I don't think you can give Ibanez the edge for his defense but then call Tex and Howard a push. Howard hits more HR, but Teixeira trumps him in every other area.SIDE NOTE: Whole Camels, Tex had a higher BA, higher OPS, and is NOT pushing 800 K's over the last 4 years. Does 59 errors over the past four years (versus 14 for Tex) mean nothing? As we saw in the ALCS, one or two defensive miscues can cost you an entire game, and in turn, the series. Let's even say that HR/RBI/BA are the only metrics we have for measuring players...do you really think it's laughable to call Teixeira better than Howard?Yankee, I agree that Jeter's edge over Rollins is very small, small enough to call it a push (actually a Rollins advantage) in most seasons. But based on the season each guy just had, ya gotta take Jeter here.Agreed on Victorino over Melky by a greater margin than I listed. I was only working in terms of "better" or "much better". If it was in scales, I'd have Victorino somewhere between those two over Melky.I wouldn't be shocked to see Lee outpitch Sabathia, but based on track record CC is a better pitcher on the whole. But for one or two games, obviously no slam dunk.I also think it's going to be a long series, and I wasn't trying to imply that the Yanks have some huge advantage. I was just pointing out the disagreement I had with the previous assessment that the ONLY areas the Yanks were better in was C/3B. I thought that was a very incorrect statement, so I was just lining em up how I saw.
:goodposting: You waste a whole paragraph talking about defense at a position like 1B, but completely ignore the fact that Rollins/Chooch can run circles around Jeter/Posada defensively at the 2 most important positions on the diamond. Laughable.

Team Payroll (US$)

2. NY Mets 145,367,987

4. Boston 122,435,399

5. Detroit 119,160,145

6. LA Angels 118,964,000

7. Seattle 112,053,666

9. Houston 102,996,414

12. Atlanta 94,313,666

13. St. Louis 87,703,409

16. Milwaukee 80,182,502

18. Arizona 73,516,666

19. Texas 73,439,238

20. Toronto 72,563,200

21. Colorado 72,428,000

22. Tampa Bay 68,230,934

23. Minnesota 67,634,766

24. Cleveland 66,757,366

26. Baltimore 61,885,566

27. Oakland 56,089,250

28. San Diego 37,800,800

29. Florida 35,774,000

:lol: I KNOW I KNOW I KNOW!It's this thing we like to call a "built-in excuse". We've seen it for a long time now, this one is just a bit more ridiculous since the Phils are the defending champs...team has a lesser payroll than the Yanks (as all teams do), so they cry and whine about the payroll ahead of time even though THEY are the defending champs and THEY should act like the favorites. But they try to play the 'us-against-the-world' underdog card. So if they DO somehow manage to topple the big, bad Yankees, they are the greatest team known to man. And if they lose, well what can you do---they had a higher payroll and so that obviously means better players.

I don't know if that makes the 2008 championship even more OMG MOST GREATEST WIN EVER or if it somehow means it was a mathematical impossibility, rendering it invalid. More research is needed.
Such a ridiculous thought. It's not a built in excuse for anything, but it's the kind of thing Yankee fans ignore when they talk about how great the team is. And instead of acknowledging that payroll IS a meaningful thing in baseball, you just attack the person who brought it up, probably because you're sick of hearing it. Payroll is the only reason the Yankees are what they are. They aren't well run, and it didn't take too much off-season planning to go out and buy 3 all-stars.It's SUCH an accomplishment that the Yankees cram so much talent into a $200 million payroll, isn't it? The Yankees should ALWAYS be the favorite, and they went out and bought CC, Tex, and Burnett to make sure they would be this year. It's an upset when a team that spends twice as much loses no matter who won last year.

So yes, if the Phillies win, it'll be an upset.

The Phils are the defending champs, but the Yankees are the favorites.

Users who are viewing this thread