What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Baseball Free Agency Rumors... (1 Viewer)

Yankee23Fan

Fair Tax!
Yeah I know, the Yankees will buy them all. blah blah blah.

Now that we got that out of our system, ESPN has a list of the free agents:

ANGELS

Eric Owens and Scott Spiezio

I don't see either making a huge FA splash. Owens is a nice little player, I guess. I'm not very high on Spiezio.

ORIOLES

Tony Batista, 3b; Albert Belle, of; Hector Carrasco, rhp; x-Deivi Cruz, ss; Scott Erickson, rhp; x-Brook Fordyce, c; x-Pat Hentgen, rhp; x-Kerry Ligtenberg, rhp; B.J. Surhoff, dh.

Batista is an interesting player. I don't see too many teams out there that need a FA 3rd basemen though. Maybe the Twins? I doubt it.

The only other one that interests me is Ligtenberg. The team has the option for 2004. If I'm them, I keep him. If not, I think he is an interesting guy to look at for any number of teams. Toronto would be on the top of my list for teams interested in him.

RED SOX

John Burkett, rhp; Bill Haselman, c; Todd Jones, rhp; x-Derek Lowe, rhp; Dave McCarty, of; Robert Person, rhp; x-Jeff Suppan, rhp; Mike Timlin, rhp; Todd Walker, 2b.

Derek Lowe is under a team option, so I am going to bet that the Sox pick up that option. Todd Walker is going to test the market, but I am going to bet that he doesn't get anything near what he thinks he deserves. The rest I wouldn't go near, so the question in Walker. Coming off a good offensive year, asking for too much money. I see the Texas Rangers in his future, although I would not be shocked to see the Yankees go after him, should they decide to move Soriano either to the outfield or trade him. George is just dumb enough to do this, thinking he can beat the Red Sox one more time.

WHITE SOX

Roberto Alomar, 2b; Sandy Alomar, c; Bartolo Colon, rhp; Carl Everett, of; Tom Gordon, rhp; Tony Graffanino, ss; x-Esteban Loaiza, rhp; Scott Sullivan, rhp; xy-Frank Thomas, dh; Jose Valentin, ss.

If I'm the Chisox, I resign Roberto Alomar. Colon is going to be a prize for a lot of teams. The Yankees will make a push for him, though if I remember New York reports the feeling about him on the team is mixed, so they might not go as hard after him as many think. I think Colon is looking at the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers or Rangers. Everett is going to want too much, though he probably gets a contract from a team like the Orioles who need some pop. The team has the option on Loaiza and they will pick that up quicker then a bum eyeing a dollar on the street. Thomas has a dual option - he can leave or the team can make an offer - and I am going to guess he leaves. He'd be an interesting player on the market. I wouldn't be surpored to see him in San Fransisco or Oakland.

INDIANS

Jason Bere, rhp; x-Ellis Burks, dh; Terry Mulholland, rhp; Mark Wohlers, rhp.

I wouldn't want any of them on my team. I am guessing that Burks sees some interest, but not a lot.

TIGERS

Shane Halter, 3b; Dean Palmer, dh; Matt Walbeck, c.

The Durham Bulls have better options.

ROYALS

Brian Anderson, lhp; Kevin Appier, rhp; Mike DiFelice, c; Jason Grimsley, rhp; Raul Ibanez, of; Curtis Leskanic, rhp; Alan Levine, rhp; Jose Lima, rhp; Graeme Lloyd, rhp; x-Brent Mayne, c; Thomas Prince, c; Joe Randa, 3b; Michael Tucker, of; Rondell White, of; Jamey Wright, rhp.

The Royals are going to be interesting. I would hope the owner puts a little more money into the team, but you can't bank on that. Appier isn't going to be signed, and I am guessing he ends up on a team like Pittsburgh who is looking for a steady veteran arm. Grimsley has talent but no brain, but he should end up in a middle market team like Cincinnati. Leskanic will have a lot of lookers I think. I actually wouldn't mind seeing the Yankees make a move for him. He's got stuff if he's healthy. I wouldn't go near Lima with a ten foot poll, but whoever does better have a huge park because he is a fly ball pitcher - so maybe he gets a small deal with a team like the Mets or Dodgers. I doubt it though. Lloyd has really fallen, but I would like the Royals to keep him. Tucker and White are the same player - a 4th outfielder on a good team. Randa will get a few looks, but he isn't anything special to me.

TWINS

Mike Fetters, rhp; x-Chris Gomez, 2b; Eddie Guardado, rhp; LaTroy Hawkins, rhp; Denny Hocking, 2b; Jesse Orosco, rhp; Rick Reed, rhp; Kenny Rogers, lhp; Shannon Stewart, of.

Easy Eddie better get resigned by the Twins. Rick Reed should get a decent deal from a team looking for veteran pitching - I would like to see the Devil Rays make him an offer. Rogers would do well to stay in Minnesota, even if it means a little less money. And Shannon Stewart is going to be a monster on the market. I see every team going after him. I am going to guess he ends up on a team like the Mets or Braves. Although I really would like to see the Twins keep him - he was a perfect fit in that team and it would be good for the fans.

YANKEES

Roger Clemens, rhp; John Flaherty, c; z-Felix Heredia, rhp; Jeff Nelson, rhp; x-Antonio Osuna, rhp; Andy Pettitte, lhp; Ruben Sierra, dh; Luis Sojo, 3b; x-David Wells, lhp; x-Gabe White, rhp.

Clemens is retiring. Nelson isn't coming back but should be a decent acquisition for some team. Pettite is going to get one of the biggest contracts in the market for the year, and I only see 3 teams going after him strong; the Yankees, Rangers, and Mets. The rest are all gone - even Wells who the team should not pick up the option.

A'S

Keith Foulke, rhp; Jose Guillen, of; Ricardo Rincon, rhp; x-Steve Sparks, rhp; Miguel Tejada, ss.

They won't sign Foulke because of Beane's theory's. Guillen is a good player and should be resigned, although I can see him getting a decent offer from a high level team. Tejada is going to be a prize. I would not be terribly shocked to see the A's actually make him a good offer, but I'm going to be he goes to a bog market team like the Dodgers (the Mets don't need him but might go after him anyway).

MARINERS

Armondo Benitez, rhp; Pat Borders, c; Michael Cameron, of; Shigetoshi Hasegawa, rhp; x-John Mabry, of; Edgar Martinez, dh; Mark McLemore, ss; Arthur Rhodes, rhp; Rey Sanchez, ss.

Benetiz will get a contract from some poor unsuspecting team, as will Hasegawa. Edgar will be resigned or retire.

DEVIL RAYS

Ben Grieve, dh; z-Travis Lee, 1b; Al Martin, dh; Rey Ordonez, ss; Carlos Reyes, rhp; Terry Shumpert, dh.

If I'm them, I'm not signing any of these guys back, and I wouldn't want any of them on my team.

RANGERS

Juan Gonzalez, of; Rafael Palmeiro, dh; John Thomson, rhp; Ismael Valdes, rhp.

Juan-gone doesn't deserve what he will be asking for, and after the crap he pulled at the deadline I wouldn't offer him a contract, no matter the team or the money. But someone will. The Dodgers need some pop and have the money. Rafael will probably get a decent deal from another AL team, and Thomson would be a nice low end value for a lot of teams. I wouldn't be shocked to see the Rangers sign him back.

BLUE JAYS

Mike Bordick, ss; Kelvim Escobar, rhp; Cory Lidle, rhp; Greg Myers, c.

I wouldn't sign any of them back, although Lidle has some promise and Escobar could be interesting.

DIAMONDBACKS

Carlos Baerga, 1b; x-Miguel Batista, rhp; x-Mark Grace, 1b; Felix Jose, dh; Raul Mondesi, of; Mike Myers, rhp.

Grace retired. Mondesi isn't worth a good contract, though he will get some dough. Could a return to Los Angeles happen?

BRAVES

Darren Bragg, of; Vinny Castilla, 3b; Julio Franco, 1b; Matt Franco, 1b; Roberto Hernandez, rhp; Darren Holmes, rhp; Javy Lopez, c; Greg Maddux, rhp; Kent Mercker, rhp; z-Shane Reynolds, rhp; Gary Sheffield, of.

Javy Lopez isn't going to get I-Rod money, so he might end up staying. I wouldn't be shocked to see him go to the Dodgers or the Astros though - and I guess the Giants could make a push, because he would be sick in that lineup. Maddux is going to be interesting. I don't know if the Braves let him leave. I wouldn't, but his price may be slightly more then they want to spend. Sheffield is going for a paycheck. I'm hearing the Yankees are going to make a push, which I don't like, and Shef has said he would like to play in New York. My hope - he goes to the Mets instead, who would be stupid not to try to sign him.

CUBS

Antonio Alfonseca, rhp; Shawn Estes, lhp; Doug Glanville, of; Thomas Goodwin, of; x-Mark Grudzielanek, 2b; x-Mark Guthrie, rhp; Eric Karros, 1b; Kenny Lofton, of; Troy O'Leary, of; y-Sammy Sosa, of; Dave Veres, rhp; Tony Womack, ss.

Sosa has his own option. Would he consider leaving? If they had another 90 loss season I would have said yes. But now? I'm not so sure. I think he will stay because I don't see any other team paying him what he is going to want (and yes, I will admit that if he called George it would be likely that he is a Yankee, but I doubt it). How about Sosa on the Mets? Astros? Could you imagine him in Homerun Field? Scary.

REDS

a-Jimmy Haynes, rhp; Barry Larkin, ss; Todd Van Poppel, rhp.

Larkin is done I think.

ROCKIES

Greg Norton, 3b; Darren Oliver, lhp; x-Steve Reed, rhp; z-Chris Stynes, 3b; Mark Sweeney, of; Gregg Zaun, c.

I wouldn't sign any of these guys.

MARLINS

Luis Castillo, 2b; Andy Fox, 2b; Chad Fox, rhp; Lenny Harris, 3b; Rick Helling, rhp; Todd Hollandsworth, of; Mike Mordecai, 3b; Ivan Rodriguez, c; Ugueth Urbina, rhp; Gerald Williams, of.

This will be the interesting team this fall. If they want a fan base back and a new stadium, they sign I-Rod and Urbina, and let the fans know that they are going to try to win it all again. If they even look like they are going to pull a '97 again, I shudder to think of what their fan base will do. Castillo could be an interesting player. I actually think that the Yankees will go after him should they choose to put Soriano in Right Field. He would be a good fit with Jeter.

ASTROS

Brad Ausmus, c; Orlando Merced, of; Dan Miceli, rhp; Brian Moehler, rhp; Ron Villone, lhp; Jose Vizcaino, ss; x-Rick White, rhp.

Ewwwwwwww.

DODGERS

Wilson Alvarez, lhp; Andy Ashby, rhp; Jeromy Burnitz, of; Ron Coomer, 1b; Rickey Henderson, of; x-Brian Jordan, of; Tom Martin, rhp; Fred McGriff, 1b; a-Paul Quantrill, rhp; Robin Ventura, 3b.

I don't think they resign anyone, including Jordan. I think they are going to go hard into free agency. The only player that really interests me is Quantrill, who can cancell his contract and take a chance on the market. He would be a nice fit on the Yankees, Braves or Giants I think.

BREWERS

Dave Burba, rhp; x-Royce Clayton, ss; Keith Osik, c; Eduardo Perez, c; Todd Ritchie, rhp; x-Glendon Rusch, lhp; John Vander Wal, of.

It amazes me these guys are considered major league players.

EXPOS

Wil Cordero, 1b; Vladimir Guerrero, of; Jose Mercedes, rhp; Fernando Tatis, 3b; Todd Zeile, 3b.

The big name here is obvious. Guerrero is going to be difficult. Everything I have heard about this guy leads me to believe that playing in a big city would be horrible for him. He speaks no English, lives with his mother, is very quiet and keeps to himself, and is very aware of his language shortcomings. The New York teams might be causing themselves a ton of problems going after this guy. Having said that, I don't see how he stays in Montreal. I guess that has to be considered the top option, but a team after that? It has to be a place where he can be quiet and keep to himself, without a ton of media pressure, who can also afford him. The Rangers? He could live in Louisiana. I don't know.

METS

Pedro Astacio, rhp; Jay Bell, 2b; Tony Clark, 1b; John Franco, rhp; Tsuyoshi Shinjo, of.

Don't let the door hit you guys!

PHILLIES

Terry Adams, rhp; x-Rheal Cormier, rhp; x-Jose Mesa, rhp; Kevin Millwood, rhp; Dan Plesac, rhp; Todd Pratt, c; Kelly Stinnett, c; Turk Wendell, rhp; x-Michael Williams, rhp.

Millwood. Yankees? No. I am going to bet on the Mets. He will then go 10-14 with a 5.78 ERA for the year. Silly Mets fans.

PIRATES

Jose Hernandez, ss; Patrick Meares, 2b; Jeff Reboulet, 2b; x-Pokey Reese Jr., 2b; Reggie Sanders, of; Matt Stairs, of; Julian Tavarez, rhp.

Nothing here is exciting. Reese, should the team not pick up the option, could be interesting.

CARDINALS

Miguel Cairo, 2b; x-Chris Carpenter, rhp; x-Mike DeJean, rhp; Cal Eldred, rhp; x-Jeff Fassero, rhp; Joe Girardi, c; x-Sterling Hitchcock, rhp; Steve Kline, rhp; Lance Painter, rhp; Orlando Palmeiro, of; Eduardo Perez, of; Russ Springer, rhp; Garrett Stephenson, rhp; Brett Tomko, rhp; x-Fernando Vina, 2b; Chris Widger, c.

That's the whole team! They won't pick up Hitchcock's options (I wouldn't), Kline will never be allowed back into the stadium alive, Stephenson might be resigned. I say they go after a big pitcher in the market and rid themselves of these guys.

PADRES

Rod Beck, rhp; x-Trevor Hoffman, rhp; Keith Lockhart, 2b.

I can think of 26 teams that would like Hoffman. They would be wise to pick up the option.

GIANTS

Rich Aurilia, ss; Marvin Benard, of; Alberto Castillo, c; Jose Cruz Jr., of; Andres Galarraga, 1b; Jeffrey Hammonds, of; Dustin Hermanson, rhp; a-Robb Nen, rhp; Sidney Ponson, rhp; Benito Santiago, c; J.T. Snow, 1b; Timothy Worrell, rhp; Eric Young, 2b.

Aurillia blows, Cruz Jr. will never be allowed back on the field. Nen can cancel his contract, but will he? I think no. Ponson should be resigned, and if not he becomes a very good pitcher on the market. Worell is a good bullpen guy, and if they can't keep Nen they better keep him - or vice versa.

So, that's it. The big names look to be:

C: Ivan Rodriguez and Javy Lopez

My prediction - I-Rod stays in Florida and Lopez goes to the Giants

1B: Rafeal Palmiero and Frank Thomas

My prediction - the Twins! Now wouldn't that be interesting! And Thomas goes to the Red Sox!

2B: Todd Walker and Luis Castillo

My prediction - Castillo goes to the Yankees (if, and only if Soriano moves) and Walker gets too big a contract with the Red Sox.

SS: Miguel Tejada

My prediction - Dodgers.

3B: Tony Batista

My prediction - I have no idea.

OF: Vlad, Sheffield, Everett, Shannon Stewart

My prediction - Vlad stays in Montreal, Sheffield goes to the Mets, Everett gets an ugly deal from the White Sox and stays, and Stewart stays with the Twins.

Pitchers: Millwood, Colon, Nen, Hoffman, Urbina, Escobar, Pettite and Maddox

My prediction - Millwood goes to the Mets, Colon goes to the Orioles (yes the Orioles, who try to turn it around and make the playoffs as Angelos tries to outspend George), Nen stays, Hoffman stays, Urbina stays, and Pettite goes to the Rangers. Greg Maddox becomes a Yankee.

As for the Yankees, what I would like to see is Godzilla go to center, Bernie go to left, and Soriano go to right, and then we sign a 2B like Castillo. As for the pitchers, we will have Mussina, Contreras, Lieber, and Weaver. George is definately going to buy a big pitcher if those are the top 4 he is working with, so that is why I am thinking Maddox.

Should be interesting.

If Maddux does leave the Braves, there is no way that Atlanta won't go for a starting pitcher... In fact, if Maddux does leave Atlanta, they will push hard for Millwood to come back.

Interesting analysis. I think the Red Sox will try to get a short term (2-3 year) deal with Colon and/or Tejada. They know they can't easily keep both Pedro and Nomar after next year, so they'll make a big show of interest in a potential replacement. Both those players are coming off a strong ending to an overall down year, so they both are attractive free agents but will command less than they would the year before. This is a good time for them to sign a short term contract as well. Plus, with the Sox getting so close, Sox management wants to keep the fans at a fever pitch for next year, and a big acquisition could go a long way towards forgetting the ALCS.

']If Maddux does leave the Braves said:
Would he go back? I thought I heard that there was a lot of bad blood. You would know more then me on that one....But, your probably right. Let's say it isn't Millwood or Maddux. Do they go after Colon? Pettite?

']If Maddux does leave the Braves said:
I would not be surprised at all to see this happen. I don't think Millwood was ever comfortable in Philly, and I'm not too certain the Phils fans won't be happy to see him go, stupid as that is. As for me, I hope he stays in Philly, but I doubt that will happen.

Interesting analysis. I think the Red Sox will try to get a short term (2-3 year) deal with Colon and/or Tejada. They know they can't easily keep both Pedro and Nomar after next year, so they'll make a big show of interest in a potential replacement. Both those players are coming off a strong ending to an overall down year, so they both are attractive free agents but will command less than they would the year before. This is a good time for them to sign a short term contract as well. Plus, with the Sox getting so close, Sox management wants to keep the fans at a fever pitch for next year, and a big acquisition could go a long way towards forgetting the ALCS.
I could see them get a big time pitcher.What could they do with Tejada? Move him or Nomar to 2nd? Ewww.

Would he go back? I thought I heard that there was a lot of bad blood. You would know more then me on that one....But, your probably right. Let's say it isn't Millwood or Maddux. Do they go after Colon? Pettite?
Well I don't know if there was bad blood or not, but Millwood does know that it was a cost cutting move and since he wasn't happy in Philadelphia, I don't think he would go back there...Plus with Maddux's 16 million out of the way (if he leaves), that would open it up for someone like a Pettitte or Colon if Millwood is not resigned, but I don't think Pettitte would want to leave the AL.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great thread. :thumbup: Don't forget the Japanese SS.I never try to predict the FA market. Just far too many variables out there. Some team will throw a ton of money at a player that doesn't deserve it (Walker) and the big-market teams will have a field day. That's about as far as you can take it. My best guess is Tejada to the Mets, then they move Reyes to 2b.Rays will be going after a few of the middle-tier crap players to fill in until some of the prospects are ready. May actually go after Appier to eat innings as a 5th starter. :X Personally, a guy like Sheffield would be huge to stick in the middle of the lineup, but it isn't likely. Which is a shame, because Pinella wants him, and he's made it known he wouldn't mind coming home.

Great thread. :thumbup: Don't forget the Japanese SS.I never try to predict the FA market. Just far too many variables out there. Some team will throw a ton of money at a player that doesn't deserve it (Walker) and the big-market teams will have a field day. That's about as far as you can take it. My best guess is Tejada to the Mets, then they move Reyes to 2b.Rays will be going after a few of middle-tier crap players to fill in until some of the prospects are ready. May actually go after Appier to eat innings as a 5th starter. :X Personally, a guy like Sheffield would be huge to stick in the middle of the lineup, but it isn't likely. Which is a shame, because Pinella wants him, and he's made it known he wouldn't mind coming home.
I didn't know that.Sheffield on the Rays could be very interesting. With Baldelli and Crawford, that would be a good outfield.

[What could they do with Tejada? Move him or Nomar to 2nd? Ewww.
I've heard at least one baseball 'insider" insist that the Sox will move Nomar. With that said, no way in hell they'd do it to get Tejada.Tejada comes with the exact same baggage as Nomar (at least as far as Theo is concerned). He swings at too many pitches and doesn't walk enough.

[What could they do with Tejada? Move him or Nomar to 2nd? Ewww.
I've heard at least one baseball 'insider" insist that the Sox will move Nomar. With that said, no way in hell they'd do it to get Tejada.Tejada comes with the exact same baggage as Nomar (at least as far as Theo is concerned). He swings at too many pitches and doesn't walk enough.
I heard similar rumors with the Sox moving Nomar - but what I heard was that they would move him to Baltimore or, in the event that the Expos magically move to Virginia, move him there because he wanted to be closer to Mia who was playing on the Washington team.But that league went under, so who knows now?But now that I think about it, how would the Sox fans like this - Nomar to the Diamondbacks for Schilling?He wants out of Arizona I heard, though he said he wouldn't mind going back to Philly. But imagine if the Sox and D-Backs pulled that off?

Yankee, do the Yankees keep Boone or does he get dealt somewhere? After being described as looking like a "deer in the headlights" during the WS, I'd bet the Boss sends him packing. Can/could Jeter play third? If so, then don't the Yankees go after Tejada?Also, the talk back during the season was that the O's would go hard after Tejada.Oh, and if Schilling wants to come home, he can come back to Baltimore where he started. :D

HIGHLY doubt that Millwood comes back to Philly, and you're right, the phans wont be sad to see him go.... why? Because it opens the door for Schill to come home and he is a true ace. :thumbup: Howard Eskin (local Philly talk show host who has a "source" widely believed to be Bowa) said last night that the Yanks were interested in obtaining Polanco... The Phils have the luxury of dealing either one of Polanco or Utley this offseason, and although Polanco is a favorite of the organization he is also coming off of a career year and is arb eligible. Utley has been a pretty highly touted prospect brought up through the system and is MUCH cheaper so I wouldnt be surprised to see PP traded... which begs the question.... for whom?Weaver and Boone are almost surely gone as neither looked to be fav's of the boss.... how about....Weaver/Boone for D. Bell/Polanco?

Great thread. :thumbup: Don't forget the Japanese SS.I never try to predict the FA market. Just far too many variables out there. Some team will throw a ton of money at a player that doesn't deserve it (Walker) and the big-market teams will have a field day. That's about as far as you can take it. My best guess is Tejada to the Mets, then they move Reyes to 2b.Rays will be going after a few of middle-tier crap players to fill in until some of the prospects are ready. May actually go after Appier to eat innings as a 5th starter. :X Personally, a guy like Sheffield would be huge to stick in the middle of the lineup, but it isn't likely. Which is a shame, because Pinella wants him, and he's made it known he wouldn't mind coming home.
I didn't know that.Sheffield on the Rays could be very interesting. With Baldelli and Crawford, that would be a good outfield.
Yeah, Lou has been calling for a big right-handed bat ever since he got here. I swear, in every interview after every game last year, he mentioned how much better they would be with a "right-handed power hitter."Local papers have reported that Sheff would like to come home, may even accept a little less. But it's not likely to happen...LaMar the Loser would rather spread the money out and bring in some mid-level bums. :angry:

He wants out of Arizona I heard, though he said he wouldn't mind going back to Philly. But imagine if the Sox and D-Backs pulled that off?
Actually, he said the ONLY place he would accept a trade is to Philly... :shock: who'dve ever thunk it.

Great thread. :thumbup: Don't forget the Japanese SS.I never try to predict the FA market. Just far too many variables out there. Some team will throw a ton of money at a player that doesn't deserve it (Walker) and the big-market teams will have a field day. That's about as far as you can take it. My best guess is Tejada to the Mets, then they move Reyes to 2b.Rays will be going after a few of the middle-tier crap players to fill in until some of the prospects are ready. May actually go after Appier to eat innings as a 5th starter. :X Personally, a guy like Sheffield would be huge to stick in the middle of the lineup, but it isn't likely. Which is a shame, because Pinella wants him, and he's made it known he wouldn't mind coming home.
Don't forget about Jose Guillen being a plan B if they can't bring Sheff back home. And to think, they waived Guillen a couple of years ago :(

Yankee, do the Yankees keep Boone or does he get dealt somewhere? After being described as looking like a "deer in the headlights" during the WS, I'd bet the Boss sends him packing. Can/could Jeter play third? If so, then don't the Yankees go after Tejada?Also, the talk back during the season was that the O's would go hard after Tejada.Oh, and if Schilling wants to come home, he can come back to Baltimore where he started. :D
If the Yankees don't keep Boone there will be a lot of turmoil. Should he get moved I'm guessing it's on the heels of George blowing up the team in rage.They gave away their best pitching prospect for him, and Henson is a bust. I'm guessing he stays.If they go after Tejada, it's because Tejada has agreed to play 2nd or 3rd, not Jeter. I don't think anyone will mess with Jeter.

The big news with Houston isn't who is a free agent but rather who they will have to move. Wagner and Hidalgo are as good as done in Houston, especially Wagner. The two of them are due $22 million next year together and Houston simply has more affordable options in Lidge and Dotel in the bullpen and Lane on the farm for the outfield. It is going to kill me to see those two guys leave this offseason.

Weaver and Boone are almost surely gone as neither looked to be fav's of the boss.... how about....Weaver/Boone for D. Bell/Polanco?
Like I said - if George blows up the team all bets are off.I don't like this deal. I may be the only Yankee fan who actually likes Jeff Weaver. I think he has the potential for greatness and just had an awful year. I like his stuff against both righties and lefties and if he just calms down and has some fun he's got a fastball that moves like a slider and is unhitable when he is on.

Howard Eskin (local Philly talk show host who has a "source" widely believed to be Bowa) said last night that the Yanks were interested in obtaining Polanco... The Phils have the luxury of dealing either one of Polanco or Utley this offseason, and although Polanco is a favorite of the organization he is also coming off of a career year and is arb eligible. Utley has been a pretty highly touted prospect brought up through the system and is MUCH cheaper so I wouldnt be surprised to see PP traded... which begs the question.... for whom?Weaver and Boone are almost surely gone as neither looked to be fav's of the boss.... how about....Weaver/Boone for D. Bell/Polanco?
I heard this as well, and I would probably do that deal in a heartbeat. I've always liked Weaver, and although I'm not sure the pressure in Philly is any less than it is in New York (simply because the phans chew your ### constantly), they might have more patience with him than the Yanks did. The Phils expressed interest in Boone at this year's deadline, but didn't do anything.I really like Polanco, but I don't think his value will be any higher than it is currently. Utley has more offensive upside, but certainly isn't as reliable defensively (yet).I would absolutely love to see Schilling back in Philly, but one wonders if the Phils won't just settle on Wolf or Padilla or Myers as their "ace" and sign a decent #3 or #4 to flesh things out, hoping that gets them through to the deadline. Both Wolf and Myers certainly have the stuff an "ace" is made of, but I'm not sure if either of them is ready to carry a contending team. Millwood certainly isn't.

Hey, if we are talking trades as well, there is a lot of talk out here that the Yankees might actually trade Soriano instead of just moving him to the outfield.How about Soriano, Weaver, Lieber and some prospects to the Giants for Jason Schmidt?

Great thread, but your speculation about the winter's greatest prize - Vlad Guerrero - is totally off base. There is no way in the world he stays in Montreal.Minimum - and I mean rock bottom - for Vlad will be 5 years for $75 million. There is no way that the 30 guys left holding Jeffrey Loria's bag while he clutches the World Series trophy are going to shell out $500,000 each to resign Vlad where he can continue to play in front of a stadium full of empty seats.Jim Beattie was GM in Montreal and is now co-GM in Baltimore. He knows what Vlad can do and Vlad knows him. Baltimore is that mythical high-income, low-media pressure market and the Orioles have millions to spend now that they're finally out from under the contracts of Belle, Erickson, Brady, and a few others.Put Vlad in RF at Camden Yards, move Gibbons to 1B full-time and sign Tejada or the Japanese SS and suddenly you have the makings of a decent line-up. The only way Vlad doesn't end up in Baltimore is if Steinbrenner goes mental and puts up $80 million for four years. You can't believe he was pleased to see Karim Garcia, David Dellucci, and Ruben Sierra trodding Babe Ruth's position in Yankee Stadium during the World Series can you?

Great thread, but your speculation about the winter's greatest prize - Vlad Guerrero - is totally off base. There is no way in the world he stays in Montreal.Minimum - and I mean rock bottom - for Vlad will be 5 years for $75 million. There is no way that the 30 guys left holding Jeffrey Loria's bag while he clutches the World Series trophy are going to shell out $500,000 each to resign Vlad where he can continue to play in front of a stadium full of empty seats.Jim Beattie was GM in Montreal and is now co-GM in Baltimore. He knows what Vlad can do and Vlad knows him. Baltimore is that mythical high-income, low-media pressure market and the Orioles have millions to spend now that they're finally out from under the contracts of Belle, Erickson, Brady, and a few others.Put Vlad in RF at Camden Yards, move Gibbons to 1B full-time and sign Tejada or the Japanese SS and suddenly you have the makings of a decent line-up. The only way Vlad doesn't end up in Baltimore is if Steinbrenner goes mental and puts up $80 million for four years. You can't believe he was pleased to see Karim Garcia, David Dellucci, and Ruben Sierra trodding Babe Ruth's position in Yankee Stadium during the World Series can you?
I can only talk of what I have heard, and that is what I heard about Vlad. But I will take your word on it. He is a good fit in Camden Yards.

If the Giants fans on the board don't like my Soriano deal (and I wouldn't do it if I were them), how about any Dodgers fans.........Soriano for Kevin Brown?THAT is interesting, no?Then the Yankees sign Castillo for 2B and look for a RF. Yeah, Sheffield is going to be a Yankee, huh? :wall:

I would absolutely love to see Schilling back in Philly, but one wonders if the Phils won't just settle on Wolf or Padilla or Myers as their "ace" and sign a decent #3 or #4 to flesh things out, hoping that gets them through to the deadline. Both Wolf and Myers certainly have the stuff an "ace" is made of, but I'm not sure if either of them is ready to carry a contending team. Millwood certainly isn't.
The only reason that I truly believe that this is going to happen is because of the potential additional revenue that he will generate. The owners of this team seem to care more about making money than they do putting a winner on the field... luckily for the Phans, this should do both.Schilling opening the new stadium next season should be the owners dreams.

Very interesting thread.Ok, I'm sure no one cares, but I have to ask anyway... any idea what the Tigers might do in Free Agency? I've heard that Ilitch has the budget a little more under control and is willing to open up the checkbook a bit. Obviously the likes of Vlad, Tejada, and Pettitte aren't coming to Detroit, but I'm curious as to what mid-level talents the Tigers might be able to bring in to at least field a competitive team this year.Anyone?

If the Giants fans on the board don't like my Soriano deal (and I wouldn't do it if I were them), how about any Dodgers fans.........Soriano for Kevin Brown?THAT is interesting, no?Then the Yankees sign Castillo for 2B and look for a RF. Yeah, Sheffield is going to be a Yankee, huh? :wall:
Id be very surprised to see them move Soriano... not trying to be smart, but why trade away one of your best guys when you have an unlimited budget? Arent there any available FA pitchers that are "worth it"?

It's not the offseason until the victory Parades, and those happen tomorrow!! :P

MARLINSLuis Castillo, 2b; Andy Fox, 2b; Chad Fox, rhp; Lenny Harris, 3b; Rick Helling, rhp; Todd Hollandsworth, of; Mike Mordecai, 3b; Ivan Rodriguez, c; Ugueth Urbina, rhp; Gerald Williams, of. This will be the interesting team this fall. If they want a fan base back and a new stadium, they sign I-Rod and Urbina, and let the fans know that they are going to try to win it all again. If they even look like they are going to pull a '97 again, I shudder to think of what their fan base will do. Castillo could be an interesting player. I actually think that the Yankees will go after him should they choose to put Soriano in Right Field. He would be a good fit with Jeter.
Anyhow, on the marlins front:Pudge is the big question. I think that they keep him, Lowell, Gonzalez, JP, Conine, and Cabrera.D Lee, Castillo, and Encarnacion are the bubble guys here. Castillo's agent wants 30 mil for 5 years, but castillo has said he wants to stay in Miami, so who knows what that means. I think D lee is history, with Conine going to 1st (something has got to give). Encarnacion I think will be the odd man out, with the marlins making some OTHER move to get a low cost RF.As for the Pitchers: Beckett and D Train will be back, and I think penny as well (arbittration). They get AJ Burnett back from Tommy John, and I think Pavano and Redman will be around as well. I think they have to let Urbina go, and go back to looper. They can't let payroll go too crazy. I wouldn't be surprised to see Pavano become the middle reliever/Emergency starter if AJ comes back strong.There is talk about a stadium heating up again, and I think that the Marlins will try to avoid the mistakes of the 97 team in that regard. You'll see the same young pitching and a lot of the guys stay around, but I think that Castillo, D Lee, Encarnacion, and Uge will probably be somewhere else next year. McKeon will be back as well. Payroll will be somewhere in the 60 - 70 mill range to get the stadium, with a possible fire sale around the all star break next year if we are not contending and/or the stadium is a done deal or a dead deal.GO MARLINS!

MARLINS

Luis Castillo, 2b; Andy Fox, 2b; Chad Fox, rhp; Lenny Harris, 3b; Rick Helling, rhp; Todd Hollandsworth, of; Mike Mordecai, 3b; Ivan Rodriguez, c; Ugueth Urbina, rhp; Gerald Williams, of.

Castillo could be an interesting player. I actually think that the Yankees will go after him should they choose to put Soriano in Right Field. He would be a good fit with Jeter.
You know what they say, if you can't beat em, buy em.Right Giambi?

MARLINS

Castillo could be an interesting player. I actually think that the Yankees will go after him should they choose to put Soriano in Right Field. He would be a good fit with Jeter.
You know what they say, if you can't beat em, buy em.Right Giambi?
GB that not working out yet...

The one guy Im interested in going after is Castillo. I think he would be a great fit at the top of the order and he plays great defense at 2B.Also IF THE YANKEES TRADE SORIANO I WILL FLIP OUT :hot: :hot: :hot: I saw in the paper they may offer Soriano for Beltran.

Very interesting thread.Ok, I'm sure no one cares, but I have to ask anyway... any idea what the Tigers might do in Free Agency? I've heard that Ilitch has the budget a little more under control and is willing to open up the checkbook a bit. Obviously the likes of Vlad, Tejada, and Pettitte aren't coming to Detroit, but I'm curious as to what mid-level talents the Tigers might be able to bring in to at least field a competitive team this year.Anyone?
Jose Lima would be a good fit in that ballpark. Yes, I'm serious. And he would be relatively cheap. And if they are really going to spend a little more I also think that Sterling Hitchcock would be gold for them, but he might be just out of their price range after they already get Lima.As for offense, what do they need? I'm guessing outfield and 1B or 3B.Joe Randa might be a nice player for them. Good gap hitter with a decent contact swing. He also plays a good 3B and PAlmer is a FA.It sounds crazy, but an outfielder like Raul Mondesi would be perfect on that team. I know he will be expensive, but I gotta think that if the Tigers can put together an offseason that sees Lima, Hitchcock, Randa and Mondesi come in, they should be able to put together 70+ wins.But they are probably going to go for guys that had not too great years for basement level prices. Guys like Jeff Hammonds, maybe they bring Tony Clark back at a minor league salary, a Kenny Lofton or Ellis Burks type player would be nice on that team.All in all, there are players there for them if they spend some money.

The one guy Im interested in going after is Castillo. I think he would be a great fit at the top of the order and he plays great defense at 2B.Also IF THE YANKEES TRADE SORIANO I WILL FLIP OUT :hot: :hot: :hot: I saw in the paper they may offer Soriano for Beltran.
I agree.Soriano for Beltran is an awful, awful idea.

Ok.......I am a Sox fan......AND I LOVE SORIANO!!!!!All this guy needs is 3 months of coaching in Florida with a good coach and he will come out as a .350 hitter with 50 home runs and 40 steals.Soriano would look AWSOME right after Damon. They would be an excellent 1-2 punch at the top of the lineup!___________________________Moving on._____________________Colon would make me piss my pants. I would gush if we sign him. I saw him pitch vs the Red Sox and this guy is awsome. I just saw on TV that Colon rejected a 3 year, 36 million doller deal with the White Sox, so he is looking for a huge deal, but I think he is worth it. He is the perfect power/inning pitcher.Nomar is a Hall of Famer. No question. If he is traded, he will explode and possibly bat .400 and become legendary. And that hurt to think about. Right now, Nomar is just no playing well in NE. This is a bad enviroment for him. The Shilling trade sounds nice, but I want more then that. Shilling will play maybe 3-4 more years. Nomar will play 7-8 more years. I know Nomar won't do as well here as he will do somewhere else, but maybe I could be wrong. If we trade Nomar, I want it to more then some 37 years old pitcher.I want to eject Manny and Pedro. I know that they are two of the most talented players in baseball, but they just don't fit the new Red Sox who are very image conscious and Pedro and Manny arn't media friendly. I know they are good players, but I don't want selfish players like them on the Sox. I can live with them, but I want to see them somewhere else.I like the offense as it is. Maybe a few modifications like I mentioned, but I can live with them coming back.The bullpen is gonna be awsome. They are good, and they have finnally realized their talent. The starting pitching is the weakness. Pedro, Wake, Lowe, Burcket, and Suppan. I think that unit will be changed very much.

Hey, if we are talking trades as well, there is a lot of talk out here that the Yankees might actually trade Soriano instead of just moving him to the outfield.How about Soriano, Weaver, Lieber and some prospects to the Giants for Jason Schmidt?
I'm drinkin' the Koolaid if the Giants trade Schmidt to the Yankees.

Colon would make me piss my pants. I would gush if we sign him. I saw him pitch vs the Red Sox and this guy is awsome. I just saw on TV that Colon rejected a 3 year, 36 million doller deal with the White Sox, so he is looking for a huge deal, but I think he is worth it. He is the perfect power/inning pitcher.
Is the time you saw him pitch against the Sox back when he was in Cleveland. Remember? When he had a svelte 48 inch waist? Seriously, I have an interest in Colon, but he's not the same guy he was before. He needs some of whatever conditioning Clemens adopted when he went to Toronto.
Nomar is a Hall of Famer. No question. If he is traded, he will explode and possibly bat .400 and become legendary. And that hurt to think about. Right now, Nomar is just no playing well in NE. This is a bad enviroment for him.
If he is traded he will in no way bat .400. I don't see him ever besting his career best years again, and certainly not if he doesn't have Fenway.
The Shilling trade sounds nice, but I want more then that. Shilling will play maybe 3-4 more years. Nomar will play 7-8 more years. I know Nomar won't do as well here as he will do somewhere else, but maybe I could be wrong. If we trade Nomar, I want it to more then some 37 years old pitcher.
I pretty much agree, but remember, you are only trading one year of Nomar, not 7-8 more years - so 3 years of Schilling might be worth it. I don't think Nomar is inclined to re-sign with Boston anyway, and certainly not for a discount.
I want to eject Manny and Pedro. I know that they are two of the most talented players in baseball, but they just don't fit the new Red Sox who are very image conscious and Pedro and Manny arn't media friendly. I know they are good players, but I don't want selfish players like them on the Sox. I can live with them, but I want to see them somewhere else.
It's this kind of shortsightedness that loses us top level free agents. Pedro is a top 5 pitcher. Manny is a top 10 hitter. But they don't talk to the media! Who the F' cares? Keep the superstar players. How about trading away the hack Boston sports media?
The bullpen is gonna be awsome. They are good, and they have finnally realized their talent. The starting pitching is the weakness. Pedro, Wake, Lowe, Burcket, and Suppan. I think that unit will be changed very much.
The bullpen is gonna be awesome. The starters are a weakness, I guess, but not in comparison to the starting rotations of most of MLB. Pedro, Lowe, Kim, Wakefield, Fossum is a starting rotation you can feel pretty comfortable with. And yes, I know Kim isn't media-friendly, but that's an over-rated state anyway.

I have read several places that the biggest name available right now (although not a free agent) is A-Rod. The Rangers are listening to offers and would even help pay some of his mega salary.I also have seen that the Red Sox are so disenchanted with BK Kim that the odds of him being with the team next year are slim.I also read today that Todd Walker may very well stay with the Sox for less money than on the open market. In general, though, the free agent market will see smaller contracts as teams are again pleading poverty.With regard to Nomar, the Boston papers have pretty much said Nomar is the odd man out, as the Sox won't be able to afford Manny, Pedro, Nomar, and several other players who will need new contracts. With a top SS prospect excelling in the minors, Nomar is somewhat expendable.

I have read several places that the biggest name available right now (although not a free agent) is A-Rod. The Rangers are listening to offers and would even help pay some of his mega salary.I also have seen that the Red Sox are so disenchanted with BK Kim that the odds of him being with the team next year are slim.I also read today that Todd Walker may very well stay with the Sox for less money than on the open market. In general, though, the free agent market will see smaller contracts as teams are again pleading poverty.With regard to Nomar, the Boston papers have pretty much said Nomar is the odd man out, as the Sox won't be able to afford Manny, Pedro, Nomar, and several other players who will need new contracts. With a top SS prospect excelling in the minors, Nomar is somewhat expendable.
There are only a handful of teams that could take on Pay Rod, and there are only a handful of teams that would consider taking on Manny. I wonder if that's a possible match. The Sox can't pay Nomar, and A Rod (in Fenway!) plus a decent outfielder could replace Manny and Nomar's numbers, possibly for less money than Manny's current contract plus Nomar's value on the open market. It would be a wierd way to get out from under Manny's contract, but if the numbers worked out that way, I'd be all for it.

It would be a wierd way to get out from under Manny's contract, but if the numbers worked out that way, I'd be all for it.
For future reference.... taking ARod's contract for ManRam's contract doesn't constitute eliminating ManRam's contract... it is ADDING payroll. :rolleyes: GDB Big Market Team Fans... ;)

Cardinal fan chirping in -Here is hoping that we divest ourselves of Drew and Vina. Land a solid #3 SP and some middle relief help. Finally, land Todd Walker to replace Vina. Bo Hart is a nice story, but Walker has some serious potential.Won't happen though. Pujols is going to eat up a lot of the available money.Seriously if we had a decent #3 and could drop Tomko to the #4 we'd be alright. Losing LaRussa won't make me overly sad either.

Cardinal fan chirping in -Here is hoping that we divest ourselves of Drew and Vina. Land a solid #3 SP and some middle relief help. Finally, land Todd Walker to replace Vina. Bo Hart is a nice story, but Walker has some serious potential.Won't happen though. Pujols is going to eat up a lot of the available money.Seriously if we had a decent #3 and could drop Tomko to the #4 we'd be alright. Losing LaRussa won't make me overly sad either.
As a huge Cardinal fan.. I have to agree that Vina is gone. But I don't agree that Todd Walker is the answer at 2B. It may be a reach now that they he had such success in the post season spotlight... but Luis Castillo had expressed serious interest in reuniting with DP partner Edgar Renteria and topping a very powerful lineup. I'm not sure we will be able to fork the dough for him though.I am still upset over the Tino signing, and he is the very guy that is going to keep us from affording an upper echelon starter this offseason. :(

For future reference.... taking ARod's contract for ManRam's contract doesn't constitute eliminating ManRam's contract... it is ADDING payroll. :rolleyes: GDB Big Market Team Fans... ;)
Is ManRam the funniest nickname in professional sports?

ARod is on the market. Interesting.This could be a extremely exciting offseason. It's clear that George is the only owner that will spend unlimited money on players, as most of the rest of the owners are trying to show restraint. The salaries aren't going to be there for a lot of guys, and now you guys are saying that huge name/contracts are out there to be had via trade like Nomar, ARod, Schilling, and even Soriano.The balance of power could seriously swing to a new set of teams if some of the possible trades happen.It seems to me that if the moving ARod talk is serious, there are only 3 teams that will make a try at him - the Mets, Dodgers and Orioles.Of those 3, I can seriously see the Mets getting him. The ownership and the fan base is still #####ing because they didn't get him last time. But who do they give the Rangers in return? Reyes? After all the crap that went on with not wanting to lose this kid, do you now trade him? If it's for ARod, I say yes.Give the Rangers Reyes and one of those blue chip stud pitchers that the Mets picked up during the trades this year and take ARod in a second - especially if the Rangers will pick up some of the bill.

Unfortunately, Nomar is probably going to be dealt. I would much rather send Manny packing, but who is going to take him on. Almost 20 million and Manny world doesn't attract too many. As a Sox fan I hope they don't do too much. I am not a big fan of Colon, at least not at 12+ million. If the price was right, I wouldn't mind, but he isn't worth what he is asking. I think all they need to do is sign one decent #2 guy to the rotation and make kim a starter. Pedro, Lowe, free agent, Kim and Wakefield is a very good starting five. Who knows, but from what I am hearing, the Sox are not about to spend a lot of money this offseason.

Unfortunately, Nomar is probably going to be dealt. I would much rather send Manny packing, but who is going to take him on. Almost 20 million and Manny world doesn't attract too many. As a Sox fan I hope they don't do too much. I am not a big fan of Colon, at least not at 12+ million. If the price was right, I wouldn't mind, but he isn't worth what he is asking. I think all they need to do is sign one decent #2 guy to the rotation and make kim a starter. Pedro, Lowe, free agent, Kim and Wakefield is a very good starting five. Who knows, but from what I am hearing, the Sox are not about to spend a lot of money this offseason.
It pains me to type this because I hate him so.Manny would be a perfect fit on the Yankees.The only thing that doesn't fit is the fact that the Red Sox ownership and Yankees ownership could seriously kill each other over something as small as a parking spot, so I don't think a deal that would be this big would ever happen.Thankfully.Where would Nomar go?I keep saying the Dodgers and Orioles are going to be spenders this year. Is that it? Could he go to a team like the Astros? I heard they are going to let the GM spend a tad more. He'd be scary ugly at homerun field.

If Nomar goes everybody says it will be to the West coast, and really that only leaves the Dodgers or San Diego (Seattle is out, San Fran and Oakland wouldn't pay). Both were supposedly interested in the past but right now people are saying San Diego has cooled off (and these are bogus, unsubstantiated, fourth person rumors). LA is supposedly still very interested, but also a good possibility to sign Tejada instead.It's basically assumed that Nomar doesn't have that much interest in staying in Boston, and will finish his career somewhere in California.

Users who are viewing this thread