What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Android apps (1 Viewer)

JMon348

Footballguy
What are some of your favorites?

Where do you go to get them?

Im getting the Droid for Verizon tomorrow and want to know what the best ones are.

Ive read about the NBA League pass app for $40 where you can watch live games, do they have one for the NFL Sunday ticket? I know the Sprint network has one and Im pretty sure the iPhone does too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ones I can't live without:

ShopSavvy

SportsTap

Gmote

Pandora

Google Finance

And I need these widgets:

GPS

Wi-Fi

SportsTap

Weather

If you are looking for games, there is only one that is good "Orbs.Knockoff"....well ok, there are others, but that one is mine :tinfoilhat:

are these available on other android-running phones? the wife and i are considering the Tmobile 3G "mytouch" which also runs android...

Ones I can't live without:ShopSavvySportsTapGmotePandoraGoogle FinanceAnd I need these widgets:GPSWi-FiSportsTapWeatherIf you are looking for games, there is only one that is good "Orbs.Knockoff"....well ok, there are others, but that one is mine :pickle:
What's gmote?

Can someone describe the process for setting up your phone and/or PC for a day one user with their first smartphone?

I love iDroidPhone.. after installation, i can only run one App at-a-time, and every now and then, the forces of political correctness at Apple censor random Apps

THere is afree one out there that allows you to take pictures and it converts the picture to a PDF. The guy showing it to me was saying how he'll take a picture of his company's weekly work schedule (cell phone kiosk at Sam's Club) as soon as it comes out on Monday and email it to his coworkers. Better then a JPG/Photo for stuff like that.

shopsavvy is great and orbs.knockoff is cool (though I only have the trial version.)

PDAnet is a program that costs $29 and then lets you tether the phone to a laptop for instant internet access anywhere.

Flashlight I like (may come installed)

WeatherChannel is a good one.

My 4-yo daughter loves Zebra Paint

Last.fm streams music, kind of like a pandora (Pandora is supposed to be working on a G1 app)

Ringdroid lets turn any mp3 into your ringtone (editing to whatever time length you want)

PDF viewer isn't perfect, but works more often than not.

Can someone describe the process for setting up your phone and/or PC for a day one user with their first smartphone?
did you pick up the droid, fred?
Went through my corporate rep. It arrives tomorrow. This is far and away the most excited I've been for a new gadget in ages.
i think we're going to leave VZW. we can get the same deal with Tmobile for $50 less a month. the droid does look cool - i handled one over the weekend - but i think we're going to make the switch. the tmobile mytouch 3g or a blackberry are the likely new phones for us.

With Android you just plug the mini usb in, there...you're setup!
Not quite. I just got mine on Friday. To allow your PC to read the Droid you have to pull down the notification bar when your droid is plugged into your computer . press on the usb notification , press mount. Once mounted you can read.My apps so far:Pandora (didn't start working until today)ASTRO -file manager lets you poke around and move files in the phoneLive football scores -from Citizen sportsFlixster -gives you all your local movies playtimesShopsavvy - turn your camera into a barcode snanner that tells you the best price for the product locally and on the web AMAZING!

Day One: I love this phone. I will eventually stop being addicted to the apps market. I understand why people don't love the keyboard, but I do - I hate onscreen keyboard. I love the UI so far, find the phone workable, and have been impressed with the battery life compared to my old phone. Hard to say how much of my love here is for the Droid and how much is for my first smartphone (I've used other ones, but this is far and away the most advanced phone I've ever owned). But I'm absolutely enamored

To use an MP3 as a ringtone, just play the song in the android media player and while it's playing tap the menu key and select "Use as Ringtone".

http://androidforums.com/motorola-droid/14...aster-eggs.html

I found it annoying that you had to go through the settings in order to change your ringer from loud/vibrate/silent. I downloaded this great free widget called Ringer Toggle Widget which can sit on your home page and switches between loud/vibrate/silent with a hit of a button.

Locale - Can use your GPS location, time, or network availability to change settings like ringtone. So you can have it turn your ringer to vibrate when you get to work, for example, or have it turn off your volume at night.

To use an MP3 as a ringtone, just play the song in the android media player and while it's playing tap the menu key and select "Use as Ringtone".

I found it annoying that you had to go through the settings in order to change your ringer from loud/vibrate/silent. I downloaded this great free widget called Ringer Toggle Widget which can sit on your home page and switches between loud/vibrate/silent with a hit of a button.

Locale - Can use your GPS location, time, or network availability to change settings like ringtone. So you can have it turn your ringer to vibrate when you get to work, for example, or have it turn off your volume at night.
That is pretty sweet right there.

Haven't really searched for too many apps, but this is what I have so far. I like these alot:

New York Times - perfect news app. Love it, check it out in the morning.

Weather Channel

Sports Tap - After downloading a ton of sports apps, finally found the best. Everything I need for sports

Similarly, wifi on/off lets you toggle this option with one click of the widget on your home page.

I've had the Samsung Moment for a couple of weeks and like it a lot. I'll be glad when they announce upgrade to droid 2.0. Apps I use that haven't already been mentioned:

Dolphin browser to replace stock browser

Quick Settings

Picsay

Google Voice

Handcent SMS as replacement for stock sms app

NBA Live app

Twidroid as Twitter client

Astrid, task manager that syncs with Remember the Milk

Where is pretty cool. Use GPS to get your location, then find area gas station/prices, movie times, restaurants, traffic, etc.

Think I need to get voicetext or something like it. Always getting texts while driving.

Similarly, wifi on/off lets you toggle this option with one click of the widget on your home page.
I love this wifi on/off app, i have it on the main "home page" of my droid "desktop"

What about google goggle...is it as killer as it seems?
wow this is cool never heard of it till i saw your post. was playing around with it and it seems to work pretty well.Though Shop Savvy was better at finding lower prices of a couple of books i took pictures of when I had Google Googles vs Shop Savvy just now.

But the ability to take a pic of a business card and have all that info imported into your contacts is dope (though when you do it, be sure to try and mainly focus on the name and number info, if you take a pic of the company logo as well it'll lookup the company on google search rather than copy the contact info.

I love this wifi on/off app, i have it on the main "home page" of my droid "desktop"
I got a battery widget. Shows your battery level. Click/touch it and it pops up a screen to turn off GPS, wifi or bluetooth.

You can do the same thing with the standard "Power Control" widget that is already on the phone. Lets you turn on/off wifi, bluetooth, gps, sync and the backlight. Just hold your finger down on the desktop area till the option comes up to add a shortcut, widget, etc....choose widget...then select power control.Haven't tried the wifo on/off app, but i figure this does the same thing, but lets you control a couple other things as well.

I like WeFi. It automatically finds and connects you to available WiFi spots. You can also turn off WiFi in a couple of clicks so I got rid of the WiFi on/off widget.

Google Sky is pretty awesome for those with a little interest in astronomy. Basically it's a star map that uses your GPS to tell you what you are looking at in the sky.

Note Everything is a note taking app that lets you make text, paint or voice notes and organize them into folders.

NewsRob seems to be the best interface for Google Reader.

Shazam listens to songs and identifies them as well as artist/album. Same app is available for IPhone.

The Barcode Scanner is pretty cool. I got an extension for Firefox that creates QR codes so I can just scan them into my phone to transfer URLs or other info.

ConveyThis is a good translator. Even does the dirty words.

Finally, Magic 8-Ball gives me the answers to my questions just by shaking my phone.

shopsavvy is great and orbs.knockoff is cool (though I only have the trial version.)

PDAnet is a program that costs $29 and then lets you tether the phone to a laptop for instant internet access anywhere.

Last.fm streams music, kind of like a pandora (Pandora is supposed to be working on a G1 app)

Ringdroid lets turn any mp3 into your ringtone (editing to whatever time length you want)

I just went to the market and there are nine apps called Flashlight. Can you elaborate on which one you are recommending?

I just went to the market and there are nine apps called Flashlight. Can you elaborate on which one you are recommending?
The one I have was developed by Devesh Parekh. Very simple, just push the button and the whole screen turns a bright white.

Just got a Droid after 4 ####ty blackberry tours.

Aside from the "regular" apps (gmail, google maps, facebook, etc.), here are the apps & widgets I have installed:

Beautiful Widgets (paid app) - adds an integrated weather widget into the clock, plus one-touch widgets for Bluetooth, GPS, Wifi, Airplane mode, etc.

NewsRob - I'm not sure why there's not a Google Reader app on a phone with a Google OS, but this app does pretty much all the same stuff.

Google Finance

SportsTap - nice widget

USA Today

ShopSavvy

Droidlight LED Flashlight

Google Goggles - this app doesn't have a particular use (that I've found), but it's pretty amazing nonetheless.

Just got a Droid after 4 ####ty blackberry tours.

Aside from the "regular" apps (gmail, google maps, facebook, etc.), here are the apps & widgets I have installed:

Beautiful Widgets (paid app) - adds an integrated weather widget into the clock, plus one-touch widgets for Bluetooth, GPS, Wifi, Airplane mode, etc.

NewsRob - I'm not sure why there's not a Google Reader app on a phone with a Google OS, but this app does pretty much all the same stuff.

Google Finance

SportsTap - nice widget

USA Today

ShopSavvy

Droidlight LED Flashlight

Google Goggles - this app doesn't have a particular use (that I've found), but it's pretty amazing nonetheless.
The USA Today app is awesome. Very well done for a mobile device.Google Listen is good for "Podcasts"

Locale is great, but I almost choked on the $9.99 price.

Got a number of apps for my toddler that he enjoys:

Kidroid (matching images, words, sounds)

Zebra Paint (sort of like blank coloring book pages with photoshop fill feature)

Kids Paint (allows kid to paint with fingers)

These have come in super handy when you need the kid to chill for a few minutes while in public, in line, at a restaurant, etc..

A few more:

Zedge - ringer/wallpaper app

LiveStrong - I'm tracking my diet/exercise on the LiveStrong.com site. This app syncs with the web. Additionally, it allows me to use the camera as a barcode scanner to enter food items that came with a barcode. For instance, I ate a SmartOne meal for lunch, scanned the barcode on the box, and it entered all of the dietary information for me (and then synced with the web app). It's not perfect, but it is incredibly cool and useful. Costs $3.

Evernote - I'm just starting to use this, but it's been popular on the web for a while

OrbLive - I have this on my IPod Touch and love it. It's now available in the Android market. It's still very new, so I'm giving it a few weeks to work out the kinks.

Also, for those with a Samsung Moment, Sprint has come out with a fix for GPS and Battery issues among other things. You have to take your phone to the store at this point (not OTA yet). You might call ahead of time, because some stores don't have a clue how to do it for some reason.

just got the Motorola Droid phone yesterday. I'm looking for a good calendar/organizer app. can anybody recommend something? I want something that has calendar, tasks, to do list, notepad, and maybe contacts, and I want it to sync up either to an online web service or to a desktop app so that I can update things both on my phone and online/desktop.

anybody know of such a thing? or am I better off just syncing up with the Google suite of products (GMail, Google Calendar, GDocs, Contacts, etc.)?

Users who are viewing this thread