What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Android apps (2 Viewers)

Havent' looked too far back but I know this stuff changes quickly.Is there a current consensus for what the best Android phone browser is?Or what you like? And more importantly, why you like it?Thanks.J
I just use the default now. Sometimes I use Skyfire as it still handles flash better imo.
I use the default browser, but with a chrome icon for the shortcut. It's in the app store called "Fake Google Chrome" by Honiware & Biosoft. I'm not sure why I get a kick out of that, but I like it.

Parasailer said:
Joe Bryant said:
Havent' looked too far back but I know this stuff changes quickly.Is there a current consensus for what the best Android phone browser is?Or what you like? And more importantly, why you like it?Thanks.J
Dolphin HD browser
prefer the non HD version. It wraps text in forum posts so I don't have to scroll left and right.

Parasailer said:
Joe Bryant said:
Dolphin HD browser
I like Dolphin HD as well. I used xScope for a while but was having Force Close problems with it.I like it over stock mainly because of the tabs and it seems faster.I've tried Skyfire and have it on my phone still...but they claim that you can easily watch videos with the browser but i've found it to be hit or miss (usually miss)

Wife and I got our phones activated Friday (me the Epic, her the Interceptor) and we are loving it so far. Still need to go through those posts on must-have apps, but man this thing is slick. :rant:

I I

Joe got an X? My Dad got one for his birthday on my suggestion and loves it. He even went to "Droid School" at the Verizon store. Hope you like it. IIRC, you were a Blackberry guy (as was I) for a long time. I'm very glad I switched to the EVO.RE: Apps - Angry Birds is AWESOME. I'm not a big game player on my phone, but I like this one.
I have the free version and it always has issues opening. I'm hesitant to pay for it for this reason. Any problems on your EVO?
Works great (free version). Makes me want to buy the real thing.
weird
I couldn't get it to ever open on my EVO. I thought it was a 2.2 thing.
There was an update to Angry Birds Lite late last week that resolved the issues for me. I have an EVO and I could never get the initial version of Angry Birds to run, but it works great now.

Dumb question - I installed the Handscent SMS program and like it, but I am still getting notifications from that AND the default program. How do I turn off notifications from the other?

Dumb question - I installed the Handscent SMS program and like it, but I am still getting notifications from that AND the default program. How do I turn off notifications from the other?
Go into the default messaging app and bring up the menu and go to settings, turn off notifications.

Froyo is available now for Droid X. I just updated my phone.

Once you've updated go to the market and install flash.

Last edited by a moderator:
anyone using the TIVO app? Is it any good?

Used to have Verizon cable and their free app was really good. Now I switched to RCN, which is partnered with TIVO. The app is .99. I've never paid for an app in my life, but if this works well, then I may have to go for it. (am i really agonizing over 99 cents?)

Just downloading froyo now - any major issues for this rev on the Droid X to be aware of? TIA
Downloaded it this morning and running now. No issues so far.
Ditto...the google voice commands are killer and it comes stock with the 2.2 upgrade. VideoFor Google Chrome (browser) users, the "Chrome to Phone" extension is also really cool. With one push of a button in your Chrome browser, you can send maps, directions, web pages, etc. directly to your phone. I love this extension. Link

Anyone know of any Android Apps that can manage multiple FF leagues? Im looking for something that will allow me to manage my leagues in ESPN, CBS and NFL.com.

Joe do you want to build something like this? Ill pay you!

What do you have for to-do lists with Android? I am looking at Taskos, but it does not show due date, just a list. I would love something closer to Outlook in nature, or even Google tasks in their calendar.

For FF users, like chrometophone there is a foxtophone app.
Can you guys walk me through example ways that you use this app?On another question that is related, what kind of options are available for synching bookmarks? I love love love x marks synching so that I have the same bookmarks on multiple desktops. Is there something like this for the android browser to synch bookmarks?J

Tasker. This is the one app every user should have. There is a learning curve but the possibilties are endless.

Very cool automation app.
looks cool...
I've done a few things so far.When I arrive to work my ringer is set to vibrate only. A text message is created to text my girlfriend that I'm at work.

When I plug in my headphones the iheart app starts.

At home turn on wifi, turn ringer back on.

Advanced Task Killer question - I downloaded but not sure what I'm supposed to do. It shows a bunch of apps that are checked off. Is that really all there is to it?

J

Advanced Task Killer question - I downloaded but not sure what I'm supposed to do. It shows a bunch of apps that are checked off. Is that really all there is to it?J
Install the widget - 1 tap and they are all gone.

OK, not sure if this has been discussed before, but is there a good app that allows access and editing of Google docs? Using the browser for spreadsheets is pretty much teh suck. You would think someone would have created an app for that by now. :thumbup:

CNet from Yesterday - Interesting

Can you guys walk me through example ways that you use this app?On another question that is related, what kind of options are available for synching bookmarks? I love love love x marks synching so that I have the same bookmarks on multiple desktops. Is there something like this for the android browser to synch bookmarks?J
hipple explained it before, but I'll touch on it a little. Say you're surfing the web looking up some grill manufacturer. You're reading all about their product and want to give them a call. You copy their phone number, right click and select chrome (or FF)to phone. The phone number is sent to your phone, phone opens up the phone app, you hit send, call is placed. Say you want to go to their warehouse. Copy the address, chrome to phone, map opens up on the phone with the address. From there you can select to navigate to the address. Can send links to the phone that open up in the browser. You can copy and send text from a web page, it gets sent to the phone clipboard. You can then paste it into a note or another app. It's pretty handy.

hipple explained it before, but I'll touch on it a little. Say you're surfing the web looking up some grill manufacturer. You're reading all about their product and want to give them a call. You copy their phone number, right click and select chrome (or FF)to phone. The phone number is sent to your phone, phone opens up the phone app, you hit send, call is placed. Say you want to go to their warehouse. Copy the address, chrome to phone, map opens up on the phone with the address. From there you can select to navigate to the address. Can send links to the phone that open up in the browser. You can copy and send text from a web page, it gets sent to the phone clipboard. You can then paste it into a note or another app. It's pretty handy.
In some cases, even easier then you describe. When at a web page, simply clicking the phone icon on the top right portion of the browser sends the page to the phone and it automatically opens it up. There is no cutting or pasting. I really like add on to the Google Chrome browser and DX.

In some cases, even easier then you describe. When at a web page, simply clicking the phone icon on the top right portion of the browser sends the page to the phone and it automatically opens it up. There is no cutting or pasting. I really like add on to the Google Chrome browser and DX.
yeah, just touching on it a little. copy/paste pieces of info, send phone, address/map, etc.

yeah, just touching on it a little. copy/paste pieces of info, send phone, address/map, etc.
Thanks. When I"m doing this, I just copy / paste the info to a new google contact and have everything right there permanently. When I call them again or need an email address, it's all right there in an easy to access, consistent app with google contacts. J

quick question regarding Pandora on Android(Droid 2, ver 2.2), Does the Quick Mix function mix the music from all stations? It seems to only play music from one station.

iwabaf said:
quick question regarding Pandora on Android(Droid 2, ver 2.2), Does the Quick Mix function mix the music from all stations? It seems to only play music from one station.
I think as you listen more, and thumbup different songs, the variety will increase...but, I went online and added artists to my different stations...a little customization.

iwabaf said:
I use Pandora alot and the mix option 100% of the time. It definitely works.

iwabaf said:
I think as you listen more, and thumbup different songs, the variety will increase...but, I went online and added artists to my different stations...a little customization.
Thanks! I went online and was able to configure the stations. I was trying unsuccessfully to configure it directly from the Android App.

For you pandora users, how is it on battery life?

I like my droid x pretty well. But the one thing I've been a little disappointed in is battery life. I could go from 6 am to 11 pm on my Blackberry and still be at 50%. Same work on my Droid x and I'm just about out of power at end of day. I'm worried using something like Pandora would really take it down. Thoughts?

Thanks.

J

For you pandora users, how is it on battery life?I like my droid x pretty well. But the one thing I've been a little disappointed in is battery life. I could go from 6 am to 11 pm on my Blackberry and still be at 50%. Same work on my Droid x and I'm just about out of power at end of day. I'm worried using something like Pandora would really take it down. Thoughts?Thanks.J
Joe, try the little battery charging trick mentioned earlier in the thread and see if that helps.

For you pandora users, how is it on battery life?I like my droid x pretty well. But the one thing I've been a little disappointed in is battery life. I could go from 6 am to 11 pm on my Blackberry and still be at 50%. Same work on my Droid x and I'm just about out of power at end of day. I'm worried using something like Pandora would really take it down. Thoughts?Thanks.J
Joe, try the little battery charging trick mentioned earlier in the thread and see if that helps.
Thanks. If I'm understanding right, charge the phone as normal with the phone on. Then when it's charged, power the phone off with the button at the top then select "power off"?J

Thanks. If I'm understanding right, charge the phone as normal with the phone on. Then when it's charged, power the phone off with the button at the top then select "power off"?J
Also make sure GPS is off if you are not using it. Under settings it should be a checkbox under location

Charge it up. Turn it off. Then charge it for another 30+ minutes. Really seems to have helped my battery life.

Hey Joe,Regarding your Pandora question. Yes, Pandora uses alot of battery life, at least in my experience and I use Pandora alot.Regarding the charging question. When your phone reaches 100%, unplug the charging chord and power off the phone by pressing the top button and turn off phone. When phone powered off, plug charger back in (you will get the green battery icon) and allow to charge an additional 45 mins to one hour. You will see a noticeable difference in your battery life. In Droid forums I have visited, many users state that a 100% charge is not a true charge therefore the powering off steps.Additionally with battery life, I have my brightness down to the lowest settings unless it's day time. The screen is the biggest battery hog. Besides that, I run my phone pretty normally with no task killers, etc. If you google droid task killer, you will see alot of Droid geeks that say not to use the Task Killer app and that it causes more harm then good. If you travel, another recommendation is to "*228 option 2" to reset your roaming settings. This will reset which cell towers you are using and recommend to do once every 30 days. I don't travel much and still do it every 30 days to be safe.

Thanks Guys. That's interesting on the task killer doing more harm than good. I was just following the crowd there.

J

Thanks Guys. That's interesting on the task killer doing more harm than good. I was just following the crowd there.J
take it with a grain of salt. there are a small minority of geeks that say it's bad because the system is designed to have open apps just go to cache and not use up memory. I have yet to talk to anyone or even read a post from someone that actually had a problem, and there are far more people that believe it is an essential app.

Thanks Guys. That's interesting on the task killer doing more harm than good. I was just following the crowd there.J
take it with a grain of salt. there are a small minority of geeks that say it's bad because the system is designed to have open apps just go to cache and not use up memory. I have yet to talk to anyone or even read a post from someone that actually had a problem, and there are far more people that believe it is an essential app.
To play Devil's Advocate, I have tried the ATK app and currently have it removed and saw zero difference in battery life, cpu speed, etc. I am no DX expert and simply going on experience.FWIW

Old Shoe said:
Also make sure GPS is off if you are not using it. Under settings it should be a checkbox under location
Battery Widget can also do this - it will show a live battery meter (100%, 90%, 80%, etc.) and if you touch it it will open a prompt that allows you to turn off three of the biggest battery killers out there - GPS, WiFi and Bluetooth. The big thing is that they all use the radio, which is basically like talking on the phone, except instead of a single conversation you start and then hang up, they constantly check to see if there's a GPS signal, or a WiFi signal, or any traffic for them on the WiFi network, or a bluetooth device, and so on. Turning those off when not in use will save a ton of energy on virtually any device.

Users who are viewing this thread