What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Android apps (3 Viewers)

Asked my buddy Todd at lexy and he responded:

Absolutely -- for the Droid, he should direct his mobile browser to FantasyBuzz.Lexy.com. That will allow him to listen continuously to the previous 30 episodes and/or select the ones he wants to listen to. For users with an iPhone, they can download our iPhone app -- do a search at the iTunes app store for "Lexy."Plans are for a Droid app early in 2011.If they want to receive text updates with links for individual shows the minute they're published, they can send a text to 68948 that says: Add Fantasy Buzz. (This is free). They'll get a text message for each new show with the title and a clickable link that will open their mobile browser with that particular episode.
J

PlasmaDogPlasma said:
Thanks Guys. I'll give it another shot. I know I didn't give it a fair trial earlier as I was too impatient.

J
Remember, Swype is adjusting to you also. It will get words right a higher rate after repeated usage.
Guys - dont have Swype but desperately want it. Where/how do I get it?
got mine from their site. a while back they where giving free download for beta testing, not sure any more

http://www.swypeinc.com/

Joe Bryant said:
Twitter question - what android app do you guys like best for twitter?J
I like Seismic - it allows for multiple Twitter accounts and has a nice widget for the home page.As for Swype, it came on my phone, and I love it. I guess if you have and are used to a "real" keyboard, you might have a hard time adjusting, but it is very second-nature after using it a bit. I still make some mistakes, but it's pretty easy and quick to fix.

Absolutely -- for the Droid, he should direct his mobile browser to FantasyBuzz.Lexy.com. That will allow him to listen continuously to the previous 30 episodes and/or select the ones he wants to listen to. For users with an iPhone, they can download our iPhone app -- do a search at the iTunes app store for "Lexy."Plans are for a Droid app early in 2011.If they want to receive text updates with links for individual shows the minute they're published, they can send a text to 68948 that says: Add Fantasy Buzz. (This is free). They'll get a text message for each new show with the title and a clickable link that will open their mobile browser with that particular episode.
J
Thanks a bunch for checking into this, but not quite what I am looking for. What I am looking for is mainly an rss feed so I can plug it into google listen, download it like I do the audible and listen while I am driving, because where I do most of my driving, there are areas that I don't get the best cell coverage so streaming gets choppy at times. Hopefully when they come out with an android app it will have what I am looking for.

snellman google app mentioned earlier ummm google listen? I'm not sure but it was also recommended in Cec and Bloom's weekly thread.

Anyone play those really simple stupid Storm 8 games? They're quite addicting, just takes 2-3 minutes.

Joe Bryant said:
Twitter question - what android app do you guys like best for twitter?J
I like Seismic - it allows for multiple Twitter accounts and has a nice widget for the home page.
Tweetdeck too.NFL Tweets is decent for reading, if you don't plan on tweeting on your phone.Twitter apps seem to use up memory pretty quick and with 1000 other things going, I often have a conflict that is easily solved by not using a twitter app. re-topic Zdevice test is a kinda cool app to see for a few minutes. Shows several features in your phones basic setup.atilt 3d labyrinth is a super old game made for the phone old like backgammon dawn of time for games old, but it's cool to see the 3d capabilities of the phone.

I haven't gone through the whole thread, but what is everyone's take on task killers, such as ATK or TaskPanel? I have one installed to help with battery life and memory usage, and I've been using it since I got the phone, but I'm honestly not sure how much good it's doing.

I just recently read an article stating that the Android OS does a very good job of starting up and killing processes on its own: Why You Shouldn't Be Using a Task Killer with Android.

so are the rest of you guys using them, or not using them? any experiences with battery life or memory usage?
I use ATK all the time, usually takes me from 20+MB to 50+MB. Way too many apps running needlessly
Unfortunately, that 20-50+ MBs come back about 4 seconds later..or most of it at least.

snellman google app mentioned earlier ummm google listen? I'm not sure but it was also recommended in Cec and Bloom's weekly thread.
I use google listen for the Audible podcasts, but unfortunately there isn't an rss feed for the five minute audio broadcasts.

PlasmaDogPlasma said:
Thanks Guys. I'll give it another shot. I know I didn't give it a fair trial earlier as I was too impatient.

J
Remember, Swype is adjusting to you also. It will get words right a higher rate after repeated usage.
got mine from their site. a while back they where giving free download for beta testing, not sure any more

Motorolla Droid users have Swype with the 2.2 update.

J
Thanks a bunch for checking into this, but not quite what I am looking for. What I am looking for is mainly an rss feed so I can plug it into google listen, download it like I do the audible and listen while I am driving, because where I do most of my driving, there are areas that I don't get the best cell coverage so streaming gets choppy at times. Hopefully when they come out with an android app it will have what I am looking for.
Yeah it's a pain going to the site on the phone. I've tried.

I use google listen for the Audible podcasts, but unfortunately there isn't an rss feed for the five minute audio broadcasts.
have you tried beyondpod?
Listen does all that is described, the problem is the 5 minute audio has no rss feed or anything to subscribe too.

have you tried beyondpod?
Listen does all that is described, the problem is the 5 minute audio has no rss feed or anything to subscribe to.
Oh, I understand now, sorry 'bout that.If it helps, I think their BTR show has an RSS feed.

My phone just asked me to reboot to install a new OS. Is Gingerbread on the way?
I read that the Nexus One just got an OTA update that wasn't Gingerbread, so I don't know what kind of phone you have, but I'm doubtful.

Last edited by a moderator:
My phone just asked me to reboot to install a new OS. Is Gingerbread on the way?
My phone is on firmware 2.1.1 and absolutely refuses to connect to the ATT server to update. And they put in a nice timer so you can only try once every 24 hours.Anyway, maybe mentioned here, but the kids new favorite game is Hungry Shark. Load of fun eating fish, swimmers, and knocking fishermen out of boats.

So is the consensus that Google Listen is the best way to listen to podcasts on Android? I have been using Stitcher, but it seems very slow (menus) and there seems to be little/no control over seeing past episodes. Plus if it isn't on Stitcher, don't think you can add it.

J

Motorolla Droid users have Swype with the 2.2 update.
Haven't seen anything to that effect. Droid 2 came with Swype pre-installed.

My free trial for slideit expired, but I've found another swype alternative; which appears to be completely free - Shapewriter

http://www.evo4gforum.net/htc-evo-4g-apps/...35538/#msg35538
:lmao: I was just really getting the hang of SlideIt when it expired... right in the middle of typing a text response. :lmao:
same here. first impressions of Shapwriter:It "suggests" words better then slideit or swype

The symbols takes a bit to get used to, but I like the fact that you tap the "@" button and another bar comes above teh keyboard so it doesn't transition back and forth b/w the symbols screen and the regular keyboard

PDAnet is a program that costs $29 and then lets you tether the phone to a laptop for instant internet access anywhere.
PdaNet is really extremely useful. Time Warner Cable has been down a lot lately in California, so I've been tethering to my desktop through the USB port. I'm impressed with how easy PdaNet is to use, and how fast the connection is (although my Verizon connection has been inconsistent lately as well).

Maurile Tremblay said:
PDAnet is a program that costs $29 and then lets you tether the phone to a laptop for instant internet access anywhere.
PdaNet is really extremely useful. Time Warner Cable has been down a lot lately in California, so I've been tethering to my desktop through the USB port. I'm impressed with how easy PdaNet is to use, and how fast the connection is (although my Verizon connection has been inconsistent lately as well).
Is pdanet the preferred way to get internet access for your laptop when you're out of wifi range?

How does that compare to a normal wireless modem? I've had something like this http://www.amazon.com/Verizon-Wireless-USB...e/dp/B000NPGB32 in the past and it's worked fine.

With the Droid X, can I ditch the modem and just use the phone with pdanet? Will performance be the same?

J

Maurile Tremblay said:
Is pdanet the preferred way to get internet access for your laptop when you're out of wifi range?

How does that compare to a normal wireless modem? I've had something like this http://www.amazon.com/Verizon-Wireless-USB...e/dp/B000NPGB32 in the past and it's worked fine.

With the Droid X, can I ditch the modem and just use the phone with pdanet? Will performance be the same?

J
Pretty much

Maurile Tremblay said:

J
With a broadband card (usb modem) you pay a monthly fee for access. With PDANet you do not. It is "skirting" the T&C's of your service agreement with Verizon. The performance is the same since they're both using the same 3G network (but you can't use voice and data at the same time if needed). If you want to stay on the "legal" side of your service agreement you can pay $20 extra per month to use the Droid X as a wifi hotspot.

My free trial for slideit expired, but I've found another swype alternative; which appears to be completely free - Shapewriter

:football: I was just really getting the hang of SlideIt when it expired... right in the middle of typing a text response. :lol:
same here. first impressions of Shapwriter:It "suggests" words better then slideit or swype

The symbols takes a bit to get used to, but I like the fact that you tap the "@" button and another bar comes above teh keyboard so it doesn't transition back and forth b/w the symbols screen and the regular keyboard
Is Shapewriter in the Android market? I couldn't find it with or without a space between shape and writer.

Maurile Tremblay said:

J
With a broadband card (usb modem) you pay a monthly fee for access. With PDANet you do not. It is "skirting" the T&C's of your service agreement with Verizon. The performance is the same since they're both using the same 3G network (but you can't use voice and data at the same time if needed). If you want to stay on the "legal" side of your service agreement you can pay $20 extra per month to use the Droid X as a wifi hotspot.
Easytehter lite is free but you have to downlaod something to your laptop. It works great for basic browsing

:football: I was just really getting the hang of SlideIt when it expired... right in the middle of typing a text response. :lol:

Is Shapewriter in the Android market? I couldn't find it with or without a space between shape and writer.
link

snellman said:
Got an invitation e-mail for swype beta today, will see if I like it or not.
I never got the email. So I logged into the site and clicked "Resend Beta Invite Email" and it was there within a minute.Love playing with this, but it will definitely take some getting used to.Does anyone use Bump for sharing? I signed up my old lady for Swype but it isn't recognizing her login. Just wondering if I could Bump it to her

:thumbdown: I was just really getting the hang of SlideIt when it expired... right in the middle of typing a text response. :thumbup:

link
Thanks. :thumbdown:

I also got the Swype beta e-mail - how long is it good for if you download it? Trying to decide between using this or shapewriter as my permanent app.

I uninstalled swype to do the update but it is now 10 MB, twice the size it used to be. I don't have the room for that on my Eris. I installed SlideIT instead which seems to be working fine though it does not look as polished as Swype.

Is there a browser like Chrome for Android?

I use the sprint browser and well I don't like it.

When trying to go to certain websites with normally free content, it always directs me to pay sites.

Anyone?

:)

Is there a browser like Chrome for Android?I use the sprint browser and well I don't like it.When trying to go to certain websites with normally free content, it always directs me to pay sites.Anyone? :)
Opera Mini might work?

Is there a browser like Chrome for Android?I use the sprint browser and well I don't like it.When trying to go to certain websites with normally free content, it always directs me to pay sites.Anyone? :unsure:
Opera Mini might work?
Do you know this from experience?I downloaded and installed a Chrome Widget, but cannot find it on my phone...... :lol: :bag:

Anybody ever try any of the geo caching apps available for Android?

There are many options available at several different price points.

Users who are viewing this thread