What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Android apps (2 Viewers)

Can anyone recommend a good podcast player?
I use podkicker because its free. The UI takes a bit to get used to, but as far as function goes, it works very well IMO. You can stream or download casts, subscribe to favorites, etc.I havent really tried many others so I cant say how good it is in comparison.

can anyone suggest some e-mail app that will override audio settings?

I just installed a home security camera system - it's not monitored, it's really just a bunch of cameras around my house, from which I can pull up live video feeds on my phone. I can set up e-mail alarms if motion is detected in a particular area at a certain time - maybe near my truck between 11:00PM and 6:00AM, for example. I'd like the e-mail alarm to go to my phone and override any silent mode that I may be in, to give me a chance to check it out. At the same time, I don't want my phone to alert every time newegg sends out a new bit of spam.

any suggestions?

Can anyone recommend a good podcast player?
Dogcatcher has been a great one for me
I really like Doggcatcher, and really like the variable speed feature when you also have Presto installed. I run all my podcasts at 2x - took a bit to get used to it, but now it sounds weird when it is normal speed.
Explain this variable speed to me, I am confused. How does it work?
Listen to the podcast at twice the regular speed. Fast talk.

can anyone suggest some e-mail app that will override audio settings?I just installed a home security camera system - it's not monitored, it's really just a bunch of cameras around my house, from which I can pull up live video feeds on my phone. I can set up e-mail alarms if motion is detected in a particular area at a certain time - maybe near my truck between 11:00PM and 6:00AM, for example. I'd like the e-mail alarm to go to my phone and override any silent mode that I may be in, to give me a chance to check it out. At the same time, I don't want my phone to alert every time newegg sends out a new bit of spam.any suggestions?
Not an email app, but Tasker may be able to do that.

can anyone suggest some e-mail app that will override audio settings?I just installed a home security camera system - it's not monitored, it's really just a bunch of cameras around my house, from which I can pull up live video feeds on my phone. I can set up e-mail alarms if motion is detected in a particular area at a certain time - maybe near my truck between 11:00PM and 6:00AM, for example. I'd like the e-mail alarm to go to my phone and override any silent mode that I may be in, to give me a chance to check it out. At the same time, I don't want my phone to alert every time newegg sends out a new bit of spam.any suggestions?
I set up several different gmail accounts for these type of things. Seems to work out pretty well.

I set up several different gmail accounts for these type of things. Seems to work out pretty well.
how do you set up the g-mail app to alert for particular e-mails?

If I understand you correctly, just set up a new email account for your monitoring system. Then add that new email account and set up the settings for it. Just make sure you only use that email account for your monitoring system so that its not constantly going off for spam etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anybody know if when using Pandora, you can just plug in the artists you want to hear and not a genre of the artist?

Also, is there anything out there that is better than Pandora and free?

Does anybody know if when using Pandora, you can just plug in the artists you want to hear and not a genre of the artist?Also, is there anything out there that is better than Pandora and free?
I mostly use Slacker, it is better for me.And there is a way to search by artist on Pandora - it is one of the options on the create station tab. I use a hacked version when I do Pandora, so I am not exactly sure where it is, but it is there.

I don't know if you really need more than 1 email account. The key is using Tasker. You can set Tasker to look for email from a specific sender. When an email is received where sender = your camera then do something like the following:1) store the current volume settings for reverting back2) turn volume on/up, play desired alert.3) revert to stored volume settingsAlso as an aside, here's a trick to do filtering of messages using just 1 gmail account. Gmail ignores all instances of period characters in gmail addresses when routing incoming email. So emails sent to moleculo@gmail.com, m.oleculo@gmail.com, and mole.culo@gmail.com will all get delivered to the same mailbox. Then in gmail you can set filters to handle incoming emails to each version differently.

I don't know if you really need more than 1 email account. The key is using Tasker. You can set Tasker to look for email from a specific sender. When an email is received where sender = your camera then do something like the following:1) store the current volume settings for reverting back2) turn volume on/up, play desired alert.3) revert to stored volume settingsAlso as an aside, here's a trick to do filtering of messages using just 1 gmail account. Gmail ignores all instances of period characters in gmail addresses when routing incoming email. So emails sent to moleculo@gmail.com, m.oleculo@gmail.com, and mole.culo@gmail.com will all get delivered to the same mailbox. Then in gmail you can set filters to handle incoming emails to each version differently.
As another aside, you can use the + symbol with your gmail account to have unlimited addresses. moleculo+one@gmail.com, moleculo+two@gmail.com, etc. will all be delivered to your email inbox, and you can setup filters based on that address.

Bump as im bored with all the current apps. My current fav's...

Dropbox synched with the laptop. Easily moves files, sends pics I take directly to comp. Nice.

Kingsoft Office - Work spreadsheets and MS Office clone. Downloaded Hackers Keyboard for the directional arrows and tab button for better navigation.

Cam Scanner - take a pic of a document and it .pdf for you. Best of what Ive tested.

Memories - Best journal/diary app Ive tried so far.

Hidden Eye - Takes a pic of anyone trying to get in your phone and fails if you have an inward camera

Just downloaded Sworkit - Gives random exercises to do when youre bored. Looks interesting.

Automateit - a tasker. Havent tried it yet but have some stuff I want to try.

Do you guys ever track how much data you use a month? I still have unlimited data on Verizon and periodally look to see how much I use. Usually its around 2GB, slightly over when I watch a couple netflix vids on there. Sometimes below.

But I was traveling this past week for work and the crappy hotel I was put up at wanted $20/day for internet access (work probably wouldn't reimurse this) so I just used the Foxfi app. Foxfi is awesome...the net was probably only slightly slower than my comcast wireless at home, if that. But just checking now, I've already used nearly 4GB of data and still have 10 days left on my cycle.

Should I expect anything from VZW?

I should try Evernote. I used to really like AK Notepad back when it was kind of like Notepad (the Windows app) — bare bones and extremely simple. But then it became Catch and took on a bunch of bells and whistles that I really didn't want, so I stopped using it. Now I use Google Drive for quick notes, but it's also a little clunky.

Memoires is good, but not really a note-taking app.

Evernote sounds neat... But I've been using Color Note for so long, I'm not sure it is worth trying to change.

Evernote sounds neat... But I've been using Color Note for so long, I'm not sure it is worth trying to change.
I hated color note but love evernote. It takes a minute to get used to it, but auto synching with your laptop/desktop is awesome, especially with the snapshot feature. Snap a pic, and its on my desktop instantly.

Really finding Evernote to be a useful program/app.
I use Evernote for all of my note taking now. Probably my favorite productivity app.
Verbal or do you have to type?
Another Evernote fan here.You can use the native voice feature on your phone to dictate notes. Just hit the microphone on the keyboard and it will enter what you say as text in the note.
Thanks!

I use Evernote for all of my note taking now. Probably my favorite productivity app.
Another Evernote fan here.You can use the native voice feature on your phone to dictate notes. Just hit the microphone on the keyboard and it will enter what you say as text in the note.
Just tried it...awesomeThx.

Anyone looking for a great free weather radar app, search 'Tempest' in the store. Instant animated radar when you tap the app icon. My go to radar app with some cool settings you can tweak.

Anyone looking for a great free weather radar app, search 'Tempest' in the store. Instant animated radar when you tap the app icon. My go to radar app with some cool settings you can tweak.
Weird, I was just searching for weather apps today. Does it come with a widget? I didn't see one listed.I tried out 1Weather. Looks nice but haven't played with it much yet.

Anyone have a decent app that turns documents, pics etc. into pdf's?I started using Camscanner but it's so damn difficult to figure out.Maybe I'm just a dufus

Weird, I was just searching for weather apps today. Does it come with a widget? I didn't see one listed.I tried out 1Weather. Looks nice but haven't played with it much yet.
for weather I use the WGN Weather app.. It does include a widget. Customizable home city, add multiple cities, etc.

It doesnt have a widget. I use Beautiful Widgets for my home screen weather (along with The Weather Channel app) but Tempest for one tap radar.I like BW because I can open BW weather by tapping one part of the widget or TWC by tapping another. I have multiple cities set up in both. Tempest is strictly radar (no forecasts or other info), although you can get storm info, change radar types, and do other cool stuff in the settings.

Thanks!
Evernote and now Pocket are my two favorite apps

Completely agree with Pocket and Evernote, two outstanding apps. I also use any.do for tasks, audible for audio books for my commute, Car Home Ultra as a car dashboard, Falcon Pro as my Twitter client and Dolphin HD as my browser. That's my list of most used apps for anyone looking for new ideas.

'Buddy Ball 2K3 said:
Thanks!
Evernote and now Pocket are my two favorite apps
I use Evernote on occasion, but I don't think you can save docs as a pdf. I'll look at Pocket

If you use Google Reader to manage your RSS feeds, get Press. It doesn't sound all that spectacular (it's just a news reader), and it's not free, so I was very reluctant to try it. But the reviews kept on saying how great it was, so I downloaded it and . . . what a huge difference it makes compared to either the official Google Reader app or to gReader, the two I'd tried before Press. It makes reading newsfeeds so easy and comfortable, even on a phone, that I no longer feel like I have to carry my tablet around with me everywhere so that I'll have reading material.

If you use Google Reader to manage your RSS feeds, get Press. It doesn't sound all that spectacular (it's just a news reader), and it's not free, so I was very reluctant to try it. But the reviews kept on saying how great it was, so I downloaded it and . . . what a huge difference it makes compared to either the official Google Reader app or to gReader, the two I'd tried before Press. It makes reading newsfeeds so easy and comfortable, even on a phone, that I no longer feel like I have to carry my tablet around with me everywhere so that I'll have reading material.
I have heard the same thing... but have so far refused to pay for it. Google Reader may be my most used app... is there that big of a difference?

I have heard the same thing... but have so far refused to pay for it. Google Reader may be my most used app... is there that big of a difference?
For me there really is. It's hard to explain why. It doesn't really do anything that the other readers don't do. It's just that it's organized so well; it's extremely easy to navigate. (And the built-in browser makes it convenient to read blog posts that only show teasers in their RSS feeds — something I generally find very annoying, but it's less annoying with Press.)I used to organize my RSS feeds by subject, but I switched about a year ago to organizing them by priority rankings. I've got my top ten in one folder, my next ten in the next folder, etc. I like that better.

Before using Press, I would very rarely read RSS feeds on my phone or tablet. I usually read them on my desktop because it was so much easier. And while I typically read through my top ten every day, and through 11-20 more often than not, I'd only get to 21-30 about half the time, and it dropped off pretty quickly after that.

Now that I have Press, I've been reading my RSS feeds almost exclusively on my phone or tablet as opposed to my desktop, and I've been keeping up with all eight folders (each one having ten feeds) pretty much every day. I don't actually read all the articles from all eight folders; but I at least skim over the titles to see which ones I feel like reading and which I feel like skipping. Press makes that very convenient.

So for me, it's made a huge difference.

For me there really is. It's hard to explain why. It doesn't really do anything that the other readers don't do. It's just that it's organized so well; it's extremely easy to navigate. (And the built-in browser makes it convenient to read blog posts that only show teasers in their RSS feeds — something I generally find very annoying, but it's less annoying with Press.)
ugh - me too.

Users who are viewing this thread