What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Android apps (3 Viewers)

i am idiot and can't get on the google play store on my new nexus 5.

i am completely phone stupid.
Wait, what?The play store is installed by default on android... Do u have a google account?
yes
I dont understand then... When you click the playstore icon, what happens?
never-ending circle
Wifi or radio?
not sure.

You dont know if youre connected to wifi or not?

Maybe a flip phone was in your best interest haha

Try turning off the phone. Restart and see if it works. Never had a 'neverending circle' since Ive been on android... Which is years and years

Last edited by a moderator:

Try turning off the phone. Restart and see if it works. Never had a 'neverending circle' since Ive been on android... Which is years and years
i had an iphone for the past few years.

the instruction booklet for this phone is too damn small.

i'm going to google it and see if i can find a version i can read on my laptop.

Visit the xda nexus 5 forums.

And read. You'll learn a ####load about this amazing phone.

Trust me

Oh and they'll answer all your questions if u got em

:lmao: JFC, didn't realize this was such Serious Business.

So back on topic, what are your three favorite android apps?
FoxFi - pretty easy to set up a hotspot without paying for it through Verizon
You don't have to pay for hotspot with Verizon or need a special app to do it. On my Note I just go to settings>more settings> mobile hotspot

You don't have to pay for hotspot with Verizon or need a special app to do it. On my Note I just go to settings>more settings> mobile hotspot
Unless you still have unlimited it's still turned off

Unless you still have unlimited it's still turned off
Yeah, I forgot it's included in the Share Everything plans. Somehow I got to stay with my old unlimited plan when I upgraded, so I use Foxfi.

>Soulfly if you don't mind you seem like the guy to ask about this and I need to upgrade phones soon. Verizon doesn't carry the Nexus, why do you prefer the HTC One to the Galaxy S5?

I am reading a ton of mixed opinions about the HTC Duo camera, it seems pretty cool to me but lots of people seem to feel it is a gimmick that has little practical application (the dual focus thing) and offers no improvement on actual picture quality.

I would love to hear your thoughts about it vs the Galaxy S5.

Bgr last week published both the htc memo and the samsung memo that were given to best buy employees comparing those two phones from the perspective of each manufacturer.

Bgr last week published both the htc memo and the samsung memo that were given to best buy employees comparing those two phones from the perspective of each manufacturer.
I read that, it was a bunch of fluff sales pitches from the manufacturers. Not much meat on those bones.

>Soulfly if you don't mind you seem like the guy to ask about this and I need to upgrade phones soon. Verizon doesn't carry the Nexus, why do you prefer the HTC One to the Galaxy S5?

I am reading a ton of mixed opinions about the HTC Duo camera, it seems pretty cool to me but lots of people seem to feel it is a gimmick that has little practical application (the dual focus thing) and offers no improvement on actual picture quality.

realistically, you cant go wrong with either phone. both top notch.

to me, it comes down to not ebing a lover of all the samsung bloatware and their launcher....

imo, go into the store and play around with both.. build quality of HTC is amazing, and their speakers are crazy good for a phone... display etc and the rest is equal on both...

fool around with the OS, and see which you prefer... you wont get a true feel, but youll notice differences... and imo, while both great phones, the HTC is the better overall android experience.

there's VERY little differentiation between phones these days... it all comes down to how it feels in your hands, and how the launcher/os is set up for your experience...

Soulfly. What case do you rock for your Nexus 5? Im using a Spigen Slim Armor, but thinking about changing it. any suggestions?

I read that, it was a bunch of fluff sales pitches from the manufacturers. Not much meat on those bones.
What are you expecting? They are both outstanding devices and "better " is going to come down to personal preference more than anything else.

to me, it comes down to not ebing a lover of all the samsung bloatware and their launcher....

imo, go into the store and play around with both.. build quality of HTC is amazing, and their speakers are crazy good for a phone... display etc and the rest is equal on both...

fool around with the OS, and see which you prefer... you wont get a true feel, but youll notice differences... and imo, while both great phones, the HTC is the better overall android experience.

there's VERY little differentiation between phones these days... it all comes down to how it feels in your hands, and how the launcher/os is set up for your experience...
:thumbup:

Thanks

What are you expecting? They are both outstanding devices and "better " is going to come down to personal preference more than anything else.
A well considered response from a well informed non-biased party. Y'know what Soulfly provided.

just a little looseness on the volume button side is all.
email them... theyll send a new one, free.

Also, not that anyone really cares, but I uploaded a screenshot of my home screem - kind of just to show how I like my OS set up and what kind of apps I use

http://i58.tinypic.com/6qgvat.png

I dont like "folders" too much but I do have the one which holds maps, settings, playstore... the rest I want in one click.

Just how I want it.

:thumbup:

Thanks
One thing to consider is how it feels in your pocket(s). The HTC One M8 is a bit longer (taller), while the screen isn't larger - its mostly due to those great external speakers. Personally I view that as a bad thing as the fit is more important to me given the already large size of these devices. How often do you use external speakers anyways?

That being said I would also choose the One M8 - I just like IPS screens better and the phone feels more premium. I'm stoked that they added the SD card slot - that was the dealbreaker for me in the past. Removable battery would be nice (makes rooting easier, on top of the obvious benefits) but there are easy work arounds on tha..

Ya, I should note this:

If you're into rooting and into upping different ROMs on your device - Nexus 5 is the cat's ###.

Basically it's dubbed the "unbrickable" phone... Nexus line is basically a development phone for Google.. a test phone of sorts... and while they dont condone rooting/roms, they know thats what people do, and the phone was basically made for this.

I however, dont. Done it in the past and prefer the stock android the best...

Where is a good Samsung S5 forum?

This is my first galaxy and I am looking for tips and what not. I am not bweiser bad at this but I know I am missing a lot.

Where is a good Samsung S5 forum?

This is my first galaxy and I am looking for tips and what not. I am not bweiser bad at this but I know I am missing a lot.
I assume is you google xda galaxy 5 forum youll find a good one.

Xda forums are the cats meow for info

What camera apps are you guys liking the best? I would love to take some good pictures with minimal skills. In past my pics seem blurry and I could never get the lighting just right. I have moved from to Galaxy S5 from the Droid razr.

Soulfly- I am checking out the Xda forums and they may be over my head. I feel like I am reading a foreign language. I will give it some time though. I have only read the forum about the camera.

What camera apps are you guys liking the best? I would love to take some good pictures with minimal skills. In past my pics seem blurry and I could never get the lighting just right. I have moved from to Galaxy S5 from the Droid razr.

Soulfly- I am checking out the Xda forums and they may be over my head. I feel like I am reading a foreign language. I will give it some time though. I have only read the forum about the camera.
There are usually sticky posts in the "general" forum or "q&a" forum of each phone that has all the basics and tips and tricks.

Id start w those

Check this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2700073

eta: there are a LOT of nerdy posts in these forums, but also TONS of great info

My wife has an app on her I phone. Whenever we go somewhere it gives her deals and alerts for stores in the area. I know Chase field offers this for the IOS system. Is any one aware of a comparable app for the Android system?

I would probably beg to differ on the screen, the HTC is a better quality display, IMO. That said, I have a m7 (just got it actually) and got it after the m8 was released because I didn't want the larger size, plus they ditched the hardware buttons for the onscreen version, and so the screens are basically identical "viewing" area, so the m8 is taller for no real increase in usable screen. (I know the menu bar can be hidden, etc, etc, but it's there often enough to be a nuisance, HTC could have removed the bezel where the hardware buttons used to be and shrunk the phone back down to almost the same size but with the bigger screen.)

Other than the screen, speakers and build quality, then yes, the two phones are pretty comparable.

so, apparently i had WiFi on last night and that's why i was having all those problems.

thanks for the responses.

now gonna look into getting one of these cases.

so, apparently i had WiFi on last night and that's why i was having all those problems.

care to share why?

i use google play on wifi 99% of the time w no issues on my nexuss 5.

was it for initial setup purposes or something?

ps: spigen slim armor from amazon.. 14$, rock solid case

care to share why?

not really sure. went back to t-mobile shop, girl looked at the phone, turned off the wifi and said it was unnecessary.

care to share why?

not really sure. went back to t-mobile shop, girl looked at the phone, turned off the wifi and said it was unnecessary.
???? so you cant use google play while on wifi? that's ridiculous... that's a major issue, imo... considering I think 30-40% of my monthly downloads come from updates and downloading apps... insane.

please try to connect to google apps via wifi now... what happens?

bweiser, try this:

Settings/Wifi/advanced/ unselect "Avoid poor connections"

restart phone and try connect to things using wifi

Is there any reasonable option for a good phone with a removable battery other than the S5?
LG phones also have removable batteries but their phones are a bit stale already vs. the current gen Samsung and HTC's. Samsung's decision to keep the removable battery and microSD slot has earned them a pretty loyal following, imo, which are features that most reviewers don't seem to care about these days. Likely because reviewers usually have more than 2 phones at a time and don't use phones for longer than 6 months.

A well considered response from a well informed non-biased party. Y'know what Soulfly provided.
Didn't his response essentially echo mine - both are great devices and it comes down to user preference. :confused:

care to share why?

This is what I bought and I am happy with it. My only complaint is that it is VERY slick. I wish the back was a little tacky or rubberized. This phone will slide across the table easily and there is no way I can have it sitting on my middle console of the car. One turn and that phone hit the floor. I had an otter box for my last phone and I much preferred the rubber material that prevented sliding issues.

After reading the forums I was directed to I found the protective covering over the camera lens. :bag:

Pictures look much better now. In all fairness it seems like lots of people did not realize there was a protective covering over the lens.

Visit the xda nexus 5 forums.
No, don't do that. If you want a forum to read, check out the AndroidCentral.com Forums. Maybe even go to the main site and search for some of their Android 101 articles.

XDA is for developers.

XDA is for developers.
incorrect

xda is for developers, and newbies.

There is a q&a and general forum for each phone, where you can find questions as stupid as "where is my power button"?

developers keep themselves in the developer subforums of each phone

XDA is for developers.
incorrect

xda is for developers, and newbies.

There is a q&a and general forum for each phone, where you can find questions as stupid as "where is my power button"?

developers keep themselves in the developer subforums of each phone
This!

I'm no where near a developer, but whenever I'm having issues with my phone or want to learn how to do something, XDA is the place to go. Had no clue how to root a phone before going there and readin up on it.

Another good one to check out is Android Central. Lots of news and pretty good forums there too.

Users who are viewing this thread