What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Android apps (2 Viewers)

IFTTT just released their android app. I have used their website to set some useful recipes in the past, do any of you :nerd: have any good mobile uses for this app?

IFTTT just released their android app. I have used their website to set some useful recipes in the past, do any of you :nerd: have any good mobile uses for this app?
I downloaded it yesterday and was trying to think of some good mobile recipes. I saw they have a whole Android Device section.

I removed swype. I would try to edit an email and the ####### cursor would jump to a totally random spot after I had placed it right where I wanted. Frustrating as hell and it hasn't happened since I switched back to the stock keyboard.
Also gave up on this last week.

Spotify vs Google Play Music vs other

Thoughts?
Started with Spotify, moved to Google Play. Selections on both are similar (I think Google has a little wider selection), but I like how Google Play integrates with my phone, so that's what I roll with.
Didn't realize Play was a service similar to Spotify. Spotify has been my favorite app ever, but Google always seems to do things better than others and I love the idea of better integration. Can I save Playlist and albums to my device so I can listen on the subway etc? Same price as Spotify right?

I removed swype. I would try to edit an email and the ####### cursor would jump to a totally random spot after I had placed it right where I wanted. Frustrating as hell and it hasn't happened since I switched back to the stock keyboard.
Also gave up on this last week.
on all text or certain browsers
All. Back to a really good keyboard I forget the name it predicts words at the top as you type. Works pretty well.

I just added Nova over Touchwiz too on the s3. Seems almost the same. Go Launcher looks interesting but seems like they want you to download a million other apps with it?
Yeah Nova is isnt much different than TW as far as function but I love how you can change the size of icons as well as number of rows and columns of icons on your homescreens, which is really cool. Having up to 7 apps in the bottom dock is great, too, as is stacking apps on top of each other to create folders, without having to create an actual folders to drop apps in.Just lots more customizations in Nova over TW.
I use Nova Launcher too... the swipe gestures are where it's at.
Swipe gestures are pay version only right? What do they do?
I am not sure if it is Prime only, but I am running Prime.

I mostly use swipe gestures to launch apps. For example, if I tap my camera icon, the Camera app launches. If I swipe it up, the Photos app launches.

I just checked, I actually have 13 swipe gestures set up on my home sceeen - lol

Thoughts?
Started with Spotify, moved to Google Play. Selections on both are similar (I think Google has a little wider selection), but I like how Google Play integrates with my phone, so that's what I roll with.
Didn't realize Play was a service similar to Spotify. Spotify has been my favorite app ever, but Google always seems to do things better than others and I love the idea of better integration. Can I save Playlist and albums to my device so I can listen on the subway etc? Same price as Spotify right?
I've never used Spotify, but Play has a 30 day free trial so you can play around with it. You can sync playlists and the like between devices but you can't download anything unless you pay for it (or at least I haven't figured out how). That's the rub.

Thoughts?
I've never used Spotify, but Play has a 30 day free trial so you can play around with it. You can sync playlists and the like between devices but you can't download anything unless you pay for it (or at least I haven't figured out how). That's the rub.
Will Play allow you to listen offline if you don't want to stream?

Thoughts?
Not true. Hit the pushpin symbol. It downloads Playlist to your device. Doing it now.

Thoughts?
Not true. Hit the pushpin symbol. It downloads Playlist to your device. Doing it now.
How did I miss that? :lmao:

I guess there's your answer Commish. Thanks Oat!

Thoughts?
How did I miss that? :lmao:

I guess there's your answer Commish. Thanks Oat!
:goodposting:

Thoughts?
if you download the song yes. Also has a setting to just show music on the devicedoh already answered

Last edited by a moderator:

Thoughts?
if you download the song yes. Also has a setting to just show music on the devicedoh already answered
That's ok...have a follow up question....anyway to port my huge spotify collection to Play or do I have to do it all over again?

Try Google keyboard.

Also, Google Play isn't comparable to Spotify. Google Play is a free music player that can stream. Within Google play there is a subscription based service that would be more comparable to Pandora or Spotify. I think it is Play Radio, but I am unfamiliar with it. That is what the free trial is for.

Anybody use a camera app other than the stock one? Not a fan of the new camera that came with the ROM I installed.

Nevermind, just downloaded Google's camera from the play store. Much better.

Couple of questions from an iphone guy.

What's the difference between a widget and an app?

Why do all the android phones have a big display of the time on the home screen when the time is right on that top bar?

The display is a widget. Usually they display the time and weather info. You dont have to run a widget for it on your home screen if you dont want to.

Why do all the android phones have a big display of the time on the home screen when the time is right on that top bar?
On an iphone, you have mostly static icons that will open an app (Facebook, etc.). Andriod allows widgets, which are dynamic icons or larger items that can display all sorts of information. You can have a widget display weather info, or a news feed, sports scores, twitter feed, etc, right on your phone without having to open the associated app. Widgets can also be icons that can toggle certain settings. For instance, I have an icon that I can touch that will quickly cycle through ring/vibrate/silence. I also have one that can toggle my brightness. I have calendar widgets which show me my upcoming appointments without having to open up my calendar app. There are so many widgets they allow you to customize the phone to your needs.

As for the clock display, some folks, me included, like a bigger clock display instead of having to read the small print in the corner. But you don't have to have a clock on your main display at all if you don't want too.

Besides what has been answered, the small clock in the notification bar at the top can be seen when using apps and browsing (unless you choose not to have it up there). For me, having a large clock on the home screen just makes it easier to glance at the time because its in a bigger font in a widget.

Is there a free app out there that will allow my daughter (ipod) to text my phone (android)? I was thinking of Google Hangouts as it now has an SMS feature for texting. We both have GMail accounts, so that's a possibility. Any other ideas?

Thanks guys. Are widgets battery killers?
I've only had mine for a few days, but don't appear to be. Most of them come with a "refresh" button so they appear to just sit there until you do something with them. I'm sure that's configurable, but I'm still in the noob stage.

I've only had mine for a few days, but don't appear to be. Most of them come with a "refresh" button so they appear to just sit there until you do something with them. I'm sure that's configurable, but I'm still in the noob stage.
Yeah, most widgets are configurable like that. Again, a widget could be static until you activate it (I use Google's "What's this song" widget which is a lot like Shazam or Soundhound. Instead of having to open the app, I can just swipe to the screen and hit the widget). Widgets can take some of your battery life away, but I have never used one that I would define as a battery killer.

Thoughts?
That's ok...have a follow up question....anyway to port my huge spotify collection to Play or do I have to do it all over again?
sorry I have no idea on that one

Yeah, most widgets are configurable like that. Again, a widget could be static until you activate it (I use Google's "What's this song" widget which is a lot like Shazam or Soundhound. Instead of having to open the app, I can just swipe to the screen and hit the widget). Widgets can take some of your battery life away, but I have never used one that I would define as a battery killer.
Just did a quick screen record to show how easy it is to add/remove/edit widgets and the small upper clock screen, etc.Http://youtu.be/P2cs3IxuG1Q

Thoughts?
Yes, but it's not perfect since it mislabels songs sometimes or gives you a cover or karaoke version. Here's a guide.

Just did a quick screen record to show how easy it is to add/remove/edit widgets and the small upper clock screen, etc.Http://youtu.be/P2cs3IxuG1Q
I'm sure you told the Jeep story on FBG at some time. Did the Jeep survive?

I'm sure you told the Jeep story on FBG at some time. Did the Jeep survive?
Lol yes I did and no it didnt. Completely submerged in saltwater = history. My buddy got $17k form his insurance company for it though. Since then he keeps his boat at a high and dry marina.

For instance, I have an icon that I can touch that will quickly cycle through ring/vibrate/silence.
What's that called? This would be great since Nexus 5 makes you hold down the power button before popping up the screen for switching ring settings.
Don't you have a toggle in quick settings that does that?

I only use one home screen, everything in black and white or grey, no wallpaper, etc. to save on battery due to the AMOLED screen. Excessive widgets are excessive in Android, especially battery widgets. Unless you use something like Better Battery Stats. Even then, once you get things dialed in and all the apps installed, it's a waste unless you downlaod an app that goes rougue.

I spent way too much time trying to get my device as efficient and lean as could be, but it payed off in performance.

Yeah i have a sound/mute/vibrate in my system tray. Just pull down notifications and press the quick setting button

For instance, I have an icon that I can touch that will quickly cycle through ring/vibrate/silence.
What's that called? This would be great since Nexus 5 makes you hold down the power button before popping up the screen for switching ring settings.
A great one (and the one I use) is called Silent Toggle Widget. I like it better than the built in pull down one because its a single tap and you can put it wherever you want.https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.aiteam.silenttogglewidget

Anybody use a camera app other than the stock one? Not a fan of the new camera that came with the ROM I installed.

Photosphere not working, and lens blur not working...also camera is crashing here and there..seems to be common according to XDA unless you've got a N5 or something running vanilla KK 4.4N5 users, any of you install it yet?

Photosphere not working, and lens blur not working...also camera is crashing here and there..seems to be common according to XDA unless you've got a N5 or something running vanilla KK 4.4
Yeah, you have to be on 4.4 for the Google camera to work. #googledoesthingsbestsincerelyfanboiotis

Photosphere not working, and lens blur not working...also camera is crashing here and there..seems to be common according to XDA unless you've got a N5 or something running vanilla KK 4.4N5 users, any of you install it yet?
Its an awesome camera upgrade on the N5

Its an awesome camera upgrade on the N5
Yeah it seems to be. I like the UI, and it functions for the most part on my ROM...I'm sure it'll have a patch or fix soon enough...so I uninstalled for now.Right now I have the camera with the little half circle controls (which I hate) but the version I have doesn't have photosphere although panorama works fine. I'll stick with it until there's a fix for the Google camera.

Is there a free app out there that will allow my daughter (ipod) to text my phone (android)? I was thinking of Google Hangouts as it now has an SMS feature for texting. We both have GMail accounts, so that's a possibility. Any other ideas?
I use Handcent. I have an android and my daughter an iphone, works no problem.

Thoughts?
Google always seems to do things better than others
Like social media?
I know you are being facetious, but at face-value without the actual number of users taken into consideration, Google+ is a superior product to Facebook. Without people posting what they had for lunch on Google+, it will never have a chance. It is much cleaner and crisper, more content-centric, easier to navigate, and overall geared more to the intellectual uses of social media verses the mind-numbing process of Facebook. Having said that, I continue to use FB as that is where family and friends continue to dwell in digital form.

Thoughts?
Google always seems to do things better than others
Like social media?
I know you are being facetious, but at face-value without the actual number of users taken into consideration, Google+ is a superior product to Facebook. Without people posting what they had for lunch on Google+, it will never have a chance. It is much cleaner and crisper, more content-centric, easier to navigate, and overall geared more to the intellectual uses of social media verses the mind-numbing process of Facebook. Having said that, I continue to use FB as that is where family and friends continue to dwell in digital form.
I've tried it, even before signing into FB. I find it a busy mess that should be more streamlined. It was ok on mobile, but the desktop version has way too much unless I edit it down to where my interests are. I followed a few devs on it for Android, but that was it.

I use the 8sms app that Soulfly recommended a while ago. When I open pics that come in texts from people the pic goes full screen at full brightness for a second and then dims. Any ideas on how to fix this? Can't remember if it did the same using Hangouts or stock sms.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/04/unfixable-verizon-galaxy-s5-camera-failures-require-device-replacement/

Some owners of the Verizon version of the Galaxy S5 are running into problems with their new phone's camera: after throwing up a "Warning: Camera Failure" message, the phone's camera becomes completely unusable even if you totally reset the phone. Verizon has acknowledged the problem on its official Twitter account, saying that the company will "work to resolve" the problem "including replacing the device." Samsung has also acknowledged the issue in a statement to DroidLife, saying that affected customers should call Samsung or their carrier directly for warranty service.

Posters in an XDA Developers forum thread dated April 21 were among the first to discover the problem. One user tried force-stopping the app, clearing all of its settings and data, resetting the phone both from the Settings panel and from Recovery Mode, and installing a third-party camera app. None of these steps seem to have fixed the problem, though it's possible that a future software update from Samsung could either fix it or prevent it in phones that haven't been affected.

It's not yet clear whether S5 owners on other carriers are having the same camera problems, though Boy Genius Report says that some Sprint customers are having the same problem. If Samsung or other carriers make further announcements about this problem, we'll update this article.

Users who are viewing this thread