KCC

Netflix "Watch Instantly" gems: FBGs recommended

6,728 posts in this topic

Let's make a list for instant-gratification movie fans. Try to limit recommendations to those you don't have to order and wait a couple days for them to arrive. (I know, Netflix switches these around once in a while, but let's stick with ones we ouselves have "watched instantly".)

My recommendation would be a very cool English series called "Wire In the Blood". It's about a nerdy psychology professor who profiles serial killers and helps the police catch them. I know - it sounds like a familiar setup - but this series is actually very well done, it is more graphic than what you tend to see on American TV, and the acting is terrific. I've watched all six seasons on my computer (via Netflix) and the only clunker in the bunch was one movie done separately from the series where the main character went to America to testify in a Texas trial. The rest of them were very well done. :confused:

KCC, how did you come across this? Was it recommended to you?

No, at least not by a person - Netflix automaticly gives you some suggested things to watch based on your viewing profile. My past selections had a few of what it considered to be "critically acclaimed crime-dramas" and this keep popping up as a suggestion. One night I thought WTF, and tried the first one in the series. I was soon hooked. Edited by KCC

No, at least not by a person - Netflix automaticly gives you some suggested things to watch based on your viewing profile. My past selections had a few of what it considered to be "critically acclaimed crime-dramas" and this keep popping up as a suggestion. One night I thought WTF, and tried the first one in the series. I was soon hooked.
Excellent show.

I had never seen Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels and found it surprisingly entertaining.

I had never seen Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels and found it surprisingly entertaining.

:goodposting: A few, none of which are under the radar:The Good the Bad and the UglyOn the WaterfrontThe TudorsRighteous KillTaxi DriverSpirit of the MarathonRun for your lifeVertigoThe Man who knew too muchThe BirdsCaliforniacationnHeroesLostGlory

Harvard Beats Yale 29-29

Very :mellow: I watched that a few weeks ago and it was terrific. It amazed me how the one former Yale defensive player seemed almost villian like and misremembered himself as making a hit on a key play when the game footage (which is intermixed in the film) clearly showed him on the other side of the field.

Watched Oldboy the other night. Holy #### was it good. An Evening With Kevin Smith 2: Evening Harder was another recent watch, pretty funny. Seasons 4,5, and 6 of Penn and Teller's Bull#### are available instantly, all good.

If you liked movies like Transporter and Crank, you'll like the movie District B13.

I like documentaries a lot and enjoyed two of six or seven I've watched the past few weeks.

The Stone Reader

Nerdcore Rising

I like documentaries a lot and enjoyed two of six or seven I've watched the past few weeks.The Stone ReaderNerdcore Rising

What are these about? ...briefly

I like documentaries a lot and enjoyed two of six or seven I've watched the past few weeks.The Stone ReaderNerdcore Rising

What are these about? ...briefly
The Stone Reader is about a guy who picked back up a book he never finished, ends up becoming obsessed with it and everything involving the author. The Author never wrote another book and it's his journey finding him and nearly everything else to do with the book.Nerdcore Rising is a doc following the first tour of a group of geeks in support of the inventor of "Nerdish" hip hop. It's fun and light, nothing hard hitting. Edited by RebelINS

good thread

haven't seen synecdoche, but in my queue

same with traitor

omega man & boy and his dog (cheesy sci-fi)

assault on precinct 13 (carpenter original)

the mack (blaxploitation)

ken burns 10 disc documentary on the history of jazz

Big Lebowski!

:popcorn: You can never go wrong here. #1 and the best.

I am probably just a few decades behind but I found Druken Master on there this past week and enjoyed it.

The Stripped Documentary wasn't bad..

Its about a girl who decided to become a stripper and her friends.

The Stripped Documentary wasn't bad..Its about a girl who decided to become a stripper and her friends.

:thumbup:

Any seasons of MI-5

Let the Right One In (subtitled)- freaky movie about a child vampire

:sehorn:

I'd love to figure out a smilie for this.

No, at least not by a person - Netflix automaticly gives you some suggested things to watch based on your viewing profile. My past selections had a few of what it considered to be "critically acclaimed crime-dramas" and this keep popping up as a suggestion. One night I thought WTF, and tried the first one in the series. I was soon hooked.
BBC America used to (still does?) carry this. Saw several episodes & agree that it's very good.Eta: BBCA also used to run a show called "Jonathan Creek" 5 or 6 years ago. It was sort of an updating of Agatha Christie/Sherlock Holmes where a brilliant eccentric (I think he was a magician) solves crimes. Well done and entertaining if you like that sort of program. Edited by Uruk-Hai

Bigger Faster Stronger

King of Kong

Big Lebowski

Great Outdoors

Apocolypto

No Country for Old Men

Gonzo

Fear and Loathing

A League of Ordinary Gentleman

I Can Paint That

Inside Deep Throat

Enron

Cocaine Cowboys

Groundhog Day

What about Bob

Carlito's Way

Waterboy

Forrest Gump

Terminator

Rocky

Batman

Domino

Pineapple Express

Ace ventura

Braveheart

Cocaine Cowboys 2

Malcom X

Shawshank

Buy the Ticket Take the ride

The Office

Stand up

Kat Williams

Zack Galifinakis

Daniel Tosh

I also just added a bunch of best of SNL

Edited by QUEZILLA

Bigger Faster StrongerKing of KongBig LebowskiGreat OutdoorsApocolyptoNo Country for Old MenGonzoFear and LoathingA League of Ordinary GentlemanI Can Paint ThatInside Deep ThroatEnronCocaine CowboysGroundhog DayWhat about BobCarlito's WayWaterboyForrest GumpTerminatorRockyBatmanDominoPineapple ExpressAce venturaBraveheartCocaine Cowboys 2Malcom XShawshankBuy the Ticket Take the rideThe OfficeStand upKat Williams Zack GalifinakisDaniel ToshI also just added a bunch of best of SNL

Gold star for you today. Nice list.

is the watch instantly the same for xbox 360

Primer

I suggest watching it two or three times to catch everything you miss.

Quite by accident, an engineer builds a machine that can transport the user back in time. But his discovery comes with an ominous caveat: At the heart of this puzzling device, nothing is as it seems on the surface. David Sullivan and Shane Carruth co-star in this Sundance Film Festival Grand Jury Prize winner, a film whose inventive narrative blends a patchwork story line with overlapping streams of dialogue that help build tension and suspense

Edited by Dexter

The State Within -- this is a 7 part BBC series about a terrorist attack and the diplomacy and subterfuge that goes with it. I got up to episode 3, and then went back to the first episode to review. There are several plotlines going on that will eventually converge. I've been kinda surprised by the quality of this one. Enjoying it a lot, but gotta pay attention.

Bought the Roku player, love it.

Roku

Definitely going to fill my queue with these suggestions. Looking forward to seeing Lost, I have never seen one episode despite great reviews.