What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread) (3 Viewers)

Mindhunter dropped about 3am...currently in the midst of a binge. I might be biased as a big fan of the genre, but I'm thoroughly enjoying it.
Stumbled onto this looking for something new.  I don't want to stop watching.  If you are into this kind of show (period piece, mind of a killer), then you will like this show.

very well done so far. 

tried watching The 100 because I heard good things and am a big sci-fi fan

only made it about 20 minutes. May give it another go but damn the dialogue was stupid
Same...probably won't give it another go....too much to watch, too little time 

My daughter got me into "Jack Whitehall:  Travels with my Father" a comedy "documentary" (partially scripted) of a 20-something English comedian taking a father/son trip to Southeast Asia with his 77 year old father.  It's easily bingeable with six half-hour episodes.   It combines beautifully shot travelogue footage with a lot of humor, both sophomoric (from the son) and deadpan (from the father).

Surprised to see no mention of the new cartoon Big Mouth in here.  Top notch entertainment, and surprisingly sweet. Especially for a show that has a scene of a monster skull-####### the severed head of Garrison Keillor.

30 minutes into Mindhunter and hooked. I literally put this show on my calendar 3 months ago when the first trailer came out. Stoked it's going to pay off. 
So I wanted to give this show a shot last night.  Started it as my wife was coming to bed.  She is extremely squeamish when it comes to violence and anything twisted, so I figured she wouldn't like it anyway, but wasn't sure how graphic it got.

Watching the opening scene and I should have had a clue how it would go when they had male full frontal nudity about 4 minutes in.  My wife climbs into bed and looks at my computer screen and a second later...

The guy blows his head off with a shotgun.  She screams and starts yelling at me about "how can you watch that" and "that is disgusting".  I couldn't help but laugh at her, but it ruined any chances I had at some happyfuntime that night, so thanks Netflix.

So I wanted to give this show a shot last night.  Started it as my wife was coming to bed.  She is extremely squeamish when it comes to violence and anything twisted, so I figured she wouldn't like it anyway, but wasn't sure how graphic it got.

Watching the opening scene and I should have had a clue how it would go when they had male full frontal nudity about 4 minutes in.  My wife climbs into bed and looks at my computer screen and a second later...

The guy blows his head off with a shotgun.  She screams and starts yelling at me about "how can you watch that" and "that is disgusting".  I couldn't help but laugh at her, but it ruined any chances I had at some happyfuntime that night, so thanks Netflix.
At least she didn't get exposed to the broomsticks

Stumbled onto this looking for something new.  I don't want to stop watching.  If you are into this kind of show (period piece, mind of a killer), then you will like this show.

very well done so far. 
Only watched the first episode so far. The lead is a terrible actor but not bad enough to ruin the show. Very well done and my guess is it will keep getting better.

maybe that's it - maybe it's not the actor. It is very short choppy Mamet-like dialogue.
I'm not enjoying the lead actor either... comes across as autistic in delivery, without having the personality traits- so for me, not believable.  but really like the psychologist sidekick, gf and rest of the cast... And enjoying the show quite a bit, especially as it starts getting into more crime solving and less history/setup.

almost finished with Ozarks. I'm not overwhelmed by it and not sure I'd come back for S2. The basic problem is that it's a cast filled with mostly really unlikeable characters. Tough to care, much less root for, a show with everyone just so awful. The folks that one might like are not featured enough. I like Bateman and Linney in most things but this is not for them. They just have no discernible chemistry.

jdoggydogg said:
Loving Mindhunter. This is my favorite new show.
I’m through 4 episodes. I love David Fincher, I love the time period, I love the content (is that weird?). So far, so good. Old cop I recognized as a one off from Fight Club, young cop I can’t get a read on. I can’t tell if he’s not a great actor or if he’s supposed to be like that as the character. It’s the whole Marky Mark in Boogie Nights conundrum for me. 

40% of the way through grade: A

Suburra: Blood on Rome. Italian-made series (with subtitles) that is an apparent prequel to another Italian-made mob movie. 

Sometimes the acting is over the top, the translation is a little too simplified at times, and you can see most plot points coming. But it is shot with beautiful parts of Rome as a backdrop, lots of politics, violence, and back-stabbing intrigue, and I found myself binge-watching the **** out of this over three days.  I actually found myself caring for a couple of the characters. The Mob, the Vatican, and a hot naked Gypsy chick all help give this a fun thumbs up.
Thanks for the heads up... Started this last night. Yeah- the Italians know how to over do things, but it's decent. It's a lot like Gomorrah (on Sundance), but with a wider net of character types- not just gangsters.
wrapped it up.

it's good, not great. some goofy plot-writing in there to go with the typically over the top italian dialogue writing. but some good acting from bald men and yeah- the gypsy chick is hot and naked just enough (when she's not wearing that strange denim skirt). I semi-binged it, but not sure I got drawn in enough to care about any of the characters, all of whom are seriously flawed (mostly in the writing, IMO)... found myself wondering who if anybody would get rubbed out by the end- and found myself not caring. don't know that I'll make it to S2 if there is one.

I’m through 4 episodes. I love David Fincher, I love the time period, I love the content (is that weird?). So far, so good. Old cop I recognized as a one off from Fight Club, young cop I can’t get a read on. I can’t tell if he’s not a great actor or if he’s supposed to be like that as the character. It’s the whole Marky Mark in Boogie Nights conundrum for me. 

40% of the way through grade: A
The young cop was in the good HBO drama Looking. He does earnest very well.

The young cop was in the good HBO drama Looking. He does earnest very well.
my wife says he was also in Glee.

how are people feeling about the oversized location titles? felt bizarre at first- because it was so big for such a small town, but I'm liking them now.

and a guess at the continued mystery perp...

BTK

how are people feeling about the oversized location titles? felt bizarre at first- because it was so big for such a small town, but I'm liking them now.

BTK
Yes, on the spoiler comment.

The location titles didn't bug me.  All the talking bugged me.  It was too long.  They could have spent less time talking and more time fleshing out how the insights they gleaned allowed them to catch some bad guys imo.

Yes, on the spoiler comment.

The location titles didn't bug me.  All the talking bugged me.  It was too long.  They could have spent less time talking and more time fleshing out how the insights they gleaned allowed them to catch some bad guys imo.
feels like it's more a history stuyd of psychology use in FBI/LE than it is a who-dunnit. I'm ok with that... but it means more talky less car-chasey.

BTK
yes on spoiler.  Finally hit me in episode 5.

feels like it's more a history stuyd of psychology use in FBI/LE than it is a who-dunnit. I'm ok with that... but it means more talky less car-chasey.
I agree, but they didn't really telegraph that that would be the focus.  I wasn't expecting it, and frankly a lot of the talky was redundant.

I agree, but they didn't really telegraph that that would be the focus.  I wasn't expecting it, and frankly a lot of the talky was redundant.
agree. I definitely expected more of a thriller genre. the wife keeps waiting for more stuff to happen and is threatening to bail... I realized the talky part early, but have been selling her on the part I spoilered. her bailing means it's yet another show I have to stay up late to watch on my own. too many of those.

Mindhunter fans will enjoy this brief analysis of David Fincher's camera techniques.
I still like it, but it's downhill after first three episodes. After first three episodes, thought it might be one of favorite shows of all time. But it pretty quickly reverts into all their personal relationships, blah, blah, blah. And the cliched storyline of fighting the boss is so, so tiresome. It's like a freaking soap opera. Only have one episode left. Hope that redeems it.

So I actually just finished Mindhunter. Ummm it’s ok. I wasn’t as excited about it at the end as I was up to the middle. It’s worth a watch, but I didn’t love it like I thought I might. 

season 1 final bigmarc27 rating...    B+

I still like it, but it's downhill after first three episodes. After first three episodes, thought it might be one of favorite shows of all time. But it pretty quickly reverts into all their personal relationships, blah, blah, blah. And the cliched storyline of fighting the boss is so, so tiresome. It's like a freaking soap opera. Only have one episode left. Hope that redeems it.
I'm on ep5 and still enjoying it.  I'm a sucker for profiling stuff though.

Side note: in ep5 at the 15:22 mark there's a lady in the background that's a dead ringer for Dr. Zaius

Finished Mindhunter and loved it. Great final sequence. I never thought it slowed down...maybe it can feel that way if you aren't interested in their subject for the episode, though. Looking forward to season 2.

Users who are viewing this thread