Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
KCC

Netflix "Watch Instantly" gems: FBGs recommended

14 hours ago, saintfool said:

"Atlanta" recently added to Hulu. I never watched Community so never saw anything by Glover. A few episodes in now and I'm really enjoying it. Funny and original characters thusfar. 

It's pretty good, and it has a tone that is very original.

On vacation right now, a rainy day so I decided to do some Netflix. Tried Designated Survivor and really like it. Sometimes I think the episode plots are pretty far out there and then it gets me wondering if they are really that far off base? 

1 hour ago, Beef Ravioli said:

On vacation right now, a rainy day so I decided to do some Netflix. Tried Designated Survivor and really like it. Sometimes I think the episode plots are pretty far out there and then it gets me wondering if they are really that far off base? 

Really like that show.. They've done a good job leaving the "24" stuff to Maggie Q which is perfect :wub:

6 hours ago, snogger said:

Really like that show.. They've done a good job leaving the "24" stuff to Maggie Q which is perfect :wub:

I have binged quite a bit of season one over the last couple of days. It’s getting past most of the conspiracy stuff and it’s starting to get to political for me. I don’t want to watch a show and hear political agendas. ?

Started the series on People Vs OJ Simpson. Really enjoying it so far.

"They got F Lee Bailey? He hasn't won anything in 20 years except a drinking game." :lmao:

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Beef Ravioli said:
14 hours ago, snogger said:

I have binged quite a bit of season one over the last couple of days. It’s getting past most of the conspiracy stuff and it’s starting to get to political for me. I don’t want to watch a show and hear political agendas. ?

I think they do a good job mixing Political stuff with the "mystery" stuff.. And, IMO, it hasn't leaned one way or the other in regards to a Political party being bad or good.. Season 2 so far has been really good as well. :thumbup:

Edited by snogger

1 hour ago, snogger said:

I think they do a good job mixing Political stuff with the "mystery" stuff.. And, IMO, it hasn't leaned one way or the other in regards to a Political party being bad or good.. Season 2 so far has been really good as well. :thumbup:

IMO they are slanted to a liberal view point. For instance in the gun control scenes, even though the president is balanced, they make the senator from Montana look like a country bumpkin. The immigration stuff was handled pretty good IMO though. Showed both sides honestly I thought. 

I would just  prefer more conspiracy stuff but it is a show about DC and politics is a reality. I will see how “fair and balanced” it is. 

On 11/7/2017 at 6:58 PM, EYLive said:

I loved the Judah Friedlander comedy special. I knew he was smart but the guy is so quick-witted and knowledgeable about a variety of topics and delivers with a perfect dead-pan. He reminds me a bit of Mitch Hedberg. He also blends high-brow and low-brow humor seamlessly. Highly recommend.

That’s some good standup. Funny guy. 

Long Shot was good.  Only 40 minutes long but a crazy story.

On 11/17/2017 at 7:22 PM, Cold Dead Hands said:

I want to echo the recommendations for The Last Kingdom. I may like this a bit more than Game of Thrones. 

Arooooooooo?

We've been watching an episode of Falling Water here and there (I think it was originally on a network like USA). Kind of interesting concept (dream invasion, like that 80s movie...mindscape?) and decently played out. Main problem is that with the subject topic of sleep and dreaming, it makes both of us fall asleep.

Watched the Jim Carrey / Andy Kaufman documentary. I'm a huge Kaufman fan, so it was fun to relive some of the best bits from the movie. Carrey is an interesting subject...pretentious at times for sure, but he didn't detract from the Kaufman story as much as I expected. Worth watching if you are a fan of Kaufman or Carrey. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JB Breakfast Club said:

Watched the Jim Carrey / Andy Kaufman documentary. I'm a huge Kaufman fan, so it was fun to relive some of the best bits from the movie. Carrey is an interesting subject...pretentious at times for sure, but he didn't detract from the Kaufman story as much as I expected. Worth watching if you are a fan of Kaufman or Carrey. 

Didn't there was a doc, will have to check it out. Didn't Carey play Kaufman in that biopic?

Still working my way through "Mindhunter" and mostly disappointed with it. I'm in the middle of it and it's pretty flabby storytelling right about now.

55 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Didn't there was a doc, will have to check it out. Didn't Carey play Kaufman in that biopic?

Yep, "Man on the Moon".  "Jim & Andy" seems like a look into a method actor playing a method actor. Even the trailer was weird and trippy.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, saintfool said:

Still working my way through "Mindhunter" and mostly disappointed with it. I'm in the middle of it and it's pretty flabby storytelling right about now.

I found the pace, I guess, "flabby"- feel like I've seen enough of this type of story so the setup of how the department is started could've gone a bit faster, rather than take up the entire season. what are you referring to with that that? I also didn't love the lead, even if the portrayal is accurate... I still didn't really buy his method or style. but the pace and show does pick up a bit as it progresses. 

8 hours ago, El Floppo said:

We've been watching an episode of Falling Water here and there (I think it was originally on a network like USA). Kind of interesting concept (dream invasion, like that 80s movie...mindscape?) and decently played out. Main problem is that with the subject topic of sleep and dreaming, it makes both of us fall asleep.

Dreamscape, not Mindscape.  

This sounds like it could be good, but need more than your lukewarm review to jump in.

2 hours ago, El Floppo said:

Yes.  A lot of behind-the-scenes footage shot by Carrey and his assistant during filming of Man On The Moon appears publicly for the first time in the documentary.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, shuke said:

Dreamscape, not Mindscape.  

This sounds like it could be good, but need more than your lukewarm review to jump in.

Right... Dreamscape. We're in it until the end. So far it's decent... Just that watching people constantly fall asleep makes us fall asleep.

7 hours ago, El Floppo said:

I found the pace, I guess, "flabby"- feel like I've seen enough of this type of story so the setup of how the department is started could've gone a bit faster, rather than take up the entire season. what are you referring to with that that? I also didn't love the lead, even if the portrayal is accurate... I still didn't really buy his method or style. but the pace and show does pick up a bit as it progresses. 

i don't care much for the lead guy either. i guess my problem with him and much of the writing/direction of the show is down to this: too much talk. the characters talk way too much. and they say dumb things entirely too often. the FBI was 40+ years deep into its history at the time of this show but you'd never know it by these guys. 

9 hours ago, JB Breakfast Club said:

Thanks. I'm a huge fan of both and I didn't want to watch this because I was so afraid it sucked.

By The People documentary on Obama's 08 election. If you're a political junkie like me it's worth a watch. Otherwise it's a very generic campaign documentary touching on the key moments and revealing absolutely nothing of interest or new.

Get Me Roger Stone Very good documentary about the influential goofy little sleazeball who pretty much epitomizes the worst about dirty politics.  Tracking his career from Nixon to Trump, the film showcases not a mastermind, but a joyful unapologetic soulless opportunist. Loved every minute of it.

Big Sick - Feel like I was tricked into watching a standard, garden-variety RomCom. Does not live up to the hype.

Get Out - Lives up to the hype. Great movie. They supposedly shot a couple alternate endings, both of which sound better than the one they went with, but no complaints.

Edit - Big Sick streaming on Amazon Prime, Get Out on HBO. 

Edited by CletiusMaximus

.... Stranger Things Season 2 ended way to soon... So many enjoyable moments I didn't want it to end... :kicksrock:

Mindhunter — Finished season 1. Only thing worse than the wooden acting of the lead (which was maybe on purpose) was the petrified acting of his gf. Wife and I both just wanted her to disappear. No inflection in voice, served zero purpose in show, just a total whiff. 

BUT I love the crew cut partner and Anna Torv. Wife doesn’t care for every episode me mentioning how trim Torv is. Also the criminals are very well done. Ed is friggin scary. Other guys plenty creepy and hateable. And I am into the story and slow-playing BTK.  I would probably say 3.75 stars. Highly recommended for everything except the acting of the lead and his love.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, facook said:

Mindhunter — Finished season 1. Only thing worse than the wooden acting of the lead (which was maybe on purpose) was the petrified acting of his gf. Wife and I both just wanted her to disappear. No inflection in voice, served zero purpose in show, just a total whiff. 

BUT I love the crew cut partner and Anna Torv. Wife doesn’t care for every episode me mentioning how trim Torv is. Also the criminals are very well done. Ed is friggin scary. Other guys plenty creepy and hateable. And I am into the story and slow-playing BTK.  I would probably say 3.75 stars. Highly recommended for everything except the acting of the lead and his love.

Agree with all of this.

I understand that they're trying to show how his professional life affects his personal one but the real issue is that he just picked the wrong girl.

The show is really good when it's actually dealing with the serial killers - which isn't quite often enough.

And all the non-killer drama in the last three episodes centered around Holden using a bad word. Yawn.

• Like 1

Watched "Carol" last night and thought it was very well done. It maybe wasn't Todd Haynes' best but it was still reasonably well acted and directed. It's gorgeously shot too.

14 minutes ago, saintfool said:

Watched "Carol" last night and thought it was very well done. It maybe wasn't Todd Haynes' best but it was still reasonably well acted and directed. It's gorgeously shot too.

I'll revisit Haynes someday, but he's in the von trier camp for me- no interest in seeing more of their work.

32 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

I'll revisit Haynes someday, but he's in the von trier camp for me- no interest in seeing more of their work.

Are you sure? I sometimes mistake him for Todd Solodnz and his cringe-storytelling like in films like Happiness, Welcome to the Dollhouse and others. Haynes repeats himself too often but I've been in his camp since "Safe".

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, saintfool said:

Are you sure? I sometimes mistake him for Todd Solodnz and his cringe-storytelling like in films like Happiness, Welcome to the Dollhouse and others. Haynes repeats himself too often but I've been in his camp since "Safe".

Dammit. Just did this exact thing mixing them up when floppinho went to a bday party that involved Haynes' latest. I was like wtf with the dad... Haynes, not solondz was his answer. :bag:

3 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Dammit. Just did this exact thing mixing them up when floppinho went to a bday party that involved Haynes' latest. I was like wtf with the dad... Haynes, not solondz was his answer. :bag:

happens to the best of us.

23 hours ago, facook said:

:goodposting:

the worst part is that the GF was like some psychology major and they could have really used her in that capacity a lot more.  Every single scene involving the home lives of the characters felt like filler...or even worse something that's preventing me from watching them interview another subject.

• Like 2

FYI, Netflix is dropping all seasons of It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia in December.

Shot in the Dark is about the ambulance chasers like Gyllenhall in that NightStalker movie or w/e.  It seems kind of dramatized in parts, but it's interesting.

14 minutes ago, Fantasysports1 said:

Netflix is cheap if you get the annual plan.

I don't know that one but it sounds boring.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, shuke said:

FYI, Netflix is dropping all seasons of It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia in December.

That's a bummer.

On 11/25/2017 at 5:52 PM, joffer said:

Anyone try Godless yet?

I only watched the first ep, and so far so good. But I'm having some trouble buying Jeff Daniels as a villain. 

25 minutes ago, EYLive said:

I only watched the first ep, and so far so good. But I'm having some trouble buying Jeff Daniels as a villain. 

I'm 3 episodes in and tend to agree on Jeff Daniels.  It's not so much the acting, as my expectation of a "Western villain" is someone younger.