Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
KCC

Netflix "Watch Instantly" gems: FBGs recommended

Working from home yesterday while recovering from a concussion. I got to watch "Hostiles" with Christian Bale during lunch and I liked it. It's a gorgeous movie but the plot is a mess. I still enjoyed it because of the look of the film. Bale gives another quality performance. He desperately needs to find a comedy to bring some balance to his career.

Movie night over the weekend and we settled on "Herbie Fully Loaded" because my boy loves cars. It's Disney and mostly forgettable as a movie. My son is just beginning to discover girls at this point and was asking me a ton of questions afterwards about Lohan. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jdoggydogg said:
On 2/19/2019 at 6:28 AM, snogger said:

I mean The Punisher was pretty bad. 

Both seasons?? Because if you think Season 1 was bad then.. hmmmm.. not sure who you are as the real jgoggydogg wouldn't post that ;)

Season 2 had some good moments and some really bad ones.. They tried to cram two stories lines into one season.. and now I think we know why..

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, snogger said:

Both seasons?? Because if you think Season 1 was bad then.. hmmmm.. not sure who you are as the real jgoggydogg wouldn't post that ;)

Season 2 had some good moments and some really bad ones.. They tried to cram two stories lines into one season.. and now I think we know why..

I did enjoy season 1, it's true. But that lady who plays the FBI agent is unbearably bad. 

Too hard to search for to see if it has been brought up already, but we are about halfway through the series The Fall. There's only 17 episodes altogether. Set in Ireland, Jamie Dornan (Fifty Shades of Grey) plays a total psycho and Gillian Anderson (X-Files) is the Lead Detective trying to catch him. We think it is an excellent psychological thriller with good character development with some seat squirming moments. (it doesn't hurt that several of the actresses are easy on the eyes.) The knock by some people is that it is a little too slow. FWIW, the first two seasons each got 100% ratings on Rotten Tomatoes.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Anarchy99 said:

Too hard to search for to see if it has been brought up already, but we are about halfway through the series The Fall. There's only 17 episodes altogether. Set in Ireland, Jamie Dornan (Fifty Shades of Grey) plays a total psycho and Gillian Anderson (X-Files) is the Lead Detective trying to catch him. We think it is an excellent psychological thriller with good character development with some seat squirming moments. (it doesn't hurt that several of the actresses are easy on the eyes.) The knock by some people is that it is a little too slow. FWIW, the first two seasons each got 100% ratings on Rotten Tomatoes.

I really liked the first season and thought the second was good but I remember reading here how S3 just completely fell apart and never bothered watching it, taking the word of my GB's here in the FFA.

2 hours ago, saintfool said:

Working from home yesterday while recovering from a concussion. I got to watch "Hostiles" with Christian Bale during lunch and I liked it. It's a gorgeous movie but the plot is a mess. I still enjoyed it because of the look of the film. Bale gives another quality performance. He desperately needs to find a comedy to bring some balance to his career.

I really enjoyed this when I saw it in the theater. I thought it was well done. But I described it as two hours of unrelenting misery broken up by short bursts of incredible violence.

God I miss Movie Pass.

Edited by whoknew
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Anarchy99 said:

This show is great.

2 hours ago, jamny said:

I really liked the first season and thought the second was good but I remember reading here how S3 just completely fell apart and never bothered watching it, taking the word of my GB's here in the FFA.

S1 is mostly very good. S2 is not very good by comparison. S3 is an abomination. Best to stop after S1, imo.

• Like 1

I tried to watch Roma, I think I got 25 minutes in (but it felt like an hour). It's so slow and boring. 

Watched first epi of Umbrella Academy. I won't let me almost 9 year old watch it based on this first episode. Too violent, too mature thematically. That said, I think it looks like a blast and will watch it myself. I like its decidedly non-Marvel/DC roots.

45 minutes ago, saintfool said:

Watched first epi of Umbrella Academy. I won't let me almost 9 year old watch it based on this first episode. Too violent, too mature thematically. That said, I think it looks like a blast and will watch it myself. I like its decidedly non-Marvel/DC roots.

I wasn't impressed by the trailer, but I'm glad you posted this. Now I'm interested...

6 hours ago, saintfool said:

Movie night over the weekend and we settled on "Herbie Fully Loaded" because my boy loves cars. It's Disney and mostly forgettable as a movie. My son is just beginning to discover girls at this point and was asking me a ton of questions afterwards about Lohan. 

The Big Short was sort of a comedy.

2 hours ago, EYLive said:

I tried to watch Roma, I think I got 25 minutes in (but it felt like an hour). It's so slow and boring. 

Watched the whole thing. It never changes.

7 hours ago, jdoggydogg said:

This show is great.

We've gone over this.

S1. Si senior.

S2. Yeah. Ok.

S3. Gtfo

• Like 3

Looking forward to NOS4A2 on AMC this summer.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Dr. Octopus said:

The Big Short was sort of a comedy.

not if you lived it - I would like to kill every POS at Goldman Sachs and few other financial institutions ...that got off scot-free.  

Edited by Binky The Doormat

7 hours ago, Binky The Doormat said:

not if you lived it - I would like to kill every POS at Goldman Sachs and few other financial institutions ...that got off scot-free.  

Yeah it was based a real events that were serious in nature but it was presented in a flippant way with over the top characters. Not a straight up comedy but it had comedic elements.

4 hours ago, Dr. Octopus said:

Yeah it was based a real events that were serious in nature but it was presented in a flippant way with over the top characters. Not a straight up comedy but it had comedic elements.

loved the movie, but yeah the guys giving mortgages to strippers and the synthetic CDO guy in Vegas seemed a little over the top.  But who knows, maybe it really was that bad.

47 minutes ago, snogger said:

Just me?? Maybe I need to get out more.. :lol:

Nope, I think it looks great too.

• Like 1

On 2/19/2019 at 9:27 PM, snogger said:

I barely have time to watch the shows/movies I do like on Netflix so I have no idea how you all find time to watch multiple streaming services. 

Guessing watching shows/movies is your hobby? :shuked: 

I often wonder this myself, how much ####### TV do you people watch? I'm not buying an hour or two a night when you are commenting on multiple series and new release movies. I don't have the time to binge watch anything over a weekend. Binging to me is about 3-4 weeks to watch 10-15 episodes :lmao:

19 hours ago, saintfool said:

Was bored last night and caught the first episode. Looks like a fun series but I wouldn't let kids not in their teens watch it. I'm a lot more conservative than most of you but like @saintfool said, too adult in nature and enough blood & guts to say no go.

52 minutes ago, beer 30 said:
On 2/19/2019 at 8:27 PM, snogger said:

I barely have time to watch the shows/movies I do like on Netflix so I have no idea how you all find time to watch multiple streaming services. 

Guessing watching shows/movies is your hobby? :shuked: 

I often wonder this myself, how much ####### TV do you people watch? I'm not buying an hour or two a night when you are commenting on multiple series and new release movies. I don't have the time to binge watch anything over a weekend. Binging to me is about 3-4 weeks to watch 10-15 episodes :lmao:

:goodposting:  After catching up on the series I wanted to catch-up on, I decided to start up Ozark 3 weeks ago..

As much as I'm enjoying it, I'm just now half way through Season 2... At best I have had time to "binge watch" 2 episodes at a time, but most times it has been 1 episode a day..

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

Watched Ep 1 of Cobra Kai.  

Oh my.  :lmao:

Do you still have to go through youtube to get it?

I'm not one to watch a lot of documentaries.. just not my "thing"..

But this looks like it could be good -

"The Dirt" - Story behind Motley Crue :headbang:

Edited by snogger
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fiddles said:
23 minutes ago, snogger said:

good thing its not a documentary

"Technically" you are correct.. But it is "based on a true story"

so more of a "documentary" then say "This Is Spinal Tap" ;)

Edited by snogger

Just finished season one of Better Call Saul. It was a ramp up season, I get it. Pacing is slow, similar to Breaking Bad, but they deliver with nuggets of awesome that keep me coming back. The Episode where Mike talks about his son was top notch television. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, snogger said:

####in' aye right! Say what you want about the music but that any of those ####ers are still alive is a modern miracle.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kraft... said:

Just finished season one of Better Call Saul. It was a ramp up season, I get it. Pacing is slow, similar to Breaking Bad, but they deliver with nuggets of awesome that keep me coming back. The Episode where Mike talks about his son was top notch television. 

Yea.. we talked about it in the Official thread.. A "Mike" series, at least in my opinion, would be :moneybag:

22 hours ago, saintfool said:

I am 4 episodes in and am really liking this one

1 hour ago, irish eyes said:

Do you still have to go through youtube to get it?

Not sure if I had to, but that's how I watched it.  

1 minute ago, Don't Noonan said:

I want to watch Kobra Kai but can't figure out how to watch on Youtube past episode 2.  :bag:

Ah, do they list it but you cant actually watch unless you have paid YouTube?  I didn't try to do E2. 

9 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

Ah, do they list it but you cant actually watch unless you have paid YouTube?  I didn't try to do E2. 

First 2 episodes were free but you have to pay somehow for episode 3 and up.  I can't figure out how.

6 minutes ago, Don't Noonan said:

First 2 episodes were free but you have to pay somehow for episode 3 and up.  I can't figure out how.

https://www.youtube.com/premium

1 month free trial

Edited by JoeSteeler
  • Like 1

On Prime, there is a season of a Russian show set in Moscow 1960, during Kruschev and the Cold War, called "The Optimists". I watched the first episode out of curiosity. It's a good looking show with the obvious feel of "Mad Men" maybe but set in a Soviet foreign ministry office. It's surprisingly good, imo, and would recommend if you're looking to change things up. Less overtly dramatic than say other period shows like quality shows "The Game" or "The Hour" but still kind of interesting.

• Like 1

On 2/20/2019 at 6:17 PM, snogger said:

For those thinking of leaving Netflix.. I recommend you wait until April as...

This looks GREAT!   https://ew.com/movies/2019/02/20/the-highwaymen-trailer/      :excited:

Probably worth a watch at some point...but man, I was really hoping from looking at url it was a biopic about the country music supergroup of the same name

Only 20mins left in Cobra Kai, and it didn't get better.  Just about everything I hate about the wave of sequels/remakes - it has nothing to do with telling an original story, just checking off boxes of scenes and lines that they can mimic from the original.  Also, like a lot of others like this the only "original" thing is doing a slight role reversal for some of the characters.   

I will admit to having an unhealthy love for the original Karate Kid, but I found this to be Karate Kid 3 or Next Karate Kid level bad.  

2 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

Only 20mins left in Cobra Kai, and it didn't get better.  Just about everything I hate about the wave of sequels/remakes - it has nothing to do with telling an original story, just checking off boxes of scenes and lines that they can mimic from the original.  Also, like a lot of others like this the only "original" thing is doing a slight role reversal for some of the characters.   

I will admit to having an unhealthy love for the original Karate Kid, but I found this to be Karate Kid 3 or Next Karate Kid level bad.  

<Giant fart sound> cobra kai was the most fun I had watching a show last year. 

1 hour ago, JB Breakfast Club said:

<Giant fart sound> cobra kai was the most fun I had watching a show last year. 

I've gotten through 4 hours or so of this, but for me it's more on the lines of having fun with it because it's so bad and cheesy.  I say it's KK3 level bad, but I have watched that movie multiple times.  

Edited by KarmaPolice
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bosoxs45 said:

Is trailer park boys worth watching

I am not a fan, but some people love it

Pine Gap. Watched the first episode and it was ok, just didn't grab me yet. Like the Aussie intelligence girl and Charles Manson, but nobody else is sticking out.

2 hours ago, bosoxs45 said:

Is trailer park boys worth watching

I liked it.  It's more "smirky" funny than belly-laugh funny, although Bubbles (and especially Conkey) bring some good laughs.

Time to drink some swish!