What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread) (12 Viewers)

It was a mini series that predated the wire. Not required previewing, but same story ideas focused on the junkies, iirc. I thought it was fantastic.
I think there are still a couple of their products that dont show up for HBO now.  I was surprised that the Ali G show wasnt available, and dont remember seeing The Corner available to watch either.  

Started The Order yesterday. This any good or is it 16 year old popcorn type stuff?
didn't love it, didn't hate it.  It's largely 16 year old popcorn type.  If you liked the Divergent movies you will probably enjoy the order enough.  Better than Twilight, but in a similar fashion. 

I finished it last night, fell asleep for part of the episode and didn't feel the need to rewind.   Won't spoil it, but it's obvious at the end they're planning for a second season.  

Not finding much else on the other two that is sticking, so in advance of GOT coming out, I fired up an HBO Now subscription and put a few shows in the queue.  Finally started watching The Wire last night.  

What was the name of the more movie-centered streaming service? Filmstruck?  Is that firing back up soon?  (I guess I could use the search function and not be a lazy ###).  
Don't bother with The Wire, I tried watching it solely because of the praise from this forum but it was average at best.

Does the Marvel series "Luke Cage" get any better after the 1st episode? I thought S1 of DD was "meh" and JJ was only marginally better (mostly the writing but I've found that a little Kristyn Ritter goes a long way..). Colton isn't much of an actor with Cage but it's crazy how awful the writing is in the hands of superior actors like Mahershala Ali and Alfre Woodard. 
If DD was only meh for you, then you may not be a fan...DD was the best Marvel series...Jessica Jones S1 is also great

Luke Cage was very good for the first half of S1...

i really liked JJ S2, but not everybody agrees

Iron fist 🤜 was the weakest entry

I wonder why he didn’t like it
I didn’t love it either, but I at least stuck it out and watched the whole thing. I’d give it a 7 out of 10. Liked some of the story lines more than others and thought some seasons dragged. We’re all different. 

By comparison, I thought Breaking Bad was phenomenal. And when so many people said The Wire was as good or better, maybe my expectations were too high.

I also never got into The Sopranos and couldn’t even make it through the first season. Not everyone likes the same shows even if they are highly rated. 

Liked The Dirt, too. Not really breaking any new ground in that it's what you'd expect a bio on Motley Crue to be - sex, drugs, and rock-'n'-roll with lots of nekkid chicks. It's a fun wild ride. They did a really good job of matching the look of Crue back in the 80s - the photos/old video at the end credits are fun to watch

The scenes with Vince Neill towards the end hit me pretty hard - had no idea he went through that.

I will watch The Dirt soon, but I want to make a plug that the book is one of the best rock bio books. 
The movie is true to the book but as to be expected the book is better. That said, I enjoyed the #### out of watching it last night 

The movie is true to the book but as to be expected the book is better. That said, I enjoyed the #### out of watching it last night 
 Or ally I think the voiceovers are weak and cheap but for some reason it worked in this movie.  I still think it should have been like an 8 hour miniseries.  Thee was just too much to try and cram into a standard movie time.  

Is Fringe worth tackling?

First two episodes are pretty solid.
This might be off Netflix by now, but I'd recommend.

Warning: There is a LOT of wasted potential this series didn't explore. (There's a lot of ".....but wait, hang on a second...." in this)

I'd rate it above Continuum and below Travellers
The characters were always interesting though.  I really cared about each of them throughout the series.

OA season 2 today.  I wonder if they'll explain everything? 
Thanks for this, btw.

We turned one in last night, and even though I still don't like the lead actress and some of the writing was weak, we looked up after getting part way through the third episode and realized it was way later than normal for us after a lot more tv than normal. In other words- we were hooked.

Felt a little similar to High Castle conceptually this time, but moving along better. And less jazz hands.

I didn’t love it either, but I at least stuck it out and watched the whole thing. I’d give it a 7 out of 10. Liked some of the story lines more than others and thought some seasons dragged. We’re all different. 

By comparison, I thought Breaking Bad was phenomenal. And when so many people said The Wire was as good or better, maybe my expectations were too high.

I also never got into The Sopranos and couldn’t even make it through the first season. Not everyone likes the same shows even if they are highly rated. 
I appreciate some of these shows more than I enjoy them. Like, I recognize how well done a lot of Breaking Bad is, but if I’m honest with myself I’d rather watch something that takes itself a little less seriously. 

Last edited by a moderator:
You decide what I watch next

OA season 1

Ms maisel season 1

The last 5 episodes of travellers

The rest (I think I'm 4 episodes in) of sex education

Thanks for this, btw.

We turned one in last night, and even though I still don't like the lead actress and some of the writing was weak, we looked up after getting part way through the third episode and realized it was way later than normal for us after a lot more tv than normal. In other words- we were hooked.

Felt a little similar to High Castle conceptually this time, but moving along better. And less jazz hands.
This got strange very quickly. Not sure if it's good strange, or octopus strange. But we'll keep pushing through.

Just finished Dirt, loved it 

huge fan back in the day.   Hell, played shout at the devil at a CCD pizza party when I was a kid 

pretty sure the nuns didn’t know what hit them 

I didn't realize Brit Marling was in OA.  :wub: .   Bumping that to the top of the queue. 
I think she created and cowrote it as well.

Tbh, not a fan of her acting here- feels notibly exaggerated and foced. and the writing is all over the place- too much forced Deus ex machina manipulation in very bizarre and out of the blue ways. But I'm still watching.

She also makes me think of this.

El Floppo said:

Tbh, not a fan of her acting here- feels notibly exaggerated and foced. and the writing is all over the place- too much forced Deus ex machina manipulation in very bizarre and out of the blue ways. But I'm still watching.

I find her attractive, but mainly I have liked a bit of what she has chosen to make in the past.   Not perfect movies, but found Another Earth, Sound of My Voice, and I Orgins to be interesting original movies in the sea of superheroes and sequels at the start of the decade.  I dont remember seeing her name on anything since 2014 or so when I Origins came out, so I was excited when I saw her name attached to this.  

El Floppo said:

This show is great though frustratingly opaque. It’s the kind of show I wouldn’t fault someone for hating. But  I’m only 1 episode Into the second season but am already hooked.  Again. Nothing else like it on tv.

#jazzhands. 

This show is great though frustratingly opaque. It’s the kind of show I wouldn’t fault someone for hating. But  I’m only 1 episode Into the second season but am already hooked.  Again. Nothing else like it on tv.

#jazzhands. 
octopushands

its completely goofy. But yeas, still compelling enough to keep going 

I completed the 1st season of OA. I enjoyed it well enough.

I will watch the 2nd, eventually - but I have a few other things on my list before it.

Its not really the kind of show I need to see, but it fills in great when I don't have anything else on my list.

Finished S2 of "Brockmire" and it was still pretty good. Not great like S1 but still entertaining. 

Started S4 of "Catastrophe" and it's still mostly fun. Not the same series it was back in beginning but it's still good too. It's a such a frantic paced bit of comedy that you realize how much is actually told.

Started S4 of "Catastrophe" and it's still mostly fun. Not the same series it was back in beginning but it's still good too. It's a such a frantic paced bit of comedy that you realize how much is actually told.
wrapped it up last night (easy to do with a 6 parter, 30min/ep). felt like it lost a little traction in the writing- but still some good stuff from the cast. 

wrapped it up last night (easy to do with a 6 parter, 30min/ep). felt like it lost a little traction in the writing- but still some good stuff from the cast. 
one thing i would say about the show is that despite a pretty timeworn premise - ups and downs of harried married couple - it does have a distinct voice. it's really sure of what it wants to say and what it thinks is funny. not many 30 min sitcoms can do this.

one thing i would say about the show is that despite a pretty timeworn premise - ups and downs of harried married couple - it does have a distinct voice. it's really sure of what it wants to say and what it thinks is funny. not many 30 min sitcoms can do this.
spot on. and the stars really make it happen- both are fantastic here.

El Floppo said:
spot on. and the stars really make it happen- both are fantastic here.
Finished this off last night with the wife. It wasn't the strongest season overall but a warm farewell episode from them. It's a funny series for sure. I'll be curious to see what the leads wind up doing after this.

Finished up The OA S2. If nothing else it is very entertaining. Definitely a different vibe than S1, which seemed a little more spiritual. S2 seems more sci-fi / fantasy. We enjoyed both, but it's definitely an acquired taste and I could see how some folks wouldn't like it. Handsy Octopus may have to be the name of one of my fantasy teams next year.

Users who are viewing this thread