Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
KCC

Netflix "Watch Instantly" gems: FBGs recommended

Recommended Posts

On 3/21/2019 at 4:04 PM, Statorama said:
On 4/11/2013 at 11:36 AM, Daywalker said:

Is Fringe worth tackling?

First two episodes are pretty solid.

This might be off Netflix by now, but I'd recommend.

Warning: There is a LOT of wasted potential this series didn't explore. (There's a lot of ".....but wait, hang on a second...." in this)

I'd rate it above Continuum and below Travellers

The characters were always interesting though.  I really cared about each of them throughout the series.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/22/2019 at 9:31 AM, Nick Vermeil said:

OA season 2 today.  I wonder if they'll explain everything? 

Thanks for this, btw.

We turned one in last night, and even though I still don't like the lead actress and some of the writing was weak, we looked up after getting part way through the third episode and realized it was way later than normal for us after a lot more tv than normal. In other words- we were hooked.

Felt a little similar to High Castle conceptually this time, but moving along better. And less jazz hands.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought the second season of Mrs. Maisel was just as good as the first.

 

Really good show.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Anarchy99 said:

I didn’t love it either, but I at least stuck it out and watched the whole thing. I’d give it a 7 out of 10. Liked some of the story lines more than others and thought some seasons dragged. We’re all different. 

By comparison, I thought Breaking Bad was phenomenal. And when so many people said The Wire was as good or better, maybe my expectations were too high.

I also never got into The Sopranos and couldn’t even make it through the first season. Not everyone likes the same shows even if they are highly rated. 

I appreciate some of these shows more than I enjoy them. Like, I recognize how well done a lot of Breaking Bad is, but if I’m honest with myself I’d rather watch something that takes itself a little less seriously. 

Edited by thecatch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You decide what I watch next

OA season 1

Ms maisel season 1

The last 5 episodes of travellers

The rest (I think I'm 4 episodes in) of sex education

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, -OZ- said:

You decide what I watch next

The last 5 episodes of travellers

My choice.  I thought it wrapped up well.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, El Floppo said:

Thanks for this, btw.

We turned one in last night, and even though I still don't like the lead actress and some of the writing was weak, we looked up after getting part way through the third episode and realized it was way later than normal for us after a lot more tv than normal. In other words- we were hooked.

Felt a little similar to High Castle conceptually this time, but moving along better. And less jazz hands.

This got strange very quickly. Not sure if it's good strange, or octopus strange. But we'll keep pushing through.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just finished Dirt, loved it 

 

huge fan back in the day.   Hell, played shout at the devil at a CCD pizza party when I was a kid 

 

pretty sure the nuns didn’t know what hit them 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Wrigley said:

Just finished Dirt, loved it 

 

huge fan back in the day.   Hell, played shout at the devil at a CCD pizza party when I was a kid 

 

pretty sure the nuns didn’t know what hit them 

I am now sad that we can’t be friends any more

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Radical Larry said:

I am now sad that we can’t be friends any more

Didn’t realize you were a nun 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, KarmaPolice said:

I didn't realize Brit Marling was in OA.  :wub:.   Bumping that to the top of the queue. 

I think she created and cowrote it as well.

Tbh, not a fan of her acting here- feels notibly exaggerated and foced. and the writing is all over the place- too much forced Deus ex machina manipulation in very bizarre and out of the blue ways. But I'm still watching.

She also makes me think of this.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, El Floppo said:

I think she created and cowrote it as well.

Tbh, not a fan of her acting here- feels notibly exaggerated and foced. and the writing is all over the place- too much forced Deus ex machina manipulation in very bizarre and out of the blue ways. But I'm still watching.

She also makes me think of this.

I find her attractive, but mainly I have liked a bit of what she has chosen to make in the past.   Not perfect movies, but found Another Earth, Sound of My Voice, and I Orgins to be interesting original movies in the sea of superheroes and sequels at the start of the decade.  I dont remember seeing her name on anything since 2014 or so when I Origins came out, so I was excited when I saw her name attached to this.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/23/2019 at 8:53 AM, pantherclub said:

The Dirt

 

5 stars

 

They could have made that a 10 part series on Netflix

Endorsed.  Quite frankly, my expectations were fairly low heading into it.  But very enjoyable with the added bonus of Ramsay Bolton as Mick Mars thrown in.

Edited by TheDirtyWord
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, El Floppo said:

I think she created and cowrote it as well.

Tbh, not a fan of her acting here- feels notibly exaggerated and foced. and the writing is all over the place- too much forced Deus ex machina manipulation in very bizarre and out of the blue ways. But I'm still watching.

She also makes me think of this.

This show is great though frustratingly opaque. It’s the kind of show I wouldn’t fault someone for hating. But  I’m only 1 episode Into the second season but am already hooked.  Again. Nothing else like it on tv.

 

#jazzhands. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Nick Vermeil said:

This show is great though frustratingly opaque. It’s the kind of show I wouldn’t fault someone for hating. But  I’m only 1 episode Into the second season but am already hooked.  Again. Nothing else like it on tv.

 

#jazzhands. 

octopushands

its completely goofy. But yeas, still compelling enough to keep going 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I completed the 1st season of OA. I enjoyed it well enough.

I will watch the 2nd, eventually - but I have a few other things on my list before it.

Its not really the kind of show I need to see, but it fills in great when I don't have anything else on my list.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finished S2 of "Brockmire" and it was still pretty good. Not great like S1 but still entertaining. 

Started S4 of "Catastrophe" and it's still mostly fun. Not the same series it was back in beginning but it's still good too. It's a such a frantic paced bit of comedy that you realize how much is actually told.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, saintfool said:

Started S4 of "Catastrophe" and it's still mostly fun. Not the same series it was back in beginning but it's still good too. It's a such a frantic paced bit of comedy that you realize how much is actually told.

wrapped it up last night (easy to do with a 6 parter, 30min/ep). felt like it lost a little traction in the writing- but still some good stuff from the cast. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

wrapped it up last night (easy to do with a 6 parter, 30min/ep). felt like it lost a little traction in the writing- but still some good stuff from the cast. 

one thing i would say about the show is that despite a pretty timeworn premise - ups and downs of harried married couple - it does have a distinct voice. it's really sure of what it wants to say and what it thinks is funny. not many 30 min sitcoms can do this.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, saintfool said:

one thing i would say about the show is that despite a pretty timeworn premise - ups and downs of harried married couple - it does have a distinct voice. it's really sure of what it wants to say and what it thinks is funny. not many 30 min sitcoms can do this.

spot on. and the stars really make it happen- both are fantastic here.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watched the first 2 episodes of Ricky Gervais' After Life. Very good so far. Dark and depressing at times but funny and poignant as well.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, El Floppo said:

spot on. and the stars really make it happen- both are fantastic here.

Finished this off last night with the wife. It wasn't the strongest season overall but a warm farewell episode from them. It's a funny series for sure. I'll be curious to see what the leads wind up doing after this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finished up The OA S2. If nothing else it is very entertaining. Definitely a different vibe than S1, which seemed a little more spiritual. S2 seems more sci-fi / fantasy. We enjoyed both, but it's definitely an acquired taste and I could see how some folks wouldn't like it. Handsy Octopus may have to be the name of one of my fantasy teams next year.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/24/2019 at 10:32 PM, Nick Vermeil said:

This show is great though frustratingly opaque. It’s the kind of show I wouldn’t fault someone for hating. But  I’m only 1 episode Into the second season but am already hooked.  Again. Nothing else like it on tv.

 

#jazzhands. 

The title of this review completely summed up my feelings about season 1 of The OA back when I binge-watched it in the span of a single evening.  I just finished season 2 and still feel the same.  I completely understand why anyone wouldn't like it - I feel like I shouldn't like it, but I love it.  Already can't wait for season 3. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, saintfool said:

Finished this off last night with the wife. It wasn't the strongest season overall but a warm farewell episode from them. It's a funny series for sure. I'll be curious to see what the leads wind up doing after this.

That was the series finale?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

That was the series finale?

Yup. They decided it was a good time to stop. He lost his 2 yo son last year and with Carrie Fisher passing, it felt like the show was difficult. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/24/2019 at 10:49 PM, El Floppo said:

octopushands

its completely goofy. But yeas, still compelling enough to keep going 

 

7 hours ago, Ignoratio Elenchi said:

The title of this review completely summed up my feelings about season 1 of The OA back when I binge-watched it in the span of a single evening.  I just finished season 2 and still feel the same.  I completely understand why anyone wouldn't like it - I feel like I shouldn't like it, but I love it.  Already can't wait for season 3. 

totally agree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Triple Frontier - Loved it although the plot was nothing special.  Didn't realize Affleck was doing Netflix originals, but he was well casted.  Just a great action, caper flick.  4.5/5 

The Dirt - Also loved this, even though the acting and dialogue was pretty bad...I was a pre-teen/teenager during the 80s metal era so this sort of content is my jam.  4/5

 

Keep em coming Netflix!!

Edited by TripItUp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watched the first 2 episodes of Death Love & Robots, great stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/24/2019 at 8:57 AM, avoiding injuries said:

The Dirt was really good. Strongly recommend. 

Second this and was not a fan of Motley Crue at all growing up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, saintfool said:

Yup. They decided it was a good time to stop. He lost his 2 yo son last year and with Carrie Fisher passing, it felt like the show was difficult. 

they definitely wrapped it up nicely.

given the finale, I now love how the final scene works- swimming out in a "danger: riptide" and seemingly getting further from shore, while the kids are asleep in the car. all after a lovely make-up session confirming their love and ongoing hate. the way they so meanly eviscerate each other and then find their way back is what makes the show so distinct (I think of the wife of the bald guy in Californication in that regard- but not the couple).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shadow...takes place in South Africa where an ex-cop delivers his own brand of justice.   If you suspend disbelief, its a fine action series with a few sub plots thrown in and the girlfriend is crazy hot to boot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, TripItUp said:

Triple Frontier - Loved it although the plot was nothing special.  Didn't realize Affleck was doing Netflix originals, but he was well casted.  Just a great action, caper flick.  4.5/5

🤤

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/26/2019 at 9:47 AM, Anarchy99 said:

Finished up The OA S2. If nothing else it is very entertaining. Definitely a different vibe than S1, which seemed a little more spiritual. S2 seems more sci-fi / fantasy. We enjoyed both, but it's definitely an acquired taste and I could see how some folks wouldn't like it. Handsy Octopus may have to be the name of one of my fantasy teams next year.

 

On 3/26/2019 at 9:48 AM, Ignoratio Elenchi said:

The title of this review completely summed up my feelings about season 1 of The OA back when I binge-watched it in the span of a single evening.  I just finished season 2 and still feel the same.  I completely understand why anyone wouldn't like it - I feel like I shouldn't like it, but I love it.  Already can't wait for season 3. 

finished it last night.

this ####### show.

  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, El Floppo said:

they definitely wrapped it up nicely.

  Reveal hidden contents

given the finale, I now love how the final scene works- swimming out in a "danger: riptide" and seemingly getting further from shore, while the kids are asleep in the car. all after a lovely make-up session confirming their love and ongoing hate. the way they so meanly eviscerate each other and then find their way back is what makes the show so distinct (I think of the wife of the bald guy in Californication in that regard- but not the couple).

agreed. it's a nice metaphor or allegory for their particular situation. related note, while the show is funny, i always felt like they left jokes and plots on the table. there was always a B plot to any episode - usually giving a sense of the world they live in - but often only made a half-hearted attempt at doing anything with it. the show was about their relationship but their working lives felt like a comedic tease often enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, TripItUp said:

Triple Frontier - Loved it although the plot was nothing special.  Didn't realize Affleck was doing Netflix originals, but he was well casted.  Just a great action, caper flick.  4.5/5 

Keep em coming Netflix!!

Really?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Nick Vermeil said:

WTMF?

You reacting to me or the show?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/26/2019 at 11:26 PM, TripItUp said:

Triple Frontier - Loved it although the plot was nothing special.  Didn't realize Affleck was doing Netflix originals, but he was well casted.  Just a great action, caper flick.  

Really enjoyed this overall

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't interpret the review for OA in here.  Are you guys recommending it or not?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, shuke said:

I can't interpret the review for OA in here.  Are you guys recommending it or not?

the first season had potential then it went completely and totally off the rails at the end.  Worst ending in the history of shows.  The writers just didnt know how to close things up.  The dance at the end was the most cringe worthy thing I think I ever witnessed on a television set

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, shuke said:

I can't interpret the review for OA in here.  Are you guys recommending it or not?

That would be a yes to both parts 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.