What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread) (17 Viewers)

There is just no accounting for taste.  Or actually reading a thread.
To be fair, Sandler has done several movies I liked (Blended, Wedding Singer, 50 First Dates, Grownups, etc). I just think the jokes weren't there in this one. Maybe he tried being a little too "PG" for this movie.

There is just no accounting for taste.  Or actually reading a thread.
Yes or reading my post where I say IF YOU LIKE SANDLER MOVIES then you might want to watch this. If you hate Sandler, then ignore it and be happy in your life.

However since people in general seem to like his movies, I thought that I would give my take on it. Thank you for your well researched counterpoint that proves nothing.

I don't agree, but Jon Bernthal is always a pleasure to watch. 
He had an interesting life story getting to where he is. He had a great interview with Howard Stern a few years ago. Troublemaker in school, almost went to prison for murder, moved to Russia to learn acting. Interesting stuff.

He had an interesting life story getting to where he is. He had a great interview with Howard Stern a few years ago. Troublemaker in school, almost went to prison for murder, moved to Russia to learn acting. Interesting stuff.
Cool. I was wondering about his early life, as he does carry some rage in his acting. 

Yes or reading my post where I say IF YOU LIKE SANDLER MOVIES then you might want to watch this. If you hate Sandler, then ignore it and be happy in your life.

However since people in general seem to like his movies, I thought that I would give my take on it. Thank you for your well researched counterpoint that proves nothing.
Like grandpa used to say "if everybody liked the same thing we'd all be trying to #### your grandma".

"Murder Mystery" - Adam Sandler, Jennifer Anniston

meh - it wasn't completely terrible, but it could have been much better.  Essentially a money grab for Sandler and Anniston.
Considering the mediocrity of Sandler and Aniston, I was not expecting Casablanca. My most ringing endorsement is, not absolutely horrible.

Finished S1 and S2 of "Halt & Catch Fire". It took me forever for get through S1 but was able to binge S2 pretty easily. Not a perfect show but it mostly succeeds at the storytelling thusfar. It's good nostalgia for me, too, because I was a teen in the 80's and this feels like it was in the cultural periphery. I have no great affection for "Stranger Things" kind of 80's nostalgia. 

Finished S1 and S2 of "Halt & Catch Fire". It took me forever for get through S1 but was able to binge S2 pretty easily. Not a perfect show but it mostly succeeds at the storytelling thusfar. It's good nostalgia for me, too, because I was a teen in the 80's and this feels like it was in the cultural periphery. I have no great affection for "Stranger Things" kind of 80's nostalgia. 
For some reason and surprising to me, I was into this show. Maybe because of the era? I was never into computers, so most of that talk was beyond me. I probably wouldn’t go through it a second time, but still a cool show.

just saw the nice lead actor in something else and was reminded of the show. genuinely enjoyed it- rides the line between telling an interesting, I guess historical story, and fleshing out characters and their relationships. some great acting (and music) too. it's definitely immersed in nostalgia for me- but as opposed to stranger things, this is historical nostalgia rather than nostalgia for the tv and film styles of the era. 

I’ve come close to watching this one several times.  something else always jumps in front.

Finished season 1 of Outlander. Can't say enough good things about it.  One of my favorite series so far.  I've read many good things about season 2 so don't expect any drop off.  Great chemistry between the leads and I :wub: Balfe.

That said, decided to take a break and see what S3 of Jessica Jones was going to be like.  First episode was good, not great, and had a bit more humour than what I recall from Season 2.  Certainly worth watching more. Trish is still annoying, however.

Finished season 1 of Outlander. Can't say enough good things about it.  One of my favorite series so far.  I've read many good things about season 2 so don't expect any drop off.  Great chemistry between the leads and I :wub: Balfe.

That said, decided to take a break and see what S3 of Jessica Jones was going to be like.  First episode was good, not great, and had a bit more humour than what I recall from Season 2.  Certainly worth watching more. Trish is still annoying, however.
I hesitated to recommend too strongly because it's kind of soap opery.  But it's really good.

That said, I'm not enjoying season 2 as much as season 1 so far.  About 6 episodes into S2. 

We just finished up "Dead to Me" .. What a weird/different show..

Still not sure exactly what it was we watched.....  yet I think I enjoyed it :oldunsure:   

I hesitated to recommend too strongly because it's kind of soap opery.  But it's really good.

That said, I'm not enjoying season 2 as much as season 1 so far.  About 6 episodes into S2. 
That's unfortunate. Almost every ranking i saw had s2 at the top.  Maybe the soap opera has warn itself out. I still think my 😍 for Claire will keep my interest. 

For some reason and surprising to me, I was into this show. Maybe because of the era? I was never into computers, so most of that talk was beyond me. I probably wouldn’t go through it a second time, but still a cool show.
I think it's pretty clear: Halt and Catch Fire is well-acted, the writing is great, and it's unlike any series I've ever seen. 

I Think You Should Leave on netflix streaming is some of the best sketch comedy I've seen since The Whitest Kids You Know.  Hilarious.

Anyone watch The Last Kingdom? Highly recommend it. About a Saxon that is adopted by Viking Danes in England after they raid his families land. Him and another prisoner become friends and he then becomes part of the property of one of the main Viking Tribe leaders because the kid's uncle wants to kill him to be rightful king of his own land.  Season 3 just came out meant to watch this awhile go but I binged watched this from Sunday. Pulled an all nighter from yesterday till today slept for 3 hrs or so. Such a great show. 

Anyone watch The Last Kingdom? Highly recommend it. About a Saxon that is adopted by Viking Danes in England after they raid his families land. Him and another prisoner become friends and he then becomes part of the property of one of the main Viking Tribe leaders because the kid's uncle wants to kill him to be rightful king of his own land.  Season 3 just came out meant to watch this awhile go but I binged watched this from Sunday. Pulled an all nighter from yesterday till today slept for 3 hrs or so. Such a great show. 
Big fan of the show also, season 3 has been out for a while, you got my hopes up, I thought it was season 4.  I looked and season 4 had began filming around April, supposed to have 10 episodes.  I’m guessing Netflix might make it available around October for us.

started "Informer" over on Prime last night. BBC produced show, i think, and it's good so far. episode in and it gives a good sense of time/place in London.

we wrapped up The Informer last night. definitely recommend, but with some caveats.

it hits some big bumps along the way with some goofy motives/writing (for the motives/actions), and I found the who-dunnit reveal to be cringe/groan-worthy.

that said- the rest is pretty excellent and still justifies watching this, IMO. great casting and acting- especially raza (eta: Nabhaan Rizwan... google says it's his tv debut), who gives a star-making performance. paddy considine is fantastic, as is most everybody else. I think the expression is "mise en scene"- the show nails it (at least to an outsider)... putting me into the sounds, looks and feel of a london I'd never get to know (immigrants, council-housing, kebab-shops, art-school, etc) that even if fake, never felt it. well filmed, well acted, well written (in terms of dialogue)... just has some moments that make you question what's going on (unfortunately) and an truly unfortunate reveal. 

started "Informer" over on Prime last night. BBC produced show, i think, and it's good so far. episode in and it gives a good sense of time/place in London.
It'll be worth your time... Good, to great stuff within.

Eta... I found the first episode one the better pilots I can remember.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Bob Dylan Rolling Thunder Revue documentary is excellent.  Scorsese had access to incredible footage, both of the Revue's performances and backstage scenes.  One of the cardinal rules of film making is to show rather than tell.   This generally works but I think it helps to know some back story about Dylan in 1976 because there's no omniscient narrator to provide it.  

Dylan is at the center of the movie, mostly in archival footage but occasionally in recent talking head interviews.  Scorsese captures the spirit of Rolling Thunder by shifting focus to other characters who took part in the tour.  Some are obvious like Baez and Ginsberg but a guy like Martin von Haselberg, who shot a lot of the original footage (and later married Bette Midler) is almost as interesting as Dylan.  Or at least he thinks he is.

The film suffers a bit from the lack of a dramatic arc. The tour begins, the tour ends.  Characters enter, have their scene and are hardly heard from again.  Maybe this is the point, it's a continuation of the statement Scorsese made in The Last Waltz about rock 'n roll and the never ending road.  To put a period on it, right before the credits roll, Dylan and Joan Baez are heard singing "The Water Is Wide" while every Dylan tour date from 1975 to 2018 is listed on screen.
As a longtime Dylan fan, I enjoyed the Doc, but unlike some music Docs where I have been able to be amused at the subject matter even if I wasn't necessarily a big fan of the band covered, I think this one (much like other Dylan Docs) caters toward fans.  Maybe further cementing my opinion on this is that I believe the most enjoyable part of this is the music itself, because I don't tend to come across casual Dylan fans very often.  It's usually someone whom either vehemently loves and appreciates his genius like myself, or it's someone who says they don't enjoy listening to him and can't get past his vocal/singing style.          Also, there are a few intentional weird things sprinkled into this.   two examples that come to mind are the odd  director by the last name of Van Dorp (I forget the first name at the moment) whom turns out to be a made up person.    There is another interview with Sharon Stone recollecting fandom where afterwards it shows an old picture of her wearing a Kiss T-shirt that was photoshopped (the t-shirt).     I'm sure there are probably many others.       Much of the footage shown in this is actually  from an old Dylan film (I'm not sure if it were ever actually released, and if so very limited) named Renaldo And Clara.   

*I typed this out in a hurry, so pardon any type o's or things I might have otherwise taken more careful approach towards, even in terms of closer fact-checking)

I Am Mother - really enjoyed it.  I love movies like this, and it was well done.
I liked it too. It looked great and the acting was above par.

A couple minor quibbles...

1. They gave the game away early that daughter three wasn't the first. It showed a graphic that it was 13,800-ish days after extinction event. Simple math says that's 37 years. And daughter three is only about 18.

2. Mother took a big risk that daughter one wouldn't be killed before showing up to tempt daughter three. I wonder if there was a backup plan.

3. I think it would have been more impactful if there'd have been more failures.

Andy Dufresne said:
I liked it too. It looked great and the acting was above par.

A couple minor quibbles...

1. They gave the game away early that daughter three wasn't the first. It showed a graphic that it was 13,800-ish days after extinction event. Simple math says that's 37 years. And daughter three is only about 18.

2. Mother took a big risk that daughter one wouldn't be killed before showing up to tempt daughter three. I wonder if there was a backup plan.

3. I think it would have been more impactful if there'd have been more failures.
1. We caught that too

Started Too Old to Die Young on Amazon. I watched an episode and a half. I am not familiar with Nicolas Winding Refn, but apparently he makes a lot of shows/movies like this. Its fairly odd but more than anything, its really, really, really slow. He makes these long, long scenery scans that are ... too long. And the music stinks. 

Maybe I'm just not cool enough. I'll probably try to pick it up again later. See if I can make it.

Started Too Old to Die Young on Amazon. I watched an episode and a half. I am not familiar with Nicolas Winding Refn, but apparently he makes a lot of shows/movies like this. Its fairly odd but more than anything, its really, really, really slow. He makes these long, long scenery scans that are ... too long. And the music stinks. 

Maybe I'm just not cool enough. I'll probably try to pick it up again later. See if I can make it.
Hadn't heard of this on Prime, but the bolded got me excited.  

Family movie night and we took in "Spider-Man: Homecoming". One of the better Marvel products, imo, even if the new and improved Spidey is far removed from the comic book hero of my youth. Michael Keaton was fantastic as the Vulture. I haven't bothered with any of the Avengers movies to this point or sequels for Iron Man or Captain America. I think the only other Marvel flick in recent years I have bothered with and its sequel is "Ant-Man". This felt playful even if it isn't especially novel in its take on the hero.

As good as "Homecoming" is, though, it's a step below "Spider-man: Into the Spiderverse" from last year (which is coming to Netflix next week). 

That's unfortunate. Almost every ranking i saw had s2 at the top.  Maybe the soap opera has warn itself out. I still think my 😍 for Claire will keep my interest. 
Season 2 of Outlander improved dramatically for me and was fantastic.

Can't recommend this show enough at this point. So, so good.

Season 3 of Handmaids tale has been great so far.  The mix is right.  Not just wall to wall sadism.
The bolded is a bit of hyperbole.  Is it any more violent than a show like GOT? 

I am liking the season do far, but IMO there almost seems to be an overcorrection the other way.  I have 0 clue how some characters have gotten away with stuff without repercussions.  Probably need to be more specific in the show thread. 

"The Villainess" available on Hulu - Young girl grows up being trained to be an assassin, bad crap happens to her, and she seeks revenge. We have seen this story a hundred times so if you are tired of it, move on. If you aren't its worth the almost two hours of run time. Acting was decent, very violent, bloody and a substantial amount of gore for an "action" flick. It is a South Korean movie so subtitles are required.  - 7/10 

I'm not sure I really like or really hate the game show Awake.

I really like the premise but the show execution/delivery lacks something

I liked season 1 but found that 99% of the problems the characters come across is created by the stupid sales guy. If he wasn't a toxic moron and didn't inflict so much damage to people around him, life would be so much better for everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread