What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread) (3 Viewers)

Trying to finished Umbrella Academy. Started this a couple of months ago and stalled at episode 2. Restarted with epi 3 last night and trying to think of why I should keep going. Any thoughts?

Meant now debating.  I found the first 3 books on sale, and they will be arriving tomorrow.  
The first season and a bit into the second is very, very close to the first book. The story in the second and third book gets stepped on a bit in S2 and S3 but it's still pretty faithful, except 

GD Bobbie Draper is completely miscast and keeps getting a bigger and bigger role in the series despite not being in the third book at all

:rant: 

Watching Trollhunters. Created by Guillermo del Toro and Anton Yelchin's last role. 

not bad so far
Trollhunters. For kids but worth watching. The final episode is amazing.

just started 3Below the second part of the Tales of Arcadia trilogy. Lots of characters from Trollhunter, but worth it for Nick Offerman.  :lmao: :lmao:

Trollhunters. For kids but worth watching. The final episode is amazing.

just started 3Below the second part of the Tales of Arcadia trilogy. Lots of characters from Trollhunter, but worth it for Nick Offerman.  :lmao: :lmao:
my boy watches these. I think we skipped from Part 1 of Trollhunters to 3 Below and missed some of Trollhunters season 2 or whatever. Offerman is clearly having a blast doing this voiceover work.

Decided to give "Always Be My Maybe" a go the other night. As rom-coms go, it's a solid C. Ali Wong and Randall Park are just okay without much in the way of real romantic chemistry. They seem more like really good friends than a romantic couple. I'm not sure if it's a product of the limitations of the script or the actors.

Finishing S1 of "Peaky Blinders" and it's fun.

Decided to give "Always Be My Maybe" a go the other night. As rom-coms go, it's a solid C. Ali Wong and Randall Park are just okay without much in the way of real romantic chemistry. They seem more like really good friends than a romantic couple. I'm not sure if it's a product of the limitations of the script or the actors.

Finishing S1 of "Peaky Blinders" and it's fun.
peaky blinders is definitely fun. great cast, great immersion into the period on all fronts, especially art direction... and wait until you get tom hardy chewing up the scenery

is anybody watching HBO's years and years?

sci-fi political satire kinda sorta. a bit of black mirror with a bit of family drama ala this is us with lots of just a touch in the future taking current global socio-politics to extremes. 

it's interesting, depressing, worthwhile, frustrating all at the same time. 

is anybody watching HBO's years and years?

sci-fi political satire kinda sorta. a bit of black mirror with a bit of family drama ala this is us with lots of just a touch in the future taking current global socio-politics to extremes. 

it's interesting, depressing, worthwhile, frustrating all at the same time. 
Is it good?

Is it good?
I've been watching that and Handmaid's Tale the last few weeks. It's a bit too much dystopia together for me tbh.

But I'd recommend giving it two episodes- it's worthwhile, imo and you'll know after those two if you want to keep going. 

Finished the first season of Dead To Me.  Both actresses (Applegate & Cardellini) are very good and the show really rests on their chemistry.  Looking forward to Season 2 as where they finished left for some interesting dynamics moving forward.

Does anyone watch "Big Little Lies" on HBO? I think it's season 2 now.
We watched season 1, will probably catch up on 2 soon. 

I will say that I gained a tremendous respect for Nicole Kidman's acting. I somehow have never really seen her in anything but she is extremely good in the role they cast her in. I had always thought of her as more of a celebrity than a great actress--kinda like Angelina Jolie I guess where there isn't really a signature role. Probably unfair of me. 

We watched season 1, will probably catch up on 2 soon. 

I will say that I gained a tremendous respect for Nicole Kidman's acting. I somehow have never really seen her in anything but she is extremely good in the role they cast her in. I had always thought of her as more of a celebrity than a great actress--kinda like Angelina Jolie I guess where there isn't really a signature role. Probably unfair of me. 
Kidman's a very good actress, going back to that stuck on a boat movie. I do find her botox work insanely distracting as she ages (not gracefully, for me)- physicially limiting the range of expression she's capable of... but her acting is always good. plus she seems to not get hung up on only taking tom cruise style big roles/movies... done a lot of work, including indies. IIRC she was in a gus van sandt movie and was fantastic. or my brain is playing tricks on me. definitely in that lars von trier thing that happened after lars had jumped the shark (for me).

Was hoping for a Russian version of The Crown.  So far have been disappointed, but it has been educational - I'll give it that.
You hit the nail on the head. I was hoping for the same thing but since I know nothing about the Czars I think i learned a lot. I haven't finished the series though and kind of enjoy the expert narration.

Kidman's a very good actress, going back to that stuck on a boat movie. I do find her botox work insanely distracting as she ages (not gracefully, for me)- physicially limiting the range of expression she's capable of... but her acting is always good. plus she seems to not get hung up on only taking tom cruise style big roles/movies... done a lot of work, including indies. IIRC she was in a gus van sandt movie and was fantastic. or my brain is playing tricks on me. definitely in that lars von trier thing that happened after lars had jumped the shark (for me).
She is very very good.

Dogville = Von Trier movie

To Die For = Van Sant movie

Dead Calm = boat movie          <<<<<<<< forgot to add that one

Agree on the facework...oy

Her earlobes look domino-sized.

Last edited by a moderator:
Amazing Hotels - Just found this show last night. BBC show. Watched the first episode last night and the second right now. If you enjoy travel - you will definitely like this show. I want to go to these places so bad.

Re-watching Peaky Blinders with Mrs. Dogg. Still love it.
I just finished S1. It was good fun, moving along for me until the last two episodes maybe. They were terrible! The writing was just piss-poor. I'm have a high opinion of Cillian Murphy as an actor but he cannot elevate that kind of tripe.

Do we talk about The Boys in here or in the Amazon Prime thread? Ive no idea anymore.  Watched the pilot tonight and can say I’m all in. 
I watched EP1 and I am on the fence.  I don't think I will last much longer if all it will be is supers doing bad/violent/raunchy things.    I do like the idea of the corporate backing and charging for a super to protect a city though.  

Do we talk about The Boys in here or in the Amazon Prime thread? Ive no idea anymore.  Watched the pilot tonight and can say I’m all in. 
I watched EP1 and I am on the fence.  I don't think I will last much longer if all it will be is supers doing bad/violent/raunchy things.    I do like the idea of the corporate backing and charging for a super to protect a city though
I watched The Tick, which sounds a bit similar and kind of ran out of steam with the concept.

What's it about?
Basically 100s of superheroes protecting us, a main core of 7 that are knock off Marvel/DC characters, but most are huge dooshes and are essentially running amok under our noses.  Seems to be most are pervs, murderers, con artists, and/or rapists. 

Lots of talk about Travelers, Fringe, etc. in here over the years.

We're on episode 3.2 of 12 Monkeys (Hulu) and it's the best sci-fi series like this in existence imo aside from The Expanse, which is nearly a different genre. Time travel fiction has never been done better on TV imo. 

And I hear that it has one of the best endings in recent TV history after a pre-planned, tight four seasons too. I believe it, given how well it's been written so far and how each of the twists has linked back perfectly with things going all the way back to the pilot. 

Highly recommend. Apologies if this has already been talked about at length in here. But for the people just now catching up on The Expanse, I feel like it's useful to know that the same channel had another equally good show airing at the same time, it turns out. Damn, SyFy. 

Lots of talk about Travelers, Fringe, etc. in here over the years.

We're on episode 3.2 of 12 Monkeys (Hulu) and it's the best sci-fi series like this in existence imo aside from The Expanse, which is nearly a different genre. Time travel fiction has never been done better on TV imo. 

And I hear that it has one of the best endings in recent TV history after a pre-planned, tight four seasons too. I believe it, given how well it's been written so far and how each of the twists has linked back perfectly with things going all the way back to the pilot. 

Highly recommend. Apologies if this has already been talked about at length in here. But for the people just now catching up on The Expanse, I feel like it's useful to know that the same channel had another equally good show airing at the same time, it turns out. Damn, SyFy. 
Thanks - I will add this to my queue.  The movie is one of my faves, but I just never gave it a shot - mostly because I thought it would be a bad knock off and it seemed like the few things I tried on SyFy was cheesy as hell so I wrote off the channel.   The Expanse changed my mind a bit on the channel, so I will give this a go.  

I keep a running list of stuff my wife and I get through...if you like other stuff I rated well you'll probably like the rest of it.  Probably could have gone with three categories (the top two, middle two, bottom two), but I'm committed to the schtick at this point.

Code:
(Perfect, 10/10)

Les Revenants (French)
Band of Brothers
--------------------
(Outstanding, 9-9.5)

Game of Thrones  
Breaking Bad
Russian Doll
Call My Agent (French)
Dark* (German)
---------------------
(New Golden Age of TV, 8-8.5)

Broadchurch 
Babylon Berlin* (German)
Catastrophe
The Fall  
Happy Valley
Stranger Things*
The OA*
---------------------
("Good TV", 7.0-7.5)

3% (Brazilian)*
Peaky Blinders
The Innocents*
Wild Wild Country
Godless
--------------------
(Watchable, 6-6.5)

Mind Hunters*  
Poldark*
Alias Grace 
Big Little Lies
---------------------- 
(Average, 5-5.5)

The Staircase
Jessica Jones  
The Rain (Danish)

People on the internet are scary sometimes.  I looked at a couple of 1 star reviews for The Boys, and ….

No.
Sorry.
Any show that has full frontal male nudity but only topless "nudity" for females deserves to have every participant lined up against a wall and shot. Disgusting.

Not a single weak woman in the whole series! they are all badasses, really? Starlight is the definition of boring everything about her makes me wanna vomit it. Not recommended

The show is entertaining, but episode 5 was too much. From beginning to end it was constant anti christian messaging. Funny how all three of the show creators are Jewish.

Ever since I was doing the movie polls I sometimes look at the 1-2 star reviews for a laugh, but WTF is wrong with these people?  

People on the internet are scary sometimes.  I looked at a couple of 1 star reviews for The Boys, and ….

No.
Sorry.
Any show that has full frontal male nudity but only topless "nudity" for females deserves to have every participant lined up against a wall and shot. Disgusting.

Not a single weak woman in the whole series! they are all badasses, really? Starlight is the definition of boring everything about her makes me wanna vomit it. Not recommended

The show is entertaining, but episode 5 was too much. From beginning to end it was constant anti christian messaging. Funny how all three of the show creators are Jewish.

Ever since I was doing the movie polls I sometimes look at the 1-2 star reviews for a laugh, but WTF is wrong with these people?  
Is it so hard to say "Don't like it; doesn't fit my world-view"? Instead, we get "disgusting" because it has full-frontal male nudity but "only" topless females, and "makes me wanna vomit" because it has badass women, and anti-Semetic garbage.

I honestly weep for our society. 

Girls with Balls

yeah, went into this one with low expectations, but the wife and kids are out of town and this looked good for some T&A fun.

First: it is French dubbed into English and weirdly done. 

Second: zero nudity. For a movie that has previews that show so much sexuality--nothing. Teasing eye candy abounds, but  it is like one big blue ball festival I must say.

Third: it is like slapstick comedy in parts. Is it a comedy movie? It is a horror movie? The humor is so juvenile, yet the content adult. Weird, and I must warn there is animal abuse.

The good is there are some gruesome kills and buckets of blood 

Ughh...only if you are bored/drunk (I was both)  watch this movie.

It’s dark, irreverent, obscene and hyper-violent. That said, I find it curiously entertaining and am enjoying it quite a bit. And frankly, if superheroes did actually exist, I feel like reality would be closer to The Boys than to The Avengers. 
4th episode went way dark

Users who are viewing this thread