What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread) (11 Viewers)

Ok re: Mindhunter I didn’t like the storyline with Bill’s kid. That was a miss for me. Halfway through though and thoroughly enjoying the rest  

Hey, I wanted to like Mindhunter season 2.  First couple of episodes were just what I needed.  Then it just turns into nothing.

Best part of season was ed kemper actor talking about how he gets into character.  Then.....none of that.

Think Fincher directed first few episodes.  Why season went downhill after that.

Good Posting Judge said:
Capella said:
Ok re: Mindhunter I didn’t like the storyline with Bill’s kid. That was a miss for me. Halfway through though and thoroughly enjoying the rest  
Yeah I don't get it.
so the judge guy said you can tell a bad one at an early age and the guys they interview all started with something horrible when they were young and it looks to this old boy like they were trying to set up that tenchhan was worried his kid was a just startin out cereal killer that is all i am sayin take that to the bank brohans 

so the judge guy said you can tell a bad one at an early age and the guys they interview all started with something horrible when they were young and it looks to this old boy like they were trying to set up that tenchhan was worried his kid was a just startin out cereal killer that is all i am sayin take that to the bank brohans 
I agree with this. Makes you think about the whole are serial killers made or are they born question.

The Boys....still making my mind up but the one thing that really jumped out at me is Elizabeth Shue has alligator skin and nice boobs.

saintfool said:
How do you feel about Atom Egoyan?
I can't say, I have never seen any of his films. But would place many other Canadian directors above him as gold standard in this category.

El Floppo said:
I crush your head.
Great show. I did find it a little more hit or miss than TPB Letterkenny but for those skits when it was on, it was vastly better than those two.

I love SCTV and The Kids in The Hall. Does that redeem my Canadian credentials?
As a Canadian, I will absolutely say a friendly yes to your face, and also passively aggressively think you just don't get it behind your back.

Another Life (series) - the effects were good (for the most part) but the dialogue and acting were terrible. It was like 90210 or something in space. Characters made stupid decision after stupid decision - it was laughable in a lot of parts. The only cool part was the holographic AI that was part of the ship - but they ended up ruining him too

2/10 and I am a big sci-fi fan
It was completely laughable, Alien artifact hits earth.  Let's have a woman general in charge.  Also let's send up a Woman Captain, along with a almost an entire women crew and a tranny, oh while we're at it let's through in some gay guys to round out the crew!  Makes for some laughablely bad tv.  With horrible decisions by the crew.  Worth a watch just for the laughs.

Netflix should do an ed kemper movie.
By far hands down the best part of the series. Guy who plays Speck is solid, but the actor playing Kemper nails him entirely. And he's extraordinarily, realistically chilling.

I am surprised at all the love for The Boys, but I can admit that I am turning into a grumpy old fart.  
I was surprised by how much I ended up loving the boys. Thought it was going to be a cheap, cheesy "Man in the High Castle"-esque Watchmen rip-off.

But it grew on me very quickly and a really well done show, top to bottom. And Urban just kills it.

I am surprised at all the love for The Boys, but I can admit that I am turning into a grumpy old fart.  
it's more plot-driven than character-driven, imo. once i got past the "bad superheroes", which didn't take long, and focused on the overarching plotting then it got more interesting.

Signed back up with Prime and decided to re-watch Boston Legal. The show is still hilarious and awesome. Spader and Shatner are great together, and there are beautiful women in every episode.

Mindhunter S2 was a pretty big tease. Atlanta was an interesting case but it didn't offer much. The diversions into personal lives were ultimately pretty empty.  I don't feel like it advanced the show itself much at all from S1. I don't feel like it's done enough to confirm their methodology, their characters, or their place in time.

saintfool said:
Mindhunter S2 was a pretty big tease. Atlanta was an interesting case but it didn't offer much. The diversions into personal lives were ultimately pretty empty.  I don't feel like it advanced the show itself much at all from S1. I don't feel like it's done enough to confirm their methodology, their characters, or their place in time.
Slow burn maybe?  They do seem to have an end goal, assume it's catching BTK after his long hiatus, thus ultimately redeeming the approach.

Slow burn maybe?  They do seem to have an end goal, assume it's catching BTK after his long hiatus, thus ultimately redeeming the approach.
BTK was caught because he slipped up in his arrogance and sent a computer file with traceable info to the local PD. Seems like it would be a stretch to tie Holden and Bill’s work into that. 

BTK was caught because he slipped up in his arrogance and sent a computer file with traceable info to the local PD. Seems like it would be a stretch to tie Holden and Bill’s work into that. 
Holden: It doesn't fit the profile. He's really more of a Mac person!

The latest Chapelle was a mixed bag. Some funny stuff. Gets into a lot of the PC police stuff, some of which frankly was pretty dumb. Had some great lines as well. About on par with his last couple Netflix specials.

New Netflix documentary American Factory aint much fun, but it's something everybody who cares about America should watch. It's about a Chinese conglomerate reviving a rustbelt factory and it makes both cultures look equally repulsive. I'm a union guy - helped bring AFSCME to county health workers in Albq and twice a shop steward - but it was as sad to watch UAW poach the sitch and members from back when the factory was an auto plant be spoiled #####es (when they're kinda out of options) as it was to watch the Chinese expect fearless-leader regimentation from fat, tattooed Americans.

Last edited by a moderator:
The latest Chapelle was a mixed bag. Some funny stuff. Gets into a lot of the PC police stuff, some of which frankly was pretty dumb. Had some great lines as well. About on par with his last couple Netflix specials.
I just saw a Vice headline that "Chapelle Doubles Down on Homophobia and Transphobia." I'm a giant pinko commie feminist, but if we view all comedy through the lens of political correctness, literally nothing will ever be proper subject matter for jokes. 

I just saw a Vice headline that "Chapelle Doubles Down on Homophobia and Transphobia." I'm a giant pinko commie feminist, but if we view all comedy through the lens of political correctness, literally nothing will ever be proper subject matter for jokes. 
That’s fine. It just needs to be actually funny.

Says who? What's "actually funny" is subjective.  Not what the outrage mob decides is funny. 
Says me. I watched it and it was just ok.

Just because you tell some non-PC jokes doesn’t make it automatically funny. Some of the jokes were frankly too stupid for Chapelle. He’s set a high bar.

I did laugh out loud a couple times for sure.

New Netflix documentary American Factory aint much fun, but it's something everybody who cares about America should watch. It's about a Chinese conglomerate reviving a rustbelt factory and it makes both cultures look equally repulsive. I'm a union guy - helped bring AFSCME to county health workers in Albq and twice a shop steward - but it was as sad to watch UAW poach the sitch and members from back when the factory was an auto plant be spoiled #####es (when they're kinda out of options) as it was to watch the Chinese expect fearless-leader regimentation from fat, tattooed Americans.
I thought the name of that was "Gung Ho"?

(I know, Chinese, not Japanese, they are not the same)

MAJOR SUGGESTION.....PLEASE READ:

Because this thread is huge and there are other content providers now (Hulu, Amazon, etc.), can we keep this thread for ONLY Netflix?

And then someone can start up an Amazon Prime TV thread, a Hulu thread, etc.

I think it will keep everything cleaner.   :excited:

the series is set up for 5 seasons, I guess one could read the book to see what may be coming in the next 3 :shrug:

we watched it the other night.

interesting doc in that- as you mention- it's not imposing an agenda in any clear way. everybody seems to be presented fairly faithfully and fairly and yeah- neither side particularly cover themselves with glory here.

I had a thought while watching that I haven't really stretched out to test... the communist underpinnings of the chinese culture presented- everybody working together and hard to make the factory better, usually at the expense of the individual (aside from the boss-man)- where "better" is a more productive/profitable company, not individual... and especially as compared to the more individually driven US workers... seemed the perfect distillation/end-result for capitalism. communist ideals applied to profitability- where workers are worked to the bone without much if any life/family balance to get the collective "better"... even if apparently the only thing they get in return is pride (and a job) rather than any kind of financial or lifestyle windfall. that was the fundamental non-compute between the cultures, IMO. and on the flip side, the telling comments were the assemblyman saying these were the types of worker conditions the US had already eliminated 80 years ago through labor laws/unions. 

side note- this was the obamas' first foray into tv/film production- and they appear to be lined up to do more. 

we watched it the other night.

interesting doc in that- as you mention- it's not imposing an agenda in any clear way. everybody seems to be presented fairly faithfully and fairly and yeah- neither side particularly cover themselves with glory here.

I had a thought while watching that I haven't really stretched out to test... the communist underpinnings of the chinese culture presented- everybody working together and hard to make the factory better, usually at the expense of the individual (aside from the boss-man)- where "better" is a more productive/profitable company, not individual... and especially as compared to the more individually driven US workers... seemed the perfect distillation/end-result for capitalism. communist ideals applied to profitability- where workers are worked to the bone without much if any life/family balance to get the collective "better"... even if apparently the only thing they get in return is pride (and a job) rather than any kind of financial or lifestyle windfall. that was the fundamental non-compute between the cultures, IMO. and on the flip side, the telling comments were the assemblyman saying these were the types of worker conditions the US had already eliminated 80 years ago through labor laws/unions. 

side note- this was the obamas' first foray into tv/film production- and they appear to be lined up to do more. 
didn't know that was the obamas. was the factory a pet project of his presidency?

it breaks my heart because i know what unions can do, even though my union involvement was largely in public-employee organization, (which i am now halfway against) a very different thing from manufacturing unions. it's hard to tell the financial corruption from the moral corruption of unions, because both are based in wanting more and more, no matter the effect on the companies they should be partners in.

there should be unions for everything - consumer unions, sports fan unions, citizen unions - as well as labor unions but, because the robber barons were hiring militias to stop labor organization in the beginning, worker advocates had to fight fire w fire and that let gangsters and Commies (some taking barking orders from Moscow) take the fight and their subsequent power hunger and malfeasance ruined one of the most excellent concepts in the sectarian ethic. and the fruit of that poisonous tree keeps falling on my head & giving me migraines because one of the best tools of common man has become a third rail.

I thought the name of that was "Gung Ho"?

(I know, Chinese, not Japanese, they are not the same)
Man, was early Michael Keaton entertaining.

I mean, any Michael Keaton is entertaining, but I have such love for his early work -- Night Shift, Mr. Mom, and Gung Ho were phenomenal. Johnny Dangerously was the outlier (and highly skippable IMHO).

didn't know that was the obamas. was the factory a pet project of his presidency?

it breaks my heart because i know what unions can do, even though my union involvement was largely in public-employee organization, (which i am now halfway against) a very different thing from manufacturing unions. it's hard to tell the financial corruption from the moral corruption of unions, because both are based in wanting more and more, no matter the effect on the companies they should be partners in.

there should be unions for everything - consumer unions, sports fan unions, citizen unions - as well as labor unions but, because the robber barons were hiring militias to stop labor organization in the beginning, worker advocates had to fight fire w fire and that let gangsters and Commies (some taking barking orders from Moscow) take the fight and their subsequent power hunger and malfeasance ruined one of the most excellent concepts in the sectarian ethic. and the fruit of that poisonous tree keeps falling on my head & giving me migraines because one of the best tools of common man has become a third rail.
I think the obamas started a production company and asked for submittals- pretty sure this was a project that they found, not created. (eta- as far as I know, they have no connection to the factory or chinese input... IIRC, that happened during Trump administration)

I also found it interesting that what could be interpreted as the communal/communist ideals of the labor unions would be so derided by the chinese here- even though they're presented as a big union, just without any benefits whatsoever. 

yeah- like communism, the power historically corrupts those at the top to hold onto and grab more and more and more at the expense of the community they're supposed to be representing.

Last edited by a moderator:
The General said:
That’s fine. It just needs to be actually funny.
We owe Dave Chappelle this one. There ain't a person (having just watched it i, of course, wanna call us n--s) in this forum who hasn't had his perspective broadened by this man. He tried to make everything funny in this show and if he didn't think he had, he wouldn'ta done it. He was wrong in several spots in Sticks & Stones and for most of a whole segment* but i still enjoyed it and wouldn't want him to change anything except that segment (and that was only for aesthetics' sake). Being righteous & outrageous at the same time is a razor's edge and he's got some cuts on him today, but i was proud that he was willing to bleed for what people can and cannot say today where i wasn't actually laughing (and i laughed a lot). He tries again, though, in the same way, he has to be spot-on every time or move on. If not, he's Lenny Bruce reading his trial transcripts and even the guy who STARTED IT ALL don't get a pass for that. Good show.

* =

the Jussie Smollett bit. if he wants to make that kind of fun of the rest of us, he's got to fall on his sword for somebody of his race being that ridiculous and, since he couldn't, he should have left it out cuz it hurt the shape of the set.

We owe Dave Chappelle this one. There ain't a person (having just watched it i, of course, wanna call us n--s) in this forum who hasn't had his perspective broadened by this man. He tried to make everything funny in this show and if he didn't think he had, he wouldn'ta done it. He was wrong in several spots in Sticks & Stones and for most of a whole segment* but i still enjoyed it and wouldn't want him to change anything except that segment (and that was only for aesthetics' sake). Being righteous & outrageous at the same time is a razor's edge and he's got some cuts on him today, but i was proud that he was willing to bleed for what people can and cannot say today where i wasn't actually laughing (and i laughed a lot). He tries again, though, in the same way, he has to be spot-on every time or move on. If not, he's Lenny Bruce reading his trial transcripts and even the guy who STARTED IT ALL don't get a pass for that. Good show.

* =

the Jussie Smollett bit. if he wants to make that kind of fun of the rest of us, he's got to fall on his sword for somebody of his race being that ridiculous and, since he couldn't, he should have left it out cuz it hurt the shape of the set.
People can do whatever they want. Important tool for an artist. But I’m not going to fall all over myself saying it was great or anything because it wasn’t IMO, and in parts it was kind of hacky stuff. 

I did enjoyed watching it but I get it already, overly PC people are annoying. Not exactly new ground here.

My CC aged out on Netflix.  Took the option to cancel my service (still got Prime actiavted with the Great Courses add-on).  Henceforth, I'm declaring the winter months as Netflix season; will re-activate mid-December, and cancel near the Ides of March.

Users who are viewing this thread