What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread) (2 Viewers)

eoMMan said:
MAJOR SUGGESTION.....PLEASE READ:

Because this thread is huge and there are other content providers now (Hulu, Amazon, etc.), can we keep this thread for ONLY Netflix?

And then someone can start up an Amazon Prime TV thread, a Hulu thread, etc.

I think it will keep everything cleaner.   :excited:
No
:goodposting:   I currently only subscribe to Netflix, but enjoy reading reviews from other providers.

No idea if I'll ever subscribe to the other ones, but at least from reading the reviews I get an idea if it is worth it or not.

With prime, hulu, Netflix, disney, the upgraded hbo, etc, etc,   1/2 the first page would be clogged up with the individual services.  What about vudu, Criterion channel, mubi.....

September on Netflix is going to be epic:

Between Two Ferns Movie and a new Sacha Baron Cohen movie both premiering next month

:popcorn:

...and new Peaky Blinders in October!

eoMMan said:
MAJOR SUGGESTION.....PLEASE READ:

Because this thread is huge and there are other content providers now (Hulu, Amazon, etc.), can we keep this thread for ONLY Netflix?

And then someone can start up an Amazon Prime TV thread, a Hulu thread, etc.

I think it will keep everything cleaner.   :excited:
No
:goodposting:   I currently only subscribe to Netflix, but enjoy reading reviews from other providers.

No idea if I'll ever subscribe to the other ones, but at least from reading the reviews I get an idea if it is worth it or not.
agree- it's useful to have a one-stop shop for this stuff.

and fwiw- there already is an Amazon Prime TV thread... barely used. 

that said, it would be useful if someone's discussing a non-Netflix show to say where it's located in the OP. that will save the inevitable- "wait, is this on netflix?" back and forth. 

Dave Chappelle: Stick & Stones...I liked it a lot. 

Mindhunter, season 2...starts slow but picks up by the mid-point. 

Wu Assasins, season 1...sort of like sci-fi Kung Fu.  Decent enough plot and each episode is good for 1-2 good fight scenes.  This is not classic John Woo by any means by still enjoyable enough.

Tiffany Haddish Presents, They Ready...about half way through this and been pleasantly surprised.

agree- it's useful to have a one-stop shop for this stuff.

and fwiw- there already is an Amazon Prime TV thread... barely used. 

that said, it would be useful if someone's discussing a non-Netflix show to say where it's located in the OP. that will save the inevitable- "wait, is this on netflix?" back and forth. 
Can we at least get a title change?   :D

Just change the title to **THE STREAMING TV SHOW/MOVIE THREAD** 

We all most likely have these services under one device so going from amazon prime to netflix to hulu is basically nothing leaving next to no distinction.  

Followup to eoMMAN who bravely suggested consideration for change. I think this thread is super cool but is no longer simply "Netflix gems" as much as it is commentary on great content, mediocre content, bad content, characters, plot discussion, scene hints, premium underwear, upcoming shows, etc .

Perhaps we could make a new username that 2-3 people have access to for keeping up. To compliment the larger thread, what I would like to explore is one continually edited topic which only tracks liked content and looks something like the following:

NEWER SHOWS:

8/27/19: Dave Chappelle Sticks & Stones _The General; Flapgreen;

8/26/19: American Factory_ Wikkidpissah; El Foppo

8/15/1919 Mindhunter Season 2_ Jdoggydog; Rattle and Hump; Saintfool; Psychopav

NEWER MOVIES:

8/1/19 The Red Sea Diving School_eoMMan; 

8/30/19: Point Blank: Psychopav; Capella; 

OLDER CONTENT::

Making of a Murderer_ TheHugger, The Flying Elvis; Brandon Dasey, 15 others

Breaking Bad_ everyone; everyone, everyone

Johnny Dangerously_ TobiasFunke; belljr

I don't Have a Clue: Shuke

BTK was caught because he slipped up in his arrogance and sent a computer file with traceable info to the local PD. Seems like it would be a stretch to tie Holden and Bill’s work into that. 
That dude's testimony was chilling.  I'm sure he's provided them a few more checkboxes on the profiling side.

If you want to watch a big fat human piece of garbage ruin his life through his own arrogance, stupidity, and lack of human compassion, check out Chappaquiddick

Imagine living in a world where you have incredible wealth and power, where you are basically the Fredo of your family but the rest of the Corleone's have paved the way for you to be President....and all you have to do is not be a complete piece of human filth.  You can be a tier one jag, womanizer, pill popper,  and drunk and still be President as long as you have the Kennedy last name.  You just can't go FULL heinous.  He couldn't do it.

As much as this movie presents the horror-show that was Ted Kennedy, from everything I've ever read on the subject this movie presents the situation in the best possible light for Teddy.  So watch the film with an eye toward this being the most sympathetic portrayal of the incident from a Kennedy perspective.

Chappelle was terrible. Hasn’t he been making the same jokes about metoo, transsexuals and guys like Louis CK for multiple specials now? 

Also, his Michael Jackson commentary. Woof. Awful. Trying too hard to be outrageous. 

If you want to watch a big fat human piece of garbage ruin his life through his own arrogance, stupidity, and lack of human compassion, check out Chappaquiddick

Imagine living in a world where you have incredible wealth and power, where you are basically the Fredo of your family but the rest of the Corleone's have paved the way for you to be President....and all you have to do is not be a complete piece of human filth.  You can be a tier one jag, womanizer, pill popper,  and drunk and still be President as long as you have the Kennedy last name.  You just can't go FULL heinous.  He couldn't do it.

As much as this movie presents the horror-show that was Ted Kennedy, from everything I've ever read on the subject this movie presents the situation in the best possible light for Teddy.  So watch the film with an eye toward this being the most sympathetic portrayal of the incident from a Kennedy perspective.
It is an excellent film, indeed.

Just finished season 3 of Gomorrah (first two are on Netflix).  Italian mob show, in Italian so have to watch with subtitles.  Has progressively gotten better each season, I’d recommend.

Chappelle was terrible. Hasn’t he been making the same jokes about metoo, transsexuals and guys like Louis CK for multiple specials now? 

Also, his Michael Jackson commentary. Woof. Awful. Trying too hard to be outrageous. 
Thought it had it's funny moments but parts were pretty rough and a few of the bits were just unfunny. 

Just finished season 3 of Gomorrah (first two are on Netflix).  Italian mob show, in Italian so have to watch with subtitles.  Has progressively gotten better each season, I’d recommend.
i liked the movie well enough. it was interesting in parts even if it wasn't a conventional mob film. this is how much like the film?

i liked the movie well enough. it was interesting in parts even if it wasn't a conventional mob film. this is how much like the film?
I watched these on Sundance when they first aired and couldn't drum up any other viewers at the time- may have even started a thread. also can't remember if I caught two or three seasons- hoping I have another season to watch. I recall enjoying them with the imperfect hero and a slice of Naples and Italy I hadn't seen before, but having a qualm or three which I can't remember specifically....going to do a search and see if I can find my comments.

I watched these on Sundance when they first aired and couldn't drum up any other viewers at the time- may have even started a thread. also can't remember if I caught two or three seasons- hoping I have another season to watch. I recall enjoying them with the imperfect hero and a slice of Naples and Italy I hadn't seen before, but having a qualm or three which I can't remember specifically....going to do a search and see if I can find my comments.
There are actually four seasons....so you are probably in luck for at least one more.  The character dynamics in season 3 get really good.

saintfool, i haven't seen the movie but looks like there would be a lot of comparable

There are actually four seasons....so you are probably in luck for at least one more.  The character dynamics in season 3 get really good.

saintfool, i haven't seen the movie but looks like there would be a lot of comparable
Fwiw...I did start a thread.

I lived in Italy a short time and found that they culturally tended to overdo things in their arts, which veer into overwrought and schmaltzy territory pdq (at least for my liking- preferring more subtlety). 

But I did like the show in spite of it, and had looked on Sundance a number of time for more seasons. Thanks for posting this...Will check this out to see what I've missed. I remember a season with the son in Rome, iirc being the last I watched.

Eta... You said first two are on Netflix...where's the other two?

Last edited by a moderator:
Fwiw...I did start a thread.

I lived in Italy a short time and found that they culturally tended to overdo things in their arts, which veer into overwrought and schmaltzy territory pdq (at least for my liking- preferring more subtlety). 

But I did like the show in spite of it, and had looked on Sundance a number of time for more seasons. Thanks for posting this...Will check this out to see what I've missed. I remember a season with the son in Rome, iirc being the last I watched.

Eta... You said first two are on Netflix...where's the other two?
Alternative streaming methods 😉.

My SIL liked the series so much, she bought a separate DVD player to watch season 3 (apparently the dvd players in italy are different...)

I'm thinking you probably stopped at season 2...3 is better.

Also, she mentioned to me that season 5 is greenlit

Alternative streaming methods 😉.

My SIL liked the series so much, she bought a separate DVD player to watch season 3 (apparently the dvd players in italy are different...)

I'm thinking you probably stopped at season 2...3 is better.

Also, she mentioned to me that season 5 is greenlit
Yo ho ho and a bottle of ...alternative streaming?

Is this the one where he sits on a chair in front of a small crowd or a newer one. 

I didn't really like the last one I saw.
it's called Sticks and Stones. Just showed up the other day. If you like Chapelle it's worth watching. He's does seem to be turning into a bigger ahole the older he gets.

it's called Sticks and Stones. Just showed up the other day. If you like Chapelle it's worth watching. He's does seem to be turning into a bigger ahole the older he gets.
Lol...great way of putting it.

I've loved almost everything he's done but his last one, just looked it up, called The Bird Revelation wasn't very good. A few laughs but it was mostly #####ing and moaning about stuff. 

Lol...great way of putting it.

I've loved almost everything he's done but his last one, just looked it up, called The Bird Revelation wasn't very good. A few laughs but it was mostly #####ing and moaning about stuff. 
More of the same in this one. If you like him I’d still watch for sure. He has a great delivery and is just naturally funny but he’s doing bits on MIchael Jackson that I’ve all ready heard. He also had some stuff that was just mean IMO. 

I watched it on a plane and the made the hit go by which I was what I was looking for. 

I guess there’s some Q/A at the end that you have to wait for. I missed that.

Is this the one where he sits on a chair in front of a small crowd or a newer one. 

I didn't really like the last one I saw.
then you wont like this one. it's Chappelle taking his old jury selection sketch seriously. Jacko's legacy, RKelly and finally his own self on trial for his own non-PC indictments in the court of public opinion. he tries to write his way to a successful verdict on all of it, makes some stunning points in his summation but ultimately fails to prove that he's bigger than his material.

ETA: i tried to review S2 without spoilering but, if any y'all think i should cover any of it, lemme know. Reader beware, i guess.

Finished S2 of Mindhunter and ended up quite disappointed after many promising moments. Lotta stretching & filling (apparently, 8 eps became 9 eps cuz Netflix wanted 10 eps like last season) and, ultimately, disruptive & gratuitous story arcs. Rarely have i seen a more poorly-conceived sub-plot than Tench's kid. If that had actually happened to one of the principals the series was based on, i would have had to bury it for its clunky distractiveness. To make it up as a structural pile-on is confounding, and i originally liked the angle of an already unlikely BSU agent w a problem kid at home. And Wendy Carr's personal subplot devolved into more clumsy underlining of her loneliness arc from S1 when, if Anna Torv needed more screen time while everyone was in Atlanta, they had given themselves the ingredients of an important arc with her "outing" herself in one of the interviews. The post-Hoover FBI woulda had a field day with that, but....... And Atlanta itself was a clusterhug that was always going to be disappointing, but was still underwritten. Not as disappointing an S2 as Ozark, but......

ETA: i tried to review S2 without spoilering but, if any y'all think i should cover any of it, lemme know. Reader beware, i guess.

Finished S2 of Mindhunter and ended up quite disappointed after many promising moments. Lotta stretching & filling (apparently, 8 eps became 9 eps cuz Netflix wanted 10 eps like last season) and, ultimately, disruptive & gratuitous story arcs. Rarely have i seen a more poorly-conceived sub-plot than Tench's kid. If that had actually happened to one of the principals the series was based on, i would have had to bury it for its clunky distractiveness. To make it up as a structural pile-on is confounding, and i originally liked the angle of an already unlikely BSU agent w a problem kid at home. And Wendy Carr's personal subplot devolved into more clumsy underlining of her loneliness arc from S1 when, if Anna Torv needed more screen time while everyone was in Atlanta, they had given themselves the ingredients of an important arc with her "outing" herself in one of the interviews. The post-Hoover FBI woulda had a field day with that, but....... And Atlanta itself was a clusterhug that was always going to be disappointing, but was still underwritten. Not as disappointing an S2 as Ozark, but......
The tenchkid story, solely there so they could have characters blurt out more than once that people are born bad and have tench have to inwardly question it with outwardly pained expression. Subtle it weren't.

But at least we didn't have Holden gf this season. Even though wife and I used lesbian grinder time for checking out emails and the news on our phones...just a waste of screen time. We're flirting! We're bowling! We're scissoring! We're fighting!  when every second of the killers' interviews, including prep and review, were so enthralling- it's mindbottling they felt the need to offer character development this way.

Tbh, I didn't mind Atlanta. Showed the group put into action, with all the ugly warts of their approach. and like the actual case, presented it with room for debate re the actual killer, who iirc maintains his innocence.

One thing I really liked about S2 is that it was primarily just good old detective work that caught the bad guy:

--using river current patterns to diagnose where the killer likely dumped the some of the bodies

--the classic stakeouts

The new 'cutting edge' mode isn't full-proof on its own.

I liked season 2 but I turned a blind eye to the terrible love life story for Dr. Carr (like season one with Holden and Hope Solo) and just got into the Atlanta story. I thought that was engrossing. 

Not the best show on tv but definitely a really excellent one and I’ll see it through till the end. It’s good. 

Tbh, I didn't mind Atlanta. Showed the group put into action, with all the ugly warts of their approach. and like the actual case, presented it with room for debate re the actual killer, who iirc maintains his innocence.
Guess i just really invested in it cuz Atkid was the first i remember paying attention to serial killers because the story was the victims more than the killer. You just wanted it to end. I'd had a job interview at Capricorn Records earlier in the decade and i got lost driving from Atl to Macon and saw rows of sharecropper cabins w four generations out on the porch and such and just couldnt imagine such stultifying poverty to occur in USA (dunno why, but it just felt eleventeen times more depressing than SBronx-type po') and i flashed on that every time an Atkid went missing (then i soonafter read Red Dragon and became a total profilehead).

If ida did it, i woulda continued down the line of the woman who introduced him to the problem (my favorite ep of the season), maybe even made that the romance for the season. That, plus more of the comedy of the confounding southern bureaucracy so well captured by the peckowood finding ways not to do the signs for Ford, Barney getting farther into the mallkid culture and Tench (relieved of that awful subplot w his boy, of course) reflecting the joy of being a cop on a stakeout, woulda bounced off the creep-on-the-loose and those mamas losing their babies much better.

This is on Amazon, but watched the first episode of Carnival Row last night.

Still not sure what I think. I want to keep watching but can't say it's a good show just yet. 

This is on Amazon, but watched the first episode of Carnival Row last night.

Still not sure what I think. I want to keep watching but can't say it's a good show just yet. 
Was looking forward to this...hope it's good- could use some decent fantasy instead of all the distopian stuff.

Getting a li'l tired of Netflix documentaries that would've been decent as 2hr flix but are stretched out to several episodes (and i jusplain don't see the % in doing so since it don't but hurt the network's bottom line)

The Family is the most recent of that vintage. Church v State becomes more & more important the less & less the altar is a fact of daily life and revealing the existence of an insidious inside-Washington Jesus power network is a good story but the 5-eps daudle on what they've uncovered without actually making the People vs The Fellowship case or indicting the actual influence peddled within. Is it Illuminati-type stuff, more Russian meddling, corruption hiding behind God, a Nazi network or just a lot of important people who like Jesus AND power? There are worse things to stream 5 eps on, but you won't get much of a handle on answers if you do.

Watched "Roma" last night and liked it. I can see where it Curaron earned thethe awards. It's a lovely looking B/W film, for sure, with a nice story behind it. It's not for everyone but it felt like a throwback film in a lot of ways to me. It's definitely a personal story for him and goes into great detail about life in that time/place/house. Lead actress does a fantastic job of staying within herself and letting the story flow through her.

Started S2 of "Fleabag". Hate the hot priest. Hated him as Moriarty in "Sherlock" too. He's just all actor-ly tics and tricks, imo. Phoebe is great. 

Watched the first episode of The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance. My 10-year-old self loved the original movie when it came out in the early 80s. My 10-year-old self obviously had low standards. It was awful. I felt like the Skeksis had drained my essence.

Users who are viewing this thread