What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread) (8 Viewers)

Watched the first episode of The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance. My 10-year-old self loved the original movie when it came out in the early 80s. My 10-year-old self obviously had low standards. It was awful. I felt like the Skeksis had drained my essence.
Before I knew this was being remade I reached it with my 8yo daughter. She has much better taste than 10yo you or I. The original was bizarre and terrible.

Finished S2 of "Fleabag" and liked it. It was funny and quick, like other BBC comedies are  ("Catastrophe" comes to mind). It's not for everyone but it's full of little moments that are wonderful. Glad she's content to end the show now.

Finished S2 of "Fleabag" and liked it. It was funny and quick, like other BBC comedies are  ("Catastrophe" comes to mind). It's not for everyone but it's full of little moments that are wonderful. Glad she's content to end the show now.
Those two pair well- fan of both.

Guess i just really invested in it cuz Atkid was the first i remember paying attention to serial killers because the story was the victims more than the killer. You just wanted it to end. I'd had a job interview at Capricorn Records earlier in the decade and i got lost driving from Atl to Macon and saw rows of sharecropper cabins w four generations out on the porch and such and just couldnt imagine such stultifying poverty to occur in USA (dunno why, but it just felt eleventeen times more depressing than SBronx-type po') and i flashed on that every time an Atkid went missing (then i soonafter read Red Dragon and became a total profilehead).

If ida did it, i woulda continued down the line of the woman who introduced him to the problem (my favorite ep of the season), maybe even made that the romance for the season. That, plus more of the comedy of the confounding southern bureaucracy so well captured by the peckowood finding ways not to do the signs for Ford, Barney getting farther into the mallkid culture and Tench (relieved of that awful subplot w his boy, of course) reflecting the joy of being a cop on a stakeout, woulda bounced off the creep-on-the-loose and those mamas losing their babies much better.
quite a coup getting the real Wayne Williams to play himself, though.

although i was really hoping that the killer would turn out to be Sammy Davis, Jr.

El Floppo said:
 The original was bizarre and terrible.
Let's agree to disagree. Bizarre? Certainly. Terrible? I refuse to believe it. 

That said, I've seen the new series panned, so very nervous to watch it and have all my dear memories of this movie shattered.

El Floppo said:
Those two pair well- fan of both.
If you want to keep the excellent UK sitcom theme going check out Derry Girls, a show about a group of teens set in Northern Ireland at the tail end of The Troubles. More slapstick-y despite the setting, and maybe just as well written.

If you want to keep the excellent UK sitcom theme going check out Derry Girls, a show about a group of teens set in Northern Ireland at the tail end of The Troubles. More slapstick-y despite the setting, and maybe just as well written.
i added that awhile back but haven't had a chance to watch yet. We did watch an episode of "In the Thick of It" with Peter Capaldi from "Dr Who" recently. It shares the same DNA as "Veep" as it was produced by the same guy. It's in the same vein of "uncomfortable" and comedy of manners as the Gervais shows. I wanted to like it but I'm maybe too late to the series to enjoy it now.

after rattle and hum's rating thread, I started rewatching Babylon Berlin, primarily because he mentioned a S2 which I didn't remember watching (and he thought it went downhill at that point).

turns out I had watched both seasons as a binge, so lumped them together. a few into S2 and I still love it. don't remember any drop-off happening as things wrap up at the end.

Definitely do not recomment "The Investigator."  Wasted my time watching both seasons.  Both are 4 episodes of a British investigator diving deep into one mystery over the course of the season.  Essentially a 4 hour long Dateline, or something like that.  Highly disappointing.

Can't figure out the spoiler tag format, so I won't give it away.  Suffice it to say it is not worth the time investment.

ETA: i tried to review S2 without spoilering but, if any y'all think i should cover any of it, lemme know. Reader beware, i guess.

Finished S2 of Mindhunter and ended up quite disappointed after many promising moments. Lotta stretching & filling (apparently, 8 eps became 9 eps cuz Netflix wanted 10 eps like last season) and, ultimately, disruptive & gratuitous story arcs. Rarely have i seen a more poorly-conceived sub-plot than Tench's kid. 
That could have very easily been handled as it happening to a friend of Tench's family, where they ask Tench's advice.

The writers like the Tench storyline way more than I do.  Everything involved in that whole storyline keeps Tench from being Tench.  I want more Tench, not less.

That could have very easily been handled as it happening to a friend of Tench's family, where they ask Tench's advice.

The writers like the Tench storyline way more than I do.  Everything involved in that whole storyline keeps Tench from being Tench.  I want more Tench, not less.
It was set up just so they could have a parallel for tench between the cases he's studying and his real life. It was terribly forced and far too obvious.

Last edited by a moderator:
Getting a li'l tired of Netflix documentaries that would've been decent as 2hr flix but are stretched out to several episodes (and i jusplain don't see the % in doing so since it don't but hurt the network's bottom line)

The Family is the most recent of that vintage. Church v State becomes more & more important the less & less the altar is a fact of daily life and revealing the existence of an insidious inside-Washington Jesus power network is a good story but the 5-eps daudle on what they've uncovered without actually making the People vs The Fellowship case or indicting the actual influence peddled within. Is it Illuminati-type stuff, more Russian meddling, corruption hiding behind God, a Nazi network or just a lot of important people who like Jesus AND power? There are worse things to stream 5 eps on, but you won't get much of a handle on answers if you do.
Yeah for the vast majority of that documentary I was thinking it was more of an indictment of the worldview of the filmmaker that they considered the topic controversial enough to give the 5 episode treatment that they did.

Yeah for the vast majority of that documentary I was thinking it was more of an indictment of the worldview of the filmmaker that they considered the topic controversial enough to give the 5 episode treatment that they did.
Yeah, this was mostly the author of the book The Family was based upon trying to be the Woodstein of this phenomenon, but not being anywhere near the storyteller they were. The filmmaker's previous doc was an odd look at faith i'd seen on PBS (a NDak pastor opening his church to po'folk chasing the dream during the fracking boom) so i gave it a look and, now that i think of it, that was as muddy & wandery as this.

Having grown up where faith did a lot of struggling people a lot of good, i've been a lot more hands-off than i want to be on the subject. I know beyond any reasonable doubt that it is religion which has humanity as a species stuck in adolescent patterns which don't begin to keep up with our other processes, so i am anxious to have those who hide behind faith and exploit belief for power & profit indicted with ruinous dispatch. It's obvious to anyone that all the ingredients for that are within The Fellowship but, even with 5 hrs, these clowns didn't make the case.

Huge 👍 for Spy.  Sasha Baron Cohen is excellent - never seen him in a dramatic role like this but much like a Robin Williams talent he nails it.  First episode has me completely sucked in.

BTK was caught because he slipped up in his arrogance and sent a computer file with traceable info to the local PD. Seems like it would be a stretch to tie Holden and Bill’s work into that. 
He also asked them first if he could be traced from the computer disk, and the cops said no. Amazing.

Great, now he's going to tell us the entire plot. No need to watch anymore.
That’s on him.  I’d recommend Succession since it’s great and I’ve been binge watching that recently. However, it’s on HBO and I don’t want to piss off the Netflix only crowd.

Oh, and Succession involves the possible inheritance/takeover of an old dude’s business by his kids.  Now I’ve ruined it.

I’d recommend Succession since it’s great and I’ve been binge watching that recently. However, it’s on HBO and I don’t want to piss off the Netflix only crowd.
I just caught up on the first season. I guess I like it enough to keep going, but I keep waiting for it to turn into the great show everyone is talking about, and I just don’t see it. 

We wrapped up Carnival Row on Amazon.

It should be hitting all the right notes- cop thriller set in a fantastical world. Kept waiting, but something just didn't elevate for us. I think the writing wasn't great, and that didn't help the leads (including Chernobyl lead) do their jobs. Dunno..can't quite put my finger on it. Anybody else watch this?

The Wu Tang show on Hulu is pretty bad so far. I want to seem them making music and not hustling on the streets, stuff we've seen a million times before. The kid who plays rza is a good actor but none of them look close to their real life counterparts except the one who plays ol dirty.

We wrapped up Carnival Row on Amazon.

It should be hitting all the right notes- cop thriller set in a fantastical world. Kept waiting, but something just didn't elevate for us. I think the writing wasn't great, and that didn't help the leads (including Chernobyl lead) do their jobs. Dunno..can't quite put my finger on it. Anybody else watch this?
I wanted to like this but a few episodes in and I'm finding other things to watch instead. 

I wanted to like this but a few episodes in and I'm finding other things to watch instead. 
Yeah.  That's what I was getting at when I first posted about it.  I would keep watching but there wasn't this huge draw of "OMG, I can't wait for the next episode".  We are 4 episodes in and I feel the same way.  I fell asleep for parts of it and don't feel like I've missed anything.  I don't mind watching it, but....

It's a shame because the show had potential.  I love the scenery and the idea.  But the story line and the writing just don't do anything other than fill the screen.

Users who are viewing this thread