Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
KCC

Netflix "Watch Instantly" gems: FBGs recommended

Got through about 5 episodes of Mad Men. I'm not really feeling it, the excessive misogyny and smoking is a bit off putting. I've heard such good things, I think I'll power through the first season but unless there is a major turn around I'll likely stop there. :kicksrock:

Just now, Kraft... said:

Got through about 5 episodes of Mad Men. I'm not really feeling it, the excessive misogyny and smoking is a bit off putting. I've heard such good things, I think I'll power through the first season but unless there is a major turn around I'll likely stop there. :kicksrock:

The characters aren't just flawed, they're genuinely unlikable.  Vastly overrated show, if you actually want to enjoy what you watch.

• Like 1

:shrug:

To each their own.  I just finished season 5 of Mad Men and enjoy it.

2 hours ago, Kraft... said:

2 hours ago, facook said:

The characters aren't just flawed, they're genuinely unlikable.  Vastly overrated show, if you actually want to enjoy what you watch.

Interesting. I know @Kraft... thru leagues and he's sharp and am aware enough of @facook to know he's not a blitherer. Do either of you like hero movies of other times, worlds?

35 minutes ago, wikkidpissah said:

Interesting. I know @Kraft... thru leagues and he's sharp and am aware enough of @facook to know he's not a blitherer. Do either of you like hero movies of other times, worlds?

Definitely, yes, this one is just rubbing me the wrong way for some reason :shrug: 

2 hours ago, Kraft... said:

Part of the point of the show is to show what a different world it was back then. But they also let the woman characters develop and overcome the obstacles.

1 hour ago, saintfool said:

44 minutes ago, wikkidpissah said:

saintfool is correct, and that was the one aspect of the show that I DID enjoy.  I don't even mind unlikable characters if there is more of them to appreciate why they are the way they are and it makes sense (Tony S, Walter White, Saul, etc).  I supposed they tried that but ultimately what stood out to me was that they were all miserable, depressed, and difficult to root for.  The exceptions being Peggy and Sterling and Cooper but even the first two were more villain than hero to me.

I do wikkid.  Are you saying that is what MM is?  Or an anti-hero show of another time?

ETA: I'm probably coloring Peggy, Sterling, and Cooper too darkly due to my overall dislike of the show by the end.  In the moment, I did like those characters more than I'm allowing.  So I retract what I said - not EVERYONE was a miserable sob.  Just most of them.  :) 

Edited by facook

17 hours ago, Kraft... said:

Definitely, yes, this one is just rubbing me the wrong way for some reason :shrug: 

16 hours ago, facook said:

saintfool is correct, and that was the one aspect of the show that I DID enjoy.  I don't even mind unlikable characters if there is more of them to appreciate why they are the way they are and it makes sense (Tony S, Walter White, Saul, etc).  I supposed they tried that but ultimately what stood out to me was that they were all miserable, depressed, and difficult to root for.  The exceptions being Peggy and Sterling and Cooper but even the first two were more villain than hero to me.

I do wikkid.  Are you saying that is what MM is?  Or an anti-hero show of another time?

ETA: I'm probably coloring Peggy, Sterling, and Cooper too darkly due to my overall dislike of the show by the end.  In the moment, I did like those characters more than I'm allowing.  So I retract what I said - not EVERYONE was a miserable sob.  Just most of them.  :) 

Can't argue taste. Mad Men is my favorite show of all time, but i don't need anyone else to agree.

It's just that i don't understand why violent & noble heroes are so much more palpable to modern audiences than the guys who actually put us where we are. i'm likely old enough to be each of y'all's father. My granddad volunteered to fight in WWI just to get off the frikkin farm in northern VT for a coupla years, but he couldn't make his way afterward and had to come back to the hill we'd farmed for 200 years. My father estimates that clearing an acre of land for planting required removing 10 tons of rock and that the turning of the remaining soil caused the cold to force up another ton of rock each winter to be cleared the next spring. The average winter temperature was below zero and my dad slept w his 7 bros in two beds in the attic, two floors above any heat source. When i was a kid i could slide out the farmhouse attic window on a paper bag because the entire west side of the house was a snow drift. No electricity, plumbing, entertainment other than that they could generate themselves, bellies usually full but no relief from pain

For 90% of America, life was similar to that, maybe worse in another country, for the gen who raised me,  just as it had been for 1000s of years before. Then there was another war that required participation of every soul in the land to win, guys got to see & save the world. When they got home, if they survived, they decided they weren't going back to that ####, they were getting their due and that was that. The GI Bill gave educations to those folks, business saw that these guys could making something outta nothing and that there was a beautiful dollar in that and let em go at it.

And they made up their own world. There was an awful lot of bull#### to it, the money was short end (my father invented the growlight in '63, a product with sales of $2.3 billion last we checked, and Sylvania gave him $150 bucks and a plaque and laid him off two years later), nobody really knew what they were doing but, if they even pretended they didn't it would all come tumbling down, so they did until it was real. My father was screwed over by corporate again & again, was made age-redundant 5 years before retirement, got screwed out of most of his pension deal by the bankruptcy of his last company, so the person who generated more wealth than any of the 100,000 people of his surname who've ever lived in this country closed his professional career as a substitute-teacher in special ed classes. He's 94 years old now and can't even remember mattering. He often talks about his great missed opportunity - an army buddy became the head of elevator operators at Rockefeller Plaza and offered my dad a job before he went to school on the GIBill. This buddy said you could pitch ideas to the broadcasting execs who'd ride your elevator and a bunch of his buds got TV/radio jobs by doing so.

I don't even like my ol' man, never really have. But everything i am is based on what he did, just as most people who read this forum are based on at least one someone like him. But those stories never get told because they're boring & weird. Matt Weiner found a way to tell the stories of those guys, that gen - ad men, sales managers for products that hadn't been invented quite yet, elevator operators turned junior writers for the Shecky Montalban Show - and their hope & fears & problems & diversions. It is the most existential program in the history of television (except, perhaps, the Shecky Montalban Show) and you two better go STRAIGHT to your televisions and watch every last episode it or you're going to bed without dinner, y'hear me?!?!

Edited by wikkidpissah
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

The Boys is excellent.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, shuke said:

The Boys is excellent.

Best first season of a show in a good while. 

2 hours ago, wikkidpissah said:

Can't argue taste. Mad Men is my favorite show of all time, but i don't need anyone else to agree.

It's just that i don't understand why violent & noble heroes are so much more palpable to modern audiences than the guys who actually put us where we are. i'm likely old enough to be your father. My granddad volunteered to fight in WWI just to get off the frikkin farm in northern VT for a coupla years, but he couldn't make his way afterward and had to come back to the hill we'd farmed for 200 years. My father estimates that clearing an acre of land for planting required removing 10 tons of rock and that the turning of the remaining soil caused the cold to force up another ton of rock each winter to be cleared the next spring. The average winter temperature was below zero and my dad slept w his 7 bros in two beds in the attic, two floors above any heat source. When i was a kid i could slide out the farmhouse attic window on a paper bag because the entire west side of the house was a snow drift. No electricity, plumbing, entertainment other than that they could generate themselves, bellies usually full but no relief from pain

For 90% of America, life was similar to that, maybe worse in another country, for the gen who raised me,  just as it had been for 1000s of years before. Then there was another war that required participation of every soul in the land to win, guys got to see & save the world. When they got home, if they survived, they decided they weren't going back to that ####, they were getting their due and that was that. The GI Bill gave educations to those folks, business saw that these guys could making something outta nothing and that there was a beautiful dollar in that and let em go at it.

And they made up their own world. There was an awful lot of bull#### to it, the money was short end (my father invented the growlight in '63, a product with sales of $2.3 billion last we checked, and Sylvania gave him $150 bucks and a plaque and laid him off two years later), nobody really knew what they were doing but, if they even pretended they didn't it would all come tumbling down, so they did until it was real. My father was screwed over by corporate again & again, was made age-redundant 5 years before retirement, got screwed out of most of his pension deal by the bankruptcy of his last company, so the person who generated more wealth than any of the 100,000 people of his surname who've ever lived in this country closed his professional career as a substitute-teacher in special ed classes. He's 94 years old now and can't even remember mattering. He often talks about his great missed opportunity - an army buddy became the head of elevator operators at Rockefeller Plaza and offered my dad a job before he went to school on the GIBill. This buddy said you could pitch ideas to the broadcasting execs who'd ride your elevator and a bunch of his buds got TV/radio jobs by doing so.

I don't even like my ol' man, never really have. But everything i am is based on what he did, just as most people who read this forum are based on at least one someone like him. But those stories never get told because they're boring & weird. Matt Weiner found a way to tell the stories of those guys, that gen - ad men, sales managers for products that hadn't been invented quite yet, elevator operators turned junior writers for the Shecky Montalban Show - and their hope & fears & problems & diversions. It is the most existential program in the history of television (except, perhaps, the Shecky Montalban Show) and you two better go STRAIGHT to your televisions and watch every last episode it or you're going to bed without dinner, y'hear me?!?!

:deepbreath:

My dad was born 2nd of 9 in 1940, 8 survived.  Oldest brother of a bunch of itinerant pwt cotton pickers in CA, AZ, and AR.  My grandpa made my dad quit school in 8th grade to work in southern CA and AZ as a "crew leader" of family lawn mowers - while Grandpa disappeared during every job- for 3 years.  My Dad and the rest of his uneducated and invalid siblings cut the lawn and cleaned up afterwards.  Over and over.  My dad's ma, my Grandma Lucy, most religious of all of us, did her best to keep the home together.  

Last year, at age 78, at one of his sibling's funeral, while discussing their dad, my Aunt asked my Dad: "Franklin...you know why Dad was never around while we cut the lawn, right?"  Dad said no.  "He was always in bed with the lady of the house."  My Dad had a totally-movie moment of the whole world spinning around him, reliving his dad disappearing over and over, every time my dad led the crew, and always going into the ladies' homes.  In that moment, 50-something years after the fact, he realized his dad, my grandpa, was a serial philanderer.

At 17 my Dad moved to Oregon and finished high school at a small private high school, paying his own way while working at Safeway full time.   He graduated at 19.  He became a saw-filer at a lumber mill, and eventually started a small church as a pastor in the middle of nowhere Oregon, while driving school bus and delivering newspapers to make ends meet.  My Dad is the most sacrificial and merciful person I've ever known, even though sometimes he drives me crazy.  "everything i am is based on what he did, just as most people who read this forum are based on at least one someone like him. But those stories never get told because they're boring & weird. Matt Weiner found a way to tell the stories of those guys, that gen"  Everything I am is a result of my Dad, in some way.  Maybe this is why I hate that show.  Many people were hurt and experienced ####ty lives in that generation and still were good and decent people.  Maybe Weiner told the story of a few of them, the big-city of them, but the media and critics and historical-revisionists made it seem like it was the majority.  Maybe it wasn't.  Maybe those miserable, terrible people were the minority. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Unbelievable is a great new perspective for crime drama.

Not for the faint of heart of sexual assault disturbs you.

Edited by wazoo11

8 hours ago, wazoo11 said:

Undeniable is a great new perspective for crime drama. Not for the faint of heart of sexual assault disturbs you.

You mean Unbelievable?  I have watched 2 episodes of Unbelievable and it's quite good. Although they seem to want to portray all men as giant Richards.

Calling mad men vastly overrated is one of the worst posts in the history of this board. 

• Like 2
  • Love 2

1 minute ago, falguy said:

You mean Unbelievable?  I have watched 2 episodes of Unbelievable and it's quite good. Although they seem to want to portray all men as giant Richards.

We wrapped this up a couple days ago... And to your point, it's pretty consistent throughout. I know some of our fellow FFAers have very thin skins regarding that kind of stuff, so fair warning .

But it's a good show, and aside from that point, written crisply, consistently and well (even the "unbelievable" young woman who maintains an incredibly frustrating persona...frustrating, but felt true). And the actors throughout put in really good shifts. 8 eps, good pacing, good arc...good show. It had me thinking a bit about mindhunters, in a good way.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Capella said:

Calling mad men vastly overrated is one of the worst posts in the history of this board. 

It is definitely not a popular opinion.  I stand by it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, falguy said:

Yes I meant to say unbelievable. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Capella said:

Couldn't make it through the first episode. Super boring.

• Laughing 1

10 hours ago, facook said:

Everything I am is a result of my Dad, in some way.  Maybe this is why I hate that show.  Many people were hurt and experienced ####ty lives in that generation and still were good and decent people.  Maybe Weiner told the story of a few of them, the big-city of them, but the media and critics and historical-revisionists made it seem like it was the majority.  Maybe it wasn't.  Maybe those miserable, terrible people were the minority. 

Sounds like some broad shoulders you stand on.

The point i failed to make, apparently, is that the corporate culture upon which everything today is based was initially populated by guys with no legacy in that world. Farmboys, railroad & dock workers, grocery clerks & soda jerks became the first in their fam to go to school because of the GIBill and ended up toiling in highrises or suburban corporate plantations, filing reports, eating ####, swallowing their pride because there were mortgages, dues and community standards to keep up with now.

I said before that me Da was laid off two years after inventing the growlight for Sylvania. Fact is, the entire Research & Development department was closed because the guys had done their jobs too well, developed so many products (growlight, purple bug zapper  bulb, treatment lamps) that the company thought they could use the salaries of the guys who invented them toward product development & manufacture of the things they invented.

Thing is, me Da had just moved us out to the suburbs (me Ma was an urban immigrant and had preferred to stay close to fam until her husband "made" it) when they laid him off and simply couldn't afford to be redundant. He noticed that the company had just been sued by people who'd had bad skin reactions to some of the treatment lamps and that Sylvania had no safety & regulation protocols. So he sat at a typewriter and, with no business admin experience at all, designed a Product Safety Division for this major corporation (including, he claims, the first recall codes for shipping) in two weeks and submitted it in order to stay with the company and not have everything come crashing down on the homefront. Corporate approved it, rehired him, he ran the division for a while.

Soon as it became a thing, though, the BA sharks started circling it, licking their chops and carping to corporate that a science guy was running a department when there was all us lawyers & admins who could do it so much better. They made their case, but the big cheese couldnt cut my ol' man off at the knees again, so he let him keep the title, the office, but took ALL his duties away from him. So here's a guy who'd plowed fields, served his country, invented products and departments, (94yo now, he's still pissed if he can't get out in his apple orchard each fair day) all of a sudden a prisoner of his office, tapping his pencil all day to keep his ungrateful wife & kids in upgrades & Catholic School tuitions. Out of respect, i won't divulge his coping mechanisms & control dysfunctions from that.

Beyond the broad backs & bright minds, today's culture has as part of its foundation the guys who made their way out of irredeemable podunk towns, fetid slums to chase what dreams there were and ended up having to chow down on ####burgers & corpslaw from their companies in order to keep smiles on their families faces. And their story, the stuff upon which our present lives are based, as important as pilgrims or pioneers, didn't get told until the ultimate distillation of corporate life - guys selling naught but dreams to hard-working suckers - came along in Mad Men to put a dramtic & comedic face to those who had to choke back cheekful after cheekful of company flop and the ulcers that came with it. That's a hard story to tell and why i appreciate the so doing.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

New season of disenchantment hits Netflix this weekend 

think futurama meets medieval humor 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, wazoo11 said:

New season of disenchantment hits Netflix this weekend 

think futurama meets medieval humor 

Thank you! 

It's a fun show. Will be watching for sure

On 9/16/2019 at 6:24 AM, by_the_sea_wannabe said:

Worst show I have ever watched. I couldn't stop watching. What a train wreck.

On 9/15/2019 at 8:58 AM, El Floppo said:

I-land

Anybody? This seems really bad after the pilot, but I'm open if recommended.

Finished the other day. If you loved Lost until the end, you might enjoy I land.

I don't think I'm spoiling anything by saying the ending was surprising and disappointing.

have you brohans watched absentia it is on amazonian prime and it is pretty good so far but i am only three of them in i am watching it at home alone because my lady has a project she is working on that keeps her in the other room at night so it is sort of filing in for my lady take that to the bank bromigos

4 hours ago, El Floppo said:

We wrapped this up a couple days ago... And to your point, it's pretty consistent throughout. I know some of our fellow FFAers have very thin skins regarding that kind of stuff, so fair warning .

But it's a good show, and aside from that point, written crisply, consistently and well (even the "unbelievable" young woman who maintains an incredibly frustrating persona...frustrating, but felt true). And the actors throughout put in really good shifts. 8 eps, good pacing, good arc...good show. It had me thinking a bit about mindhunters, in a good way.

Looking forward to watching this one when I have time. A lot of the crimes occurred here in Denver and the surrounding suburbs/pocket communities. I remember reading all the articles and watching the news stories about it and without getting into spoilers its amazing how long it took the police to put the pieces together because of their inability to collaborate, their willful stubbornness or blindness to victims stories or failure to share information that I am sure the show will go into.

Edit: I know it's a fictionalized story based on the real events but the reviews have said they kept it very true to the real story/events.

Edited by Buckna
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Buckna said:

Looking forward to watching this one when I have time. A lot of the crimes occurred here in Denver and the surrounding suburbs/pocket communities. I remember reading all the articles and watching the news stories about it and without getting into spoilers its amazing how long it took the police to put the pieces together because of their inability to collaborate, their willful stubbornness or blindness to victims stories or failure to share information that I am sure the show will go into.

Edit: I know it's a fictionalized story based on the real events but the reviews have said they kept it very true to the real story/events.

You forgot about because of how stupid and icky men are.

I don't think this was tip top (I mentioned mindhunter, which hits higher highs imo) but it's definitely good and maintains a consistent quality across the season. The procedural part worked well and was interesting to me, which was helped by good writing and acting. As a local, I think you'll have even more to be interested in- the story was completely new to me.

If a fan of hip hop culture, I just finished “Travis Scott, Look Mom I Can Fly”.  Very well done IMO. 

7 hours ago, KarmaPolice said:

Finished S1 of Atypical.   I haven't fallen for a show this hard since After Life.  Love it.  

Wife and I both loved this show. I didn’t expect I would like it as much as I did.

17 hours ago, El Floppo said:

You forgot about because of how stupid and icky men are.

Yeah, that’s what I meant by blindness to victims without getting into too many details. What that Police department did to the first victim is beyond shameful and is really sad because it actually happened. Without having watched the show, they would have enough material to paint males into a very negative light based on what I remember from the news articles.

Edited by Buckna

27 minutes ago, Buckna said:

Yeah, that’s what I meant by blindness to victims without getting into too many details. What that Police department did to the first victim is beyond shameful and is really sad because it actually happened. Without having watched the show, they would have enough material to paint males into a very negative light based on what I remember from the news articles.

Trust me...they don't lose a chance to paint males badly. There are a couple well written men, but the general tenor isnt favorable. 

On 9/19/2019 at 3:34 PM, bryhamm said:

:shrug:

To each their own.  I just finished season 5 of Mad Men and enjoy it.

Top 5 show all time for me. Brilliantly written and acted.  

• Like 2

On 9/15/2019 at 9:09 AM, badmojo1006 said:
On 9/15/2019 at 12:52 AM, JB Breakfast Club said:

Undone. Prime. 

WOW. 

Agreed. I'm going to watch it again because it was so complex. Incredible, including the animation,  but incredibly deep.

Started this one night this week because of you guys- thanks!

Ended up binging (and finishing) almost the entire season last night...thanks?

Genuinely compelling show. I'm a fan of shows and movies that play with reality vs psychosis/other- and this does it really well. Yeah, trippy as hell with some great use of animation to further the story, and also really nicely written characters and relationships which could be argued to be the core of the story. Really liked this one and will likely watch again.

like badmojo, I kept thinking about Jacobs Ladder while watching this...but I hope it's not. Even still, by the end I got so wrapped up in the characters and story that Mojo's explanation of the light at the end didn't occur to me at all. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, JB Breakfast Club said:

The Between two Ferns movie was delightful 

Interviews are great, the movie around it, not so much.

1 hour ago, Good Posting Judge said:

Interviews are great, the movie around it, not so much.

Yes, overall disappointing.

ok so absentia was pretty good i finished season 1 on amozonian and i liked it i did not have my lady around tho so you are getting one mans opinion and no ladyness on it take that to the bank brochachos 

• Like 1

Started watching "Dark" the other week.

I can't deal with the English dubbing so have to do subtitles. I really like it, but man does it demand your full attention when watching.

7 hours ago, Worm said:

Started watching "Dark" the other week.

I can't deal with the English dubbing so have to do subtitles. I really like it, but man does it demand your full attention when watching.

I watched it dubbed...still good, but big mistake. Totally agree, especially with subtitles- you need to pay attention. 

Finished Undone.  Loved everything about it.  

• Like 1

Watched all of that Borat “The Spy” thing.

Meh.  Should have been about 3 episodes at most.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, That one guy said:

Watching The I-Land tonight and...oof, this is just bad

Watched one episode with the wife and was laughing at some of the ridiculous dialogue. Not going to bother with any more of it. And I’m pretty easy to entertain.

On 9/20/2019 at 6:11 AM, Capella said:

Absolutely.

Pretty much the greatest show ever.

• Thanks 3

11 hours ago, McJose said:

Watched all of that Borat “The Spy” thing.

Meh.  Should have been about 3 episodes at most.

tru dat

i'm the opposite of "let's get to the chases & shootouts" but i'm seeing more & more good television made clunky by inclusion of superfluous homelife angles. i thought they needed it for the risks to his cover, but they really didn't. more feminization?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, wikkidpissah said:

tru dat

i'm the opposite of "let's get to the chases & shootouts" but i'm seeing more & more good television made clunky by inclusion of superfluous homelife angles. i thought they needed it for the risks to his cover, but they really didn't. more feminization?

100% with you on the “homelife” stuff.  “Mindhunter” really bogged down this last season with some goofy crap about one of the detective’s kids.  Totally unnecessary.

In terms of “The Spy” I thought the whole relationship between Cohen’s boss and Cohen’s wife was forced and added nothing.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, McJose said:

Absolutely.

Pretty much the greatest show ever.

Legit work of art. 

• Like 1

On 8/31/2019 at 5:31 AM, identikit said:

One thing I really liked about S2 is that it was primarily just good old detective work that caught the bad guy:

--using river current patterns to diagnose where the killer likely dumped the some of the bodies

--the classic stakeouts

The new 'cutting edge' mode isn't full-proof on its own.

I read “Whoever Fights Monsters”  https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Ressler when it first came out. Fascinating read.

A few years later I stumbled across an article where a detective(?) was asked about Ressler’s crowing about the BSU and their methods.  The detective praised the work the FBI was doing but said that most of the cases Ressler used to illustrate how awesome the BSU’s “profiling” were actually solved by good, old-fashioned leg-work. 

• Like 1

On 9/19/2019 at 9:13 PM, wazoo11 said:

Unbelievable is a great new perspective for crime drama.

Not for the faint of heart of sexual assault disturbs you.

I liked this. It didn’t knock my socks off but I thought it was well done.  Some pretty great, understated acting.

And since we were just talking about shows that feel the need to shove “homelife” storylines do our throats...I really enjoyed how this show handled the dynamics between the detectives and their SOs.  No overwrought “your job is ruining this family!” BS.  

• Like 1