What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread) (8 Viewers)

Started watching Daybreak out of boredom and now can't quit watching. It's not good, the cast isn't good, the comedy isn't good, I can't stop watching.
We tried it out last night..it's fun and super light. I think perfect for our 12yo. Lots of pop cultural references (especially Matthew Broderick related) for the grown ups. It's cute...in a good way.

We tried it out last night..it's fun and super light. I think perfect for our 12yo. Lots of pop cultural references (especially Matthew Broderick related) for the grown ups. It's cute...in a good way.
Broderick is one of my favorite characters on the show. The kids I could take or leave but I think he makes it for me, of course I'm old as dirt. I could do without some of the language but I get it. I'd talk that way too, just don't think it's particularly appropriate for the younger crowd. Not sure who they are targeting as the audience with this show. I know it's not my age bracket but in my head I'm really about 22.

Broderick is one of my favorite characters on the show. The kids I could take or leave but I think he makes it for me, of course I'm old as dirt. I could do without some of the language but I get it. I'd talk that way too, just don't think it's particularly appropriate for the younger crowd. Not sure who they are targeting as the audience with this show. I know it's not my age bracket but in my head I'm really about 22.
Yeah, hard to say...but I think it's meant for families. Most of the humor's a bit sophomoric for grown ups, but too vulgar for little kids. I think the right tween or teen and their parents would enjoy it together.

Disney+ comes out on November 12th.  Really looking forward to it.  I hope it lives up to expectations.  I'm going to get the Disney/Hulu package.

We finished that Paul Rudd thing. Liked it well enough...didn't hit any big highs for me, but thought Rudd and the writing continuity was fantastic flipping between the two characters.

A bit too juvenile for my taste...but wasn't terrible.

Started BBC black comedy "Flowers" the other night. Olivia Colman, Oscar winner for "The Favourite" and upcoming season of "The Crown", is the headliner here. It's a quirky show with only 6 episodes in S1 but often very funny. 

Succession or billions?
Its not a close call for me.  Succession is very good. The characters are unrealistically over the top and they are put in ridiculous situations, but the show definitely has some finance/legal people advising the writers because the back story more or less makes real world sense. The acting is great.

I downloaded the entire first season of Billions on my ipad to take on vacation a couple months ago and only made it midway through the second episode before deleting the whole thing.  The entire plot is completely absurd, contrived nonsense.

Disney+ comes out on November 12th.  Really looking forward to it.  I hope it lives up to expectations.  I'm going to get the Disney/Hulu package.
From the ad I saw last night during the WS, it appears Disney+ has Star Wars - The Mandalorian.  If they do it right, that's the kind of show that will drive a huge number of subscriptions.  I'm paying about $45/mo for Hulu live and I have an HBO add-on for $15 and ESPN+ for $5.  I also pay for B/R Live for Champions League soccer and NBCSports for rugby.  We also have Netflix and Prime.  Its really no different than having a massive cable bill.

Wesley snipes in Dolemite is incredibly funny.  Him drinking and filming the car Kung fu scene had me rolling. 
I SERIOUSLY dont know why folks aint jumpin' in the aisles for Dolemite. The funniest man in the universe puts his whole heart & soul and still-estimable talents into bringing to life the exploits of his and his brother's childhood hero, nails it at every turn and everybody's all "the origin story was innerestin & Snipes was nice". THIS IS THE BEST TIME I'VE HAD IN FRONT OF A SMALL SCREEN AND THAT INCLUDES PRON!! It ain't mine to take really but i'll still have this black hero movie over 1000 phonyass Black Panthers. If QT had did this y'all'd still be scraping the thrillcrust off yourselves. What's WRONG with you people?!?! 

I SERIOUSLY dont know why folks aint jumpin' in the aisles for Dolemite. The funniest man in the universe puts his whole heart & soul and still-estimable talents into bringing to life the exploits of his and his brother's childhood hero, nails it at every turn and everybody's all "the origin story was innerestin & Snipes was nice". THIS IS THE BEST TIME I'VE HAD IN FRONT OF A SMALL SCREEN AND THAT INCLUDES PRON!! It ain't mine to take really but i'll still have this black hero movie over 1000 phonyass Black Panthers. If QT had did this y'all'd still be scraping the thrillcrust off yourselves. What's WRONG with you people?!?! 
Imma gonna check it out after I complete the Movie Club flix this wkend.

Just thinking on it reminds me of the Mad TV Dolemites - e.g. = Son of Dolemite Meets Blackbelt Jones

If it half as funny, it a win. And, I tend to follow your tastes in this kinhda thing - so ... looking fwd to it.

Watching it this weekend 

Not sure it's anything to do with the 2nd bolded.  For me- I've never seen the original Dolemite and couldn't remember the last Eddie Murphy vehicle I liked, so didn't know why I would want to watch Dolemite is My Name.  

Not sure it's anything to do with the 2nd bolded.  For me- I've never seen the original Dolemite and couldn't remember the last Eddie Murphy vehicle I liked, so didn't know why I would want to watch Dolemite is My Name.  
I don't think i seen Eddie Murphy in a movie since his bit part in Bowfinger, so it ain't that i'm a fan. His bad flix dont make him any less funny than it did Richard Pryor. I recently saw him talking about standup & a possible comeback on Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee and was surprised that he was as genuine & vulnerable as he was after decades of white folk backing trucks full of money up to his house and telling him his #### dont stink. Then i saw him talking about Dolemite on the Colbert show and i said to myself, "I bet the passing of Charlie Murphy had something to do with him reaching back like this". Then i saw it was written by Alexander & Karaszewski, who've written every good biopic of the last 30 yrs, including, Andy Kaufman, Larry Flynt and.........wait for it..........Ed Wood. So i checked it and found it as chock full of love as great soul food. The love of a brother, the love of being young w dreams, the love of dad-blamed idiots who say "no" to "no". I bet i watch it three times this week & i aint repeat-watched a movie right back since Dr Phibes on LSD.

And i still say if QT had did this it would have its own thread here, thrillscrapers.

Cut

I don't think i seen Eddie Murphy in a movie since his bit part in Bowfinger, so it ain't that i'm a fan. His bad flix dont make him any less funny than it did Richard Pryor.

i aint repeat-watched a movie right back since Dr Phibes on LSD.
This takes me back. I once repeat watched Another You while trippin' on DXM.  

I was convinced that Richard was speaking directly to me (as he was Another Me) - thus, I had to keep rewinding to get the details right.

Turns out, it wasn't me - it was Rich.

Lesson lernt!

From the ad I saw last night during the WS, it appears Disney+ has Star Wars - The Mandalorian.  If they do it right, that's the kind of show that will drive a huge number of subscriptions.  I'm paying about $45/mo for Hulu live and I have an HBO add-on for $15 and ESPN+ for $5.  I also pay for B/R Live for Champions League soccer and NBCSports for rugby.  We also have Netflix and Prime.  Its really no different than having a massive cable bill.
Yeah, they own Marvel, Pixar, Star Wars and other things, all of which really appeal to me.  I'm really looking forward to watching The Mandalorian too.  I totally agree - if done right it's exactly the kind of show that will make me a long time subscriber.  My bill is much lower than yours since I only have Netflix and the basic Hulu.  I might cancel Netflix once Disney comes out since I haven't been particularly happy with Netflix for a while now.

I promise to watch this in the coming days.  This will be the second movie I am watching because of you.  The first was The Grapes of Wraith.  (That was good but not great, in my opinion.)

Dolemite- The return of Eddie. Hearing Eddie curse is almost jarring since he hasn't done it in seemingly decades. Movie has a Ed Wood type of vibe to it. 

Bright- Will Smith sci-fi vehicle from a few years back. Had seen bits and pieces but finally saw the entire thing. Not awful but not great either. 

El Camino- Breaking Bad Coda starring Jessie Pinkman.  If your a fan of the series then give this a watch. The showdown in the welders shop is great.

Eli- Doctor tries to cure a sickly kid with dire results. Generally liked it. 

Fractured- Father takes his injured daughter to a hospital where everything is not what it seems. Lots of twists and turns in this psychological thriller.

The Sinner (season 2)- Bill Pullman carries this series. I liked season 1 and liked season 2 just as much...now waiting for season 3.

New season of Mars is up.

Started it last night- appears to be about the private development of the planet by self-serving corporations. While it's clearly in the immediate and actual cards, I didn't have the stomach for it. Will give it another shot when in in the mood

Its not a close call for me.  Succession is very good. The characters are unrealistically over the top and they are put in ridiculous situations, but the show definitely has some finance/legal people advising the writers because the back story more or less makes real world sense. The acting is great.

I downloaded the entire first season of Billions on my ipad to take on vacation a couple months ago and only made it midway through the second episode before deleting the whole thing.  The entire plot is completely absurd, contrived nonsense.
Both are goofy nonsense, IMO. I have a slight preference for the first couple of seasons of Billions but that’s admittedly a minority opinion around these parts. 

Both are goofy nonsense, IMO. I have a slight preference for the first couple of seasons of Billions but that’s admittedly a minority opinion around these parts. 
I didn't like either, tbh. But I give the edge to succession. Thought billions was similar to one of those hugely popular network shows with the president and consultants and goofiness.

S3 of atypical is out and fantastic (at least through ep3). JJLeigh might have had a little too much work done in the off-season...but otherwise, might be even better.sister is great- kinda reminds me of gilfoyle in silicone valley, but without the beard.

On episode 5 of Jack Ryan season one.  It's decent.

Homeland has had it's up and down but the production value is noticeably much higher than Jack Ryan.

The shining, finally got around to watching this film.

The bathtub scene, 😳 that was creepy as hell.

Still holds up like a great film.

Last edited by a moderator:
El Floppo said:
S3 of atypical is out and fantastic (at least through ep3). JJLeigh might have had a little too much work done in the off-season...but otherwise, might be even better.sister is great- kinda reminds me of gilfoyle in silicone valley, but without the beard.
Got through the first 3 as well, and I agree.  I was quite excited to see this came out - one of the better shows out there right now.   Agree on JJL as well.  

Got through the first 3 as well, and I agree.  I was quite excited to see this came out - one of the better shows out there right now.   Agree on JJL as well.  
Wife and I ended up watching the whole season last night. Really good show, S3 was as good as or better than the first two IMO.  Such a sweet, funny, touching show.

The people vs Larry Flynt

Woody and Ed Norton put on a great acting performance. 

Didn’t realize Courtney Love was in the movie until halfway through 

The people vs Larry Flynt

Woody and Ed Norton put on a great acting performance. 

Didn’t realize Courtney Love was in the movie until halfway through 
Milos Forman, iirc? I remember liking that one a lot. Wonder if it seemed dated, style/approach-wise?

Larry flynt played the judge...some other cameos in there too...

Movie night last night and we settled on "Young Sherlock Holmes". My boy likes Holmes because of the Guy Ritchie versions with Robert Downey Jr. This is from Spielberg in '85, as EP,  Chris Colmbus ("Home Alone") script, and Barry Levinson directing. It feels very much like a Spielberg flick with the obvious SS touches - script, music, pacing - and is more or less a rip off of "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom".  Not a really good flick either way with an instantly forgettable cast.

Users who are viewing this thread