What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread) (7 Viewers)

It's on Amazon (not Netflix), but season 3 of Marvelous Mrs. Maisel just dropped.
Oof, not a good start. 2 episodes in and really not good. Not funny, not interesting, feels really forced. 

I was a big fan of the first 2 seasons so this is a disappointment.

Not Netflix and probably goes into the D+ thread but.... "The Mandalorian" is pretty terrible 3 episodes in. It's like a SyFy channel program but worse somehow. My 9 yo son thinks it's fantastic, of course, but it's just too dumb and lazy for me to enjoy. It could be good fun like "Firefly" was or dramatic like "BSG" was in its first few years but it isn't aspiring to do anything interesting.
Maybe post that in the other thread so The Fanatic can be up someone else's ### besides mine for not loving a TV show?? ;)

Not Netflix and probably goes into the D+ thread but.... "The Mandalorian" is pretty terrible 3 episodes in. It's like a SyFy channel program but worse somehow. My 9 yo son thinks it's fantastic, of course, but it's just too dumb and lazy for me to enjoy. It could be good fun like "Firefly" was or dramatic like "BSG" was in its first few years but it isn't aspiring to do anything interesting.
Also, there is an interesting core there, but it always feels like whoever's behind a SW property is always more interested in marketing more toys than telling a quality story.  Maybe I am just too cynical, but that's mostly what I think when I see the cutesy thing that cant talk farting around and chasing frogs.  

Yeah, but has nothing to do with him. I didn't even notice him in the show yet, to be honest.

The story line is awful. The writing is awful. So far the delivery has been awful. We watched Shy Baldwin sing an entire song for some reason. 

I really didn't care for the very first episode because of the constant rapid fire dialogue. They got away from that quickly which let the story and the characters develop. It was used at times, but tastefully.

So far, the first 2 episodes have really overdone that as well and it's just painful to watch. I don't know, I don't remember being this disappointed in a show in a long time. I might give another episode a shot but begrudgingly unless I hear otherwise here.

Yeah, but has nothing to do with him. I didn't even notice him in the show yet, to be honest.

The story line is awful. The writing is awful. So far the delivery has been awful. We watched Shy Baldwin sing an entire song for some reason. 

I really didn't care for the very first episode because of the constant rapid fire dialogue. They got away from that quickly which let the story and the characters develop. It was used at times, but tastefully.

So far, the first 2 episodes have really overdone that as well and it's just painful to watch. I don't know, I don't remember being this disappointed in a show in a long time. I might give another episode a shot but begrudgingly unless I hear otherwise here.

Sad to see this. The wife and I loved the first two seasons. Here's hoping it gets better.

Also, there is an interesting core there, but it always feels like whoever's behind a SW property is always more interested in marketing more toys than telling a quality story.  Maybe I am just too cynical, but that's mostly what I think when I see the cutesy thing that cant talk farting around and chasing frogs.  
After the initial reboot from a few years ago, I mostly stopped caring about SW and the films. There are ideas but they're never really fully formed. I will say that "Rogue One" was my favorite SW film in close to 40 years. I was hoping this series would kind of follow their lead instead of "Solo", which was dreadful. 

I have questioned why they decided to focus their first streaming venture on a property that features essentially a faceless main character.  I’m being careful not make any final judgements until S1 is complete...but ultimately I’m finding that while I’m enjoying watching it, it also feels entirely disposable and since this is the first time I’m consuming SW in a week-to-week format, I’m also realizing I’m forgetting what happened the previous week, which hurts the storytelling.

Oof, not a good start. 2 episodes in and really not good. Not funny, not interesting, feels really forced. 

I was a big fan of the first 2 seasons so this is a disappointment.
Still a fan.  I also did the first two episodes.  I thought the opening single shot to begin the season was exceptionally done.  Abe & Rose are still gold, but the Joel storyline does feel contrived so far.

Can see where you’re coming from though.

In other news, I am enjoying the "Ducktales" reboot on D+. It's not quite as clever as "Gravity Falls" but it's still very similar. My boy is getting a big kick out of it so far.

Watch the Irishman over a couple viewings.

It was ok. Felt like it lacked a little intensity and to be honest I didn't think it was that clear of a story. Felt like a lot of little details were confusing. It could just be me

i think it's a fine series. it's a lovely depiction of English village life with its small injustices, comeuppances, and quirky characters. gentle almost comfortable comedy that knows nothing of malice.
Blew through this (The Detectorists) in like 3 days. The subtle Simon and Garfunkel musical queues were hilarious. The theme song was perhaps a little overused, but then I binged it all pretty quickly, so it was going to be heard a lot anyway.

Definitely left wanting more, but I thought it wrapped up nicely.

For some reason I couldn’t find it on Netflix, and had to watch it through Cinema, which was missing the Christmas special from season 2- found that online though and watched on a iPad. 

Marvelous Mrs. Maisel Season 3 through ep 4.

Liking it so far.

Not surprised Midge and Joel got remarried. It was more of a lust thing then love. They will divorce, but I am guessing it will be a hard breakup

I did love the nod to American Graffiti. Yellow Deuce Coupe vs. The Black Chevy

Anybody else give V War a shot?
Through 3 episodes and I'm liking it a lot.  Real good production quality, interesting story, and the writing ain't horrible, particular for this subject matter.

A little light on the lifetime angle but I'm letting that slide for now. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Marriage Story (ScarJo & Adam Driver) is immensely well written and performed. Dont watch it - it's excruciating
I like Noah B's work immensely. He's a terrific writer and has a knack for character and scene. He's a funnier version of Todd Solondz, imo. 

The rapid fire dialogue is pretty constant throughout the first two seasons,

Thought season 3 was on par with the others.  Lot of good.  Lot of bad.  The production value is pretty off the charts this season.  

I know there was a Blacklist thread somewhere but i'ts old news so I'm just going to post this here.  I enjoyed the first couple of seasons immensely, then there were a sketchy seasons in the middle but I've stayed with it, mostly due to Spader.  Just finished Season 6 and really enjoyed it.  The main story line between Keen and Red was interesting, as always, but I also enjoyed the Aram/Samar story and felt the entire season was much better than the previous 2 or 3. I actually think it may be my favorite season in the entire series.  Just me? Anyone else still watching? Season 7 is on the go on Prime but only about half way through so I'll hold off before starting S7.

I know there was a Blacklist thread somewhere but i'ts old news so I'm just going to post this here.  I enjoyed the first couple of seasons immensely, then there were a sketchy seasons in the middle but I've stayed with it, mostly due to Spader.  Just finished Season 6 and really enjoyed it.  The main story line between Keen and Red was interesting, as always, but I also enjoyed the Aram/Samar story and felt the entire season was much better than the previous 2 or 3. I actually think it may be my favorite season in the entire series.  Just me? Anyone else still watching? Season 7 is on the go on Prime but only about half way through so I'll hold off before starting S7.
We were into it big time the first two seasons but lost interest in season 3 or 4 and to be honest, I had no idea it was still on. Is it on NBC still or just the streaming option you mentioned? Wife and I are looking for something to binge, so maybe we will start over? 

We were into it big time the first two seasons but lost interest in season 3 or 4 and to be honest, I had no idea it was still on. Is it on NBC still or just the streaming option you mentioned? Wife and I are looking for something to binge, so maybe we will start over? 
S1 to s6 are on Netflix.  S7 is on NBC right now I believe but i also see it on prime. 8 or 9 episodes.

This is in Canada.  Not sure if it's different down there. 

Ya, S3 and 4 were rough. 5 was good enough that I wanted to watch 6 and I'm glad I did. It's not award winning but I was entertained.  

Shot Caller

I admit that I had zero expectations for this movie and was prepared to shut it off quickly, but I enjoyed it. Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (Game of Thrones) stars as a family man that makes a big mistake, ends up in prison, and ends up joining a gang in prison. Not going to spoil much, but I recommend the movie. Nothing groundbreaking, but Waldau is very good here - and he got super ripped for the role. Worth a watch.

Blew through this (The Detectorists) in like 3 days. The subtle Simon and Garfunkel musical queues were hilarious. The theme song was perhaps a little overused, but then I binged it all pretty quickly, so it was going to be heard a lot anyway.

Definitely left wanting more, but I thought it wrapped up nicely.

For some reason I couldn’t find it on Netflix, and had to watch it through Cinema, which was missing the Christmas special from season 2- found that online though and watched on a iPad. 
 I appreciate this line of posting (adding the show title when it's been dropped by multiple quotes.)  Very helpful

Sigh. We've reached a point where whatever anyone suggests, the wife gives it a few episodes and then punts. This has included the likes of Black Mirror, Sopranos, GoT, Altered Carbon, Umbrella Academy, Jericho, The Expanse, Passengers, Lost In Space, Stranger Things, Mindhunter, and others that don't come to mind quickly. Even shows she asked to watch we don't seem to get all the way through (Orphan Black, Prison Break, Castle Rock as examples).

The ones we were able to get through were Breaking Bad, Handmaid's Tale, Ozark, The Path, Orange Is The New Black, Haunting of Hill House, Dark, The Rain, Dexter, Mad About You, and Big Bang Theory.

I don't know if people have suggestions based on all of that. We have Netflix, Hulu, Prime, and Comcast On Demand . . . so we should be able to find something to watch. Of course, most of those I would keep watching but essentially can't. (You know . . . watch it on your own time which translates to never.)

Sigh. We've reached a point where whatever anyone suggests, the wife gives it a few episodes and then punts. This has included the likes of Black Mirror, Sopranos, GoT, Altered Carbon, Umbrella Academy, Jericho, The Expanse, Passengers, Lost In Space, Stranger Things, Mindhunter, and others that don't come to mind quickly. Even shows she asked to watch we don't seem to get all the way through (Orphan Black, Prison Break, Castle Rock as examples).

The ones we were able to get through were Breaking Bad, Handmaid's Tale, Ozark, The Path, Orange Is The New Black, Haunting of Hill House, Dark, The Rain, Dexter, Mad About You, and Big Bang Theory.

I don't know if people have suggestions based on all of that. We have Netflix, Hulu, Prime, and Comcast On Demand . . . so we should be able to find something to watch. Of course, most of those I would keep watching but essentially can't. (You know . . . watch it on your own time which translates to never.)
You need more lady friendly fare.  Dead to me, Love, Easy, Modern Love, Catastrophe, Atypical, Killing Eve, Battlestar Gallactica, etc.  

I saw a couple reviews here about this show that weren't good. 

We started this a couple days ago and I think it is utterly fantastic.  Cohen is ridiculously good in this and I love the writing and pacing of the show.  Fascinating show, 3 episodes in, can't wait to finish the last 3.  The end of episode 3, in particular, is depressing and hit harder than I would have expected. 
Finished The Spy a few days ago.  One of the best shows I've ever seen.  Fascinating story, great acting and filming, and just totally engrossing.  It's almost hard to describe how good it is but this is an absolute must watch, IMO. 

Also, just started Criminal:  UK Season 1

First episode was quite good.  I'm interested to see how this continues.  David Tennant from Broadchurch is in it and I like the direction it's going.  Will update further as we get into it more.  Apparently it'll be 12 unique crime stores in 4 different countries.

Trailer for Criminal.

Spartacus? 

You got through The Rain?? 

Finished The Spy a few days ago.  One of the best shows I've ever seen.  Fascinating story, great acting and filming, and just totally engrossing.  It's almost hard to describe how good it is but this is an absolute must watch, IMO. 
Wow, watching this tonight...thanks for the reco fellas.

Through ep. 6 of Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. Very Good so far.

Never been a fan of Jason Alexander,  but that was a very good performance as Abe's old friend.

Come on,  everybody saw Shy was gay, except Midge

Another Amazon Prime entry:  The Feed

Set in the future, a neuro inserted social media app that essentially runs everything is hacked and fall of civilization seems to begin.  Every time it seemed like the story was about to break open and really get interested, it would return to some side story, get distracted, and lose momentum. It’s only one 10 episode season, so not much time investment needed, but meh in the end

Six feet under.  The Affair.  Ray Donovan.  Parenthood.  Miss Maisel.  Homeland.  The Good Wife.

Last edited by a moderator:
peaces said:
For true crime fans, The Confession Killer. 5 part docu on Henry Lee Lucas
:thumbup:   I thought this was very interesting.

I think Henry was probably a bad/mentally unstable dude that killed a few people, but a whole lot of law enforcement agencies were using him to clear cold cases off of their books.  He would confess to anything if you gave him a little info.  Even a case that was completely made up.

No one would have known if the task force would have shut him down after he confessed to 10-15, but they let it snowball to 200?  I think he even claims something like 360 at one point.  The Scotty Scott case in Little Rock was really troubling.

Finishing S1 of "The Terror" on Hulu. It's some really nice acting alongside some fine writing. Jared Harris reminds me more and more of his father as an actor. Weird to think of him as Dracula in "Nadja" way back in the day. The guy who plays Hickey is just superb as the drama's Iago.

Peaky Blinders, Taboo, Mr. Mercedes, The Wire, What We Do In The Shadows, Portlandia, Documentary Now

Users who are viewing this thread