What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread) (9 Viewers)

Well, alrighty then. Geez, so sue me, I enjoyed a movie that was very dark. Here's why.

I thought Funny Games was from a cinematic perspective excellent and well produced. It was so life-like, that is scared the s*** out of me watching it, submersing me into the lives of the victims and making me think constantly during the movie as things happened to them. I can't remember the last time a Hollywood movie got me mentally involved in the characters like Funny Games did. Whether or not you think that is scary (it is), it is excellent story telling and entertainment, which was what I took away from the American version of Funny Games. In this day and age of mindless crap from Hollywood, a movie that has you walking away going Holy S*** is great value.

You didn't enjoy the experience and I did, OK I get that. Funny Games will affect different people different ways, and from watching it I'd expect it to really affect some people watching it negatively. I enjoy really dark movies, a la Requiem for a Dream, Kids, etc. I think Funny Games is one of those movies where everyone should see it, experience it, and draw their own conclusions after watching it.

The movie is not a "don't watch," it is a "watch because it was excellently done and a high quality cinematic experience, and be prepared for a really, really dark experience before you go ahead and hit the 'Play' button."
After searching through years of posts, finding the general time frame that I made the post, and then reconstructing it due to links not working anymore, I present to you the reasons why I hated that film:
Where to begin? I don't think a film has made me this angry since Jurassic Park III (nothing else was on).

1) You know how when you watch a horror or suspense movie, and the victim's do something really stupid, and it drives you crazy? Well, multiply that by a million, and you have my reaction watching this movie.

2) Okay. First off, let me say that I don't pretend to be the average FBG that can bench press 500 lbs. I'm not a big guy. I have lean muscle. Kinda like Brad Pitt in Fight Club, but nowhere near that cut. Anyway, if I was ever home invaded by two guys, and one looked like Mr. T and the other looked like Lou Ferrigno, I'd be helpless. There'd be nothing I could do. But if two 15-17 year olds came and home invaded me, bringing no weapon at all, that home invasion would last about 2 minutes.

3) If two 15-17 year olds show up and start acting strangely, one of my first questions would be "Why are you both wearing gloves?" Granted, the next victim couple asks one halfway through the movie, and the kid said he had ecsema, but still, nobody questioned that at the beginning in the Naomi Watts - Tim Roth household? Seriously?

4) In several threads I have discussed my love for my dog. Now, if my dog has been barking continuously at these kids, and one of those kids goes outside with a golf club, and suddenly my dog yelps in pain, I'm hauling ### to find out why. I'm not waiting 20 minutes once things get weird, and suddenly saying "Hey, where's the dog?" I would have taken care of that little problem real quick. </div>

<center>*** SPOILER ALERT! Click this link to display the potential spoiler text in this box. ***</center></div>");document.close();</script>

<script type="text/javascript">mytagid = Math.floor( Math.random() * 100 );document.write("<div style='padding:4px;border:1px solid black;background-color:#FFC9A5;layer-background-color:#FFC9A5;'><div id='"+mytagid+"_closed' style='display:none'>5) Here's part one of the problem I have with Tim Roth's reaction in the movie. Now, after my wife has gotten upset, and ordered these kids to leave (which they aren't doing), the leader kid leans in to Tim Roth and says "You better watch to make sure we don't break YOUR eggs, old man." Tim Roth responds by slapping the kid. My reaction would have been "Okay. Take a swing. Give me a reason." And then after the youth threw his little punch, it would have been over from there.

6) Part II: Okay. Granted. He took a driver to the knee. We don't see the wound, but it's bleeding through his pants. So, I'm figuring a shattered kneecap, or something. Yes. That's serious. That limits the mobility a little bit. But after that, he just gives up for the rest of the movie. No effort whatsoever. It would have taken 5 or 10 minutes for the shock and pain to ease a little bit, and then I'm attempting some sort of bum rush move to protect my family. I mean, Damn!!!! Just turn into a pile of jelly for the rest of the movie?

7) So, they have an electric gate out front. Looks 6 to 7 feet tall. The little kid gets away. Oh, he's not in any hurry or anything. But he goes to climb the gate. Gets to the top and...........................climbs back down. What? Was there an unseen pool of piranha down there that we don't see? How hard is it to swing your leg over? Oh my God I'm really starting to hate this movie at this point.

8) The kid leisurely goes over to the next house, which everyone should have figured out that they had already killed these people, since that's where they came from. But he just strolls around, trying to hide. Not really very hard, either.

9) They kill the kid, and supposedly leave. Naomi Watts gets free, and they're trying to figure out how to get help. They spend a good 10 minutes trying to fix her phone the one kid dropped in the water. She says "Where's your phone?" "It's in the car." Is there a wall of flame surrounding the car at this point? How difficult is it to go out to the car? I mean, your leg is busted, and the magic key to the front door has mysteriously vanished, but your wife went out the window. She can't check it out?</div>

<center>*** SPOILER ALERT! Click this link to display the potential spoiler text in this box. ***</center></div>");document.close();</script>

<script type="text/javascript">mytagid = Math.floor( Math.random() * 100 );document.write("<div style='padding:4px;border:1px solid black;background-color:#FFC9A5;layer-background-color:#FFC9A5;'><div id='"+mytagid+"_closed' style='display:none'>10) Now, on 99% of the doors that we have in our homes, there's a lock that you turn on the inside of the door, right? Maybe somewhere somebody has a door that you have to lock with a key. But, doesn't that mean that Tim Roth should have those keys? How, in the course of a couple of hours, did the kids get those keys, (in a scene we obviously don't see) and lock them inside, unable to open the door. And the same with the electric gate? Can't open it. Oh, these kids are geniuses.

11) So, Naomi Watts goes out onto a lit street. It's obvious that there are other houses there. But, she only goes to one. And then, they pick her up and bring her back.

12) In probably the worst scene that I have ever seen in a film, Naomi Watts grabs the gun and shoots one of the kids. The other kid says "Where's that remote?" and tears all the cushions off the couch. He presses back, like on a Tivo remote, and the whole movie goes back in reverse to the start of that scene. This time when Naomi Watts goes for the gun, the kid grabs it. Are you ####### kidding me? Horrible. I like trippy and clever #### in movies, but this was just ridiculous. Not to mention the constant look into the camera saying things like "What do you think? Think they'll live?" Why do I care?

13) After killing both the son and the husband, they take Naomi Watts out on the boat. She's all tied up, but can still move her body. We see a shot earlier in the movie (right when the dog gets whacked) of a knife that Tim Roth had sliding into the bottom of the boat, so we know it's there. So, of course, everyone figures she'll get the knife and kill them for the big happy Hollywood ending (which I detest, but I'm just saying that's what we're conditioned to expect. And I know that that's one of the filmmaker's intentions, but it still doesn't make this suckfest good.) Anywho, she grabs the knife and starts trying to cut her ropes. Very obviously. While they're looking at her. So, they grab the knife and throw it in the water. Then, they pick her up and sit her in between them. The leader has just said that the other can't swim. Once again I realize we're supposed to expect her to knock him in, but come on! How hard is that, really? Just a quick bump with your weight to your left, and the kid goes overboard. Nope. They continue they're conversation, and then knock her in the water, obviously killing her. We don't know that, as we never see her again, but that's supposed to be daring filmmaking, I guess.

Anyways, like I said, I can't remember a time that a movie has angered me so much that I just wasted the time that I spent to view it. Do yourself a favor. DON'T watch this movie. :wall:
Dude, you might want to make that whole quote a spoiler. For those that haven't seen the movie, you have just ruined it.You say "ruined", I say "saved time".

I'll throw out there Surviving the Game, which is on Netflix streaming, excellent B movie thriller with a surprisingly good cast and entertaining premise.
AlwayS check the barrel /icet :gang1:
Just got done with Hobo With a Shotgun. Interesting movie. Of course I'm going all in with Surviving the Game. I'm on vacation from work for 3 weeks, I feel like I'm going to jump down the Netflix rabbit hole alot. "For twenty dollars I'll run to f****** Alaska!"

I'll throw out there Surviving the Game, which is on Netflix streaming, excellent B movie thriller with a surprisingly good cast and entertaining premise.
Busey telling Prince Henry Stout story is one of the greatest scenes ever filmed.
:lmao: Truth. Dr. Hawkins was awesome in this movie. You saying greatest scenes ever filmed, I looked to see if True Romance with Dennis Hopper, Christopher Walken, and Christian Slater was on, but unfortunately it's DVD only. The "Sicilians" scene is truly amazing, the dialogue between Hopper and Walken is just so well done it seems to get better every time I see it.

Delving into Party Down for the second time. Didn't love it the first time around (got through a few episodes), but I'm finding it pretty darn hilarious this time around.
I've only seen it once, but I still highly recommend this show.

Busey telling Prince Henry Stout story is one of the greatest scenes ever filmed.
:lmao: Truth. Dr. Hawkins was awesome in this movie. You saying greatest scenes ever filmed, I looked to see if True Romance with Dennis Hopper, Christopher Walken, and Christian Slater was on, but unfortunately it's DVD only. The "Sicilians" scene is truly amazing, the dialogue between Hopper and Walken is just so well done it seems to get better every time I see it.
Surviving the Game Easter Egg time! (Going to try to minimize spoilers as much as possible)At the end, they show a shot of a city skyline, and it reads, "Seattle Three Days Later." I was born and raised in Philadelphia, went to school there, and worked in Center City after school. Strike me dead now if that skyline shot of "Seattle" wasn't Philadelphia. I mean come on, really production team? I know this is semi-low budget, but we have to do better than that.

Surviving the Game Easter Egg time! (Going to try to minimize spoilers as much as possible)At the end, they show a shot of a city skyline, and it reads, "Seattle Three Days Later." I was born and raised in Philadelphia, went to school there, and worked in Center City after school. Strike me dead now if that skyline shot of "Seattle" wasn't Philadelphia. I mean come on, really production team? I know this is semi-low budget, but we have to do better than that.
I hope this doesn't break your brain, but NYC in movies is usually Toronto.

Brain not broken, I honestly did not know that. Thanks for the heads up, man.

Not sure if it has been mentioned but "Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations" is up. I think it has all 7 seasons...great show.

TrollHunter. Surpisingly good when you think the movie is about hunting Trolls.

Last edited by a moderator:
IIRC netflix is losing the Starz contract soon (February of 2012?) so we will be losing even more titles very soon. The list of upcoming movies/shows is very short in comparison and very low quality. It looks like we will be taking a big step backwards in the quantity and quality of titles available on netflix instant over the next couple of months.

IIRC netflix is losing the Starz contract soon (February of 2012?) so we will be losing even more titles very soon. The list of upcoming movies/shows is very short in comparison and very low quality. It looks like we will be taking a big step backwards in the quantity and quality of titles available on netflix instant over the next couple of months.
They've worked harder to keep the "upcoming" stuff under wraps. Instantwatcher only pegs 10%, if that, of the upcoming content.

They've worked harder to keep the "upcoming" stuff under wraps. Instantwatcher only pegs 10%, if that, of the upcoming content.
Without Instantwatcher I would never know what is playing because Netflix does a poor job IMO of telling you what is upcoming or just been released.

Without Instantwatcher I would never know what is playing because Netflix does a poor job IMO of telling you what is upcoming or just been released.
I agree about whats playing now, but instant watcher stopped being accurate for upcoming stuff about 6 months ago. Like I said maybe 10% of the upcoming stuff actually gets posted there. They do catch everything as it is released though.

You are making Netflix sound terrible.

Tons of stuff on that list for Jan 1st but dang, most of the James Bond films are going away on Jan 8th too. :(

Well, alrighty then. Geez, so sue me, I enjoyed a movie that was very dark. Here's why.

I thought Funny Games was from a cinematic perspective excellent and well produced. It was so life-like, that is scared the s*** out of me watching it, submersing me into the lives of the victims and making me think constantly during the movie as things happened to them. I can't remember the last time a Hollywood movie got me mentally involved in the characters like Funny Games did. Whether or not you think that is scary (it is), it is excellent story telling and entertainment, which was what I took away from the American version of Funny Games. In this day and age of mindless crap from Hollywood, a movie that has you walking away going Holy S*** is great value.

You didn't enjoy the experience and I did, OK I get that. Funny Games will affect different people different ways, and from watching it I'd expect it to really affect some people watching it negatively. I enjoy really dark movies, a la Requiem for a Dream, Kids, etc. I think Funny Games is one of those movies where everyone should see it, experience it, and draw their own conclusions after watching it.

The movie is not a "don't watch," it is a "watch because it was excellently done and a high quality cinematic experience, and be prepared for a really, really dark experience before you go ahead and hit the 'Play' button."
After searching through years of posts, finding the general time frame that I made the post, and then reconstructing it due to links not working anymore, I present to you the reasons why I hated that film:
Where to begin? I don't think a film has made me this angry since Jurassic Park III (nothing else was on).

1) You know how when you watch a horror or suspense movie, and the victim's do something really stupid, and it drives you crazy? Well, multiply that by a million, and you have my reaction watching this movie.

2) Okay. First off, let me say that I don't pretend to be the average FBG that can bench press 500 lbs. I'm not a big guy. I have lean muscle. Kinda like Brad Pitt in Fight Club, but nowhere near that cut. Anyway, if I was ever home invaded by two guys, and one looked like Mr. T and the other looked like Lou Ferrigno, I'd be helpless. There'd be nothing I could do. But if two 15-17 year olds came and home invaded me, bringing no weapon at all, that home invasion would last about 2 minutes.

3) If two 15-17 year olds show up and start acting strangely, one of my first questions would be "Why are you both wearing gloves?" Granted, the next victim couple asks one halfway through the movie, and the kid said he had ecsema, but still, nobody questioned that at the beginning in the Naomi Watts - Tim Roth household? Seriously?

4) In several threads I have discussed my love for my dog. Now, if my dog has been barking continuously at these kids, and one of those kids goes outside with a golf club, and suddenly my dog yelps in pain, I'm hauling ### to find out why. I'm not waiting 20 minutes once things get weird, and suddenly saying "Hey, where's the dog?" I would have taken care of that little problem real quick. </div>

<script type="text/javascript">mytagid = Math.floor( Math.random() * 100 );document.write("<div style='padding:4px;border:1px solid black;background-color:#FFC9A5;layer-background-color:#FFC9A5;'><div id='"+mytagid+"_closed' style='display:none'>5) Here's part one of the problem I have with Tim Roth's reaction in the movie. Now, after my wife has gotten upset, and ordered these kids to leave (which they aren't doing), the leader kid leans in to Tim Roth and says "You better watch to make sure we don't break YOUR eggs, old man." Tim Roth responds by slapping the kid. My reaction would have been "Okay. Take a swing. Give me a reason." And then after the youth threw his little punch, it would have been over from there.

6) Part II: Okay. Granted. He took a driver to the knee. We don't see the wound, but it's bleeding through his pants. So, I'm figuring a shattered kneecap, or something. Yes. That's serious. That limits the mobility a little bit. But after that, he just gives up for the rest of the movie. No effort whatsoever. It would have taken 5 or 10 minutes for the shock and pain to ease a little bit, and then I'm attempting some sort of bum rush move to protect my family. I mean, Damn!!!! Just turn into a pile of jelly for the rest of the movie?

7) So, they have an electric gate out front. Looks 6 to 7 feet tall. The little kid gets away. Oh, he's not in any hurry or anything. But he goes to climb the gate. Gets to the top and...........................climbs back down. What? Was there an unseen pool of piranha down there that we don't see? How hard is it to swing your leg over? Oh my God I'm really starting to hate this movie at this point.

8) The kid leisurely goes over to the next house, which everyone should have figured out that they had already killed these people, since that's where they came from. But he just strolls around, trying to hide. Not really very hard, either.

9) They kill the kid, and supposedly leave. Naomi Watts gets free, and they're trying to figure out how to get help. They spend a good 10 minutes trying to fix her phone the one kid dropped in the water. She says "Where's your phone?" "It's in the car." Is there a wall of flame surrounding the car at this point? How difficult is it to go out to the car? I mean, your leg is busted, and the magic key to the front door has mysteriously vanished, but your wife went out the window. She can't check it out?</div>

<script type="text/javascript">mytagid = Math.floor( Math.random() * 100 );document.write("<div style='padding:4px;border:1px solid black;background-color:#FFC9A5;layer-background-color:#FFC9A5;'><div id='"+mytagid+"_closed' style='display:none'>10) Now, on 99% of the doors that we have in our homes, there's a lock that you turn on the inside of the door, right? Maybe somewhere somebody has a door that you have to lock with a key. But, doesn't that mean that Tim Roth should have those keys? How, in the course of a couple of hours, did the kids get those keys, (in a scene we obviously don't see) and lock them inside, unable to open the door. And the same with the electric gate? Can't open it. Oh, these kids are geniuses.

11) So, Naomi Watts goes out onto a lit street. It's obvious that there are other houses there. But, she only goes to one. And then, they pick her up and bring her back.

12) In probably the worst scene that I have ever seen in a film, Naomi Watts grabs the gun and shoots one of the kids. The other kid says "Where's that remote?" and tears all the cushions off the couch. He presses back, like on a Tivo remote, and the whole movie goes back in reverse to the start of that scene. This time when Naomi Watts goes for the gun, the kid grabs it. Are you ####### kidding me? Horrible. I like trippy and clever #### in movies, but this was just ridiculous. Not to mention the constant look into the camera saying things like "What do you think? Think they'll live?" Why do I care?

13) After killing both the son and the husband, they take Naomi Watts out on the boat. She's all tied up, but can still move her body. We see a shot earlier in the movie (right when the dog gets whacked) of a knife that Tim Roth had sliding into the bottom of the boat, so we know it's there. So, of course, everyone figures she'll get the knife and kill them for the big happy Hollywood ending (which I detest, but I'm just saying that's what we're conditioned to expect. And I know that that's one of the filmmaker's intentions, but it still doesn't make this suckfest good.) Anywho, she grabs the knife and starts trying to cut her ropes. Very obviously. While they're looking at her. So, they grab the knife and throw it in the water. Then, they pick her up and sit her in between them. The leader has just said that the other can't swim. Once again I realize we're supposed to expect her to knock him in, but come on! How hard is that, really? Just a quick bump with your weight to your left, and the kid goes overboard. Nope. They continue they're conversation, and then knock her in the water, obviously killing her. We don't know that, as we never see her again, but that's supposed to be daring filmmaking, I guess.

Anyways, like I said, I can't remember a time that a movie has angered me so much that I just wasted the time that I spent to view it. Do yourself a favor. DON'T watch this movie. :wall:
I feel like I really need to see this now. I have to know who is right here.

Pulling John

Documentary about an arm wrestler who went undefeated for 25 years. Awesome on every level. Like watching a real life Rocky. His Russian competitor is an absolute beast.

5/5

MUST SEE!
Saw this not too long ago. Pretty good.
Good flic. Enjoyed. MIL was in town, so wife watched girl crap. The Ashton Kutcher/Princess Amadala, No Strings Attached, was crap. The cute girl from Wedding Crashers Rachel McAdams with Han Solo, Morning Glory, was watchable.

National Lampoon's Senior Trip:

Used to love this as a teen, it still held up upon viewing last night. Hilarious for a dumb 90's comedy type movie. If you liked the 90's post-SNL cast stuff be sure to watch this. Never realized before that it was Jeremy Renner in the lead role.

4/5

And Minnesota is usually Vancouver.

Recommendations from Netflix:

Because you like A Prophet: Life of Reilly (one man stage show of Charles Nelson Reilly)

Because you like the Office (UK): Cosmos (Carl Sagan)

really?

Anyone know if/when Breaking Bad Season 4 will be available?
Probably at least another 6 months and thats on dvd, maybe a year or more on instant watch.
The DVD is supposed to go on sale in March I believe. This will be the first time I go and buy a DVD set, then will DVR season 5 whenever it comes out so I don't have to sit thru the commercials. I am totally hooked on this show.

Portlandia?

Wife and I have been watching and laughing at this although it's not all good, but at least a couple times each episode I bust a gut laughing

Portlandia?Wife and I have been watching and laughing at this although it's not all good, but at least a couple times each episode I bust a gut laughing
I was raised in Portland and hear (I have not seen the show) that is really funny and for those who have lived or live in Portland, it is even funnier due to some of the unique aspects of living in the area. I have it in my queue to watch just haven't gotten around to it.

Portlandia?Wife and I have been watching and laughing at this although it's not all good, but at least a couple times each episode I bust a gut laughing
I was raised in Portland and hear (I have not seen the show) that is really funny and for those who have lived or live in Portland, it is even funnier due to some of the unique aspects of living in the area. I have it in my queue to watch just haven't gotten around to it.
Only 6 episodes but they did go ahead and order up a 2nd season. The scene with the two main characters biting back and forth about what they read, really funny stuff.

Anything relatively recent on there now? All the recently added stuff I see are older movies. Girlfriend's mom is in this weekend and she likes to watch movies, but I'd rather stream something than have to order on-demand.
Without knowing more about your girlfriend's mom's taste in movies I'd say this site is your best bet. Easy way to search by popularity, recency, genre, reviews, etc.
I dunno, she's a 57 year old lady. She will probably watch pretty much anything though that isn't a crazy violent or vulgar festival . . . which rules out my queue mostly.
On the Waterfront :moneybag:
Now that actually is already in my queue.
Winter's Bone?
Just when things got interesting in Winter's Bone the credits rolled. Totally underwhelming.
I want my 2 hours back. Total crap movie.

Winter's Bone?
Just when things got interesting in Winter's Bone the credits rolled. Totally underwhelming.
Sorry you feel that way. Best picture of 2010 IMO.
What did I miss, Chaka?
Seems to me some hillbillies in WV are cooking meth, a girl is taking care of her younger siblings and mom, Dad disappears, and she goes to find him but turns out some kin killed him. Kin finally comes around to help her, they chainsaw the hands to turn into bail bondsman to prove death and keep the family house, and out of the blue the girl ends up with a stack of cash. Lots of missing teeth and facial hair and a banjo to fill in the gaps.

Winter's Bone?
Sorry you feel that way. Best picture of 2010 IMO.
What did I miss, Chaka?
Seems to me some hillbillies in WV are cooking meth, a girl is taking care of her younger siblings and mom, Dad disappears, and she goes to find him but turns out some kin killed him. Kin finally comes around to help her, they chainsaw the hands to turn into bail bondsman to prove death and keep the family house, and out of the blue the girl ends up with a stack of cash. Lots of missing teeth and facial hair and a banjo to fill in the gaps.
Apparently you didn't like the style or the story. Nothing wrong with that. I think hillbilly meth dealers + missing persons mystery is a nice hook. I thought it was an excellent portrayal of a family in an difficult situation. And Jennifer Lawrence and John Hawkes delivered incredible performances.

Users who are viewing this thread