Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
KCC

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread)

me and my woman watched robot overlords it looked totally stupid by the box and description but it ended up being pretty cool actually so i give it four brohans out of five take that to the bank bromigos

Master of None - new series released today with Aziz Ansari, Jon Bemjamin and Eric Wareheim looks promising.

Pretty damn funny

Master of None. Very good. Although I'm frequently saying "that's funny" but not really laughing.

I'm 4 episodes in, and really digging it. Funny but more entertaining than funny, if that makes any sense. I'm moreso drawn into how good the story line is over the laughs, which are a bonus when they present themselves. Really impressed so far with how well Aziz presents a semi-serious storyline/plot and how well it delivers. Very excited for the rest of the season.

Master of None. Very good. Although I'm frequently saying "that's funny" but not really laughing.

I'm 4 episodes in, and really digging it. Funny but more entertaining than funny, if that makes any sense. I'm moreso drawn into how good the story line is over the laughs, which are a bonus when they present themselves. Really impressed so far with how well Aziz presents a semi-serious storyline/plot and how well it delivers. Very excited for the rest of the season.

Sounds kind of like Silicone Valley.

Watched the full season and laughed quite a bit. One of the later episodes (9?) spans an entire year and was one of the best half hours of TV this year

Aziz's dad is funny too

Watched the full season and laughed quite a bit. One of the later episodes (9?) spans an entire year and was one of the best half hours of TV this year

Aziz's dad is funny too

Binged watched this Sunday. I'll continue to follow. I agree with the more entertaining than LOL funny, but those shoes are few and far between for me. I do enjoy the topics/story lines. As a single 30 year old son of immigrants a lot of the first season was relevant to my life.

Are Those his real parents? Seems like they aren't professional actors.

Yep they are

Does anyone know when "Megan is Missing" will start streaming?

No.

I was able to catch it elsewhere.

I liked episode 1 and will continue watching. Reminds of Louie, meaning it's a show that builds off stand-up bits. It's funny in a different way than his stand-up.

Aziz's dad is funny too

Whats up man?

• Like 1

This is an excellent show. Very funny, and the photography is lovely.

Aziz's dad is funny too

Nice post from Aziz's Facebook page regarding his dad:

My dad took off most of his vacation time for the year to act in Master of None. So I'm really relieved this all worked out. Tonight after we did Colbert together he said: "This is all fun and I liked acting in the show, but I really just did it so I could spend more time with you." I almost instantly collapsed into tears at the thought of how much this person cares about me and took care of me and gave me everything to give me the amazing life I have. I felt like a total piece of garbage for all the times I haven't visited my parents and told them I wanted to stay in New York cause I'd get bored in SC. I'm an incredibly lucky person and many of you are as well. Not to beat a dead horse here and sorry if this is cheesy or too sentimental but if your parents are good to you too, just go do something nice for them. I bet they care and love you more than you realize.

I’ve been overwhelmed by the response to the Parents episode of our show. What’s strange is doing that episode and working with my parents has increased the quality of my relationship to my parents IN MY REAL LIFE. In reality, I haven’t always had the best, most open relationship with my parents because we are weirdly closed off emotionally sometimes. But we are getting better. And if you have something like that with your family - I urge you to work at it and get better because these are special people in your life and I get terrified when my dad tells me about friends of his, people close to his age, that are having serious health issues, etc. Enjoy and love these people while you can.

Anyway, this show and my experiences with my parents while working on it have been very important in many ways and I thank for you the part you all have played in it.

• Like 3

I liked episode 1 and will continue watching. Reminds of Louie, meaning it's a show that builds off stand-up bits. It's funny in a different way than his stand-up.

Through episode 4. Really liking this.

Washington Breadsticks :lmao:

I'm a couple... maybe three... episodes into Master of None.

it's cute. nothing great so far- writing and filmwork is all pretty average, IMO. but there's definitely something about it that works- a mix of the humor, social zeitgeisty observation, and a touch of sentimentality in just the right balance. if pitched, seems like it's Girls, but not as funny/outrageous or well written. I think it could use a little more of that. but the acting is mostly better- even if I don't think it's tip-top. but there's enough there to keep watching- hopefully its a grower.

it's cute. nothing great so far- writing and filmwork is all pretty average, IMO. but there's definitely something about it that works- a mix of the humor, social zeitgeisty observation, and a touch of sentimentality in just the right balance. if pitched, seems like it's Girls, but not as funny/outrageous or well written. I think it could use a little more of that. but the acting is mostly better- even if I don't think it's tip-top. but there's enough there to keep watching- hopefully its a grower.

I don't know what comedies you watch on TV, but I find most of them are not as good as Master of None.

Master of None is pretty decent. More sentimental than I was expecting, especially after the open of the pilot--that's exactly what I expected from Aziz. Surprised how much he has to say, actually. But I agree it's more "cute". And not super well acted (and I'm not talking about his parents here). It's got that kind of stilted, rehearsed sound to it that early Louie did, like a lot of the actors were reading their parts off a script while filming (thinking specifically of that early Louie scene where he's playing poker with his buddies and they talk about the word f*ggot with their gay friend, and it's emotional and real but also sounds like it's being read out loud, if that makes sense).

Netflix is recommending a show called Black Books for me. Since I follow a lot of suggestions here, I imagine many of you got the same suggestion. Anybody tried it yet? It's a British comedy that ran for three seasons starting in 2000.

I watched the series a few years ago on a whim. My g/f and I loved it. Well worth a watch.

I don't know what comedies you watch on TV, but I find most of them are not as good as Master of None.

Probably true. Also doesnt counter or make me rethink anything I wrote.

Just finished season one of Rectify and I'm all in.. really good perspective on "free" life after 20 years on death row.. looking forward to continuing onto season 2 :popcorn:

• Like 1

4 eps in to master of none and agree with most of the sentiments.

A lot of The conversations seem awkward, almost like Clerks. Like nobody cares about making it all seem realistic, it's more a setup to get to a joke or some larger point.

But I agree that in that, and other ways, I do kind of get a Louie vibe. I think that Aziz is doing some interesting stuff and he is trying to get at bigger issues, not going straight at the jokes all the time, but using the setups of the absurd situations to get at the comedy.

I've liked him in his other roles and as a talk show guest, never really saw much of his standup.

Anyway, I like that he is trying to do something interesting and a little different.

• Like 1

Also, re: the awkward line delivery, my guess is that they did not have a lot of time for shooting, so maybe they could not do more takeS to get it better and/or they thought that it just worked well enough.

4 eps in to master of none and agree with most of the sentiments.

A lot of The conversations seem awkward, almost like Clerks. Like nobody cares about making it all seem realistic, it's more a setup to get to a joke or some larger point.

But I agree that in that, and other ways, I do kind of get a Louie vibe. I think that Aziz is doing some interesting stuff and he is trying to get at bigger issues, not going straight at the jokes all the time, but using the setups of the absurd situations to get at the comedy.

I've liked him in his other roles and as a talk show guest, never really saw much of his standup.

Anyway, I like that he is trying to do something interesting and a little different.

Like Louie, I'm seeing much of Aziz's standup jokes turned into dialogue. Doesn't work as well in terms of a lot of LOLing, but I still find the show funny enough and gave me more LOLs than anything on network TV.

I've finished the season and the laughs fall off for me as the season goes on, but I think that's by design.

Nice to see Bob and David on Netflix. First episode was pretty good.

Now I'm starting into The Principal. Looks promising.

Nice to see Bob and David on Netflix. First episode was pretty good.

Now I'm starting into The Principal. Looks promising.

The Jim Belushi movie?

Some Australian mini-series about a principal at a violent boys school.

Other interesting stuff, maybe.

The director of the show is Eric wareheim of Tim and Eric.

Joe Mande is a co-writer and Harris Wittels is listed as a producer, so I guess this was like the last thing that he did. With Aziz, that is a pretty good trio.

Just finished season one of Rectify and I'm all in.. really good perspective on "free" life after 20 years on death row.. looking forward to continuing onto season 2 :popcorn:

Season 2 is pretty compelling. Different than 1, but still compelling. It's...interesting.

Season 2 is pretty compelling. Different than 1, but still compelling. It's...interesting.

I like it, but it's not for everyone. Fairly slow moving.

The Book Thief. Not available on Netflix, but it is on Amazon. I seldom watch movie more than once, twice at the most. But I've seen this four times and enjoyed and appreciated it more each time. I can't recommend this movie enough. The two main actors Geoffrey Rush and especially Sophie Nelisse are at least as captivating as the story.

The One I Love with Mark Duplass and Eizabeth Moss. Good litlle head f$&? flick to watch with your significant other. Nice ending.

Liked the One I Love.

Think Cross and Odenkirk's new show is painfully unfunny, I was shocked. Just terrible. The pilot, at least. The format was kinda clever, but really not very funny.

me and my woman watched robot overlords it looked totally stupid by the box and description but it ended up being pretty cool actually

I will concur, Robot Overlords was actually pretty decent.

For me Master of None started strong and went downhill. Still worthwhile, but almost a garden variety tv romcom in the final few episodes. Also, had never seen the actor behind the voice for Archer before. That was interesting.

I loved Master of None. I thought it was funny, intelligent, and profound. I just feel like Aziz really speaks to me. I definitely recommend it.

I loved Master of None. I thought it was funny, intelligent, and profound. I just feel like Aziz really speaks to me. I definitely recommend it.

He's not really speaking to you, you know, right?

sons of anarchy is horrible i mean cripes they go to ireland and change the theme song the only way it could have been more dumb is if they had a leprechaun join the motorcycle club and traffic in lucky charms just stupid bromigos zero out of ten brohanstars take that to the bank

• Like 2

Marvel's Jessica Jones is now available

First episode is surprisingly racy, but overall I liked what I saw. Looks like it's going to be worth a watch.

The "My List" page seems to have been changed. You can no longer manually order your list by putting in a number on where in the list you want it. Now you can only drag and drop a title or move it to the top. Plus, the My List page takes much longer to load now for some reason, which makes dragging and dropping any titles choppy and not working properly.

Watched "Kristy" last night--as with a lot of the Netflix horror/suspense movies, I went in with low expectations. This movie was very, very good. Lots of tension, a female lead you really are pulling for to survive and not too many dumb decisions that are so common in horror movies.

Thought Season one was better then season 2 but still enjoyed it..

for whatever reason I thought the first 3 seasons were on Netflix so was disappointed when I finished Season 2 and there were no more :kicksrock:

Edited by snogger

Watched "Kristy" last night--as with a lot of the Netflix horror/suspense movies, I went in with low expectations. This movie was very, very good. Lots of tension, a female lead you really are pulling for to survive and not too many dumb decisions that are so common in horror movies.

:thanks: will add it to my list :thumbup:

Thought Season one was better then season 2 but still enjoyed it..

for whatever reason I thought the first 3 seasons were on Netflix so was disappointed when I finished Season 2 and there were no more :kicksrock:

Final two episodes of Season 2 were incredibly powerful. I could have seen Episode 9 being the end of the season...and then Episode 10 was just as intense, if not more so.

Probably true. Also doesnt counter or make me rethink anything I wrote.

went back for a couple more episodes... it's a grower.

I think it maybe suffers from the lead being too nice/likable- and I'm actually not a fan of ####### leads in comedy series. but would love to see more outrageousness from him. at the same time, it might be growing on me because the guy is likeable- honest maybe to a fault.