What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread) (8 Viewers)

Kind of.  But it's got a supernatural element to it, a decent amount of nudity, and good production values.  I'm not 100% sold on the plot yet but the lead chick's bewbs are insane. 
:goodposting:

I almost stopped watching after ep1. Glad I didn't.  I'd say close to perfection. Also nice that the Tidelanders have something against bras.

The show has grown on me too.  I'm through episode 4.

pantherclub said:
I made it half way through and felt like I wast "getting it".  I was mildly entertained by a couple of stories but all in all ....meh.  I probably will finish it based on this post and hope the ending loops back around so I can understand what they are trying to do.
Yeah I'm surprised by all the praise and I generally love the Coen Brothers, but this just did not do much for me. The only story I really liked was the wagon trail to Oregon with the barking dog.

I love Tom Waits' music and some of his acting gigs but I just did not get the appeal of the prospector story - maybe I just wasn't paying enough attention to it but it seemed like nothing really happened.

dammit. I guess I'll have to watch buster scruggs now. 

huge coen bro fan, but lately huge coen bro indifferent. 

been a while since I've enjoyed one of their movies.

Exactly.

Couldn't get into Hail, Caesar! . Tried about 20 minutes and turned it off. Inside Llewyn Davis just doesn't scream to me as must watch. Thoroughly enjoyed True Grit tho.
Their first 3 are as iconic as it gets- Blood Simple, Raising Arizona (one of my top 3 comedies) and the amazing Miller's Crossing. I even liked their 90s misses, like Hudsucker and Fink... but after another fantastic run (fargo, lebowski, o brother) it started to slip for me in the aughts with the Man Who Wasn't There, which felt like a movie that wasn't there. wasn't a fan of Intolerable Cruelty or Ladykillers (loved the original). Big fan of no Country, but Burn after Reading was flat out terrible, and A Serious Man felt vacant. Grit was solid... didn't see Gambit. Inside Llewyn Davis was decent, and had no interest in even seeing Hail, Caesar.

I guess it's not as bad as I thought (felt like I had skipped over a bunch of their recent movies- but there havne't actually been any) even though it reached the point where I just stopped having them as a must see. 

dickey moe said:
Have any of you watched Roma yet? It was released to theaters in November and Netflix bought the rights and it's streaming now. Incredible film.
I'm 2/3's of the way through, but it's really great. Looking forward to finishing it off tonight. I'd strongly urge anyone who watches it to not wrap presents or do anything else while you have it on.

dickey moe said:
Have any of you watched Roma yet? It was released to theaters in November and Netflix bought the rights and it's streaming now. Incredible film.
I'm 2/3's of the way through, but it's really great. Looking forward to finishing it off tonight. I'd strongly urge anyone who watches it to not wrap presents or do anything else while you have it on.
didn't know it was Cuaron- looking forward to catching this. Children of Men was great- and Gravity, however flawed, was still solid film-making (my favorite use of 3d)

I’m just not feeling Travelers season 3. The  structure of episode 3 plays like it was dreamed up by monkeys in a community college screenwriting class. The show has become tedious and bland. It’s as if the characters’ actions are being dictated by a soulless computer. Oh wait....

I’m just not feeling Travelers season 3. The  structure of episode 3 plays like it was dreamed up by monkeys in a community college screenwriting class. The show has become tedious and bland. It’s as if the characters’ actions are being dictated by a soulless computer. Oh wait....
that episode was an absolute waste of time.

we watched ep 4 and I agree with your overall sentiment. I used to like funny bearded social worker. I want to turn the show off when he gets screen time now- just poorly written. I actually wanted bearded social worker to do from a brain injury while waiting for marcy (and her 1970s little girl outfits) to come home in ep4. 

they may have some grand season long story arc in play that saves things, but the individual episodes and scenes are suffering.

I'm a fan. Yeah, it's not art, but more like a guilty pleasure type show, but I dig it. I was a huge fan of Quantum Leap as a kid and this is a way better version of that IMO. I liked season 3 better than season 2. Hoping there is a season 4.

I'm a fan. Yeah, it's not art, but more like a guilty pleasure type show, but I dig it. I was a huge fan of Quantum Leap as a kid and this is a way better version of that IMO. I liked season 3 better than season 2. Hoping there is a season 4.
S1-2 weren't perfect, but they were interesting, tight and fun. S3 has been loose and not fun so far (ep4)- sounds like it gets better.

S1-2 weren't perfect, but they were interesting, tight and fun. S3 has been loose and not fun so far (ep4)- sounds like it gets better.
Yeah, I don't really remember the first 3 episodes that well, but remember being kind of disappointed in how they attempted to pick up from season 2 and explain things. I thought it found it's footing as the season progressed. I binged the final 6 episodes in a couple of days and enjoyed them. Still a silly show, but I like it. I'm a sucker for any time travel/alternate reality type stuff. 

dickey moe said:
I watched it last night.  I get what the buzz is about and recognize the overall awesomeness of the movie and how it just depicts life in that era, that city and that social class.  But for me it was slow, really slow.  I am glad I saw it but most def would not watch it again.

Seems like those kids go unattended all the time tbh.
My wife constantly brought this up. "Where are the kids?, Who's watching the kids?" during the first season. Then when they forgot the baby in the car she almost lost her GD mind. "They just left the baby in the car!" It is kinda strange, but they do have Zelda and there seemed to be plenty of staff to take care of the kids at the summer camp. Still, she doesn't seem to spend much time with them at all. They might as well not even exist to Abe and Rose. Seems like they were written into the show for the sole purpose of being the one tiny thread holding Midge and Joel's possible future together.

I watched it last night.  I get what the buzz is about and recognize the overall awesomeness of the movie and how it just depicts life in that era, that city and that social class.  But for me it was slow, really slow.  I am glad I saw it but most def would not watch it again.
You're right. But sometimes you just gotta slow down, man 

Is it subtitled or English? 

My wife constantly brought this up. "Where are the kids?, Who's watching the kids?" during the first season. Then when they forgot the baby in the car she almost lost her GD mind. "They just left the baby in the car!" It is kinda strange, but they do have Zelda and there seemed to be plenty of staff to take care of the kids at the summer camp. Still, she doesn't seem to spend much time with them at all. They might as well not even exist to Abe and Rose. Seems like they were written into the show for the sole purpose of being the one tiny thread holding Midge and Joel's possible future together.
I definitely get the sense this was more common child-raising technique back then (my parents were screw-balls for wanting to spend time with us in the 60s). and zelda didn't go with them to the catskills. 

I have to see if my mom watched this- she grew up going up there every summer like this... her dad would show up on weekends. 

Saw in a theater, and was happy we chose to do that. It’s a masterpiece.
just curious why you feel this way?  I get that its not something like the Avengers or Star wars and I get that its beautifully shot and its a peak into a real family but other than that its just there.  No real catch or hook to it for me

just curious why you feel this way?  I get that its not something like the Avengers or Star wars and I get that its beautifully shot and its a peak into a real family but other than that its just there.  No real catch or hook to it for me
Definitely the kind of film that will either draw you into a completely emnersive experience or have you thinking “I’m watching paint dry.” I don’t think there’s an in between.

There’s no developing romance, no plot line being developed, action is limited to an ancillary arc. Even the dialogue is secondary. Everything is sensory overload - sans score, it’s one of the greatest sound experiences I have ever enjoyed. Every shot could be parsed & discussed about what is being shown.

It is a film I think may be more appreciated if seen on a big screen.

Even though it is shot in 1970 Mexico, it reminded me of my own childhood, at almost the same point my parents marriage devolved. The Corpus Christi massacre paralleled Kent State, student demonstrations, corrupt government. But those are backdrop to the memories. It resonates that all of the men are weak and failing; my formative years were surrounded by strong, faithful women who did their duty with grace & dignity. 

There’s no hero but neither does a heroine emerge. It’s a fresh perspective on the human condition. We are all broken. There is good and bad, joy and suffering, in every season of life.

I liked Season 3 ok. ! and 2 were better, but three had its moments. If there is a season 4, it will be really good or awful from the ending of the last episode

It reminds me of the first time an abuelita cooked for me when i moved to New Mexico - nothing fancy, but the love and depth of flavor just connected me all up

Wife and I are watching The Son series on Netflix DVD (one of the last eight families in USA to still be getting DVDs)....she loves it....I can't get over the worst James Bond ever as an Ol' West Patriarch...sigh...

The wifey compared it The Happening, so I will avoid until a better comp comes along...A Quiet Place was a fun movie, but The Happening is such a damning comp I’m gonna need more positive before giving it a try
It is comparable to The Happening in a universe where The Happening was a good movie with good acting, plotting, and suspense driven narrative. It is closer to A Quiet Place. I kind of liked this movie better.

• Smile
Reactions: SWC
El Floppo said:
Watching Birdbox now... our daughter auditioned for the role of "girl", so kinda interested.
Yeah. That was bad.

I don't think the rules it set up were ever maintained, in terms of seeing vs not seeing. And I never bought what they could do whole not seeing. The cast did fine but the writing (story line, not dialogue) never gave anybody much of a chance. Really bad.

Users who are viewing this thread