Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
KCC

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread)

It's weird - i don't like westerns in general but, when i find one i do, seems i like it more than almost anything. Lonesome Dove is just about my favorite TV thing ever and The Ballad of Buster Scruggs ain't far behind. My taste for the form is reflected by the fact that, even w the Coens behind it, it took me a month or so to hit it on Netflix. Don't you make the same mistake. As a writer, i am awed by the consideration between Western myth & reality it took to present these clever and resonant stories and, as a viewer, i am utterly charmed. Best short-story telling i've experienced since O'Henry blew me away as a lad.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wikkidpissah said:

It's weird - i don't like westerns in general but, when i find one i do, seems i like it more than almost anything. Lonesome Dove is just about my favorite TV thing ever and The Ballad of Buster Scruggs ain't far behind. My taste for the form is reflected by the fact that, even w the Coens behind it, it took me a month or so to hit it on Netflix. Don't you make the same mistake. As a writer, i am awed by the consideration between Western myth & reality it took to present these clever and resonant stories and, as a viewer, i am utterly charmed. Best short-story telling i've experienced since O'Henry blew me away as a lad.

but...but I sold my netflix account to buy you that complete set of louis l'amours

Tricky Dick & The Man in Black was an interesting documentary about Nixon and Johnny Cash.

8 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

but...but I sold my netflix account to buy you that complete set of louis l'amours

Dagnab it, dadblast it there, sidewinder. Wudja do a dern fool thing likat fer?! Tarnation!!

• Like 1

Finished Mrs Maisel S2. I find her character so annoying, and most of her routines not that funny that I find it hard to like the show. but I do. suzy absolutely kills it in S2, and their banter is fantastic and much funnier than any of the routines. and it's fun getting into a romanticized zeitgeist of the era (one my folks have repeatedly decried as socially small-minded and inhibiting.. but also out of which grew so much of what we think of as current thought and culture- like lenny bruce).

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Finished Mrs Maisel S2. I find her character so annoying, and most of her routines not that funny that I find it hard to like the show. but I do. suzy absolutely kills it in S2, and their banter is fantastic and much funnier than any of the routines. and it's fun getting into a romanticized zeitgeist of the era (one my folks have repeatedly decried as socially small-minded and inhibiting.. but also out of which grew so much of what we think of as current thought and culture- like lenny bruce).

Is Shaloub as good as he was in the 1st season?

1 minute ago, Gr00vus said:

Is Shaloub as good as he was in the 1st season?

he's always great. I felt like the writing for his character was a bit all over the place... or maybe that they were writing his character in a different direction than I expected based on S1. but he's still fantastic. 

On 12/15/2018 at 7:14 PM, badmojo1006 said:

Travelers Season 3 overall A-

Reveal hidden contents

Reboot? OK.

Same Travelers? New Cast for Season 4?

But that was cute, ending with David and Marcy meeting in a new timeline? Or the same one? Or in the afterlife?

This show needs a “previously on” recap at the beginning of the season more than any other show ever created. I just turned off episode 3.1 after 20 minutes because I can’t remember what happened at the end of last season. 

Was suprised when Will dropped an F bomb. Isn’t this Canadian tv? 

Maggie still hot, though boring.   (Also she’s Marcy, not Maggie. Not that it matters)

• Like 1

A bit of trivia from Buster Scruggs I found interesting - The actor who plays the "Artist" in "Meal Ticket" (the limbless young man who recites the classics), is Harry Melling, known to most of us as the kid actor who played Dudley Dursley in the Harry Potter movies.  When I realized this, I looked up the actor's wiki and learned that he lost so much weight between his appearance in Order of the Phoenix (2007) and Deathly Hallows I (2010) that he had to wear a "fat suit" for the latter role, as he had become unrecognizable as Dudley.

Great movie imo.  All the shorts were very good, but I think my favorite is Tom Waits as the Prospector.

• Like 3

My current guilty pleasure is Future Man on Hulu.  Its pretty much juvenile crap, but has just enough in it to keep me binging, on to the next episode.  Typical Seth Rogan though - perfectly kid-friendly topic which would be fun to watch with my son, but about every 3rd episode or so he has to put something in there that goes over the line for me.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Nick Vermeil said:

This show needs a “previously on” recap at the beginning of the season more than any other show ever created. I just turned off episode 3.1 after 20 minutes because I can’t remember what happened at the end of last season. 

Was suprised when Will dropped an F bomb. Isn’t this Canadian tv? 

Maggie still hot, though boring.   (Also she’s Marcy, not Maggie. Not that it matters)

You are right. I did binge the two previous seasons before watching Season 3.

It's Netflix. You can do pretty much anything. And you mean Maclaren. 

Yeah she is. She has some "Oh S***!" Moments in Season 3

• Like 1

1 hour ago, El Floppo said:

Abe might be one of my favourite characters ever. 

"You'll never be Jimmy" 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, El Floppo said:

I still think her funniest routine was her first in Season 1. Really raw, but :lmao:.

And it didn't hurt that she flashed.

Agreed, Susie is the more compelling character on the show. Midges arrogance and privledge does rub me the wrong way

53 minutes ago, CletiusMaximus said:

All the shorts were very good, but I think my favorite is Tom Waits as the Prospector.

How high can a bird count, anyway?

1 hour ago, badmojo1006 said:

I still think her funniest routine was her first in Season 1. Really raw, but :lmao:.

Agreed, Susie is the more compelling character on the show. Midges arrogance and privledge does rub me the wrong way

I feel like it's more ignorance than arrogance, imo. She seems to really care about Susie but is just very ignorant about their class difference(as one example). 

16 minutes ago, The Gator said:
1 hour ago, badmojo1006 said:

I feel like it's more ignorance than arrogance, imo. She seems to really care about Susie but is just very ignorant about their class difference(as one example). 

privileged naivete fo sho. felt believable...I'm sure we've all known a lot of people like this.

and I actually appreciate that they let the lead be unlikable in ways (she's also seemingly aware of mistakes after she makes them, and looks to acknowldege or change her behavior). but that whole wedding speech, I found to be completely ridiculous- not funny. and I'm probably watchign too much stuff- I start hearing lines spoken that seem a little out of the blue and immediately hear/see them as plot devices (ie: joke about bell labs) to come back later... which feel just a little lazy.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

but that whole wedding speech, I found to be completely ridiculous- not funny. and I'm probably watchign too much stuff-

yeah that was bad

btw- when they first get to the catskills, I noticed what I thought was a big continuity error

they all get out of the car, but they don't bring the baby. figured the writers had just forgotten about it. there are like two or three scenes before they go back by the car again- and one of the help staff (never jimmy) asks what he should do with the baby. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

btw- when they first get to the catskills, I noticed what I thought was a big continuity error

Hide contents

they all get out of the car, but they don't bring the baby. figured the writers had just forgotten about it. there are like two or three scenes before they go back by the car again- and one of the help staff (never jimmy) asks what he should do with the baby. :lol:

:lmao:

yes!!

"bring that too" /Midge :lmao: :lmao: 

Edited by The Gator
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Good Posting Judge said:

Seems like those kids go unattended all the time tbh.

It was a different time. Remember the Mad Men episode where Sally put the the plastic dry cleaning bag over her head and Betty was :shrug:

• Thanks 1

Just chiming in to add that Buster Scruggs is outstanding.  I'll need to watch it a few more times to form a strong opinion, but I loved the first and last stories in particular.  Both are just brilliant.

Edit: I went into this film totally blind, so for a while I had absolutely no idea what I was watching.  It wasn't until the end that it "clicked" for me.  You expect a dark movie from the Coens, but this is really dark, despite lots of comedy along the way.

Edited by IvanKaramazov
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, El Floppo said:

Can’t disagree with much here.  Just finished S2 myself and am fully on board until SFinal, whenever that is...

For me...I thought they focused on her routines less and more the hustling part which was a good move.  Agree that her routines are getting tired at this point.  But once you know any comedians/comediennes schtick, it’s tougher to keep fresh.

Seemed like a priority of the season was un-schmucking Joel.  Shaloub still kills it, and I liked the first two episode arc between him and the Mrs.  But Mrs. slipped back into S1 mindset I thought after what should have been enlightened experience.

All in all, a very good follow up season to what was a spectacular opening.  

18 hours ago, wikkidpissah said:

Excellent. I was ignoring this, assumed it would be a bad remake of blazing saddles or something along those lines. Will have to check it out after travelers. I'll agree that show is confusing at times but a quick https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Travelers_(TV_series) read will remind you enough to enjoy season 3.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, IvanKaramazov said:

Just chiming in to add that Buster Scruggs is outstanding.  I'll need to watch it a few more times to form a strong opinion, but I loved the first and last stories in particular.  Both are just brilliant.

Edit: I went into this film totally blind, so for a while I had absolutely no idea what I was watching.  It wasn't until the end that it "clicked" for me.  You expect a dark movie from the Coens, but this is really dark, despite lots of comedy along the way.

I made it half way through and felt like I wast "getting it".  I was mildly entertained by a couple of stories but all in all ....meh.  I probably will finish it based on this post and hope the ending loops back around so I can understand what they are trying to do.

On 12/16/2018 at 8:07 AM, James Daulton said:

Kind of.  But it's got a supernatural element to it, a decent amount of nudity, and good production values.  I'm not 100% sold on the plot yet but the lead chick's bewbs are insane. 

:goodposting:

I almost stopped watching after ep1. Glad I didn't.  I'd say close to perfection. Also nice that the Tidelanders have something against bras.

The show has grown on me too.  I'm through episode 4.

10 minutes ago, jdoggydogg said:
  • Testing the text features.

🆗   :mindblown:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, pantherclub said:

I made it half way through and felt like I wast "getting it".  I was mildly entertained by a couple of stories but all in all ....meh.  I probably will finish it based on this post and hope the ending loops back around so I can understand what they are trying to do.

Yeah I'm surprised by all the praise and I generally love the Coen Brothers, but this just did not do much for me. The only story I really liked was the wagon trail to Oregon with the barking dog.

I love Tom Waits' music and some of his acting gigs but I just did not get the appeal of the prospector story - maybe I just wasn't paying enough attention to it but it seemed like nothing really happened.

Yeah The Ballad of Buster Scruggs is genius. One of the best movies I've seen in years. 

dammit. I guess I'll have to watch buster scruggs now. 

huge coen bro fan, but lately huge coen bro indifferent. 

been a while since I've enjoyed one of their movies.

1 minute ago, El Floppo said:

huge coen bro fan, but lately huge coen bro indifferent. 

Exactly.

Couldn't get into Hail, Caesar! . Tried about 20 minutes and turned it off. Inside Llewyn Davis just doesn't scream to me as must watch. Thoroughly enjoyed True Grit tho.

9 minutes ago, falguy said:

Exactly.

Couldn't get into Hail, Caesar! . Tried about 20 minutes and turned it off. Inside Llewyn Davis just doesn't scream to me as must watch. Thoroughly enjoyed True Grit tho.

Their first 3 are as iconic as it gets- Blood Simple, Raising Arizona (one of my top 3 comedies) and the amazing Miller's Crossing. I even liked their 90s misses, like Hudsucker and Fink... but after another fantastic run (fargo, lebowski, o brother) it started to slip for me in the aughts with the Man Who Wasn't There, which felt like a movie that wasn't there. wasn't a fan of Intolerable Cruelty or Ladykillers (loved the original). Big fan of no Country, but Burn after Reading was flat out terrible, and A Serious Man felt vacant. Grit was solid... didn't see Gambit. Inside Llewyn Davis was decent, and had no interest in even seeing Hail, Caesar.

I guess it's not as bad as I thought (felt like I had skipped over a bunch of their recent movies- but there havne't actually been any) even though it reached the point where I just stopped having them as a must see. 

Have any of you watched Roma yet? It was released to theaters in November and Netflix bought the rights and it's streaming now. Incredible film.

• Like 2

Netflix has hundreds of secret categories that are hidden from view – here’s the full list The list

• Like 4

On 12/19/2018 at 8:48 AM, dickey moe said:

Have any of you watched Roma yet? It was released to theaters in November and Netflix bought the rights and it's streaming now. Incredible film.

I'm 2/3's of the way through, but it's really great. Looking forward to finishing it off tonight. I'd strongly urge anyone who watches it to not wrap presents or do anything else while you have it on.

18 minutes ago, Good Posting Judge said:
On 12/19/2018 at 11:48 AM, dickey moe said:

I'm 2/3's of the way through, but it's really great. Looking forward to finishing it off tonight. I'd strongly urge anyone who watches it to not wrap presents or do anything else while you have it on.

didn't know it was Cuaron- looking forward to catching this. Children of Men was great- and Gravity, however flawed, was still solid film-making (my favorite use of 3d)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m just not feeling Travelers season 3. The  structure of episode 3 plays like it was dreamed up by monkeys in a community college screenwriting class. The show has become tedious and bland. It’s as if the characters’ actions are being dictated by a soulless computer. Oh wait....

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nick Vermeil said:

I’m just not feeling Travelers season 3. The  structure of episode 3 plays like it was dreamed up by monkeys in a community college screenwriting class. The show has become tedious and bland. It’s as if the characters’ actions are being dictated by a soulless computer. Oh wait....

that episode was an absolute waste of time.

we watched ep 4 and I agree with your overall sentiment. I used to like funny bearded social worker. I want to turn the show off when he gets screen time now- just poorly written. I actually wanted bearded social worker to do from a brain injury while waiting for marcy (and her 1970s little girl outfits) to come home in ep4. 

they may have some grand season long story arc in play that saves things, but the individual episodes and scenes are suffering.

4 minutes ago, Nick Vermeil said:

I'm a fan. Yeah, it's not art, but more like a guilty pleasure type show, but I dig it. I was a huge fan of Quantum Leap as a kid and this is a way better version of that IMO. I liked season 3 better than season 2. Hoping there is a season 4.

14 minutes ago, ericttspikes said:

I'm a fan. Yeah, it's not art, but more like a guilty pleasure type show, but I dig it. I was a huge fan of Quantum Leap as a kid and this is a way better version of that IMO. I liked season 3 better than season 2. Hoping there is a season 4.

S1-2 weren't perfect, but they were interesting, tight and fun. S3 has been loose and not fun so far (ep4)- sounds like it gets better.

1 minute ago, El Floppo said:

S1-2 weren't perfect, but they were interesting, tight and fun. S3 has been loose and not fun so far (ep4)- sounds like it gets better.

Yeah, I don't really remember the first 3 episodes that well, but remember being kind of disappointed in how they attempted to pick up from season 2 and explain things. I thought it found it's footing as the season progressed. I binged the final 6 episodes in a couple of days and enjoyed them. Still a silly show, but I like it. I'm a sucker for any time travel/alternate reality type stuff. 

• Like 1

On 12/19/2018 at 11:48 AM, dickey moe said:

I watched it last night.  I get what the buzz is about and recognize the overall awesomeness of the movie and how it just depicts life in that era, that city and that social class.  But for me it was slow, really slow.  I am glad I saw it but most def would not watch it again.

On 12/17/2018 at 7:19 PM, Good Posting Judge said:

Seems like those kids go unattended all the time tbh.

My wife constantly brought this up. "Where are the kids?, Who's watching the kids?" during the first season. Then when they forgot the baby in the car she almost lost her GD mind. "They just left the baby in the car!" It is kinda strange, but they do have Zelda and there seemed to be plenty of staff to take care of the kids at the summer camp. Still, she doesn't seem to spend much time with them at all. They might as well not even exist to Abe and Rose. Seems like they were written into the show for the sole purpose of being the one tiny thread holding Midge and Joel's possible future together.

43 minutes ago, pantherclub said:

I watched it last night.  I get what the buzz is about and recognize the overall awesomeness of the movie and how it just depicts life in that era, that city and that social class.  But for me it was slow, really slow.  I am glad I saw it but most def would not watch it again.

You're right. But sometimes you just gotta slow down, man 

55 minutes ago, pantherclub said:

Is it subtitled or English?