What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread) (11 Viewers)

I haven't read up on this, so I'm just spitballing- but I think Netflix buys a bunch of properties more than produces them... tv shows and movies. i'd guess there's only a handful of shows and movies they actually produce soup to nuts. those have usually been pretty decent (can't think of other movies they've done)... but birdbox was like bad cable syfy level.
Interesting.  I am probably overestimating how much of their content falls into that bolded category.  So you are thinking it's more just scooping up finished products and slapping the Netflix Original tag on it, which is just saying that they are the only carrier for the movie, not that it was their concept and they created it?  I am going to look into this more.  

I guess I am not sure which ones were 100% them from start to finish then.  Was Mudbound?

Finished "Homecoming" last night and enjoyed it very much. Probably my favorite bit of TV in recent months (other than "Gravity Falls" ). It maybe went a little pokey in terms of pacing late in the season but whatever. Considering it's only 10 episodes and only 30 mins per, this is very faint criticism. I loved the little nods in terms of music, scenes, photography from classic cinema  that pepper the storytelling. Really well done series. Roberts, who I don't dislike, does some good work in the series but especially late. Cannavale sucks up the air in every scene he's in. I hope the guy playing Cruz finds his way into more and better work because he's a natural.

This is something that I am wrestling with as far as movies go on these streaming sites.  I posted when I first got netlix/hulu a couple months ago that I was surprised how few movies were available to watch on their sites.  I tried Birdbox and a couple other NF originals and thought they just came off as slightly better than a made for TV movie.  To be fair, I haven't watched Roma or Buster Scruggs yet, but so far I get the feeling that it's less about quality and more about just pumping out mass numbers of original movies and shows to keep subscribers.   Like you said, do people think this is a great movie, period - or was good enough for the 50cents/movie average.  
I thought birdbox was terrible but the production and quality of it was excellent. It didn’t seem like a TV movie at all. Netflix pours money into their product, even if it royally sucked. 

it's really bad and not worth your time. 

or you should absolutely watch it to understand the jokes.

you have to wear a blindfold or die.

:shrug:  as long as you're not inside. sometimes. or a car. sometimes. or outside. sometimes.

Reveal hidden contents
this is troof.

I disliked this one a lot... but... it does do a good job with pacing, controlling suspense (even if it's a bit formulaic) and I thought the narrative structure in story-telling worked well. I didn't really enjoy bullock's performance... but it could've been the way the character was written. I think my dislike stems from feeling like the peekaboo aspect wasn't consistent- and that they never really established any rules that made sense to me. I'm willing to accept goofy, if the goofy is consistent and thought out. IMO, this wasn't. also, they should have hired floppinha to play "girl" when she auditioned. she would've made this thing a masterpiece with the half line they gave her.

Interesting.  I am probably overestimating how much of their content falls into that bolded category.  So you are thinking it's more just scooping up finished products and slapping the Netflix Original tag on it, which is just saying that they are the only carrier for the movie, not that it was their concept and they created it?  I am going to look into this more.  

I guess I am not sure which ones were 100% them from start to finish then.  Was Mudbound?
like I said, "spitballing". 

but old KP would've been just the guy to get to the bottom of this. new KP is too busy.

I haven't read up on this, so I'm just spitballing- but I think Netflix buys a bunch of properties more than produces them... tv shows and movies. i'd guess there's only a handful of shows and movies they actually produce soup to nuts. those have usually been pretty decent (can't think of other movies they've done)... but birdbox was like bad cable syfy level.
I'm not sure the current split, but Netflix recently bought Albuquerque Studios as part of upping its in-house production game.  

The 3 Netflix movies I watched were Bright, that one with Michael Pena & the twist (forgot the name), and Bird Box. I thought all were entertaining enough for sitting on the couch for 90 min and enjoyed Bird Box the most of the 3 but I wouldn't have paid money to see any of them in a theater and wouldn't really call any of them great.

The 3 Netflix movies I watched were Bright, that one with Michael Pena & the twist (forgot the name), and Bird Box. I thought all were entertaining enough for sitting on the couch for 90 min and enjoyed Bird Box the most of the 3 but I wouldn't have paid money to see any of them in a theater and wouldn't really call any of them great.
I think I'm the one guy that enjoyed Bright. 

and I saw all three. I'd say the writing suffers in all of them- bringing down what were all interesting ideas. birdbox was my least favorite by a good stretch. but yeah- other than my own frustration at cringey writing holes in birdbox, I sat through all three and enjoyed the other two.

Finished this with the wife in 3 days.  One of those flicks where you catch yourself rooting for the sociopath.  Highly recommend.
I thought it was good. Strange mix of cream puff romantic comedy and slasher/crime drama. Not the most believable storyline, but it was a good watch.

Finished "Homecoming" last night and enjoyed it very much. Probably my favorite bit of TV in recent months (other than "Gravity Falls" ). It maybe went a little pokey in terms of pacing late in the season but whatever. Considering it's only 10 episodes and only 30 mins per, this is very faint criticism. I loved the little nods in terms of music, scenes, photography from classic cinema  that pepper the storytelling. Really well done series. Roberts, who I don't dislike, does some good work in the series but especially late. Cannavale sucks up the air in every scene he's in. I hope the guy playing Cruz finds his way into more and better work because he's a natural.
Best looking show I've seen in a while. The Mr. Robot guy directed it and used similar shots and techniques. Even the storyline was somewhat Mr. Robot-ish with corporate villain Geist Group subbing for E Corp. Was mildly disappointed in the payoff, but it thought it was good. Not a Roberts fan so that was a negative for me. Wanted the Shea Whigham character to be stronger. Overall great cast and slick looking show. 

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/08/media/bird-box-netflix-nielsen-ratings/index.html

I thought Bird Box was ok, but not great.  I stayed interested to the end.  I really feel like the amount of people watching this ok movie is more a reflection on how poor the Netflix lineup is at the moment.  Their original content is decent, but overall I'm not loving the service these days.

The most popular thing on Netflix is reported to be The Office reruns.  That is saying something.

shadyridr said:
How are more people not talking about Bodyguard (or maybe I missed it)? Fantastic show and the King of the North is great in it. 
I might have missed it too....but I actually enjoyed this show much more than I thought I would have going into it.

El Floppo said:
like I said, "spitballing". 

but old KP would've been just the guy to get to the bottom of this. new KP is too busy.
:lol:   you are not wrong.  Don't forget too tired.  I think it's 3 nights in a row that I have sat down with the intent to watch something, just to pass out 5min later and wake up in the middle of the night.  

Just finished You  season 1

it’s a Berlanti show...it’s a lot of fun...kind of a Dexter vibe to it, but different...it explores love and obsession...some of it is guilty pleasure cheese, but some of it is really good and intense.  Joe Goldberg is a great twisted character.

i was entertained

GG Allin: All in the Family  (streaming on Showtime)

Well, let's see.  I was not familiar with GG before watching this documentary.  At the risk of offending anyone, let me just say, this dude was disturbed.

There were a couple of funny moments here and there through out the story, but for the most part, it was depressing. 
I read the Wikipedia entry in this guy a couple of days ago, and he sounds very damaged 

saintfool said:
Well I guess it goes back on my list.  Seems a lot of critics in here.

Finished Season 3 of Travelers.. Really liked it..

Not nearly as confusing as last season and the last 3 episodes had many :shock: moments so won't spoil them...

Version 2.0, aka Season 4, can't get here soon enough! :popcorn:

Killing Eve on Hulu was pretty good

need something new to start 

thinking of maybe Castle Rock on Hulu or Man In The High Castle on Prime

open to other suggestions too

Killing Eve on Hulu was pretty good

need something new to start 

thinking of maybe Castle Rock on Hulu or Man In The High Castle on Prime

open to other suggestions too
I think they're equivalent- interesting, entertaining, but flawed too much to elevate. that said, there was an episode of castle rock that featured on sissy spacek that was incredible tv- really top tier episode. an advantage of high castle is that it's got three seasons, so you can binge deeper.

GG Allin: All in the Family  (streaming on Showtime)

Well, let's see.  I was not familiar with GG before watching this documentary.  At the risk of offending anyone, let me just say, this dude was disturbed.

There were a couple of funny moments here and there through out the story, but for the most part, it was depressing. 
Yeah this hack was nothing more than mental illness parading as art. 

Watch out, apparently it was a Lifetime flic and you'll be ridiculed if you say you enjoy any Lifetime flics.

Not that I enjoy Lifetime flics or anything.

But yea, solid show.
Almost done with this.  Since we are kindred spirits in our affinity for Lifetime Shows that transition to Netflix, I knew we'd probably enjoy it.  So far, we're batting 1.000.

I think they're equivalent- interesting, entertaining, but flawed too much to elevate. that said, there was an episode of castle rock that featured on sissy spacek that was incredible tv- really top tier episode. an advantage of high castle is that it's got three seasons, so you can binge deeper.
i didn't much care for High Castle and bailed after a few episodes. i did mostly enjoy Castle Rock though even if my expectations were off base. i've got to get back to "Patriot" still and make some progress there on my own. We're teeing up "Narcos: Mexico" next, I think, because I couldn't get into S2 of "Dirk Gently". I also keep meaning to circle back to "Legion" but can't decide if it's a show that my wife would enjoy too.

i didn't much care for High Castle and bailed after a few episodes. i did mostly enjoy Castle Rock though even if my expectations were off base. i've got to get back to "Patriot" still and make some progress there on my own. We're teeing up "Narcos: Mexico" next, I think, because I couldn't get into S2 of "Dirk Gently". I also keep meaning to circle back to "Legion" but can't decide if it's a show that my wife would enjoy too.
I'd like to get back to Legion as well. My wife isn't a comic book (graphic novel... whatever) fan, so wasn't too into Legion, even though I remember really liking it through S1. 

High Castle was mostly ok. honestly not missing much by bailing, but there's enough there to warrant watching if the first few episodes grabbed you enough- the acting of the elder Japanese actors in particular was pretty great.

I found Narcos Mexico similar. While the story was interesting to me from a historical standpoint, the writing felt weak (every episode with hackneyed tension builders focused around clearly fictionalized "missed me by THIS much" scenes) and I've mentioned my dislike of the casting for the jeffe, who brought zero gravitas or sensing of imposing personality to the role (and seemed too young). 

we've talked about Patriot, which I like. I've never seen Dirk Gently... I guess I should?

we've talked about Patriot, which I like. I've never seen Dirk Gently... I guess I should?
i liked S1. I was not a fan of Douglas Adams writing really but with the exception of DG. I think I read 1-2 of the books back in the day. It's a fun, goofy little tv show that worked for a season.  

I barely made it through S2 of High Castle. Gave S3 a shot and gave up after a few episodes. Great premise, poor execution, imo.

If you're into dark (or maybe more like adult) comedies, you should check Catastrophe on Prime. Mindhunter on Netflix is good too. S2 should be starting soon. And I'll highly recommend Handmaid's Tale again.

I barely made it through S2 of High Castle. Gave S3 a shot and gave up after a few episodes. Great premise, poor execution, imo.

If you're into dark (or maybe more like adult) comedies, you should check Catastrophe on Prime. Mindhunter on Netflix is good too. S2 should be starting soon. And I'll highly recommend Handmaid's Tale again.
yeah I had trouble finishing season 2.  Had it’s moments, but too many flaws.  It’s a difficult premise to pull off.

Users who are viewing this thread