What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread) (14 Viewers)

Courtjester said:
We really were excited for this movie after watching the trailer, but this movie was not good at all. Too much “art-speak”, not enough scares and just a mess. It actually took my wife and I two nights to finish it. 
My wife fell asleep during it and then made fun of me for watching the whole thing. Can't say I blame her. 

Watched 3 episodes of The Magicians, and so far it's scratching that cheesy itch.  Could do without greasy emo Dawson's Creek looking dude though.  
I liked this show. It is cheesy and annoying at times, but it’s funny and imaginative too. I thought it was a fun series to watch. Just finished S3 and I think I enjoyed it more than S1 and S2. I don’t know that I liked any particular character but I liked Q ok (I assume that’s the “greasy emo Dawson’s Creek looking dude” you refer to). 

Sucks hearing the bad reviews for Velvet Buzzsaw. Looked good in previews.

Last edited by a moderator:
badmojo1006 said:
Enjoyed season 1, but  2 episodes into Season 2 and stopped. That was months ago, just can't get back into it
I had a tough time with the first half of Season 2 but overall it was still good by the end.

It's gotten to the point where Netflix isn't really worth it anymore IMO.  They keep raising prices to fund their original programming, but their original movies and shows mostly suck.  Plus, once Disney removes their content from Netflix, that will result in the loss of a lot of the quality movies and shows, making Netflix's value even worse.   If their original movies and shows were good I would be much more OK with their prices, but at this point I'm leaning towards Amazon Prime over Netflix since you at least get other value from Amazon.  I'm probably leaving Netflix after Disney takes away their content or when Netflix raises their prices again.  Whichever is sooner.
Disagree.  Still well worth it.  

"Lodge 49" anyone? Started episode 1 and not bowled over.  Feels "quirky" but maybe not in the best sense of the word.
I had this on my top 10 shows last year. It's very chill on top of being quirky and sometimes silly. I watched it episodically, and it might play better that way than as a binge. 

I liked this show. It is cheesy and annoying at times, but it’s funny and imaginative too. I thought it was a fun series to watch. Just finished S3 and I think I enjoyed it more than S1 and S2. I don’t know that I liked any particular character but I liked Q ok (I assume that’s the “greasy emo Dawson’s Creek looking dude” you refer to). 
Yeah, I think he looks like Dawson, and nerdy girl looks like Alicia Silverstone, but hiding huge boobs.  Getting a big 90s vibe because of those 2. 

I'm assuming we're only in between-season hiatus of the following shows:

Mindhunter
Peaky Blinders
Black Mirror
Stranger Things
Dark
Ozark
Haunting of Hill House

No way am I giving up Netflix.
Mostly TV shows or do you find a fair # of movies to watch too? 

Approve (midway through ep2). 

Edit to add: it is very hard to stop watching. Really well paced (25 minutes each) and a great lead performance. Will finish it tomorrow. 
We burned through this yesterday. Conceptually interesting and thought provoking while also being very funny. Great point about the pacing, really easy to move onto the next episodes.

Watched the Fyre festival documentary. What a #### show. Part of me feels bad for the attendees who got screwed over but most of me is straight up Nelson.

But the cajones of McFarland to literally start another scam while facing an indictment and the stupidity to put it all on film was stunning.

Started "Get Shorty" series on Netflix. Only an episode in but I'm enjoying it. Light like a USA Network series but not that breezy or disposable.

I like the show, but as far as I’m concerned it’s a little *too* much like Gilmore Girls in that at times some (many?) of the main characters come off as unlikeable, which can make for a tough watch for stretches. 
I have never seen a second of Gilmore Girls, but I love Mrs Maisel...and her standup is always funny...is Gilmore worth watching?  I had always assumed it was pablum.

I have never seen a second of Gilmore Girls, but I love Mrs Maisel...and her standup is always funny...is Gilmore worth watching?  I had always assumed it was pablum.
How do you feel about Wes Anderson? Whit Stillman movies? What about Noah Baumbach or Greta Gerwig?

So he can't say women stand up comics aren't funny??  Is it the same standard saying the same about Male comics.
He could say that he doesnt find women stand up comics funny....followed by a long period of self-reflection on why he feels that way

- is he not able to relate to women?

- does he put women comics through a filter?  I.e. if a women comic told a joke identical to what a man comic told that he thought was funny, would he still laugh just as much?

- is there some other issue like a lack of respect for women?

Personal taste is subjective, but many people find woman comics funny.  So the question is, why is every female comic not funny to him?

How do you feel about Wes Anderson? Whit Stillman movies? What about Noah Baumbach or Greta Gerwig?
I loved Bottle Rocket and Rushmore...enjoyed Darjeeling Limited, Zissou...I did like Tennenbaums, but it felt overrated ...

So overall, I like Wes and his movies....i havrnt seen enough Baumbach, Gerwig or Stillman to comment...

It has the same style of writing - witty, rapid fire dialog. If you enjoy that in Maisel it’s probably worth a shot. 

Movies are very hit or miss - in addition to the series shuke listed I felt Netflix is great at documentaries - both episodic and one offs.
FWIW, I think Netflix kinda already knows its movies aren't that good.  It paid way too much money to get people like Will Smith and Adam Sandler onboard to try to create some traction.  Not sure it's working.  Bright was o.k. but I have a hard time recalling a Netflix movie off the top of my head that was fantastic.  But let's face it, we also aren't paying $7.50 per ticket, plus concessions to sit down in a theater so that may also temper our expectations of movies.  A lot of the crap that goes to theaters these days are o.k. too. The "blockbusters" so to speak are more often than not franchise movies such as super heroes or star wars, etc....  Or else they are part of the PR machine that overhypes huge budget movies.  I mean, I liked Avatar quite a bit, but a lot of people didn't think it was that great and it grossed elventy billion or whatever, no?

And while Netflix series are probably their bread and butter, their success is also going to be their downfall in this writers humble opinion.  People love binge watching series, especially good ones.  But series take a while to shoot, and as they become more popular, their production costs also rise.  Netflix needs to pump out a huge amount of product here to keep people viewing.  Because let's face it, I probably love 5-10 netflix series, and I like another 5-10 well enough, but there are dozens and dozens and more that I'm either not interested in or else watch a few episodes and say, nah.  So on the say 5 series I love, when they come out, I watch them over a weekend or week.  Then I'm stuck waiting for a year(s) for the next season to come out.  In the interim another 250 series come out.  They have something like 700+ series they are constantly rolling out.  One company.  That's a LOT.  Their cash burn rate is insane.  I do like Netflix quite a bit (probably more so now that I've cut the cable) but I can't see how they sustain this content.  I think they are counting on hitting a few home runs (such as HBO has done with Sopranos and GoT) and then raise their rates.  I dunno

guru_007 said:
FWIW, I think Netflix kinda already knows its movies aren't that good.  It paid way too much money to get people like Will Smith and Adam Sandler onboard to try to create some traction.  Not sure it's working.  Bright was o.k. but I have a hard time recalling a Netflix movie off the top of my head that was fantastic.  But let's face it, we also aren't paying $7.50 per ticket, plus concessions to sit down in a theater so that may also temper our expectations of movies.  A lot of the crap that goes to theaters these days are o.k. too. The "blockbusters" so to speak are more often than not franchise movies such as super heroes or star wars, etc....  Or else they are part of the PR machine that overhypes huge budget movies.  I mean, I liked Avatar quite a bit, but a lot of people didn't think it was that great and it grossed elventy billion or whatever, no?

And while Netflix series are probably their bread and butter, their success is also going to be their downfall in this writers humble opinion.  People love binge watching series, especially good ones.  But series take a while to shoot, and as they become more popular, their production costs also rise.  Netflix needs to pump out a huge amount of product here to keep people viewing.  Because let's face it, I probably love 5-10 netflix series, and I like another 5-10 well enough, but there are dozens and dozens and more that I'm either not interested in or else watch a few episodes and say, nah.  So on the say 5 series I love, when they come out, I watch them over a weekend or week.  Then I'm stuck waiting for a year(s) for the next season to come out.  In the interim another 250 series come out.  They have something like 700+ series they are constantly rolling out.  One company.  That's a LOT.  Their cash burn rate is insane.  I do like Netflix quite a bit (probably more so now that I've cut the cable) but I can't see how they sustain this content.  I think they are counting on hitting a few home runs (such as HBO has done with Sopranos and GoT) and then raise their rates.  I dunno
A lot of this makes sense.  I know there are good ones out there, but I also feel like the TV Shows are getting to a saturation point like the movies are.  I think your last point is probably accurate - throw a ton of stuff at the wall, hope 2-3 are mega hits that people can't do without like a GOT, have people hooked, and justify raising pricing.  

I am the opposite of Shuke, and am still a movie person first, so I have found the options disappointing so far on the main streaming services. 

If they ever come out with a show that I love, which they haven't yet, I would probably pay for 1 month, watch the season, and then cancel for the other 11 months of the year.  If they decide to roll it out slow, I don't need to see it as it comes out so I will still do the 1 month a year, but after the season is complete.  Once they start losing content to competitors like Disney, they just won't have the content to make it worth it for a year round service IMO.

Abducted in Plain Sight is insane.  90 minutes of wtf.
I watched this yesterday after reading the comments here. At first I was thinking that you guys might have been a little hard on the parents but that changed pretty quickly as the story unfolded. wtf is right. Way to be oblivious to what's happening. Crazy story.

I was the same but some friends convinced me to give it a shot. There is sappy stuff, but worth it for the pop culture references. Also the supporting characters are very enjoyable 

Mindhunter
Peaky Blinders
Black Mirror
Stranger Things
Dark
Ozark
Haunting of Hill House

Your list (plus Dare Devil and Seven Seconds which are both done) are my favorites on Netflix.

Will Haunting of Hill House continue? It seems the full story was told in the one season - but maybe it will be a anthology type series with a new storyline each season?

Mindhunter
Peaky Blinders
Black Mirror
Stranger Things
Dark
Ozark
Haunting of Hill House

Your list (plus Dare Devil and Seven Seconds which are both done) are my favorites on Netflix.

Will Haunting of Hill House continue? It seems the full story was told in the one season - but maybe it will be a anthology type series with a new storyline each season?
They easily left it with the ability to do a prequel and I'd be in :popcorn:  

Just wanted to point this out: anyone that thinks 90% of Netflix content is bad and the site merely grinds out content for profit should watch more network TV. Network TV has been unwatchable for years, and the profit motive is the same. 
That's one of the reasons I went to Netflix in the first place.  The fact that network TV and cable suck doesn't make Netflix worth it.  I'm ok with Netflix for now, but they are going to lose a lot of their best content when Disney takes their stuff away and then the price won't be worth it anymore IMO.  If people disagree and want to stick with Netflix, I truly don't care.  Do whatever you want.  All of this is subjective anyway.  Just because I don't like something or I do like something doesn't mean everyone else has to agree with me.

I would've paid 100 bucks just for Ozark and Peaky Blinders.

Still a bargain if you are a movie/series enthusiast but I guess not everybody makes FBG money.

:shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread