What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread) (3 Viewers)

Just finished "The Umbrella Academy."  Entertaining enough.  7/10. 

Two episodes into "Sex Education."  Pretty good.  A bit weird/creepy that it's set in a high school but it's original. 

:confused:

Jfc...my phone is in a fit this morning.

What's the issue with Ellen Page? Great in Juno and Hard Candy. The character is the weakspot in this show, but she's fine.

:confused:

Jfc...my phone is in a fit this morning.

What's the issue with Ellen Page? Great in Juno and Hard Candy. The character is the weakspot in this show, but she's fine.
She plays the same horrible character in everything. I also thought she was the weak point in this

"I'm Sorry" is a sitcom from TruTV of all places and S1 on Netflix now. It's pretty damn funny, too. Wife isn't prone to bursts of laughter but she was doing it here. Great, slightly raunchy (but with heart!) humor about a married couple with a kid in LA. Supporting cast of Judy Greer, Jason Moutonhanzankis , and others. 

The 4th and final season of Catastrophe is out today on Prime. Really good show for those looking for a dark adult comedy.
Didn't know it just came out... Watched the first few and thought I was catching up.

Definitely a fan, even if the first episode wasn't my favorite.

Watched Free Solo on Hulu last night.  I would say a good, not great movie.  Amazing personal achievement, and I have 0 clue how those guys do it.  That said, I was surprised how little footage of the climb there was at the end, and felt it was about 20mins too long overall.  With so of the comments in the other thread, maybe I was expecting a 90min white knuckle ride or something. 

Watched Free Solo on Hulu last night.  I would say a good, not great movie.  Amazing personal achievement, and I have 0 clue how those guys do it.  That said, I was surprised how little footage of the climb there was at the end, and felt it was about 20mins too long overall.  With so of the comments in the other thread, maybe I was expecting a 90min white knuckle ride or something. 
You should give "My Dinner with Andre" a go. 

It's the anti-Free Solo.
Not sure I'd go that far.  There's a lot of sitting and talking in Free Solo too.  

I thought it was good, but wouldn't put it in a upper tier doc list or anything. 

I was going to look it up- is his girlfriend related to the Into the Wild McCandless? (I thought they had the same last name anyway) 

"Scott Pilgrim vs The World" is a blast. Watched it this afternoon and thought it was such fun. Edgar Wright does a masterful, super stylized job of directing here. Cast is chockful and seems game. This was close to peak Michael Cera following "Juno" and "Arrested Development" and it's kind of fun to see him in retrospect. 

Another vote for Love, Sex, and Robots. Pretty much a screen version of a Sci-Fi anthology, so some stories are better than others. At about 10 minutes per story, real easy to jump in and out. Really good animation/graphics to boot.

Does anyone know how or why IMDB ends up with the user ratings it lists for things? The site says it's uses a weighted average based on adjusted viewer voting to eliminate people trying to stuff the ballot to artificially raise or lower an overall rating. That makes sense if someone always votes 1 or 10 or multiple occasions, especially when something has been released for about 8 seconds yet they rate 12 episodes a 1 immediately when it's obviously that person didn't watch the episodes.

I only mention it because there have been some shows that were rated somewhere in the 7 something range, but looking at the individual episodes of a show, the lowest rated episode was in the 8's with some episodes in the high 9's. Unless they think a studio or production company is involved in giving each episode an exceptionally high score, why would IMBD LOWER the overall series score? Similarly, why would they INCREASE an overall rating.

For example, The Wire has an overall rating of 9.3 . . . but the average episode rating is 8.3. We recently started watching Castle Rock, which has an overall rating of 7.8 but an average episode rating of 8.3. (I am not suggesting that the shows should be considered equals, only that they illustrate that the overall rating and average episode scores can vary in opposite directions.)

I only bring this up because at our house, we tend to research new things to watch and one of the criteria in picking something new is the rating (for better or for worse). I have never given a rating for anything on that site . . . for any people that have, are you asked to rate the show on a whole and then also asked to rate each individual episode? It almost seems that IMDB is getting themselves in the ranking / rating of shows, which makes me wonder if they are getting a kickback somewhere to raise ratings (or lower the ratings of a competitor).

rail said:
Another vote for Love, Sex, and Robots. Pretty much a screen version of a Sci-Fi anthology, so some stories are better than others. At about 10 minutes per story, real easy to jump in and out. Really good animation/graphics to boot.
Say terabyte 

Anarchy99 said:
Does anyone know how or why IMDB ends up with the user ratings it lists for things? The site says it's uses a weighted average based on adjusted viewer voting to eliminate people trying to stuff the ballot to artificially raise or lower an overall rating. That makes sense if someone always votes 1 or 10 or multiple occasions, especially when something has been released for about 8 seconds yet they rate 12 episodes a 1 immediately when it's obviously that person didn't watch the episodes.

I only mention it because there have been some shows that were rated somewhere in the 7 something range, but looking at the individual episodes of a show, the lowest rated episode was in the 8's with some episodes in the high 9's. Unless they think a studio or production company is involved in giving each episode an exceptionally high score, why would IMBD LOWER the overall series score? Similarly, why would they INCREASE an overall rating.

For example, The Wire has an overall rating of 9.3 . . . but the average episode rating is 8.3. We recently started watching Castle Rock, which has an overall rating of 7.8 but an average episode rating of 8.3. (I am not suggesting that the shows should be considered equals, only that they illustrate that the overall rating and average episode scores can vary in opposite directions.)

I only bring this up because at our house, we tend to research new things to watch and one of the criteria in picking something new is the rating (for better or for worse). I have never given a rating for anything on that site . . . for any people that have, are you asked to rate the show on a whole and then also asked to rate each individual episode? It almost seems that IMDB is getting themselves in the ranking / rating of shows, which makes me wonder if they are getting a kickback somewhere to raise ratings (or lower the ratings of a competitor).
:mellow:

i tried "Narcos: Mexico" and gave up pretty quickly. the voice-over narrator and the clumsy start to the story just pissed me off. 

did watch "free fire" with brie larson, armie hammer, and cillian murphy. the director, ben wheatley, does some interesting films. adaptation of a JG Ballard novel ("High Rise"), a spin on Wicker Man story ("Kill List", and the like. Free Fire is mostly pointless but i still enjoyed it. he's the kind of indie director that you can't quite put your finger on to categorize but does some neat stuff.

Thought Triple Frontier was a decent action movie. Granted its Netflix so I'm not expecting Die Hard.

Patch of Fog.  Stars Stephen Graham (played Al Capone in Boardwalk Empire).  Worth a look if you are into stalkers or those with an obsessive taste..

Dead in a Week. About a kid who hires an assassin (played by Tom Wilkinson) to kill him. Sort of a black comedy. A bit uneven but still ok.

Mostly through Turn Up Charlie . Starts Idris Elba as a middle-aged DJ. Wacky is the only way to describe this. Not great by any means but it has its moments.

Started watching the Disappearance of Madeline McCann.  Not sure how they are going to string this along for 8 one-hour episodes. I fear this will be the usual bloated Netflix documentary series we have come to expect..

Watched both seasons of Vexed.  English cop show. Enough sex/comedy/plot to keep you coming back. Its no Broadchurch by any means.

Thought Triple Frontier was a decent action movie. Granted its Netflix so I'm not expecting Die Hard.

Started watching the Disappearance of Madeline McCann.  Not sure how they are going to string this along for 8 one-hour episodes. I fear this will be the usual bloated Netflix documentary series we have come to expect..
we started Triple Frontier last night... not sure if we'll revisit based on the comments in here.

that maddie mccann thing- we watched the first episode, except I thought it was just a one-part documentary. 8 episodes? no gracias. girl got took and never got found. I don't need 8 hours of "you'll never guess what happened next" conspiracy red-herrings to learn that the girl got took and never got found. 

i'm four episodes in.  it's ok.  not great.  they diverge and compare it to other famous missing children stories, which is mildly interesting.   i'll finish it out just because I like true crime stuff.

Does the Marvel series "Luke Cage" get any better after the 1st episode? I thought S1 of DD was "meh" and JJ was only marginally better (mostly the writing but I've found that a little Kristyn Ritter goes a long way..). Colton isn't much of an actor with Cage but it's crazy how awful the writing is in the hands of superior actors like Mahershala Ali and Alfre Woodard. 

Does the Marvel series "Luke Cage" get any better after the 1st episode? I thought S1 of DD was "meh" and JJ was only marginally better (mostly the writing but I've found that a little Kristyn Ritter goes a long way..). Colton isn't much of an actor with Cage but it's crazy how awful the writing is in the hands of superior actors like Mahershala Ali and Alfre Woodard. 
Disliked Luke Cage.. Great supporting character, crappy lead. :thumbdown:

If you didn't like DD and JJ season 1 were both bad I'd stop now as I thought both those seasons were pretty damn good and Luke Cage sucked. 

Continued with another couple of episodes of "Lodge 49" and can't muster the enthusiasm to stick it out. I can't decide if it's trying too hard or not trying hard enough. 

Is Fringe worth tackling?

First two episodes are pretty solid.

Surprised I'd never heard of Anna Torv before and that she hasn't really been in much. Kind of a mature Blake Lively.
Was doing  a GOT rewatch but got distracted because I saw Fringe was in Amazon Prime.  Anna Torv has similar characteristics as Laura Prepon.  And I realized Laura Prepon would have been a much better Olivia

Watched the movie Triple Frontier. Kind of boring but not terrible. Not sure that's a ringing endorsement.
This movie is a mess.  These guys are supposed to be the elite of all US military?  Sheesh.  They barely survived taking a compound with 4 guards watching tv and making sammiches.  And what's up with that?  Hey cartel guy, nice defense plan you doofus.  

And Affleck is the mastermind they must have on  the team? Watch your six, genius.  

Stupid ### movie.  Should have skimped more on the music budget and invested in a screenwriter.  

This movie is a mess.  These guys are supposed to be the elite of all US military?  Sheesh.  They barely survived taking a compound with 4 guards watching tv and making sammiches.  And what's up with that?  Hey cartel guy, nice defense plan you doofus.  

And Affleck is the mastermind they must have on  the team? Watch your six, genius.  

Stupid ### movie.  Should have skimped more on the music budget and invested in a screenwriter.  
Agree with this.  Actually started to fast forward through some scenes to get to the end faster.

Is Fringe worth tackling?

First two episodes are pretty solid.
This might be off Netflix by now, but I'd recommend.

Warning: There is a LOT of wasted potential this series didn't explore. (There's a lot of ".....but wait, hang on a second...." in this)

I'd rate it above Continuum and below Travellers

Not finding much else on the other two that is sticking, so in advance of GOT coming out, I fired up an HBO Now subscription and put a few shows in the queue.  Finally started watching The Wire last night.  

What was the name of the more movie-centered streaming service? Filmstruck?  Is that firing back up soon?  (I guess I could use the search function and not be a lazy ###).  

Not finding much else on the other two that is sticking, so in advance of GOT coming out, I fired up an HBO Now subscription and put a few shows in the queue.  Finally started watching The Wire last night.  

What was the name of the more movie-centered streaming service? Filmstruck?  Is that firing back up soon?  (I guess I could use the search function and not be a lazy ###).  
Wire may be on AP still. 

Filmstruck has been replaced with the Criterion Channel.

Wait a sec...you’ve never seen the wires?

Users who are viewing this thread