What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread) (13 Viewers)

guru_007 said:
Hap and Leonard. Oh boy.   I don't even know where to begin on this one, nor what I was getting myself into.  Still on season 1 here so the jury is still out but this show is a bit off the trodden path.  Really like the two leads and the secondary cast are a bunch.  We'll see.
I’m a huge Joe R Lansdale fan and love the books but I couldn’t get though 3 episodes of this.

Shadow...takes place in South Africa where an ex-cop delivers his own brand of justice.   If you suspend disbelief, its a fine action series with a few sub plots thrown in and the girlfriend is crazy hot to boot.

Just watched the first episode of this based on your recommendation. Its definitely over the top, but I enjoyed it. Its a fun action show. I'm in for more. 

It needs nudity, though.

Wife and I watched episode 1 of Handmaid’s Tale about a month ago.  We haven’t decided if we’re contiuing.   Not sure why, it seems like it would be something up my alley.  Maybe because I’ve read the book so already know what’s going on? 

Please advice.  

Wife and I watched episode 1 of Handmaid’s Tale about a month ago.  We haven’t decided if we’re contiuing.   Not sure why, it seems like it would be something up my alley.  Maybe because I’ve read the book so already know what’s going on? 

Please advice.  
I think it's one of the best shows from the last several years.  :shrug:    There are a couple missteps in S2, but still damn good TV.   One of my favorite books and one of my favorite genres, so take that FWIW.

guru_007 said:
Hap and Leonard. Oh boy.   I don't even know where to begin on this one, nor what I was getting myself into.  Still on season 1 here so the jury is still out but this show is a bit off the trodden path.  Really like the two leads and the secondary cast are a bunch.  We'll see.
I will knife fight anyone that disagrees with me about Hap and Leonard. I watch each episode with a huge grin. Love this show. 

Please advice.  
Haven't read the books, so I don't know how faithful it is to the source material... but it's a worthwhile watch.

The overall story is preposterous, but acting is incredible and the individual episodes have just enough tension to keep you interested

Haven't read the books, so I don't know how faithful it is to the source material... but it's a worthwhile watch.

The overall story is preposterous, but acting is incredible and the individual episodes have just enough tension to keep you interested
Interesting.  I love it so much because I see it as a little too realistic. 

3 episodes in and I'm enjoying it.  The story's still being worked out but the young girl who plays Hannah is pretty good and she kicks ### about as convincingly as she can

Production values are great with some fantastic sets and scenery.  Prime must have spent a boatload on this show.

So far I'll give it 4 out of 5 stars on the Lifetime Channel scale. 

3 episodes in and I'm enjoying it.  The story's still being worked out but the young girl who plays Hannah is pretty good and she kicks ### about as convincingly as she can

Production values are great with some fantastic sets and scenery.  Prime must have spent a boatload on this show.

So far I'll give it 4 out of 5 stars on the Lifetime Channel scale. 
Did you see the original movie? If so, is it necessary or is this a complete reboot?

Just saw Layer Cake

It's a 2004 British movie with Daniel Craig and some other familiar faces in other shows about a drug dealer. Similar feel to Snatch and Lock Stock (and the same producer or director I think). Never heard of it, saw it on the list and watched and enjoyed it. Entertaining flick and worth the watch if you haven't seen it. 

Did you see the original movie? If so, is it necessary or is this a complete reboot?
The show, so far 2ish eps in, is a retelling of the movie but filled out a bit.

I loved the movie. Loved how the makers made it feel like a fable throughout, which felt distinct and unique. Also beautifully filmed and acted w great music...again. All supporting the fable idea. The show seems to have completely lost the fable theme, which is a bummer. Also not sure about dad- a role Eric Bana played with a lot of depth- but here not so much yet...even though I like the actor and enjoy seeing The Killing reunion with the redhead.

So for me, I'm still in not as good as the movie mode, which is disappointing. But the story is compelling on it's own and I'm interested in seeing how the diverge from the original. And as lifetime network boy mentioned, great locations and good action 

Black lightning really like the show, much better than iron fist or luke cage.

Really? I know the bar is low with those two but I've never seen worse previews than the ones I saw for Black Lightning. Looked like it belonged in an even worse version of the Arrow/Flash CW universe. And that's saying something. 

jamny said:
I liked the first 3 episodes of Love, Death + Robots well enough. The animation was cool and I liked the voiceover work but the 4th was really good, where the 2 creatures are pitted against each other using mind control. That was intense...and hot too towards the end. Each has been entertaining so far.
Through 3 myself. Insane animation with loads of nudity and some gore. Overuse of the F word though... very interested to see the rest.

Really? I know the bar is low with those two but I've never seen worse previews than the ones I saw for Black Lightning. Looked like it belonged in an even worse version of the Arrow/Flash CW universe. And that's saying something. 
So you don't like arrow or flash? 

Is this a chick show? I have watched most of Season 1 and think the acting is very good. I secretly like it.
I wouldn't classify MM as a chick show,  It's a high quality period piece that just happens to revolve around a women trying to find her way who happens to be really funny. 

Finished up Hanna.  Good watch.  The middle dragged a bit, but that tends to be the case with most shows and the action completely became unrealistic, but still a good watch overall. 

We really liked The Highwaymen ...

One of the better movies I've watched in a while.. :thumbup:

The struggle the rangers go through with not only the other law who disliked the Rangers, but their internal struggle with living with the results of what they do to solve the pursuit was done very well.
Agreed.

At times a little slow, but I don't mind that and enjoyed the way it was done. 

We stopped watching Highwaymen with about 45 minutes left and will probably finish today. It was ok so far but a little too slow. Hopefully the ending picks up, which I'm assuming it will as they close in.

The struggle the rangers go through with not only the other law who disliked the Rangers, but their internal struggle with living with the results of what they do to solve the pursuit was done very well.
I liked it except for Costner’s Christian Bale Dark Knight Syndrome with his voice.  I considered subtitles a few times.

Some more recently watched shows and some takes as to why I rank them as such

GREAT:

High Maintenance - Well made, isn't stupid or need to be high to be enjoyable like other stoner movies/shows.

Animal Kingdom - Pretty good story telling and satisfies that itch when Sons went off the air.  There's just something unique about American trailer trash and their lives.  The Aussie movie this was based off of is well worth watching as well.

Fargo - All seasons of the tv show have been great and worthwhile.

Shannara Chronicles - What a shame this was cancelled.  Excellent world and atmosphere.  Horrid acting by alot of the young cast, but the settings and dynamics of the world make up for it.  Not corny and childish like harry potter and just a step down from the LOTR movies.

Girlfriend Experience - both seasons were very good to great.

Americans - probably the best acting for a show on American television.

Insecure - Fantastic.  A much more 'realistic' and relateable Atlanta for those of us on the west coast.

Friday Night Lights - Got around to watching this and the first season was very good.  Successive seasons were good at best.

Game of Thrones - Fantastic overall.

Power - To me, one of the best shows on television.  Cast is very good.

The Knick - Absolutely fantastic.  Someone needs to pick this show back up.

Major Crimes - My favorite crime show after CSI went off the air.  Excellent chemistry between the cast.

Cold Case - Excellent television.  Rivals CSI at it's height.  

Sherlock Holmes - First few seasons were great.  Seems as if Cumberbatch and Freeman mailed it in after the first couple of seasons.

The Killing - First season was great, second was pretty good.  Kinnaman and Enos have tremendous chemistry.

MERELY GOOD:

Girls - good story telling and very realistic regardless of what you may think of Dunham.  Chemistry between the girls almost as good as Sex in the City.

Better Call Saul - Odenkirk can't carry a whole show like Cranston could.  Still, great writing.

Murdoch Mysteries - Solid detective show with a good setting.

Atlanta - It's OK for what it is.  Not all that profound.

House - This was pretty good.  Laurie had charisma to spare

Homeland - It's not bad.  Worth watching.

The Walking Dead - The comics are way better.

Scandal - Pretty good, but nothing great.

The Affair - Above average.  

The Fall - Very good first season..... then it drags on about the same thing and ...... yawn.

Bodyguard - Not bad, but probably overrated for what it is.

AVERAGE to BELOW AVERAGE

Star - Demorest is unbelievably charismatic but the writing is very weak.

Westworld - Dumb and way more eye roll worthy than thought provoking.

Orphan Black - The lead actress is versatile... but that's about it.  Sat through a season of this and yawn.

The Crown - Setting and atmosphere is very nice, but the rest of this is boring.

STUPID ISH

Orange is the New Black - dumb as ish.  Stopped at 5 episodes.

Stranger Things - wtf would anyone older than 10 want to watch this?  Should be classified as a children's show.  Corny as ish.

REALITY SHOWS:

Jersey Shore Vacation - Pretty damn good television.  THE best reality tv show of all time (non-competitive).

Last Chance U - Mediocre.  Way too repetitive

Alive - Fantastic.  This last season was the best one yet.  A 'real' Survivor.

Terrace House - Not bad for what it is.  The Hawaii season was much better.  Can be boring and alot of the cast has zero personality.

Top Chef - Still the best cooking show on TV.

Hell's Kitchen - Second best cooking show on TV.

Masterchef - Third best cooking show on TV.

GREAT:

High Maintenance - Well made, isn't stupid or need to be high to be enjoyable like other stoner movies/shows.

Animal Kingdom - Pretty good story telling and satisfies that itch when Sons went off the air.  There's just something unique about American trailer trash and their lives.  The Aussie movie this was based off of is well worth watching as well.

Shannara Chronicles - What a shame this was cancelled.  Excellent world and atmosphere.  Horrid acting by alot of the young cast, but the settings and dynamics of the world make up for it.  Not corny and childish like harry potter and just a step down from the LOTR movies.

Girlfriend Experience - both seasons were very good to great.

Insecure - Fantastic.  A much more 'realistic' and relateable Atlanta for those of us on the west coast.

Friday Night Lights - Got around to watching this and the first season was very good.  Successive seasons were good at best.

Power - To me, one of the best shows on television.  Cast is very good.

Major Crimes - My favorite crime show after CSI went off the air.  Excellent chemistry between the cast.

Cold Case - Excellent television.  Rivals CSI at it's height.  

Sherlock Holmes - First few seasons were great.  Seems as if Cumberbatch and Freeman mailed it in after the first couple of seasons.

The Killing - First season was great, second was pretty good.  Kinnaman and Enos have tremendous chemistry.

MERELY GOOD:

Girls - good story telling and very realistic regardless of what you may think of Dunham.  Chemistry between the girls almost as good as Sex in the City.

Better Call Saul - Odenkirk can't carry a whole show like Cranston could.  Still, great writing.

Murdoch Mysteries - Solid detective show with a good setting.

Atlanta - It's OK for what it is.  Not all that profound.

House - This was pretty good.  Laurie had charisma to spare

Scandal - Pretty good, but nothing great.

The Affair - Above average.  

The Fall - Very good first season..... then it drags on about the same thing and ...... yawn.

Bodyguard - Not bad, but probably overrated for what it is.

AVERAGE to BELOW AVERAGE

Star - Demorest is unbelievably charismatic but the writing is very weak.

Orphan Black - The lead actress is versatile... but that's about it.  Sat through a season of this and yawn.

The Crown - Setting and atmosphere is very nice, but the rest of this is boring.

STUPID ISH

Orange is the New Black - dumb as ish.  Stopped at 5 episodes.

Stranger Things - wtf would anyone older than 10 want to watch this?  Should be classified as a children's show.  Corny as ish.

REALITY SHOWS:

Jersey Shore Vacation - Pretty damn good television.  THE best reality tv show of all time (non-competitive).

Last Chance U - Mediocre.  Way too repetitive

Alive - Fantastic.  This last season was the best one yet.  A 'real' Survivor.

Terrace House - Not bad for what it is.  The Hawaii season was much better.  Can be boring and alot of the cast has zero personality.

Top Chef - Still the best cooking show on TV.

Hell's Kitchen - Second best cooking show on TV.

Masterchef - Third best cooking show on TV.
you watch a bit too much tv bro

While I don't agree with all or that much of the review/ratings, I genuinely applaud Pauly's effort here.

I remember loving reading Shanara as a kid, (even though I was aware it was a blatant and not as good LoR ripoff) and was kinda jazzed to see the show. Couldn't make it more than a couple- was just awful as I recall. Might give it another shot seeing it on your list..

Imo, the Crown was amazingly made TV on all fronts- and I didn't and still don't care about the British royalty.  I could see being  disinterested, but there's so much that's so good, I don't get actively disliking it. And Stranger Things was a fun nostalgia blast for anybody growing up in that era... not amazing- but fun. 

GREAT:

MERELY GOOD:

The Fall - Very good first season..... then it drags on about the same thing and ...... yawn

AVERAGE to BELOW AVERAGE

STUPID ISH

Re-ranked the ones I've seen

Agree with most, although I'd move Saul, Westworld and the Crown to great and The Killing (only watched the 1st season) and Sherlock Holmes to Good. Maybe move up Orphan Black to good but I never finished the series. Your write-ups on most are dead on too, especially Stranger Things. I'm glad I'm not alone in that opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't reconcile the fact that the same person who thinks MTV's Shanara Chronicles is just a step below LOTR and actually less corny than Harry Potter (wtf?) also thinks Stranger Things is for 10 year olds. 

I mean, damn like what you like. No hate there. I've gotten way too much enjoyment out of watching shows like The 100, Riverdale, and The Magicians. I even watched a season of Shanara before tapping out bc I'm a huge fantasy nerd and there's not much out there. And in the past few years I've actually grown to hate the term "guilty pleasure", like what you like and own it.

It's the inconsistency between the things above I don't get, I can't reconcile it! 

Arrow >>>> any Netflix Marvel show, IMO. 
Glad you like it. I liked the early seasons a lot. It has gotten incredibly corny with time although maybe it bounced back to a more gritty feel after I stopped watching. I doubt it given the ever-expanding shared universe and supporting cast. I think all DD and JJ seasons are better, but they're also doing a different thing. DD is the closest comparable and is way better imo. I'm sure part of that is the budget. 

I thought it was quality. I didn’t think it was slow like others did. Maybe because I expected it to be? 

We stopped watching Highwaymen with about 45 minutes left and will probably finish today. It was ok so far but a little too slow. Hopefully the ending picks up, which I'm assuming it will as they close in.
Finished it today. Wasn't bad. Not a must watch, imo.

Cjw_55106 said:
I thought it was quality. I didn’t think it was slow like others did. Maybe because I expected it to be? 
it fits the kind of acting that Costner does in every single single movie.

Costner - at Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, he lost me for good. As a huge fan of Errol Flynn's hood, I could not abide. 

I'll concede he may have some good stuff, but I still find it hard to digest. 

My wife said the same thing.

"It's Keanu Reeves. Same guy in every movie"
it's not that he's the same guy in every movie or without range. it's just every scene he's in seems to move at the *same* pace. he could be in John Woo or Luc Besson or even Kenneth Brannaugh flick and it wouldn't matter. it's like it just grinds to a halt.

wOw. Hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but YouTube is showing ep 1 of the new Twilight Zone and it was an inexcusable turdburger. Involving a standup comic's deal with the devil, so to speak, Kumail Nanjiani delivered neither his lines nor his jokes with humor or effect; the premise was weak, poorly resolved and hammered home in good ol-fashioned CBS "make-sure-the-peeps-get-it" style; the only laugh i got was from a youtube viewer comment. That's some weak, bruh. Had Jordan Peele never been a comedian i still would be embarrassed for him. Irony-free, clever-free, subtlety-free tripe. 

Last edited by a moderator:
wOw. Hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but YouTube is showing ep 1 of the new Twilight Zone and it was an inexcusable turdburger. Involving a standup comic's deal with the devil, so to speak, Kumail Nanjiani delivered neither his lines nor his jokes with humor or effect; the premise was weak, poorly resolved and hammered home in good ol-fashioned CBS "make-sure-the-peeps-get-it" style; the only laugh i got was from a youtube viewer comment. That's some weak, bruh. Had Jordan Peele never been a comedian i still would be embarrassed for him. Irony-free, clever-free, subtle-free tripe. 
My news feed has it getting glowing reviews (the headlines at least). Disappointing.

Wife and I finished S1 of "The Komensky Method" with Michael Douglas, Alan Arkin and Nancy Travis. My wife liked it more than me but the jokes/set-ups are pretty standard. Douglas needs better writing to be a reliable comedic actor while Arkin elevates even the most banal.

Started "Forever" on AP. Fred Armisen and Maya Rudolph play a married couple in a show done by one of the writer/producers of Aziz Ansari's "Master of None". Only two episodes in and I like it. Fred's just good fun. 

Users who are viewing this thread